PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown's surprise cut pick: Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes a serviceable running back, people have to get over the 1st round draft thing and just accept him for what he is instead of holding him to some lofty standards. Hes not the best back in the league but serviceable. Check out the other first round picks in the 06 draft and compare them to Maroney. Hes been on a top NFL team for going on 5 years, that aint a bust. Ask yourself if he was drafted in the 4th round what would you think of him.

It's not his fault he was a first round pick but a first round pick needs to be more than just serviceable. Otherwise, what the hell is the point of having a draft?

It's not his fault he was a first round pick but a first round pick needs to be more than just serviceable. Otherwise, what the hell is the point of having a draft?

Bringing in players with the understanding that some guys won't make it, some will be good but not great, and some will be great.

Same as it ever was.

You don't need a draft to do that... just a random selection of players. You expect the first round to be more than just serviceable. Why pay more for someone picked first if you're just expecting someone average?

More likely that if a RB is cut, it will be Morris of BJGE.

You don't need a draft to do that... just a random selection of players. You expect the first round to be more than just serviceable. Why pay more for someone picked first if you're just expecting someone average?

Despite your apparent believe, there are no guarantees when you draft players. The reality is that the Patriots haven't drafted a bust in the first round since BB has been running the team. That's unusual.

Instead of *****ing about Maroney, be happy that the worst NE's done in the first round has been Maroney/Watson. Most teams would kill for that to be true about their drafting.

You expect the first round to be more than just serviceable. Why pay more for someone picked first if you're just expecting someone average?

The idea is to reduce risk. A bust sets you back more than an average or good player sets you back.

Maroney is 25 and also with 18 game season you will need 3 backs to carry the load.
I have no issue if he is a 4+ yds/carry guy who gives you 800 yrs.

IN 2007 he ran for 122 yds back to back in the playoff but lets ignore these small things as he he can never do it.

Asked if he's seen enough of Maroney in practice to say that Maroney will help the team this regular season, Belichick said, "Absolutely."

Doesn't exactly sound like a guy who should be fearing for his roster spot.

Yes, we will need three backs to carry the load in 2011 or 2012 when there is an 18-game season. Of course, this has zero to do with Maroney who is only under contract for 2010 or are you suggesting an extension as was just given to Gostkowski?

The BOTTOM LINE for the 2010 season is the degree Belichick trust maroney with the ball. Benching Maroney in the playoffs was a major statement. In any case, depending on Belichick's confidence in Maroney, he could be
1) our #1 back
2) sharing the starter role with Taylor
3) a backup
4) cut or traded (and then Green-Ellis and/or a free agent makes the team)

I wouldn't be surprised with any of these results.

Maroney is 25 and also with 18 game season you will need 3 backs to carry the load.
I have no issue if he is a 4+ yds/carry guy who gives you 800 yrs.

IN 2007 he ran for 122 yds back to back in the playoff but lets ignore these small things as he he can never do it.

The BOTTOM LINE for the 2010 season is the degree Belichick trust maroney with the ball. Benching Maroney in the playoffs was a major statement. In any case, depending on Belichick's confidence in Maroney, he could be
1) our #1 back
2) sharing the starter role with Taylor
3) a backup
4) cut or traded (and then Green-Ellis and/or a free agent makes the team)

I wouldn't be surprised with any of these results.

Well, that narrows down the possibilities :rolleyes:

Lets be honest here folks. Considering the other 3 backs on the team are about 7-8 yrs past their "prime" and are basically huge injury risks, I am sure Maroney, regardless of how good/likeable/effective he is, will get a lot of carries during the season. He will be a big part of the offense.

On another note, Maroney was the 2nd back in his draft. If I remember correctly, Bush was #2 overall, then Maroney, Addai was at the back end of the 1st round, MJD was picked by Jacksonville and L.White was a Titans pick. Now excluding Bush because of his contract demands, I would say MJD is really the only back of the bunch I'd rather see on this team instead of Maroney. Not so bad in retrospect.

Lack of quality depth at the position is likely what is saving Maroney's spot right now. I heard the Pats were seriously interested in Hardesty so it's not like they don't want to upgrade the position. I expect to see a RB drafted in 2011 and early at that.

Do you really think that we would make running back a priority, given that we have exactly ZERO running backs signed for the 2011 season?

Seriously, I think RB will be a high priority for the team, but not necessary a high first rounder, probably no earlier than our own 1st (at the highest). High and Mid First round draft picks are notoriously poor values.

Lack of quality depth at the position is likely what is saving Maroney's spot right now. I heard the Pats were seriously interested in Hardesty so it's not like they don't want to upgrade the position. I expect to see a RB drafted in 2011 and early at that.

Troy Brown is part of the media.

What Troy Brown said caused a debate.

Mission Accomplished.

Seriously, I think RB will be a high priority for the team, but not necessary a high first rounder, probably no earlier than our own 1st (at the highest).

It might very well have been last draft too if the Montario Hardesty rumors are true. Still, I don't see Maroney getting cut this year considering that he's relatively cheap and relatively productive.

Maroney's not getting cut. He's likely going to be the #1 RB in the committee.

Why does this keep getting upped? It's just going to look stupid when he makes the final roster

Maroney's not getting cut. He's likely going to be the #1 RB in the committee.

It'll be Maroney #1 and Taylor #2, or Taylor #1 and Maroney #2, IMO

Last edited:
Lets be honest here folks. Considering the other 3 backs on the team are about 7-8 yrs past their "prime" and are basically huge injury risks, I am sure Maroney, regardless of how good/likeable/effective he is, will get a lot of carries during the season. He will be a big part of the offense.

On another note, Maroney was the 2nd back in his draft. If I remember correctly, Bush was #2 overall, then Maroney, Addai was at the back end of the 1st round, MJD was picked by Jacksonville and L.White was a Titans pick. Now excluding Bush because of his contract demands, I would say MJD is really the only back of the bunch I'd rather see on this team instead of Maroney. Not so bad in retrospect.

Deangelo Williams was part of that draft too, and I think Ryan Grant also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back