PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts- the sad day edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's a sad say of course, because of the travesty of justice perpetrated upon us all by the NYFL league office for their latest attempt to create parity in the league. It is also a sad day because we saw a number of very fine football players who WON'T be on the Patriots come Saturday evening. BB commented after the game on this, and I'm sure his feelings are shared by all his coaching brethren throughout the league. It must be tough to tell kids that for the moment their dreams have ended. Especially after watching them work so hard for the last 8 weeks doing everything you've asked of them. Unfortunately for us too many of them will likely wind up on OTHER team's rosters before Sunday comes around, but there WILL be room for 10 of them on the PS. Let's see how many come from OTHER team's rosters. As to the game.....

1. I've said enough about the perfidy of the media. Suffice it to say, I've had enough. Let me know what Chatham has to say , and give me a link when Reiss has written something and let the rest of them go F$ck themselves. I have no more interest in anything they have to say. When it's time for KO a week from Sunday, then I'll be at the bar watching the game, and not a moment before.

2. Could BMingo have had a more impactful introduction? Not if you scripted it. Multiple tackles, TWO forced fumbles, 1 tackle for a loss, 1 sack (taken away by a penalty) at least 3 QB hits, and a pass defensed. :eek:

Well that's the good news. The bad news, well it's not really that bad, but he ISN'T Jaime Collins (not that many people are). He's not nearly as strong or as physical at the point of attack. He is never going to be a DPOY candidate. He's done as a pass rusher if the OLman gets his hands on him. And if he doesn't have a head of steam off the LOS, he can get manhandled by those guys who are 100 lbs bigger than he is.

However that being said, IF USED PROPERLY, (and you know he will be here), he can be an explosive situational player, because he has the kind of speed that you just don't see from that position. Most importantly he looks like he is a willing player. The kind of guy who will buy in and work at it. In case he doesn't know it, he just died and went to heaven. (and I think he does. ;) )

IMHO for the near future he'll be playing ST's and backing up Collins, while he learns the D. He'll also be used as a situational player. That being said, I think that by the time the playoffs roll around, he'll be an integral part of the Defensive rotation, even if he never "starts".

Thanks for the parting gift as you went out the door, Mike Lombardi. :D

3. Obviously DJ Foster was the other player who flashed tonight. The kid just looks so comfortable catching the ball. He made a great catch on the play he fumbled. Not quite the explosiveness of Lewis, but close enough to make the first guy miss most of the time. He didn't have much blocking in front of him, but he runs with much more authority than James White.

If he hadn't missed so much of camp, James White would already have his bags packed, but I'm not sure the Pats will cut him just based on less than 2 weeks of work. White is what the Pats love most. He's dependable. They know what he can and cannot do. He catches the ball well out of the backfield and is a willing blocker. He runs like ****. But he is what he is. While I think Foster is the more well rounded player, the Pats might not want to take the risk just based on just 2 weeks work.

That being said, I think it will be Foster who gets the Tom Brady 4 game scholarship, which will give the Foster 4 more games to prove his dependability. I can't seeing him making it to the PS. Not after tonight's performance.

4. The biggest question of the off season has been the OL and even though all the answers aren't in, I think we are on track to be pretty good. I thought the overall talent was as deep as I've seen it in a while here. The loss of Volmer hurts a lot, but Marcus Cannon has had his best pre season of his career, and I feel a lot better about him.

I was very concerned when Solder went to the sideline with an apparent hamstring. I'm a lot less concerned now. He never went to the locker room and later could be seen standing by the OL group while Dante was coaching. He didn't even have an ice bag on his leg. I'm pretty sure (hoping) that it was a cramp of the hamstring that they worked out. He probably would have returned if had been a real game.

The announcers sometime made it seem like Brady was under constant pressure, but to my mind it was the Giant's secondary that was the problem. Most of the time, Brady never got to go to his first read, and even then he was throwing into very tight windows. And those times when Brady was forced to step up in the pocket he had a clean one BECAUSE of the good blocking.

BTW- did Cooper play at all tonight? He's been gone so long, I forgot to look for him

5. MBennett has been an overall disappoint thus far. Perhaps it could be all the over hyped expectations going into the pre-season games. But the fact is that he never was much of a force, even when Gronk wasn't there. I love his personna, so I hope that he works out well here. He certainly has the pedigree to do well.

6. On the other hand I think Chris Hogan will be the guy we all hoped that Brandon LaFell would turn out to be. And it needs to be said that this was Dobson's best preseason game. 3 catches for 60+ yards. That is what he needs to be. He is never going to be a 10 catch guy like Edelman. But he NEEDS to be the guy who averages the 15+ yds per catch guy who can stretch the D a little, and open it up more underneath. Tonight he "did his job".

7. It can't be said strongly enough, but this defense is missing BOTH their top DE's and it's been close to unstoppable this pre-season. THAT is how good this defense is

8. Bubble Players I think you HAVE to have on this team
a. DJ Foster - as I have already explained
b. Anthony Johnson - He's flashed for 3 straight games now, at multiple positions. BB clearly likes the concept of the quick inside guy would can be moved all over. He hoped he had him in Easley, (and production wise, he did) now I think he gets a second chance with AJ. We have a bunch of big power guys in Brown, Branch, and Valentine. Johnson gives us a different and needed skill set that can help situationally.
c.JJones - Even though he was beaten for the TD, he was right there. To me it's a lot like early Butler, when he was missing making plays by inches. Plays he now makes because of experience. Its his raw speed that separates him from LeBlanc, who I know has his proponents. One is going to make the team, hopefully the other gets to the PS.
d. AJ Derby - Despite Christian Furia's impassioned plea, I think Derby should be the #3 guy. Sad, for Clay Harbor, he didn't do much to lose the job. Derby just took it from him when he was hurt. In an ideal world, you'd love to have Derby on PS, but I doubt he'd get there.
e. Gruier Hill - KGH is that hybrid S/LB that needs to be on a roster. I've been harping on the need to have a guy with a Brandon Browner skill set on our roster. In an age of ever increasing giants at WR, we will be entering the season with a roster of midget CBs. Well maybe that guy who plays the big TE's or can walk out on the big WR's will end up being someone like KGH in time. In the meantime the kid is looking like a kick ass ST player.

9. Elandon Roberts, won my heart, even though he probably lost his chance to make this squad. Clearly he was hurting in the 2nd half, but never left the field, even though it was affecting his play. I can understand he what he was thinking. If I were his dad, I would be very proud. I hope he makes the PS, he's a good football player.

10. Lastly I can't help but mention Jacoby Brissett. I have to say, I can't remember seeing a rookie QB come in and look so much in command of his offense. The kid has a great presence about him as well as a plethora of physical tools. That being said, I hope I don't see him on the field for the rest of the year. ;) I now have great hope for him, though I don't envy him.

It took a long time coming, and many imposters before him, however Jacoby Brissett WILL be the guy who replaces Tom Brady sometime in the next 4 years....and though he'll never be the GOAT, I predict he will be as good a replacement as we could hope for.

11. It's 1am now. I think than rather than do it now, I'll submit a post in the next day or two on how I think the Pats are going to prepare for this game, and what strategies that they will use to spring an upset over the Cardinals. Good Night all.

Another must read by one of the greatest contributors here in Patsfans history. Thank you, Ken.

I must disagree with your beginning premise though...it's NOT a sad day. If anything, it's a BAD day for Roger Goodell, for it heralds the onset of the swift and steep decline of his existence as an all powerful, cyclopean despot running amok in our society, with seeming impunity>

I began a steady stream of electronic and snail mail correspondence with numerous federal government agencies demanding an investigation into this remarkably resilient megalomaniac's actions, going back to early February. I urge any/all fans of NFL football to do the same. This IS an election year. That means everyone that can be exploited should be exploited to rip the lid off this scurrilous NFL offices criminal enterprise. No, not a sad day...a NEW DAY...hopefully leading to the END OF DAYS for this immense miscreant, Roger Goodell.

Another must read by one of the greatest contributors here in Patsfans history. Thank you, Ken.

I must disagree with your beginning premise though...it's NOT a sad day. If anything, it's a BAD day for Roger Goodell, for it heralds the onset of the swift and steep decline of his existence as an all powerful, cyclopean despot running amok in our society, with seeming impunity>

I began a steady stream of electronic and snail mail correspondence with numerous federal government agencies demanding an investigation into this remarkably resilient megalomaniac's actions, going back to early February. I urge any/all fans of NFL football to do the same. This IS an election year. That means everyone that can be exploited should be exploited to rip the lid off this scurrilous NFL offices criminal enterprise. No, not a sad day...a NEW DAY...hopefully leading to the END OF DAYS for this immense miscreant, Roger Goodell.

Well, as we discussed in Ken's history in another thread, cutdown day is a sad day for HIM. ;)

Seriously, that's when a lot of guys are kicked off the team who, except for the roster limits, everybody would want to keep.

Ken, we are very lucky. Compared to that dog and pony show we had to deal with watching these preseason games and listening to uninformed, boring, unengaging commentators, we've been treated every game to your ITs, and they've been great as always. I think if you and Chatham were in a booth, you'd have everyone's attention straight up. Especially when you come up with lines like:

He runs like ****. But he is what he is.
:D

The GOAT of football will be taking a semi-break for the next 36 days, but the GOAT of Patriots internet posting will still be here with us. So I think we'll be just fine.

Nice post. The only reason James White may make this team is because Foster did not show that he was capable of carrying the ball between the tackles either. They both have similar skill sets with White being a proven commodity in the system. Getting Lewis back will be a breath of fresh air to this offense. With him on the field, the defense will no longer be able to key on run or pass pre-snap like they can with White/Foster and Blount on the field.

Always look forward to this insightful post... have never let me down. I am relegated to following this online because I got caught up in a bait and switch deal with Direct TV that does not carry the Boston Channels.

Have read the reports and difficult to tell as I trust the eyeball better than anything else...

I share your anger about Goodell and feel it slowly building until Saturday at 4:00 PM... "It's ok Clay, James and Julius we take your word for it"..

It's OK Josh Gordon to be with the Browns.."The last few times Josh was suspended, he couldn't be with the team, and that was counterproductive," Rosenhaus said. "This is a great change, the fact that he can stay with the team during the suspension. Commissioner Goodell believes the ability for Josh to work with the team during his suspension will help him. He went outside the norm in this case."

F.. Goodell and his idiotic, selective decision making..

Stay tuned to talk radio today, as they will be on fire regarding the decision to play #12 last night, "you know what might have happened to Tom"???

Last edited:
It is interesting to see Brissett looking like he has a huge future, whilst Goff has really struggled. That doesn't mean Goff will flop, it would be idiotic to say that, but it would be very much like Bill to pick up the next generation in the third round whilst higher profile names struggle.

Great read @patfanken Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't see Mingo backing up Collins. He doesn't have the girth or power on the inside to stop someone cold. He'll be on the outside screaming up the field. He'll take snaps away from every player who lines up at OLB or DE not named Hightower and Collins on passing plays on a situational basis.

They need White and Foster. I don't see it as a or.

Agree on Cannon and Hogan.

Bennett will be fine. He's done enough here for me to believe he is a major upgrade over Scott Chandler. I don't think he'll have monster #s. 40/600/5Tds. Just too many weapons in this offense

I hope Jimmy is renting. Brisket will be better than Jimmy next year.

Last edited:
Great post Ken. I was also impressed with Mingo. Both he and Long are playing like born-agains, with a second chance at football life. Two great pickups.

The one player I continue to be impressed with is Brissett. He has poise and is calm in the pocket. There was a snap earlier in the 3rd quarter where the pocket simply collapsed like a house of cards, but Brissett didn't panic, he fired a bullet to Harper or Carter who dropped the pass. Perhaps @bbobbo could create a GIF of this play? He never looked rushed or in a frenzy, but was progressing through his reads with a fluidity.

And now for the worst two days in the life of all NFL players who aren't superstars. Today and tomorrow are going to be such long days.

Another great outing for Brisset. Mingo and Foster are just fun to watch. I hope Foster doesn't pay too high a price for the fumble. Butler is becoming otherworldly. Dare I say shut-down?

Yes, a sad day for most rookies, but on the bright side, some UDFA is going to have his dreams realized. Maybe more than one.

7. It can't be said strongly enough, but this defense is missing BOTH their top DE's and it's been close to unstoppable this pre-season. THAT is how good this defense is

Completely agree. Haven't felt this good about our D coming out of pre-season EVER! If this translates into the regular season, it is going to be fun!

I'm very intrigued with Anthony Johnson and now Mingo: lighter-weight and fast, creating mismatches and disruption. You can't block what you can't catch!

I wish all of our players that don't stay with us after this weekend good luck. They've worked very hard.

Another great outing for Brisset. Mingo and Foster are just fun to watch. I hope Foster doesn't pay too high a price for the fumble. Butler is becoming otherworldly. Dare I say shut-down?

Yes, a sad day for most rookies, but on the bright side, some UDFA is going to have his dreams realized. Maybe more than one.

Malcolm seems stickier than last year. Can't really describe or explain it better. More playing experience may have given him the confidence to trust his instincts more. Better anticipation. Plus having DMC and Harmon back there allows him to play that way. If the safeties sucked he'd play off more frequently IMO.

Not sure he'll have more INTs but he'll have more PDs and his comp % will go down. However more INTs mean that they'll throw more to Ryan's side- which could be ok if he keeps up with his ballhawking ways.

Ken, you're really pissing me off!
I love making some snarky comment finding a tiny flaw in your essay but I can find nothing in your major points to disagree with.
I agree that my man Bisquick looks better than any rookie Pats QB I ever saw. He throws the long flat darts that Bledsoe amazed us with but he seems to be much more of a student of the game. Very comfortable in the pocket. Yeah, I know. His defensive opponents will be working at Walmart next week, but still.
/fanboy

...and, of course, controversially traded away their other DE from last season. So that's zero of the three guys who made up last year's rotation, and looking like they haven't missed a beat. Amazing.

In an unrelated random musing: does Cyrus Jones look like a running back to anyone else? The compact, muscular frame, quick lateral cuts, good hands, good vision....

Always look forward to this insightful post... have never let me down. I am relegated to following this online because I got caught up in a bait and switch deal with Direct TV that does not carry the Boston Channels.

Have read the reports and difficult to tell as I trust the eyeball better than anything else...

I share your anger about Goodell and feel it slowly building until Saturday at 4:00 PM... "It's ok Clay, James and Julius we take your word for it"..

It's OK Josh Gordon to be with the Browns.."The last few times Josh was suspended, he couldn't be with the team, and that was counterproductive," Rosenhaus said. "This is a great change, the fact that he can stay with the team during the suspension. Commissioner Goodell believes the ability for Josh to work with the team during his suspension will help him. He went outside the norm in this case."

F.. Goodell and his idiotic, selective decision making..

Stay tuned to talk radio today, as they will be on fire regarding the decision to play #12 last night, "you know what might have happened to Tom"???

Now that Brady has 4 weeks of enforced time away from the Pats and the NFL* I hope he can find some ways to keep himself occupied to help pass the time.

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Fishing. Very relaxing, and it is so peaceful going to a quiet place and communing with nature.

2) Find a classic car in a junk yard somewhere and work on restoring it to mint condition.

3) and just to note, this is my preferred option.... Get your legal team together and start working on the defamation lawsuit against the NFL* that those cheating bastages so richly deserve.

Last edited:
Malcolm seems stickier than last year. Can't really describe or explain it better. More playing experience may have given him the confidence to trust his instincts more. Better anticipation. Plus having DMC and Harmon back there allows him to play that way. If the safeties sucked he'd play off more frequently IMO.

Not sure he'll have more INTs but he'll have more PDs and his comp % will go down. However more INTs mean that they'll throw more to Ryan's side- which could be ok if he keeps up with his ballhawking ways.
I agree. It's simply a matter of time and more reps. What did BB say in his post game talk to the idiots. "I don't see how you can get better WITHOUT playing football" Well Butler has been out there now for 2 full years playing football and getting better, and we've had the pleasure of watching it. The SAME goes for Ryan. Why is every one shocked he's better. He's better because he's more experienced and he's worked hard at his craft and he's had good coaching.

That brings up another point I failed to mention last night. I happen to notice, at the very end of the game Vinnie Sunseri going up to Matt Patricia and giving him a hug. Now Vinnie Sunseri is NOT going to make this team, even though he is an NFL quality safety and ST player. There are simply too many better players on this team. So I thought it was telling that a player who KNOWS he's going to be cut, would go up to his coach and thank him for the experience. THAT's why this team wins every year. They find a way to get their players better....and the players know it.

BTW- thank you RW for that term "stickier". It's perfect to describe why I like JJones to make this team over LeBlanc. He is "just stickier" Even though he isn't experienced enough to make the play sometime when the pass is perfect, he's there, and EVENTUALLY he'll get better, just as we saw Butler get better over the course of last season and into this one

I agree that my man Bisquick looks better than any rookie Pats QB I ever saw. He throws the long flat darts that Bledsoe amazed us with but he seems to be much more of a student of the game. Very comfortable in the pocket. Yeah, I know. His defensive opponents will be working at Walmart next week, but still.
/fanboy

The best part is he was supposed to be a kid with awful mechanics and shaky on-field decision making but off-the-charts intangibles. He knows how to cope with not playing (he had to sit out a year in college after transferring) and he'll put in the work to get better and better.

Now that Brady has 4 weeks of enforced time away from the Pats and the NFL* I hope he can find some ways to keep himself occupied to help pass the time.

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Fishing. Very relaxing, and it us so peaceful going to a quiet place and communing with nature.

2) Find a classic car in a junk yard somewhere and work on restoring it to mint condition.

3) and just to note, this us my preferred option.... Get your legal team together and start working on the defamation lawsuit against the NFL* that those cheating bastages so richly deserve.
Amen to #3 G, Tom's a competitor, maybe after he retires, he takes revenge on the system that forced him look that sad and feel that bad, last night. I'd love to force THE LEAGUE to defend themselves in open court. I would love to see THEIR phones and email for that time be revealed. I'd love to hear the head of that phony lab explain how they got their phony number and tell the pressure he was under to create them. Etc, etc, etc. It really needs to happen., He owes it to the player who will come after him to expose the corrupt cabal that is running the league currently

Great post Ken. I was also impressed with Mingo. Both he and Long are playing like born-agains, with a second chance at football life. Two great pickups.

The one player I continue to be impressed with is Brissett. He has poise and is calm in the pocket. There was a snap earlier in the 3rd quarter where the pocket simply collapsed like a house of cards, but Brissett didn't panic, he fired a bullet to Harper or Carter who dropped the pass. Perhaps @bbobbo could create a GIF of this play? He never looked rushed or in a frenzy, but was progressing through his reads with a fluidity.

And now for the worst two days in the life of all NFL players who aren't superstars. Today and tomorrow are going to be such long days.

While I love what we have seen with Brissett, I would like to ask how hard is it for a big armed QB to learn touch?

It seems to be one of the things he is lacking, certainly Mallett continued to struggle with it, but isn't this something that should already have been addressed in college?

How about other NFL* QBs with big arms? Are there examples of ones who had this issue and overcame it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3