PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown's surprise cut pick: Laurence Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess since there are only two or three real scouting services available to the public, I would put them in the top three. I mean PFF has Damien Woody as a top 5 tackle in the league. How could their information be wrong?

Seriously, PFF must have some serious Marketing and PR guys working overtime. I look at their rankings and think they are utter crap, but they have half the football fans out there thinking their rankings are the gold standard.

Thats because they have the market cornered. Football fans would go berserk for a legitimate scouting source that would compile rankings like that if they were accurate. When you stumble on PFF you think you finally found it.

Thats because they have the market cornered. Football fans would go berserk for a legitimate scouting source that would compile rankings like that if they were accurate. When you stumble on PFF you think you finally found it.

That's the funny part though, Football Outsiders actually does what PFF claims to do. It doesn't reach quite as far, mostly because they probably understand that it's near-impossible to be accurate at PFF's claimed level, but it does a *very* good job at what it does (adjusting for SoS, building efficiency stats that correct for style of play, etc. etc.)

I guess since there are only two or three real scouting services available to the public, I would put them in the top three. I mean PFF has Damien Woody as a top 5 tackle in the league. How could their information be wrong?

Seriously, PFF must have some serious Marketing and PR guys working overtime. I look at their rankings and think they are utter crap, but they have half the football fans out there thinking their rankings are the gold standard.

I dunno, pretty much everyone seems to understand how crappy PFF is. The only people who are still holding out, it seems, are Maroney-bashers who are desperate to validate their opinion on him.

Trade him and a 2nd for Jackson.

Boombaddabing

It's obvious BJGE will be the starter based on the reps in preseason games.

/sarcasm

One of the things I love about BB is that he tells it as it is. I get really angry at coaches in sports who act like everything is fantastic and that their loss was down to the refs etc. I don't think it takes a genius to realise that he is about to rip the team a new one after that (not that I've seen the game yet).

WB, Mr. Gomezcat. I hope all the Gomezcat family is well.

Last edited:
I think they're keeping Maroney because they have nothing but injury prone backs after him. What I just don't understand is how and why they handle Maroney the way they do. If you're going to keep him then he needs the work. They seem to do this every pre-season with Maroney. He doesn't get the game time in during the PS. The HOF QB with a bad knee is out there every game because he needs to work on things but the young RB who has things in his game that he needs to work on is used sparingly??? I just don't get it. Maroney doesn't get the practice time and then we lament why he never seems to live up to his potential. Running back is one of those postions where the Patriots are simply quite weak at coaching up young players. In fact has BB ever taking a young Patriot back and made him an impact player?? It is a point of weakness with this organization/coaching staff.

A strong relationship?
Then why did Bill bench LaMa after the fumbles in NO & Indy, and after Ray The Murderer (allegedly) Lewis sacked Brady (which wasn't LaMa's fault, BTW)?
Looks more like a deteriorating relationship from here.

Cousin, Excellent post. Can't see him coming back at all next year. You have got to be kidding yourself if you are a Cousin poster who believes that.

Second point, Troy Brown is far from stupid and knows a bit about what is going on inside the locker room more and understands what BB wants more than any talking heads. But finally so we don't have the LoMo family weeping and gnashing your teeth, it was Troy's "opinion" based on value to the Team and performance as he sees it. Even the best LoMo fan on this site will have to admit other than a few games in four years, this guy has been a first round bust other than promising better things every year. His career has been a shame.

Some explanations have been "BB resting him in pre-season"...come on people. "He will get hurt in the regular season anyway so why get him hurt now" some others may say is another reason.

I don't see Welker and Brady resting up for the season. Please explain that to me please.
DW Toys

I think the odds are about even that they'll bring back Maroney, and I don't think he's been a bust. Cousin.

I think the odds are about even that they'll bring back Maroney, and I don't think he's been a bust. Cousin.

When you keep stating for the resigning of Maroney in 2011, is to be a spell back/Kevin Faulk, or to be the starter for a few more years?

When you keep stating for the resigning of Maroney in 2011, is to be a spell back/Kevin Faulk, or to be the starter for a few more years?

To keep a young, inexpensive, serviceable back as part of the RBBC.

I'm sick of Maroney's game play but we do have to keep him. He's definitely better than Benny and we sure as hell cant have all our running backs being over 30.

And what makes you think Maroney would want to play for the Pats?

Playing for the Pats is a RB's worst nightmare.

Second point, Troy Brown is far from stupid and knows a bit about what is going on inside the locker room more and understands what BB wants more than any talking heads. But finally so we don't have the LoMo family weeping and gnashing your teeth, it was Troy's "opinion" based on value to the Team and performance as he sees it. Even the best LoMo fan on this site will have to admit other than a few games in four years, this guy has been a first round bust other than promising better things every year. His career has been a shame.

Hes a serviceable running back, people have to get over the 1st round draft thing and just accept him for what he is instead of holding him to some lofty standards. Hes not the best back in the league but serviceable. Check out the other first round picks in the 06 draft and compare them to Maroney. Hes been on a top NFL team for going on 5 years, that aint a bust. Ask yourself if he was drafted in the 4th round what would you think of him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey