PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trent Richardson traded to colts for 1st rd pick

Dumb move for the Colts for a number of reasons:
  • In today's day and age, unless you are getting Adrian Peterson, you don't spend a first rounder on a RB. They aren't that valuable anymore and you can get a 1200 yard back in the second, third, or even fourth round these days. The Colts definitely overpaid.
  • I don't care if Richardson faced 8 in the box all the time, he was just not the runner people thought he was. He should be more successful with the Colts, but I don't know if he is going to be worth the first round pick or even come close to living up to his lofty expectations coming out.

Kudos to Lombardi for making a great trade to help his team rebuild (or in their case build). They can now potentially get a Teddy Bridgewater with their pick and use the Colts' pick to get a solid starter somewhere else.

Browns have double picks in rds 1, 3, and 4.

Expect 1a and 1b to be QB and WR, 2 to be RB, 3a and 3b to be WR and probably OL. Complete offensive overhaul is in the near future for that team.

Here Lombardi. . . . Here Lombardi. . . .

They can now potentially get a Teddy Bridgewater with their pick and use the Colts' pick to get a solid starter somewhere else.

Assuming they get the 2nd overall pick?

There's no way anyone passes on Clowney... right?

I don't think anyone expects the Browns to be competitive until at least 2015.

I haven't seen alot of him, but is this a case of Browns completely rebuilding? By trading last years 3rd pick?

now if they just hand over one of those #1s for Mallet, they can start to rebuild for real

Browns giving up on season after 2 weeks lol. Reminds me of when they traded their starting quarterback(Charlie Frye) after week 1 a few years back(07 maybe?).

Smart move for the Browns. Anytime you can get a first round pick for an average starting RB, you do it. They have a ton of picks next year. Not sure what the Colts were thinking.

Assuming they get the 2nd overall pick?

There's no way anyone passes on Clowney... right?

I don't think anyone expects the Browns to be competitive until at least 2015.

Clowney will probably go number 2. Bridgewater, if he stays healthy, will go #1 overall. You should watch some Louisville. Bridgewater is a fun QB to watch.

I read this on another message board, thought it was funny:

Lombardi had to do this. Belichick wouldn't take just one first rounder for Mallett, so he had to get a second one.

I read this on another message board, thought it was funny:

Lombardi had to do this. Belichick wouldn't take just one first rounder for Mallett, so he had to get a second one.

WTH, let's throw in Ridley with Mallet for just a single 1st and some Egg Rolls. No need to get greedy ....... get some Duck sauce too. :singing:

Congrats for landing Ras Dowlings cousin Colts fans.

Wow.

Browns throwing in the towel and playing for 2014 already.

Granted, Richardson was drafted by the old regime - but still, he was what, the 3rd overall draft pick?

The Colts just got a whole lot better, strengthening what was a weakness.

Until proven otherwise I suppose I'll give the Browns credit for sticking to their convictions that Richardson was not in their long term plans, and this is better for the team in the long run - even though they know it's going to be an extremely unpopular decision with their fans and their media.

Indianapolis Colts Football | INSTANT REACTION: Trent Richardson acquired for 1st-round pick

Colts weakness is Offensive Line that can't protect Luck! Richardson hasn't shown any ability to pass block or as a receiver out of the backfield. They are better off using Bradshaw. I give Mike Lombardi and his staff alot of credit for stating the previous GM made a huge mistake trading up in the 1st round for a RB. If Colts tank (like I think they will this year) then the Browns made a hell of a deal in what should be a great 1st round talent wise in 14.

sorry if this was already mentioned, but does this mean Mallett to Browns for a first rounder? lombardi is in love with him.
What a joke!

I'm still waiting for that second round pick for Brian Hoyer.

I disagree about how "easy" it is to find a good RB. The Patriots had been looking for a workhorse guy since Corey Dillion, the Steelers still have not found a replacement for Bettis, Jets last solid RB was Curtis Marting, Saints last guy was Deuce McCalister, Ronnie Brown was solid for the Phins but he was always hurt.

Running backs are not easy to find. Now, teams "can" win without them, but to say they are easy to find, well...I disagree.

Heck, the Colts have not had once since Edgerin James, Chargers since Tomlinson, Broncos had McGahee but he was a FA pickup.

Richardson is more than just a good RB.

I think this new regime in Cleveland is not enamored with their Weedon, they didn't pick him and you have to remember that is is almost 30 because he played minor league baseball. They have already given up on this season and are looking to stockpile picks so they can get the franchise QB that they need. If I sucked, I would have tanked for Luck a few years ago. I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this class. Bridgewater (Louisville) is clearly the best followed by McCarron (Alabama) and then Murray (Georgia). Maybe they are going to go to the spread and go with Jonnie Football.

You can not win in this league without a quality NFL caliber QB, give the league some time and they will quickly adjust and shut down the spread option. All of these temas that have invested in these types of QBs will be looking for something else soon.

I disagree about how "easy" it is to find a good RB. The Patriots had been looking for a workhorse guy since Corey Dillion, the Steelers still have not found a replacement for Bettis, Jets last solid RB was Curtis Marting, Saints last guy was Deuce McCalister, Ronnie Brown was solid for the Phins but he was always hurt.

Running backs are not easy to find. Now, teams "can" win without them, but to say they are easy to find, well...I disagree.

Heck, the Colts have not had once since Edgerin James, Chargers since Tomlinson, Broncos had McGahee but he was a FA pickup.

Richardson is more than just a good RB.

It's not easy but you have a great chance of drafting a great RB outside the first round. Same can't be said about QBs

If you look at the great RBs at the moment you'll find many drafted outside the first round. McCoy, Foster, Rice, Charles, Jones-Drew, Ridley, Morris, Forte were all drafted outside the first round and are great RBs.

If you look at the great QBs drafted outside the first round: Brady, Brees,Kaepernick and Wilson. Brees and Wilson both got only drafted so late because of size issues. Kaepernick was an early 2nd round selection.

The rest of the good QBs in the league at the moment are all first rounders and most of them even high first rounders

Colts weakness is Offensive Line that can't protect Luck! Richardson hasn't shown any ability to pass block or as a receiver out of the backfield. They are better off using Bradshaw. I give Mike Lombardi and his staff alot of credit for stating the previous GM made a huge mistake trading up in the 1st round for a RB. If Colts tank (like I think they will this year) then the Browns made a hell of a deal in what should be a great 1st round talent wise in 14.

I have to wonder what you've been watching. Richardson is solid in pass protection and caught 51 balls last year in 15 games. He's a three down back. I will readily agree that a lot of people overrate him (only because they think he's a top five RB in the league when he's not), but what you're saying simply has no basis in reality.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back