PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Rumor: Steven Jackson to the Pats? (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Florio says Steven Jackson would look good in siilver and blue.

How many years does he have left on his contract?

This is a good site to track down salary info.

Jackson
Steven Jackson

"8/21/2008: Signed a six-year, $44.805 million contract. The deal contains $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11.395 million signing bonus. Another $4.495 million is available through incentives. He must average 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving over the first four years to void the final two seasons on his contract. 2009: $5.5 million, 2010: $6.105 million, 2011: $7.2 million, 2012-2013: $7 million (Voidable Years), 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $7.4 million (2009)."

His annual salaries are not that bad but the Pats are not in the best cap shape, $5.16 million according to PatsCap.com, Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2009 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Don't see this happening.

Re: Florio says Steven Jackson would look good in silver and blue

Way too much to give up in both cases.

You wouldn't trade BJGN and a 2010 third rounder for Steven Jackson??

You wouldn't trade BJGN and a 2010 third rounder for Steven Jackson??

They wouldn't accept that trade. I wouldn't give up Matt Light and a 3rd rounder for Steven Jackson as of right now. Let me watch Vollmer for a little bit then ask me again after the season.

I don't know why you guys are getting worked up over an idea Florio has come up with. This is pure speculation and opinion on his part. Although it would be great to have Jackson in a Pats uniform, what's the point? The Pats are a passing team and will find a way to keep the ball out of the RB's hands. A better trade would be for a WR.

I don't know why you guys are getting worked up over an idea Florio has come up with. This is pure speculation and opinion on his part. Although it would be great to have Jackson in a Pats uniform, what's the point? The Pats are a passing team and will find a way to keep the ball out of the RB's hands. A better trade would be for a WR.

Really! Florio is hanging out here having a good laugh for himself.

We can also see if Jacksonville is wanting to deal Maurice Jones-Drew amid his comments...

Maurice Jones-Drew questions Jacksonville Jaguars offensive attack - ESPN

...though he would probably get killed behind our O-Line at his size. ;)

maybe the almost nonexistent holes our line creates for runners is exactly what Jones can use....

on the other hand, i relaly like jones, and he said this:

""We have to figure out a way to be consistent," Jones-Drew said. "The running game is like chess. The running game is your pawns. They don't really mean that much in the beginning, but at the end, they surround the king and it's check mate. That's what the running game is."

Get Maroney's former Minnesota partner Marion Barber in a trade with Dallas and send Maroney to the Cowboys and a 2nd rounder next season.

At least Barber can run consistently and with power.

Id like this even better:D

maybe the almost nonexistent holes our line creates for runners is exactly what Jones can use....

on the other hand, i relaly like jones, and he said this:

""We have to figure out a way to be consistent," Jones-Drew said. "The running game is like chess. The running game is your pawns. They don't really mean that much in the beginning, but at the end, they surround the king and it's check mate. That's what the running game is."

Yeah, the good thing about having MoJo (as he's known in Jax) is that the O-Line only has to open up very, very small holes.

So would Peppers, Nhamdi, Ware, AP. Not gonna happen

Johnson's done, or close enough to it that it doesn't matter..

Johnson is not done I have seen him play 3 times this year and the guy is still running with good speed and power and running hard. That offensive line is horrendous at the moment and is not opening holes for anyone. These are the week 5 stats for the Chiefs OL courtesy of chiefsplanet.com a KC Chiefs message board:

Albert - 4 penalties, 4.5 sacks allowed
Waters - 5 penalties, 0.5 sack allowed
Niswanger - 1 penalty, 0.5 sack allowed
Goff - 1 penalty, 3.5 sacks allowed
Ike Ndukwe - 3 penalties, 1.5 sacks allowed
Wade Smith - 1 penalty, 1 sack allowed
O'Callaghan - 1 penalty, 0.5 sacks allowed

That is absolutely abysmal play by an offensive line against a Dallas defense that DIDN'T HAVE A SACK THROUGH THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF THE SEASON. I don't know how Cassel is still standing up straight. If LJ were traded to a team with a decent/good O-Line, he would see a huge boost in production.

I've been campaigning for LJ in a few other threads regarding the running game and think he would come at great value. Pioli and Belichick seem willing to help each other out and I think LJ could probably be had for a 4th. He would bring back much added physicality to our running game.

Last edited:

Nothing against Jackson, I think he's a good player, but a RB is hardly what we need. Maroney's not as bad as some people make it sound. There's hardly any holes for him to run through and we're not exactly committing to the run.

However, if we do trade for Jackson, he'll be a good addition because he is a good player. Same thing with Larry Johnson.

.....eh, yes he is.
DW Toys

Yes not as bad. Maroney carried us in late 07 and into the playoffs. We committed to the run and he produced. He broke his shoulder last year, not his fault. And when he's had holes this year, he's produced. Granted, he does dance when there's no hole, but what can you do? The main difference between Maroney and our other backs is that when there's no hole, Morris, Taylor, Faulk, will run straight into the pile, while Maroney dances and tries to go outside and lose a yard or two. It's not a good play and he needs to realize that he can't outrun people in this league, but I don't believe for one minute that he's done here.

eh....yes he is.
DW Toys

I think we're fine at RB doing it the way we've been doing it. We simply have too much $$ invested in the Brady-Moss connection to afford what Jackson is going to demand once. Save it for when Mayo, Butler, and Merriweather's rookie contracts run out.

What team would want Maroney? He svcks.

Out of all the goofy threads about "lets trade for so and so", or "so and so just got released should we sign him" ,,,,,,,,,This is actually a great idea.

No, I dont think Maroney is as bad as some people say, but Jackson is ALOT better. I would love this trade, but i seriously doubt its going to happen. :(

I think we're fine at RB doing it the way we've been doing it. We simply have too much $$ invested in the Brady-Moss connection to afford what Jackson is going to demand once. Save it for when Mayo, Butler, and Merriweather's rookie contracts run out.

Thats precisely the reason that you go out and get a feature-back who can get you the 3rd and 2s and keep the defense honest.

Moss has been blanketed. Brady is 32 and needs a running game to keep him healthy and productive going in to his mid/semi-late 30s.

Although I don't think the deal will happen, a feature back will help the Pats maximize their investments.

My .02$

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore