PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady as a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBradyWoot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I was at the Dolphins message board and found this thread on Dan Marino. In it they talk about what a jerk he was an how rude he was to fans. So, has anyone here ever met Tom Brady? What kind of guy is he?

Never met him obviously but he definitley seems like a good person. Respects the fans and sticks up for his team mates.

I sat next to Tom at a Sox game back in summer of 2002. Great guy and a Sox fan too(at least that night). Really down to Earth and funny. I tried to buy him a beer, he would not let me. Instead, he bought me the beer:).

I briefly met Dan Marino back in the early 90's at Disney World. He, along with almost every other QB, was there competing in the annual QB challenge. They were all staying at the beach club. Dan was polite and signed every autograph. However Steve Young went out of his way to talk to all the kids around.

In addition, I have a good friend who figured out how to do a mail merge back in Marino's rookie season. He sent out letters to 100+ athletes. Dan was the only one to respond. Ever since, the poor chap has been a Dolphins fan.

Athletes are people too. They have good and bad interactions with other people. I know I would not want to be judged by my worst interactions.

I sat next to Tom at a Sox game back in summer of 2002. Great guy and a Sox fan too(at least that night). Really down to Earth and funny. I tried to buy him a beer, he would not let me. Instead, he bought me the beer:).

I briefly met Dan Marino back in the early 90's at Disney World. He, along with almost every other QB, was there competing in the annual QB challenge. They were all staying at the beach club. Dan was polite and signed every autograph. However Steve Young went out of his way to talk to all the kids around.

In addition, I have a good friend who figured out how to do a mail merge back in Marino's rookie season. He sent out letters to 100+ athletes. Dan was the only one to respond. Ever since, the poor chap has been a Dolphins fan.

Athletes are people too. They have good and bad interactions with other people. I know I would not want to be judged by my worst interactions.

Great post.

What do we gain trying to tear people down? It's petty.

So true. I have NO interest in fame, awful to think of going through life knowing that the slightest moment of public imperfection would be food for a thousand blogs. Remember that slam on Ben Watson for leaving a waitress "only" a 17-percent tip? :rolleyes:

I think he really does not like the spotlight, he is no Doug Fluite, who eats that up... Plus back in the hey day (2001).. He did not even want to have a press confrence all alone, but has been forced to do it now because of pressure for the Pats PR... I also think Bledsoe was somewhat aloof , he never came out of the tunnel like Tom does at Gillette

Well friggin put. It really boggles my mind how quick we are to judge atheletes/celebrities. We all do stupid, mean, idiotic things from time to time, the difference is only a few people will find out about it instead of the entire world.

As for Tom, all accounts seem to point to him being the good guy he seems to be. What you see is what you get with him, I'd guess.

Met Tom in 04 (correct me if im wrong, all my trips get confused) when the Colts were defeated by Willies goal line stand. My Uncle has cerebal palsy and is confined to a wheelchair, so that forces us to use seperate bathroom and emergency facilities. Tom and a few NE personel were looking over some sort of paperwork when he went up to my Uncle and told him he was wearing the wrong hat. Asked him how he was and signed a program. He found out we're Rhode Islanders, shook his head in disbelief, and jokingly said he would throw the program in the trash.

Good guy. Like almost every Patriots player.

I think I'm the third one to quote this, so obviously it's a good one. What I'd like to add is that not only do many people judge famous people by their WORST interactions, sometimes it seems like ALL of their interactions are scrutinized. I'm sure it is very difficult to have to live your life in a fishbowl.

Fortune - Yes

Fame - No

Fame and Fortune - Still no.

brady seems like a genuinely good guy

marino always came off as a fake (but a great qb)

wouldn't be surprised if marino gets as annoying as theismann one of these days

brady seems like a genuinely good guy

marino always came off as a fake (but a great qb)

wouldn't be surprised if marino gets as annoying as theismann one of these days

Being a Pats fan, I too always disliked Marino and his arrogant ways. His outward confidence would really get under my skin (I guess I have issues). Anyway, about 8 years ago, I was invited to play in a Dana Farber charity golf tournament held in Florida featuring practically every Boston sports athlete I idolized as a kid...Ted Williams, Yaz, Bobby Orr, Bill Lee, John Havlicek ...And Otto Graham was in my foursome. Anyway, there was a dinner and auction that evening and one of the items for auction was a Dan Marino autograghed football that noone bid on because every golfer was from New England. So I scooped it up for the minimum and I happened to ask the event organizer why this event would have the Marino ball. She replied that Marino never ever refuses a charity request and that the man will practically go to the ends of the earth to fulfill his commitments. I have been to maybe 15 auctions in S Florida since and Marino always has something up for bid. Anyway, my opinion lightened up on Dan the Man since then.
P.S. I took that Marino football and walked over to Bobby Orr and had him sign the other side. It was the least he could do after nailing me with a golf ball on the chipping green.

When I was stationed down in Miami for three years, the locals would say how the Dolphins have never been the same since Marino left( which is true) but in the same breath, how he was always so rude to the fans.

I was at the Dolphins message board and found this thread on Dan Marino. In it they talk about what a jerk he was an how rude he was to fans. So, has anyone here ever met Tom Brady? What kind of guy is he?

I've met him on a couple of occasions and to answer your question about what sort of man he is,just adopt Belichick's stance; judge him by his overall body of work.
The most glaring thing about him that doesn't completely translate to TV or even photos is his intensity.
As to his character,I doubt that even very good people can look perfect when scrutinized.

True..........

So true. I have NO interest in fame, awful to think of going through life knowing that the slightest moment of public imperfection would be food for a thousand blogs. Remember that slam on Ben Watson for leaving a waitress "only" a 17-percent tip? :rolleyes:

It sucks, let me tell ya. Women throwing themselves at me. Everyone asking for autographs. My wife nudging me and complaining that I'm talking in my sleep again. Happens all the time.

But just think how your life would have changed if your Patriots mock draft had been 100%. Fame? yes! Fortune? ESPN might have wanted you for the 2 day draft and all the specials pre & post?

You never know what event will change peoples lives.

I think he really does not like the spotlight, he is no Doug Fluite, who eats that up... Plus back in the hey day (2001).. He did not even want to have a press confrence all alone, but has been forced to do it now because of pressure for the Pats PR... I also think Bledsoe was somewhat aloof , he never came out of the tunnel like Tom does at Gillette

I think I'm as big a fan as there is of Tom Brady and enjoy nothing more than watching my boys in their #12 Pats Jerseys, but the guy doesn't seem to do anything to discourage the paparazzi, at least here in nyc. this doesn't mean he's not a great guy, which apparently he is, but i don't think we can say he "does not like the spotlight" anymore...

i've said before out here that i don't think folks in the Boston area fully appreciate what a celeb-stud he's become. he's way beyond peyton manning who has sort of a wholesome midwest appeal, and certainly light years beyond LT and others who have to be positioned in a football context for an ad to work.

i took my twin four year olds for a haircut last weekend and the woman cut it short for the summer. when she was finished, in the middle of Manhattan mind you, she said "There, you look just like Tom Brady."

Last edited:
Good guy. I used to live a street over from him in Marina bay. Very down to earth. I never really talked to much football with him other then wishing him luck. Type of guy who you can have a beer with.

but the guy doesn't seem to do anything to discourage the paparazzi, at least here in nyc.

He's smart. The way to get the paparazzi off your ass is to be out there and flood the market with pictures. If he tried to hide from them, he'd attract more since his pix would be more valueable.

I think he does like the spotlight, but not necessarily being in it. Does that make sense? Brady would not date actresses (OK, his ex-girlfriend was not really a celebrity until she dated Brady...I mean who knew her before Brady??? Maybe 20 people!) and Supermodels if he hated the spotlight. He must like something about it. It doesn't make him a bad person, just one that should not complain about losing privacy when you are basically screaming for people to look at you!

Honestly if Brady was average looking, this would never be an issue, but the fact is he is above average looking and a multi Superbowl Champion so he is well sort after by the press. The Baby thing actually has heightened his celebrity status, not a good thing, but if this was say, JP Losman having a baby with a B-list actress it would be a non story! Brady's looks and appeal work for him and against him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents