PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady and the 4 Year Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotDynasty99

On the Roster
Reaction score
Tom Brady is unique. We all agree. And yet, he's always been undersold. At Michigan, they preferred the hotshot local recruit and wanted to give him the job. After splitting time, eventually Brady proved the better QB. Fittingly, in his final game, he beat Alabama in an epic come from behind victory (sound familiar?).

No one wanted Brady in the draft. Scouts ignored game film and instead focused on his combine performance, where his speed, quickness, strength numbers were at the bottom of the chart.

And now, all these years later and approaching 40, Tom Brady sits at the mountaintop as the greatest QB in NFL history. Passing records, MVPs, and of course, 5 Super Bowl victories illustrate an incomparable career.

But Bill Belichick and all of New England is asking the tough question about when should be the time to bid the legend farewell and move forward. After all, you can't expect this to continue forever. Besides, there's another hotshot backup QB waiting in the wings and with the collective bargaining agreement you can only keep him for so long. Plus, of course, the young guy rightfully wants to play. He's waited long enough, he's ready to take over. And Brady is old, surely at the end of his career.

For me, it isn't a tough call. I've reviewed tape of the 1st and 2nd year Brady, I've reviewed several games from this year and honestly I'm blown away by how little Brady has lost. His arm strength is unquestionably still there. He still moves very well in the pocket, something instinctual that he's always possessed. And the intangibles, the tireless work, the great leadership, the emotional pulse of the team, will be there as long as he's playing. Tom Brady will be Tom Brady with little drop off for the next two years. He also very likely can still be a very good QB with some drop off for an additional two years after that.

If I'm Bill Belichick, here's what I'm thinking: I've made some great off season moves, and this team is loaded and ready to win another Super Bowl. I have a desperate, wanting franchise in the Cleveland Browns who have multiple draft picks and are willing to give me a boatload of those draft picks for my backup QB. I have a 4 year plan. I'll take those picks, load up even more, take some of the pressure of Tom Brady, and in so doing, likely be the favorite to win the title all 4 years. And while letting go of my backup QB, I'll still continue the search for my next QB AFTER Brady, perhaps even selecting one in this year's draft.

Yes, investing, believing in a 40 year old QB is unique, different. But knowing you could potentially win the next 4 Super Bowls (making that 5 in a row!), well, that is the reason you play the game, right? Tom Brady has publicly stated his willingness to commit to the organization for the next 4 years. In turn, would the organization be bold enough to commit to him?

I hope this is how it plays out. Putting your faith in Tom Brady and surrounding him with the best talent you've ever had, could lead to a 4 year window unmatched in sports history. And people, 4 years is a lifetime in sports.

If it plays out this way, enjoy the ride. It'll be beyond anything you've ever imagined.

Last edited:
I think Garrapolo will be traded if the offer is right. Although they really don't need to move up to #12 because of the way this draft is shaking out the value of that pick would still make it desirable. I don't see Belichick moving Garrapolo without getting great value in return, they will simply stick with him and let him play it out. The right offer however should lead to a trade. I'm sure the Patriots are more than confident they can find another prospect to coach up and take over once Brady decides to hang them up, and that's if they don't believe in Brissett, which we really don't know. Imo the timeline we are really looking at is Brady hanging them up around 2020. By that point we will have moved on to the Brady/Davis Mills debate. And I will argue forcefully that Brady is only 44 and his best years are still ahead of him.

I pity the fool who says otherwise.

For me, it isn't a tough call. I've reviewed tape of the 1st and 2nd year Brady, I've reviewed several games from this year and honestly I'm blown away by how little Brady has lost.

Anyone watching tapes from early Brady to now should notice glaring differences in the speed of the game. Watch for the quickness of play after play and the offense as a whole. I am not talking about between snaps. Now many QB's have played an entire career and not had near that. This is what Brady is struggling to keep. They had a tough time with the short stuff the past few years. Unbelievably Brady worked his ass off on it and also worked on his deep ball and actually became a better QB I think. How long can he tread water before time pulls him under? 4 years? I don't think so

Anyone watching tapes from early Brady to now should notice glaring differences in the speed of the game. Watch for the quickness of play after play and the offense as a whole. I am not talking about between snaps. Now many QB's have played an entire career and not had near that. This is what Brady is struggling to keep. They had a tough time with the short stuff the past few years. Unbelievably Brady worked his ass off on it and also worked on his deep ball and actually became a better QB I think. How long can he tread water before time pulls him under? 4 years? I don't think so

That must be why he has the quickest release in football. What a total load of bullsh.t.

Brady took apart the SeaHawks in the 2014 Super Bowl by getting rid of the ball before the best pass rush in football could get there, and the NFLN caught Bennett saying they simply couldn't get to Brady fast enough because he was getting rid of the ball so quickly.

Talk about flat out making sh.t up.

Last edited:

Can I count myself as one of the people who isn't particularly interested in playing chicken with Father Time? We've had a good run with Brady, he's already exceeded every expectation we could have made of him, and the fun and games have to end sometime. I'd rather they ended a little too early rather than a little too late.

I'm not calling to replace Brady immediately -- just to show that they have a plan for how they intend to do so tomorrow if they need to. That being said I don't think we trade Garoppolo until and unless the team is convinced that Brisset or another backup quarterback can START for the Patriots TODAY. That's clearly not the case (or at best, not clearly the case) right now so I don't see Garoppolo being moved at the moment. He's too tough to replace himself right now, and we may wind up desperately needing him.

You know what the problem is with Jimmy Garrapolo?

He's too old.

That must be why he has the quickest release in football. What a total load of bullsh.t.

Brady took apart the SeaHawks in the 2014 Super Bowl by getting rid of the ball before the best pass rush in football could get there, and the NFLN caught Bennett saying they simply couldn't get to Brady fast enough because he was getting rid of the ball so quickly.

Talk about flat out making sh.t up.

"Ivan The Terrible". It has nothing to do with the release of the ball. It is the process of getting to it. Can you recall what happened at the beginning of that season? I am pretty sure that is when he started working with Tom House. House is a well known pitching coach. Next year will be 4 years removed from that. Now try not to get all goofy over this stuff ok?

"Ivan The Terrible". It has nothing to do with the release of the ball. It is the process of getting to it. Can you recall what happened at the beginning of that season? I am pretty sure that is when he started working with Tom House. House is a well known pitching coach. Next year will be 4 years removed from that. Now try not to get all goofy over this stuff ok?

No getting " goofy" at all, Brady reads what is going on and gets rid of the football faster and better than any QB in the game and you are simply making sh.t up. Doesn't get any weaker than that.

Hey man, I'll settle for treading water for another seven years, and enjoy five more rings no problem!

Just need a little sunblock & some shades, thanks...
th

I definitely remember the beginning of the season, Garrapolo was asked to start four games and only made it through five quarters. Brady came back shortly after that and proceeded to go 14-1 and win the Super Bowl. Nothing spells TIME FOR A CHANGE than that kind of sucky performance.

I definitely remember the beginning of the season, Garrapolo was asked to start four games and only made it through five quarters. Brady came back shortly after that and proceeded to go 14-1 and win the Super Bowl. Nothing spells TIME FOR A CHANGE than that kind of sucky performance.

See you got so goofy you are looking at the wrong season. Look 2 years before that.

See you got so goofy you are looking at the wrong season. Look 2 years before that.

My ignore list may end up getting full if I keep in seeing garbage like this.

Adios dip sh.t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft