PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady and the 4 Year Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL!

The question remains, if evwn you have difficulty explaining how to make it happen, why do you take sick offense when others point that difficulty out to you?

Do you think no one else realizes Brady doesn't have that much time left? Or that it takes more prep for a 40year old to get ready than a 25year old? Do you think that even the most ardent trade supporter wouldn't favor keeping Jimmy if NE could force him to stick around at $5mm a year?

The entire basis for trade supporters has been the problems with actualizing the JG succession plan; dismissing it so casually means you haven't understood the argument.

Ding ding ding ding ding

We have a winner.

LOL!

The question remains, if evwn you have difficulty explaining how to make it happen, why do you take sick offense when others point that difficulty out to you?

Do you think no one else realizes Brady doesn't have that much time left? Or that it takes more prep for a 40year old to get ready than a 25year old? Do you think that even the most ardent trade supporter wouldn't favor keeping Jimmy if NE could force him to stick around at $5mm a year?

The entire basis for trade supporters has been the problems with actualizing the JG succession plan; dismissing it so casually means you haven't understood the argument.
I understand the argument perfectly. I just don't think an argument is a substitute for a plan.

I understand that you guys want to give Tom Brady as much time on the field as humanly possible. I respect that. Nobody wants this ride to end. All I want to see right now is signs that the ride will end in a planned way not a crash. I don't really care when it ends, just that when it does end, the team has some good options to try and carry on.

Garoppolo is the best guy I've seen sitting behind Brady in Brady's 17 years with the team. I have no problem moving on from him if it's clear that there's another very good successor lined up in the next handful of years. I want that continuity, and I want the franchise to be giving the half a thought fans have every reason to avoid giving to the future.

Because with the way this team is built and the brain trust running the team we could very easily lose Brady, and just keep competing as long as the replacement is at least above average. It wouldn't be the same NEP as Patriots team, but I trust Belichick to figure something out. And I really believe he fully intends to give himself the tools to do so.

Because as much as you guys don't like to think so, we may not have very long with Brady at all depending on how things go. At this stage in his career Brady is 1 major injury away from retirement, as are all 40+ quarterbacks in the NFL. It's one thing to say "5 more years" but that's only a guess at best. I think it would be a damn shame if part of Brady's legacy is a multiyear quarterback vacuum and vain attempts to string something together with plug-and-play rejects after he goes, rather than a hand trained and groomed heir assembled by Belichick and Brady to continue the run, wouldn't it?

This is a dynasty. Succession is a priority of dynastic systems. You never want to just give up on the idea of handing the reins to the next guy and continuing the dynasty forever. Not unless you're forced to.

Garoppolo is the best guy I've seen sitting behind Brady in Brady's 17 years with the team. I have no problem moving on from him if it's clear that there's another very good successor lined up in the next handful of years. I want that continuity, and I want the franchise to be giving the half a thought fans have every reason to avoid giving to the future.

You're a lot higher on JG than I am. The problem for me is it's not at all clear that JG is "a very good successor", much less a guy whose presence means Pats would do well to accelerate Brady's departure. Unlike the scenario in 2001.

Not yet.

I understand the argument perfectly. I just don't think an argument is a substitute for a plan.

I understand that you guys want to give Tom Brady as much time on the field as humanly possible. I respect that. Nobody wants this ride to end. All I want to see right now is signs that the ride will end in a planned way not a crash. I don't really care when it ends, just that when it does end, the team has some good options to try and carry on.

Because with the way this team is built and the brain trust running the team we could very easily lose Brady, and just keep competing as long as the replacement is at least above average. It wouldn't be the same NEP as Patriots team, but I trust Belichick to figure something out. And I really believe he fully intends to give himself the tools to do so.

Because as much as you guys don't like to think so, we may not have very long with Brady at all depending on how things go. At this stage in his career Brady is 1 major injury away from retirement, as are all 40+ quarterbacks in the NFL. It's one thing to say "5 more years" but that's only a guess at best. I think it would be a damn shame if part of Brady's legacy is a multiyear quarterback vacuum and vain attempts to string something together with plug-and-play rejects after he goes, rather than a hand trained and groomed heir assembled by Belichick and Brady to continue the run, wouldn't it?

This is a dynasty. Succession is a priority of dynastic systems. You never want to just give up on the idea of handing the reins to the next guy and continuing the dynasty forever. Not unless you're forced to.

No one wants a crash but I sure don't want to change the QB based on what ifs. Kapernick looked amazing in his first year and he might be one of the worst QBs now. JG looks good but defenses don't have a year on film to see his weaknesses.

We have a unique chance to capitalize on a unproven QB due to great performances in 6 quarters. We can draft our future QB next year if Brissett is not the answer. TB at 60% is better than most QBs in the league.

Name the player that isn't a major injury away from their career being over?

And as much as it pisses Quantum off this is the primary reason I continue to bring up Jimmy Garrapolo's inability to make it through two games when they needed him to fill in for four. The player who has shown they can take big hit after big hit and stay out on the field and playing at the highest level is Brady, not Garrapolo.

Do you think no one else realizes Brady doesn't have that much time left? Or that it takes more prep for a 40year old to get ready than a 25year old?

Ivan, among others, clearly doesn't realize that.

And as much as it pisses Quantum off this is the primary reason I continue to bring up Jimmy Garrapolo's inability to make it through two games when they needed him to fill in for four. The player who has shown they can take big hit after big hit and stay out on the field and playing at the highest level is Brady, not Garrapolo.
You bring up no such thing. You are a pathetic hypocrite since you trumpet your single data point as unquestionable metaphysical certitude while simultaneously claiming that there's no reason to believe that JG could be a good starter. You can't have have it both ways.

You bring up no such thing. You are a pathetic hypocrite since you trumpet your single data point as unquestionable metaphysical certitude while simultaneously claiming that there's no reason to believe that JG could be a good starter. You can't have have it both ways.

Lol

Boo hoo hoo

I believe Garrapolo can be a good starter and have said so repeatedly, I just don't believe it will be here. I also believe he needs to show that he can stay in the field to become a good starter. You can get as " metaphysical" as you want but those two beliefs in no way contradict each other.

Nice tantrum though.

Simpleton, pardon the hypocrisy, but that is a long post to not say anything new. I know you want Jimmy to stay, so do I, that isn't the source of our disagreement.

You never want to just give up on the idea of handing the reins to the next guy and continuing the dynasty forever. Not unless you're forced to.

Yes, and circumstance appears to be forcing NE to make a decision, which puts us right back to where we were earlier.

Let's make this a bit more blunt.... do you approve of paying JG $45+mm over the next three seasons to be a backup and then cutting/trading Brady in March 2021 regardless of how he is playing?

Last edited:
Oh Boy... that's gonna rustle some jimmies in this thread...lololol

Well. I had been thinking Brady would retire after 2-3 years, and I still am doubtful about 6-7 years, but I may have to re-think my 2-3 year estimate. Betting against Tom Brady is a good way to go broke. ;)

However, I do think he will retire a Patriot, I just can't see Kraft trading him. I think once he really does "suck", he will hang it up, I think he has too much pride to embarrass himself like Jordan in Washington. Plus, unlike many players, it obviously isn't all about the $$$ with him.

It looks like my "4 year plan," for Tom Brady was a little conservative. I'm betting on 5 now after hearing he wants to play 6 or 7 more years.

It really is time for Belichick to pull the trigger and trade JG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3