PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

time to play stork full time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some out of the box thinking here but what about:

Vollmer-Solder-Stork-Connolly-Fleming/Cannon

as a line?

Don't for a minute think that moving Solder to OG would actually happen but the guy is a really good run blocker and I'd hate to lose that aspect of a game. But I don't have much confidence in him as a blind side protector.

Yeah and Hightower and Chung too, they're awful. Sorry, that was last year/preseason.

Carry on with the inquisition, somebody must be punished!!

giphy.gif

You're absolutely correct. Devey has looked great at RG.

Was he on the team in preseason?
I'm not sure what reality Jordan Devey a 26-year-old UDFA who spent last season on the practice squad should be in the same company as 2 high draft picks who have shown the ability to be productive in the NFL, but I do not live in it.

I'm not sure what reality Jordan Devey a 26-year-old UDFA who spent last season on the practice squad should be in the same company as 2 high draft picks who have shown the ability to be productive in the NFL, but I do not live in it.

They all sucked.

Wow, did I say that? Please quote me, I must have been in an altered state.

Unless I misunderstood your post (or maybe you were making a joke that went above my head... or was just terrible), I took you to mean that the ire being directed at Devey and the O-Line in general is some sort of false inquisition by the board just because we have to have one area to ***** about and not because Devey has sucked a fat one so far. The GIF compares it to towns people marching toward Frankenstein's castle to burn his monster alive. So you tell me, where did I go wrong?

Unless I misunderstood your post (or maybe you were making a joke that went above my head... or was just terrible), I took you to mean that the ire being directed at Devey and the O-Line in general is some sort of false inquisition by the board just because we have to have one area to ***** about and not because Devey has sucked a fat one so far. The GIF compares it to towns people marching toward Frankenstein's castle to burn his monster alive. So you tell me, where did I go wrong?

I think he's suggesting a modicum of patience. If many on this board had had their way, we wouldn't be getting out of Hightower what we're seeing right now.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

I think a lot of posters make snap judgments in situations that do not warrant them. I agree with Dante Scarneccia http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Many many posters said Hightower was awful and hopeless last year and some posters said Chung was the worst defensive back in the universe and should be cut sight unseen.

I don't have any position on individual O-linemen, I don't work them out or know why they are trying certain certain combinations. i know they aren't going to break the bank when they have 2 tackles and a lot of other players to sign and that they drafted and acquired many young Olinemen. Offensive line cohesion takes time and patience. if you know which of the young players or available reasonable options the team should develop more power too you. I don't. I do know, it takes time and patience and practice.

I think he's suggesting a modicum of patience. If many on this board had had their way, we wouldn't be getting out of Hightower what we're seeing right now.

I wouldn't. If you remember my posts in the draft forum, I've wanted to play Hightower on the edge for some time. My thought was as part of a rotation at DE, but his assignments in the 3-4, when we show that look, are similar to what I had in mind for him. Patience is fine when it comes to internet message board posters, but our quarterback is 37 and is absorbing a high amount of hits as the offense gets watered and bogged down to protect him. The fix needs to come soon or he's going to continue to get shaken up, as we saw on Sunday.

I think a lot of posters make snap judgments in situations that do not warrant them. I agree with Dante Scarneccia http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Many many posters said Hightower was awful and hopeless last year and some posters said Chung was the worst defensive back in the universe and should be cut sight unseen.

I don't have any position on individual O-linemen, I don't work them out or know why they are trying certain certain combinations. i know they aren't going to break the bank when they have 2 tackles and a lot of other players to sign and that they drafted and acquired many young Olinemen. Offensive line cohesion takes time and patience. if you know which of the young players or available reasonable options the team should develop more power too you. I don't. I do know, it takes time and patience and practice.

Like I said in Dante's thread, if it was just an issue with cohesion, they wouldn't be experimenting with different guys in different spots. He's being kind.

I wouldn't. If you remember my posts in the draft forum, I've wanted to play Hightower on the edge for some time. My thought was as part of a rotation at DE, but his assignments in the 3-4, when we show that look, are similar to what I had in mind for him. Patience is fine when it comes to internet message board posters, but our quarterback is 37 and is absorbing a high amount of hits as the offense gets watered and bogged down to protect him. The fix needs to come soon or he's going to continue to get shaken up, as we saw on Sunday.

I wonder whether Brady is complaining as much as the internet message board posters.

Some out of the box thinking here but what about:

Vollmer-Solder-Stork-Connolly-Fleming/Cannon

as a line?

Don't for a minute think that moving Solder to OG would actually happen but the guy is a really good run blocker and I'd hate to lose that aspect of a game. But I don't have much confidence in him as a blind side protector.

This was mentioned in Reiss' mailbag yesterday:

Q. The offensive line is obviously struggling and the Pats have been mixing combinations so far this year. Do you think it's possible they move Nate Solder to left guard and Marcus Cannon to left tackle? Cannon seems to be more comfortable at tackle and Solder is a great run blocker, but gets burned off the edge constantly. Would the team ever consider this even though they just picked up his team option for 2015. -- Jonathan (Waltham, Massachusetts)

A. Jonathan, I don't think the option as part of the contract would have anything to do with their decision. I think anything is on the table because what we saw Sunday against the Raiders was not acceptable from the entire offensive line. You can include every single player in the mix because they all had Football 101-type breakdowns that, to be frank, made it look like they hardly practiced leading into the game. I think you have to give some credit to the Raiders, but I'd also say that I believe the players can do better than that. I'd be surprised if it's Solder moving to guard, but I don't think we can dismiss anything at this point.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...3/new-england-patriots-mailbag-no-joy-victory

I wonder whether Brady is complaining as much as the internet message board posters.
Brady is likely discussing the problems in much more detail than we are. Obviously, he is in a position to help do something about the problems.

I have patience for players, I am willing to give Easley, Dobson, Buchanan, etc. the time they need, because they have talent, Jordan Devey does not, he should not be on a NFL roster, forget in a starting lineup.

They all sucked.
What are you talking about, Hightower was a first round selection that had a very good rookie season, he struggled playing out of position last season in place of Mayo but he still produced for us. Chung never lived up to his second round selection but he has always been a serviceable NFL safety who at times in the right role has performed at a high level. Jordan Devey is a scrub, he has never shown anything not even the preseason, he is not comparable, and your attempt to do so is foolish and a tremendous reach.

I'm happy to be patient for the first drive against the Chiefs. :cool:

Well, he was caught on camera Sunday shaking his head at the OL after absorbing another hit so I have no doubt that he is. He also said the only person playing good football on the entire offensive side of the ball was Edelman.

This was mentioned in Reiss' mailbag yesterday:

Q. The offensive line is obviously struggling and the Pats have been mixing combinations so far this year. Do you think it's possible they move Nate Solder to left guard and Marcus Cannon to left tackle? Cannon seems to be more comfortable at tackle and Solder is a great run blocker, but gets burned off the edge constantly. Would the team ever consider this even though they just picked up his team option for 2015. -- Jonathan (Waltham, Massachusetts)

A. Jonathan, I don't think the option as part of the contract would have anything to do with their decision. I think anything is on the table because what we saw Sunday against the Raiders was not acceptable from the entire offensive line. You can include every single player in the mix because they all had Football 101-type breakdowns that, to be frank, made it look like they hardly practiced leading into the game. I think you have to give some credit to the Raiders, but I'd also say that I believe the players can do better than that. I'd be surprised if it's Solder moving to guard, but I don't think we can dismiss anything at this point.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...3/new-england-patriots-mailbag-no-joy-victory

I'm not inclined to think that "anything is on the table" right now, at least not for a few more games.

New OL coach, new terminology, new techniques, new (everchanging) combination on the line, missing a team leader (Mankins).

That's a lot for the OL to overcome in such a short time.

And for those who think that DeGuglielmo sucks, please remember he comes from the Giants system via FL, the same Giants offense system (under Coughlin) that produced Charlie Weiss (offensive assistant at the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back