PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to make a BIG trade

English Patriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'd like to say that following what Hernandez has gone and just done, that it will be OK and Tom will just 'make the next Hernandez' by being Brady. However i think it's a bit more serious. No matter whether or not Hernandez is a murderer, he is a GREAT football player.

Usually in football when you lose a GREAT player (and most of the times it's because they leave in FA and not in these circumstances) you go make a splash to replace the loss.

So now, if you ask me i believe the Welker loss will not be that bad, we didn't get weaker by replacing him with Amendola, rather we made an AFC contender much STRONGER.

However Hernandez is a big deal. Now i have no doubt Gronk will be fully fit soon and hopefully by week 1/2. The issue is the tandem made Gronk much better but now that's blown up we need some EXPERIENCED offensive explosion.

The only option i see is go make a trade for a big time playmaker to comfort the loss of Hernandez. I'm talking a Larry Fitzgerald type of name and player and not just some has been bumped around the league to fill the void left by this shocking development.

We may have to go back to a more conventional offense which is more receiver orientated than the TE dual threat because i for one don't want Jake Ballard lined up on the other side of Gronk and unless you can miraculously get Jimmy Graham then there is no TE in the NFL to replace Aaron that compliments Gronk that well.

Who are we trading from us? I doubt we can afford the cost, in players and cash. Better to go after Defensive players, like Seymour and/or Polamalu (IF cut), Free Agents (affordable). A lesser deal is possible, someone like John Carlson.

I'd rather go defense, the offense, by game 13, should be very good.

As was pointed out in another thread, if you take Gronk's stats from games without Hernandez and pro-rate them over 16 games, he'd have 75 catches, 1200 yards, and 18 touchdowns. Gronk will be just fine without AHern.

I'm not opposed to making a big trade to add talent to the receiving group though.

pats were 5-1 without Ahern last year...take that for what it's worth

Who are we trading from us? I doubt we can afford the cost, in players and cash. Better to go after Defensive players, like Seymour and/or Polamalu (IF cut), Free Agents. A lesser deal is possible, someone like John Carlson.

I'd rather go defense, the offense, by game 13, should be very good.

I would gladly give up draft picks and one of our better players to bag a beast like Larry.

I agree though if not then use that Hernandez salary space to create a SB caliber D.

Big player trades rarely happen in the NFL and where the Pats are currently with the cap they'd have to trade for someone that had no more than a $5-6 million hit this year (they have about $8.5 million free) dollars and probably willing to give up a 1st or 2nd and maybe both.

Maybe throw a 3rd or 4th round pick at Tennessee for Nate Washington?
He has hits of $5.1 mill this year and $4.8 next year

But right now it's next man up.

As was pointed out in another thread, if you take Gronk's stats from games without Hernandez and pro-rate them over 16 games, he'd have 75 catches, 1200 yards, and 18 touchdowns. Gronk will be just fine without AHern.

I'm not opposed to making a big trade to add talent to the receiving group though.

Not doubting that Gronk will be fine, he is the BEST TE in this league without question. However the significance of Hernandez fully healthy cannot be understated.

As you also stated a big time receiver to help the progression of Dobson and co would be fantastic.

Listen guys we all like to be relaxed when it comes to our offense because of Tom terrific, however that is part of the problem.

The reliance on Brady to be the best ever on a WEEKLY basis is too much, and now you take away a big time player like Hern?

Brady should be allowed to play OK and for that to still be enough to win a football game because others made the plays that game. He shouldn't have to be flawless week in and week out because it can't happen.

Big player trades rarely happen in the NFL and where the Pats are currently with the cap they'd have to trade for someone that had no more than a $5-6 million hit this year (they have about $8.5 million free) dollars and probably willing to give up a 1st or 2nd and maybe both.

Maybe throw a 3rd or 4th round pick at Tennessee for Nate Washington?
He has hits of $5.1 mill this year and $4.8 next year

But right now it's next man up.

Honestly dude, the sound of next man up to replace Hernandez is frightening to me and not comforting in the least.

Someone like Edelman being the 'up' makes sense to you?

The Patriots still have the most depth out of any team in the NFL, why would we need to sacrifice that depth? The Patriots will be good without Aaron Hernandez, will they be as good? no, but he couldn't be relied on to stay healthy for an entire year anyway, thank god Belichick has realized this and had started the process of gaining more depth at the position.

Relax, this is bad, but it isn't season ending bad, it probably won't even be the difference in the majority of games this season.

Honestly dude, the sound of next man up to replace Hernandez is frightening to me and not comforting in the least.

Someone like Edelman being the 'up' makes sense to you?

No but hoping for a fantasy trade that isn't going to happen doesn't make any sense either.

Except the Patriots 'quality depth' at WR (the position Hernandez really played) now starts and ends with Amendola.

The Patriots still have the most depth out of any team in the NFL, why would we need to sacrifice that depth? The Patriots will be good without Aaron Hernandez, will they be as good? no, but he couldn't be relied on to stay healthy for an entire year anyway, thank god Belichick has realized this and had started the process of gaining more depth at the position.

Relax, this is bad, but it isn't season ending bad, it probably won't even be the difference in the majority of games this season.

Oh I am most definitely not saying the season is over, that's foolish and incorrect. I'm saying the goal for the Pats every year is SB and nothing else matters.

A big time receiver would boost the confidence in this offense no end.

Hernandez caught a SB TD don't forget. The difference between winning a SB and not is a playmaker like him, so why not go after another?

Hernandez caught a SB TD don't forget. The
He also dropped a couple on the drive after the Giants final TD, what's your point?

Hernandez also got Alligator arms every time he took a big hit.

Why don't you oh I dunno, wait and see how good the new receivers are first before bemoaning the state of the offense? Or do you know more than the Patriots coaching staff?

He also dropped a couple on the drive after the Giants final TD, what's your point?

Hernandez also got Alligator arms every time he took a big hit.

Why don't you oh I dunno, wait and see how good the new receivers are first before bemoaning the state of the offense? Or do you know more than the Patriots coaching staff?

Who's bemoaning them? I LOVED the draft, i love the Amendola signing and i think he'll be better than Welker long term. I'm simply saying i doubt losing Hernandez and not replacing him is a good thing.

Your comment sounds to me like you're doubting the pats staff themselves for giving him a big contract extension. So what will it be?

Who's bemoaning them? I LOVED the draft, i love the Amendola signing and i think he'll be better than Welker long term. I'm simply saying i doubt losing Hernandez and not replacing him is a good thing.
Jake Ballard, there he's replaced by a bigger player who is on a whole different planet when it comes to blocking too.

Your comment sounds to me like you're doubting the pats staff themselves for giving him a big contract extension. So what will it be?

He was a good player but he doesn't have that big of an effect on the offense as people on here are trying to make out, losing him is not a season changer - it's not like he played every week anyway is it?

We will no longer have threads like this:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/682648-hernandez-drops.html
They guy dropped at least one key pass a game. Gronk is head and shoulders above Ahern. We will be OK. No need to make a stupid trade in reaction.

The guy went out of his way to work with Brady in the off season i am fairly confident we would have seen a big explosion in Herns game.

Why would getting a quality receiver after losing one of your top targets be a 'stupid reaction'?

Lets get a little perspective here. Not one padded practice has taken place yet.

We have no idea how the rookies/new players will perform.

lets give them a chance.
Pats cannot afford a big trade cap wise at this stage. Not now. And certainly not 2014.

Lets get a little perspective here. Not one padded practice has taken place yet.

We have no idea how the rookies/new players will perform.

lets give them a chance.
Pats cannot afford a big trade cap wise at this stage. Not now. And certainly not 2014.

We gave Tom Brady one REAL receiver in his whole career in Randy Moss and look what they did? Minutes from perfection.

Why not do it again?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back