PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Make a big move today

Yup, that's 1 thing. The one signing that's upgraded the team in any meaningful way, and it's Jacoby Brissett.
So far I like what they’re doing.

Cutting Parker is good, take the hit on failed investments and make room for upgrades. Resigning Onwenu is a big upgrade over not resigning him.

To me it looks like they need a bit more for the OT position, unless Lowe or Wheatley or McDermott steps up to make a big improvement in camp.

So draft priorities to me are: #1, QB. #2, OT. #3, WR. Use the #3 overall pick on best QB, unless they only like the top two and they’re both gone in which case draft MHJ and try for a QB later in the draft, or next year while we ride with Brisket this year. #2 and #3 can flip flop and take multiple candidates. I’m not as worried about RB, ST, and D. But if any stellar players fall to us jump on the opportunity of course.

So far I like what they’re doing.

Cutting Parker is good, take the hit on failed investments and make room for upgrades. Resigning Onwenu is a big upgrade over not resigning him.

To me it looks like they need a bit more for the OT position, unless Lowe or Wheatley or McDermott steps up to make a big improvement in camp.

So draft priorities to me are: #1, QB. #2, OT. #3, WR. Use the #3 overall pick on best QB, unless they only like the top two and they’re both gone in which case draft MHJ and try for a QB later in the draft, or next year while we ride with Brisket this year. #2 and #3 can flip flop and take multiple candidates. I’m not as worried about RB, ST, and D. But if any stellar players fall to us jump on the opportunity of course.
Agreed 100%... minor additions on defense depth at DL, CB, LB.

Guy I have my eye on is Jennings..
We need to resign him.

Gentle Reminder:

Free Agency begins on Wednesday, not Monday.

Gentle Reminder:

Free Agency begins on Wednesday, not Monday.
They should just make it the Monday after the Super Bowl.

I think the three of us together could offer some valuable, objectively dispassionate input. For instance, I would have suggested Wolf do exactly as he has so far. (Some surprises are in store but that's between Eliot and me for now.)

Greatly relieved that you have Wolf's ear. I'm happy to stay in the background. Please let him know my preferences at this point for resigning are Jennings, Austin, and Brown.

Greatly relieved that you have Wolf's ear. I'm happy to stay in the background. Please let him know my preferences at this point for resigning are Jennings, Austin, and Brown.

I'll try, but he already pissed me off by signing Brissett. Not sure we're on speaking terms today.

The fact that they've done nothing but retain their own guys from a 4-13 team doesn't really inspire confidence.

OK, I can see how you'd come to that conclusion. And it is fair to speak about your own emotional state (not inspired). That's entirely different than making the assertion that you can tell how much urgency they are operating with.

I'll try, but he already pissed me off by signing Brissett. Not sure we're on speaking terms today.
Why would that make you angry? The Pats will not be competing for a Super Bowl next season. And possibly not even the season after that. They're at the very beginning of a massive rebuild.

The QB of the future isn't Brissett. He won't be selected until April. Buckle in. It's going to be a long and bumpy ride.

Why would that make you angry? The Pats will not be competing for a Super Bowl next season. And possibly not even the season after that. They're at the very beginning of a massive rebuild.

The QB of the future isn't Brissett. He won't be selected until April. Buckle in. It's going to be a long and bumpy ride.

All discussed ad nauseam in the Brissett signing thread. There were better options available, IMO.

Remember when Mayo initially said we’d be spending a lot of money and then retracted it several weeks ago?

I blame the Krafts. Cheapo-depot. I’m sure they like the groceries we have right now.
The Krafts won't spend big. Robert might if it's an Asian from Florida!

The Krafts won't spend big. Robert might if it's an Asian from Florida!
I mean, that's why he got caught, right? Instead of just having one delivered to his room, he went to the $10 Handy J place at the strip mall.

So far so good. It's going to be an interesting year. No BB. No Brady. Back to being "Just Another Team" for the Patriots. I would like to see them play hard and be competitive especially at home. No matter who the team they are facing is. Can't rebuild in just 1-season unless they get lucky with the QB.

They should just make it the Monday after the Super Bowl.
My first reaction is YES! Start free agency the day after the Super Bowl!

But it makes more sense to give the teams and their own players a few weeks to negotiate a new contract first. I'd rather not have contract negotiations be a major priority while players are prepaaring for playoff games and the super bowl.

They're at the very beginning of a massive rebuild.
Actually it's Year 5 though I understand the psychological necessity to move the goal posts and rebrand 2024 as the Next New Beginning

Hug GIF by The BarkPost

Actually it's Year 5 though I understand the psychological necessity to move the goal posts and rebrand 2024 as the Next New Beginning

Hug GIF by The BarkPost
I'm not moving anything. It's a new regime therefore a new rebuild. The old rebuild ended when BB and most of the coaching staff were let go.

There are still big names out there. I doubt they will do it but Chase Young is only 24 and he showed signs of being great, but overall has been inconsistent. I would toffee a 2 year deal for good money( 15 million AAV) on a prove it deal. If that motivates him it could be a steal, they could get an All Pro DL looking to prove himself and get a huge payday at 26 years old, and the worst case scenario is that the Patriots have to tag him for a year if he does play great. If not it’s a calculated risk you can take because of his ceiling, and how much cap room they have.

My first reaction is YES! Start free agency the day after the Super Bowl!

But it makes more sense to give the teams and their own players a few weeks to negotiate a new contract first. I'd rather not have contract negotiations be a major priority while players are prepaaring for playoff games and the super bowl.

Yep. I don’t think you can put those teams at that kind of disadvantage. IMO the current free agency timeline is fine, but they should move the Draft up by 2 weeks to a month.

I’m hoping today will be really active for the Patriots. There are a lot of quality players that should come at decent price tags that they could really fill their roster with.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back