Not open for further replies.
16 yard run
9 yard pass
3 yard run
3 yard run
14 yard pass
3 yard run
1 yard run
Incompletion that Edelman should have caught.

It's one big run play and a bunch of sub 4 yard runs. How was that a case of the Colts getting gashed on the ground?
The New England Patriots offense rushed for 168 net yards rushing on 34 rushing attempts. That's nearly five yards per carry. Indianapolis Colts rush defense GASHED!

NFL Game Center: Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots - 2010 Week 11

The play selection on the third to last offensive possession for the New England Patriots:

Rush
Rush
Pass
Rush
Rush
Pass
Rush
Rush
Pass

The New England Patriots offense rushed for 168 net yards rushing on 34 rushing attempts. That's nearly five yards per carry. Indianapolis Colts rush defense GASHED!

NFL Game Center: Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots - 2010 Week 11

The play selection on the third to last offensive possession for the New England Patriots:

Rush
Rush
Pass
Rush
Rush
Pass
Rush
Rush
Pass

You're ignoring my question. You pointed out a drive and I broke it down:

5 yard run/end quarter
16 yard run
9 yard pass
3 yard run
3 yard run
14 yard pass
3 yard run
1 yard run

How was that a case of the Colts getting gashed on the ground?

Last edited:
You're ignoring my question. You pointed out a drive and I broke it down:

5 yard run/end quarter
16 yard run
9 yard pass
3 yard run
3 yard run
14 yard pass
3 yard run
1 yard run

How was that a case of the Colts getting gashed on the ground?
31 rushing yards on 6 six carries. That's over five yards a carry. Funny how the New England Patriots gained more yards on the ground in the third to last offensive possession than through the air.

31 rushing yards on 6 six carries. That's over five yards a carry. Funny how the New England Patriots gained more yards on the ground in the third to last offensive possession than through the air.

16 yards in one run, meaning only 15 yards on the other 5, which is just a 3 ypc average. Sorry, but that's not "gashed".

Also, using the "more yards" argument is misleading, given the 2-1 ratio in the play calling. Do we go to yards per play, since you went there to cover the fatal weakness in your "gashed" assertion? Ok, passing was over 7 yards a pass.

Last edited:
16 yards in one run, meaning only 15 yards on the other 5. Sorry, but that's not "gashed".

Also, using the "more yards" argument is irrelevant, given the 2-1 ratio in the play calling.
That's right, cherry pick the statistics to suite your argument. :eek:

Funny how two incomplete passes stopped the clock as was the case in the second to last offensive possession for the New England Patriots offense. The clock was the greater enemy for the New England Patriots than the score. Empty backfield on the first play on the second to last offensive possession for the New England Patriots offense makes no sense whatsoever.

That's right, cherry pick the statistics to suite your argument. :eek:

Funny how two incomplete passes stopped the clock as was the case in the second to last offensive possession for the New England Patriots offense. The clock was the greater enemy for the New England Patriots than the score. Empty backfield on the first play on the second to last offensive possession for the New England Patriots offense makes no sense whatsoever.

I pointed out EVERY SINGLE RUN in the 4th quarter, and I added the last 3rd quarter run, because it was part of the same drive that began the 4th quarter. how the hell is that supposed to be cherry picking?

Look, I'm sorry that your argument doesn't hold water. It would be great if we could just blame the playcalling, so we could all just feel better about bashing an essentially unknown coordinator, instead of having to look to the players.

Unfortunately for any attempt at a Kumbaya moment, that's just not how it broke down.

Last edited:
I pointed out EVERY SINGLE RUN in the 4th quarter, and I added the last 3rd quarter run, because it was part of the same drive that began the 4th quarter. how the hell is that supposed to be cherry picking?

Look, I'm sorry that your argument doesn't hold water. It would be great if we could just blame the playcalling, so we could all just feel better about bashing an essentially unknown coordinator, instead of having to look to the players.

Unfortunately for any attempt at a Kumbaya moment, that's just not how it broke down.
The bottom line is running the football chews up valuable time in the fourth quarter while incomplete passes allows more time for the Indianapolis Colts more time to get back in the game. So the Colts rush defense is so good that the Patriots rush offense can't gain ten yards on three rushing attempts. That's your argument.

One more thing, are you confusing the series we're talking about?

They ran the ball ALL THE WAY downfield the series before. They were highly effective.

In fact, there was no better situation for play-action than that.

For heaven's sake, you have a big lead, the defense thinks you are going to try to run out the clock, you just crammed the ball down their throats on the previous series. I can think of no better context for play-action, can you? If you can't do it there, you should never run it. The fact that you do it so well makes it doubly obvious.

It worked just fine until the Colts stuffed it in the red zone and we had to settle for a field goal. At that point, with the way that Brady had sawed through the Colts defense and the way the shotgun had worked, it makes sense to give Brady all of his options in the passing game, a lesser chance of getting sacked, and a clearer field to see. Essentially, you're saying that you have a problem with the coaching staff putting the game in Brady's hands when crunch time came around. Considering Brady's history, I can think of no better time to do that than the end of the game yesterday. Can you?

Talk about cherry picking. Someone just mad BJGE will eclipse Maroney's best season he ever had.

The bottom line is running the football chews up valuable time in the fourth quarter while incomplete passes allows more time for the Indianapolis Colts more time to get back in the game. So the Colts rush defense is so good that the Patriots rush offense can't gain ten yards on three rushing attempts. That's your argument.

No, the bottom line is that you claimed wanted the patriots to run the ball more because the Colts' were getting "gashed" by the run:

Fourth quarter time to milk the clock: two wide receiver, two tight end set with BJGE in the backfield and Tom Brady under center. The Indianapolis Colts defense has been gashed against the run in the second half...

Unfortunately for your argument, the reality doesn't fit your claim.

Last edited:
No, the bottom line is that you claimed wanted the patriots to run the ball more because the Colts' were getting "gashed" by the run: Unfortunately for your argument, the reality doesn't fit your claim.
If a defense is allowing nearly five yards a carry (includes three Brady kneel downs against the rushing statistics) and over 150 total yards rushing, the rush defense is getting gashed.

If a defense is allowing nearly five yards a carry (includes three Brady kneel downs against the rushing statistics) and over 150 total yards rushing, the rush defense is getting gashed.

Nonsense, and I demonstrated exactly why. You argued about the second half, and you wanted them running more in the 4th quarter. I pointed out the runs. One run of 16 yards. Outside of that, it was a 3 yard average, and that's including the 5 yard run at the end of the 3rd quarter that was part of the first 4th quarter drive.

The Patriots running game was sure as hell not resulting in the Colts getting "gashed".

Nonsense, and I demonstrated exactly why. You argued about the second half, and you wanted them running more in the 4th quarter. I pointed out the runs. One run of 16 yards. Outside of that, it was a 3 yard average, and that's including the 5 yard run at the end of the 3rd quarter that was part of the first 4th quarter drive.

The Patriots running game was sure as hell not resulting in the Colts getting "gashed".
Belittle BY FAR the best New England Patriots offensive rushing output of the season!

Belittle BY FAR the best New England Patriots offensive rushing output of the season!

1.) I'm not belittling the offensive rushing output. I'm proving your argument to be a poor one. There's a difference.

2.) To date, the Buffalo game has been BY FAR the Patriots' best offensive rushing output of the season.

Last edited:
2.) To date, the Buffalo game has been BY FAR the Patriots' best offensive rushing output of the season.
There is a reason why the team in Western New York is better known as the Bungalo Bills this season. The Indianapolis Colts are AFC playoff contenders, the Bungalo Bills are in contention for the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Run on conference doormats versus run on last's years AFC conference champions. Beat the Indianapolis Colts, that is a quality win; beat the Bungalo Bills, that's expected. Run on a team fighting for the AFC playoffs, run on a team that lost its first eight games.

There is a reason why the team in Western New York is better known as the Bungalo Bills this season. The Indianapolis Colts are AFC playoff contenders, the Bungalo Bills are in contention for the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Run on conference doormats versus run on last's years AFC conference champions. Beat the Indianapolis Colts, that is a quality win; beat the Bungalo Bills, that's expected. Run on a team fighting for the AFC playoffs, run on a team that lost its first eight games.

The Colts are the second worst team in the NFL against the run, ahead of only the Redskins. Again, you've made a poor argument.

BTW, listen to Belichick's WEEI interview. He touched upon the subject of the Patriots running game, and the way that the Colts were more successful against it later in the game.

Bill Belichick, NE Patriots Head Coach on WEEI

The Colts are the second worst team in the NFL against the run, ahead of only the Redskins. Again, you've made a poor argument.
You are making the poor argument.

Fourth Quarter
1-10-NE 23 (7:51) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 83-W.Welker. End result: Hardly any time elapsed off the clock

Fourth Quarter
3-4-NE 29 (7:20) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 84-D.Branch. End result: Hardly any time elapsed off the clock

End result: No first down, hardly any time elapsed off the clock. Bottom line: Peyton Manning is given a chance to beat the Patriots at the end of regulation.

You are making the poor argument.

Fourth Quarter
1-10-NE 23 (7:51) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 83-W.Welker. End result: Hardly any time elapsed off the clock

Fourth Quarter
3-4-NE 29 (7:20) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 84-D.Branch. End result: Hardly any time elapsed off the clock

End result: No first down, hardly any time elapsed off the clock. Bottom line: Peyton Manning is given a chance to beat the Patriots at the end of regulation.

I assume this is just an attempt at humor on your part. Again, listen to Belichick doing his WEEI interview. You can skip to about the 6 minute mark. There's about a minute-and-a-half listen that's on point:

As I've noted elsewhere, if you want to gripe about the clock management, you can look to Brady snapping the ball with lots of time still left on the play clock.

Last edited:
I assume this is just an attempt at humor on your part. Again, listen to Belichick doing his WEEI interview. You can skip to about the 6 minute mark:

Second to last offensive possession for the New England Patriots offense: two pass attempts, two pass incompletions and hardly any time elapsed off the game clock; 1 rush attempt, 6 yards gained. What was the more productive route?

Time is the enemy, rushing the football takes time off the clock.

Last edited:
Not only why are the TEs being ignored, why are we in the shotgun on first down on the 2nd to last drive against the 3rd worst run D in the league? We stopped the clock either 2 or three times and went three & out. GRRRR. That was dumb. Then they finally go to the run on the last drive, but instead of sending BJGE up the middle, where he does his best, they send him wide. HELLO, we are trying to win here!!!

Ditto. We were screaming in our seats when they came out 5 wide, instead of BJGE.

-- FRITZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore