PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Patriots prevent OFFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the stats. Reiss has been laying them out there week after week. The Patriots' play-action this year has been highly effective.
Yup! I could not understand why the Patriots could not go two tight ends, two wide receiver set with BJGE in the backfield and Tom Brady under center during the last two offensive possessions.

I don't understand why the team takes snaps with so much time on the play clock when it's defending big leads. We went hurry up against the Steelers. The FG drive at the beginning of the 4th quarter yesterday was run with double digit time on the play clock repeatedly. Perhaps it's a trade off -- the hurry up or semi-hurry up allows the offense to play better.

But once it was a 17 point lead, there was no excuse. They ran one play with about 15 seconds on the clock. Just beffudling.

I also don't understand why our prevent defense is so unable to make the other team's offense use up clock. But I guess that's another thread.

I was thinking the same thing. They would huddle for about five seconds and rush to the line. Made no sense to me, but I suppose they had their reasons (like, as you suggest, not giving the Colts D a lot of time before the snap).

Yup! I could not understand why the Patriots could not go two tight ends, two wide receiver set with BJGE in the backfield and Tom Brady under center during the last two offensive possessions.

Brady was only in shotgun once on the last possession and that was on the 3rd and 7 play. I didnt think that series was as bad as the first one. Atleast they took some time off the clock by running the ball.

Look at the stats. Reiss has been laying them out there week after week. The Patriots' play-action this year has been highly effective.

Again. This is the Colts. Freeney and Mathis rush on almost every play. If you're saying play action would have stopped Freeney from rushing, you're wrong.

Again. This is the Colts. Freeney and Mathis rush on almost every play. If you're saying play action would have stopped Freeney from rushing, you're wrong.

But how many times did the Pats actually use play action, not that many and when it was used it was highly effective. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a little more of it instead of Brady in shotgun.

As usual, zero content in a Deus Irae post. You've got nothing.

You're using a bunch of drunken buddies as your "evidence", and you're bagging on my post?

Here you go, chief, more content than you've posted in the past 6 months or so....

1.) Brady is the team's best player, so giving him the ball is a good thing. Shotgun gives him a clearer field and more time to make his read.

2.) You, like so many other perfect playcallers, confuse making a call you don't approve of with making a bad call. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

3.) On the previous Patriots drive, which ended in a field goal, the Patriots went into the shotgun 3 times. One resulted in a 9 yard completion, one resulted in a 3 yard run, and one resulted in an incompletion because Edelman couldn't hang on to the ball, but should have resulted in a touchdown. In other words, the shotgun was working just fine.

NFL Game Center: Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots - 2010 Week 11

4.) The only sack of the day came on a play where Brady was under center.

NFL Videos: Colts defense, sack, 8-yd loss

I realize that facts can be pesky things when they undercut your argument, but try them out anyway. If you want something to gripe about, gripe about Brady not taking the clock down more before snapping the ball.

Last edited:
But how many times did the Pats actually use play action, not that many and when it was used it was highly effective. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a little more of it instead of Brady in shotgun.

My comment was to this.

How are they going to pin their ears back on a play-action?

Freeney came in totally unmolested. On a play-action, he has to set the edge, respect the run.

Freeney comes shotgun, play action, sun, rain, sleet, and snow.

They put up 31 points, and won. if people want to quibble about one offensive play, that's fine, as long as their premise isn't totally wrong.

My guess is, they thought the could get a quick pass play for yardage by catching Indy with their pants down. One play didn't work.

Obviously, with a 76% percent completion percentage, 2 TDs and no interceptions, a lot of plays did.

I'll let the coaching staff call plays for at least one more week before I turn it over to posting experts.

You're using a bunch of drunken buddies as your "evidence", and you're bagging on my post?

Here you go, chief, more content than you've posted in the past 6 months or so....

1.) Brady is the team's best player, so giving him the ball is a good thing. Shotgun gives him a clearer field and more time to make his read.

2.) You, like so many other perfect playcallers, confuse making a call you don't approve of with making a bad call. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

3.) On the previous Patriots drive, which ended in a field goal, the Patriots went into the shotgun 3 times. One resulted in a 9 yard completion, one resulted in a 3 yard run, and one resulted in an incompletion because Edelman couldn't hang on to the ball, but should have resulted in a touchdown. In other words, the shotgun was working just fine.

I realize that facts can be pesky things when they undercut your argument, but try them out anyway. If you want something to gripe about, gripe about Brady not taking the clock down more before snapping the ball.

Let me get this straight. Are you trying to say the Patriots might know what they're doing?:confused:

I don't really get all this hate for Edelman. He was very good down the stretch last year, but has suffered through and played with (ostensibly) injuries this season. He couldn't get his hands on a ball that, while catchable, was not an ideal throw.

But the haters are totally right. Perhaps his six figure salary is better served elsewhere. They can throw that bum Meriweather out while they're at it.

Let me get this straight. Are you trying to say the Patriots might know what they're doing?:confused:

They make mistakes, just as everyone does (and I'm willing to point them out, as you know ;)), but the coaching has been excellent for most of this year.

My comment was to this.

Freeney comes shotgun, play action, sun, rain, sleet, and snow.

They put up 31 points, and won. if people want to quibble about one offensive play, that's fine, as long as their premise isn't totally wrong.

My guess is, they thought the could get a quick pass play for yardage by catching Indy with their pants down. One play didn't work.

Obviously, with a 76% percent completion percentage, 2 TDs and no interceptions, a lot of plays did.

I'll let the coaching staff call plays for at least one more week before I turn it over to posting experts.

No I agree it was a very well called game and executed game. I dont really have many complaints. Just when you look at the game after the fact you can find ways that they could have been a little bit better, called something different on a particular play, gone with different formations more often etc.

They make mistakes, just as everyone does (and I'm willing to point them out, as you know ;)), but the coaching has been excellent for most of this year.

I think their mix of plays has been excellent the last two weeks, beyond reproach.

You have to pinch yourself and realize we're doing it with one veteran receiver and a whole lot of green players on both sides of the ball. BB gets coach of the millennium so far IMO.

No I agree it was a very well called game and executed game. I dont really have many complaints. Just when you look at the game after the fact you can find ways that they could have been a little bit better, called something different on a particular play, gone with different formations more often etc.

As Deus pointed out, I assume he's correct, the sack came while Brady was under center.

If you're taking a reasonable Monday morning QB approach that's cool. It's the angst ridden clueless making me laugh.

Didn't say that.

What I did say is that rushing against an empty backfield is very different than rushing when there's a back back there, especially after a series in which the Patriots just gashed you.

As Deus pointed out, I assume he's correct, the sack came while Brady was under center.

If you're taking a reasonable Monday morning QB approach that's cool. It's the angst ridden clueless making me laugh.

Yeah, thats exactly what I am doing. As a whole I really have no complains with the play calling, the past 2 weeks have been the best 2 weeks of the season IMO.

You need to learn the nuances of football.

EMPTY BACKFIELD is different than SHOTGUN.

Jeez, you can't even figure out the basics.

Yes, I do have drunken buddies--who have played football too.

I'm sorry you have neither the basics down about football nor drunken buddies with football knowledge.

I think their mix of plays has been excellent the last two weeks, beyond reproach.

You have to pinch yourself and realize we're doing it with one veteran receiver and a whole lot of green players on both sides of the ball. BB gets coach of the millennium so far IMO.

Indeed. 39 and 31 points scored in the past two weeks, resulting in wins against the Steelers and Colts, and people are *****ing about the team using the shotgun formation for a play or two in the fourth quarter yesterday.

Yeah, thats exactly what I am doing. As a whole I really have no complains with the play calling, the past 2 weeks have been the best 2 weeks of the season IMO.

I am incredibly happy. Best I've felt since the SB years.

Indeed. 39 and 31 points scored in the past two weeks, resulting in wins against the Steelers and Colts, and people are *****ing about the team using the shotgun formation for a play or two in the fourth quarter yesterday.

Tough to please the fan base on here. They look at 2 or 3 plays instead of the 58 total offensive plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back