PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Patriots prevent OFFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to learn the nuances of football.

EMPTY BACKFIELD is different than SHOTGUN.

Jeez, you can't even figure out the basics.

Yes, I do have drunken buddies--who have played football too.

I'm sorry you have neither the basics down about football nor drunken buddies with football knowledge.

Hmmmm......

I was with a roomful of Patriots fans. Before that key first down happened, everyone said the same thing. I know, shotgun, spread... stupid.

It doesn't take a brainiac to figure out why that playcall is wrong.

Why forget play-action there if you want to pass?

1-10-IND 40 (14:23) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 83-W.Welker to IND 31 for 9 yards (25-J.Powers).

(11:53) (Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead left tackle to IND 8 for 3 yards (41-A.Bethea, 51-P.Angerer).

(10:32) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Edelman.

NFL Game Center: Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots - 2010 Week 11

It's as if you're going out of your way to clown yourself.

Last edited:
Hmmmm......

It's as if you're going out of your way to clown yourself.

You still don't know the basics.

SPREAD. Can you read? What a dunce.

Let me ask you again (since you seem so incapable of understanding).

You have a big lead, the defense thinks you are going to try to run out the clock, you just crammed the ball down their throats on the previous series. I can think of no better context for play-action, can you? If you can't do it there, you should never run a play-action. The fact that you do it so well makes it doubly obvious.

For the third time:

I can think of no better context for play-action, can you?

Tough to please the fan base on here. They look at 2 or 3 plays instead of the 58 total offensive plays.

We're talking about that one play, no? Am I criticizing O'Brien for the game yesterday? No. We're just talking about the sheer stupidity of that play-call.

Well, change your password, your little brother's using your account.:p

Didn't say that.

What I did say is that rushing against an empty backfield is very different than rushing when there's a back back there, especially after a series in which the Patriots just gashed you.

POSTED A SECOND TIME FOR YOUR PLEASURE.

You're honestly telling me there is absolutely no difference? Please.

Last edited:
We're talking about that one play, no? Am I criticizing O'Brien for the game yesterday? No. We're just talking about the sheer stupidity of that play-call.

1 out of 58 is pretty irrelevant considering they won the game.

1 out of 58 is pretty irrelevant considering they won the game.

Again, we're just talking about 1 play. I had no problem with any of the others.

Is it irrelevant?

Heck no.

It was a crucial series that started off very very badly.

How is that irrelevant?

You still don't know the basics.

SPREAD. Can you read? What a dunce.

Let me ask you again (since you seem so incapable of understanding).

You have a big lead, the defense thinks you are going to try to run out the clock, you just crammed the ball down their throats on the previous series. I can think of no better context for play-action, can you? If you can't do it there, you should never run a play-action. The fact that you do it so well makes it doubly obvious.

For the third time:

I can think of no better context for play-action, can you?

Obviously I can read. Given that I highlighted the word "shotgun" successfully, that should have been beyond question. Furthermore, regarding you continuing to clown yourself:

You need to learn the nuances of football.

EMPTY BACKFIELD is different than SHOTGUN.

Jeez, you can't even figure out the basics.

Yes, I do have drunken buddies--who have played football too.

I'm sorry you have neither the basics down about football nor drunken buddies with football knowledge.

...empty backfield and spread aren't the same, either. And, as I have already pointed out, working from the shotgun was successful the series before. Again, facts.... pesky facts.

Last edited:
Indeed. 39 and 31 points scored in the past two weeks, resulting in wins against the Steelers and Colts, and people are *****ing about the team using the shotgun formation for a play or two in the fourth quarter yesterday.

Yes, they scored 31 against the Colts. Upon closer inspection they scored only 10 in the 2nd half, went 1 for 5 on 3rd downs in that half, were unable to move the chains in the 4th qtr and gave the ball back to Manning with time on the clock and only a 3 pt lead. The Colts have a small defense. The 3 TALL Patriot TE's caught a whopping 2 passes for the entire game against the SMALL COLT DEFENSE.
Explain that when looking at how the 4th qtr was playing out???
We're all thrilled with this teams record but let's not be silly in saying there is nothing to analyze/criticize about this team
The Patriot O reverted back to last years form in the 4th qtr.
They turtled. THAT is troubling.

Last edited:
We're all thrilled with this teams record but let's not be silly in saying there is nothing to analyze/criticize about this team
What does Bill Belichick preach to death: situational football! I want Josh McDaniels back as the offensive coordinator!

Yes, they scored 31 against the Colts. Upon closer inspection they scored only 10 in the 2nd half, went 1 for 5 on 3rd downs in that half, were unable to move the chains in the 4th qtr and gave the ball back to Manning with time on the clock and only a 3 pt lead. The Colts have a small defense. The 3 TALL Patriot TE's caught a whopping 2 passes for the entire game against the SMALL COLT DEFENSE.
Explain that when looking at how the 4th qtr was playing out.

True story: The New England Patriots are the #1 scoring team in the NFL.

When fans stop being stupid enough to accept only perfection, they'll be better able to appreciate the games and analyze things appropriately. Pissing and moaning because the team went shotgun on first down in the 4th quarter just demonstrates a complete ignorance of the game.

Furthermore, wondering about the use of the TEs, and hoping the media will ask the Patriots about the thought process there, makes sense, just as it would make sense to ask that same question about every position. However, when the Patriots put up 31 points (could have easily been 35 if Edelman had hung onto that pass) while allowing only one sack and one other hit on Brady, complaining about the TE use is ridiculous.

A team with, arguably, the worst passing defense in franchise history, is 8-2. It's abundantly clear that the play calling, and coaching in general, has generally been superb, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
What does Bill Belichick preach to death: situational football! I want Josh McDaniels back as the offensive coordinator!

Right you are. Can you think of a better situation to utilize those big tall pass catching TE's against that smallish defense than in the 4th qtr when the O was stalling and desperately needed a 1st down?? What's so baffling is why the Patriots intentionally take bullets out of their own gun. Makes no sense.

True story: The New England Patriots are the #1 scoring team in the NFL.

When fans stop being stupid enough to accept only perfection, they'll be better able to appreciate the games and analyze things appropriately. Pissing and moaning because the team went shotgun on first down in the 4th quarter just demonstrates a complete ignorance of the game.

Furthermore, wondering about the use of the TEs, and hoping the media will ask the Patriots about the thought process there, makes sense, just as it would make sense to ask that same question about every position. However, when the Patriots put up 31 points (could have easily been 35 if Edelman had hung onto that pass) while allowing only one sack and one other hit on Brady, complaining about the TE use is ridiculous.

A team with, arguably, the worst passing defense in franchise history, is 8-2. It's abundantly clear that the play calling, and coaching in general, has generally been superb, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

True story: lots of fans do not understand the game and cannot analyze the game and break it down.
Deus you are king of pom poms and stats. :D

True story: lots of fans do not understand the game and cannot analyze the game and break it down.
Deus you are king of pom poms and stats. :D

I'm king of pom poms? :rofl:

It's clear you're quite superficial in your knowledge of the game. Was trying to be polite and give you credit for something Deus. ;)

1.) I'm not a homer, so you've got the wrong guy.

2.) My knowledge of the game is sufficient enough to avoid stupid ideas such as complaining about the lack of passes to the tight ends in a game where the team put up 31 points and kept Brady all but untouched. That makes me Belichickian in comparison to you. ;)

Right you are. Can you think of a better situation to utilize those big tall pass catching TE's against that smallish defense than in the 4th qtr when the O was stalling and desperately needed a 1st down?? What's so baffling is why the Patriots intentionally take bullets out of their own gun. Makes no sense.
Fourth quarter time to milk the clock: two wide receiver, two tight end set with BJGE in the backfield and Tom Brady under center. The Indianapolis Colts defense has been gashed against the run in the second half.

1-10-NE 23 (7:51) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 83-W.Welker. Comment: WTF!

2-10-NE 23 (7:49) (Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead left guard to NE 29 for 6 yards (27-J.Lacey). IND-27-J.Lacey was injured during the play.

3-4-NE 29 (7:20) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 84-D.Branch. Comment: Milk the clock and run the ball!

Time to separate the men from the boys: line up and run it down their throats!

3-7-NE 32 (2:38) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker (56-T.Hagler).

The last receiver I want on the field in a key third down situation is Julian Edelman especially after dropping a key pass in fourth quarter near the goal line.

Fourth quarter time to milk the clock: two wide receiver, two tight end set with BJGE in the backfield and Tom Brady under center. The Indianapolis Colts defense has been gashed against the run in the second half.

1-10-NE 23 (7:51) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 83-W.Welker. Comment: WTF!

2-10-NE 23 (7:49) (Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead left guard to NE 29 for 6 yards (27-J.Lacey). IND-27-J.Lacey was injured during the play.

3-4-NE 29 (7:20) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 84-D.Branch. Comment: Milk the clock and run the ball!

Time to separate the men from the boys: line up and run it down their throats!

3-7-NE 32 (2:38) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker (56-T.Hagler).

The last receiver I want on the field in a key third down situation is Julian Edelman especially after dropping a key pass in fourth quarter near the goal line.

They ran the ball on their last meaningful possession. They got a first down on the first carry, and then got 3 yards on the next 2 carries, setting up 3rd and 7 (14, 2 and 1 yard gains).

The drive that began at the end of the 3rd quarter and continued into the 4th featured 6 runs. Yardage:

The only other drive in the 4th quarter featured 1 run, a 6 yard gain by woodhead out of the shotgun.

I'm not sure how that's the Colts getting "gashed" by the run.

Just another learning skill for O'Brien to utilize. The "coordinators" are learning just like the players are.

I thought that Brady made a terrible mistake in the 4th Q. He sensed and all-out blitz, when he was in a naked backfield, and DID NOT call a timeout.

He was correct; he had to throw the ball into the ground facing the all out blitz. Leaving 2nd and 10. And eventually a 3 and out. That was when he needed to make a first down or two.

But why call naked backfield in such a situation, especially when you are running the ball successfully? That was on O'Brien, I assume.

I'm not sure how that's the Colts getting "gashed" by the run.
New England Patriots at 00:18
1-10-NE 39 :)18) 42-B.Green-Ellis left end pushed ob at NE 44 for 5 yards (93-D.Freeney).

END QUARTER 3

4th Quarter

2-5-NE 44 (15:00) 42-B.Green-Ellis left end to IND 40 for 16 yards (51-P.Angerer). IND-41-A.Bethea was injured during the play.
WATCH HIGHLIGHT
1-10-IND 40 (14:23) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 83-W.Welker to IND 31 for 9 yards (25-J.Powers).
2-1-IND 31 (13:46) 42-B.Green-Ellis left guard to IND 28 for 3 yards (99-A.Johnson, 90-D.Muir).
1-10-IND 28 (13:08) 42-B.Green-Ellis right guard to IND 25 for 3 yards (51-P.Angerer, 26-K.Hayden).
2-7-IND 25 (12:33) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 84-D.Branch to IND 11 for 14 yards (25-J.Powers).
1-10-IND 11 (11:53) (Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead left tackle to IND 8 for 3 yards (41-A.Bethea, 51-P.Angerer).
2-7-IND 8 (11:17) 42-B.Green-Ellis right guard to IND 7 for 1 yard (41-A.Bethea, 51-P.Angerer).
3-6-IND 7 (10:32) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Edelman.
4-6-IND 7 (10:27) 5-S.Graham 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-48-M.Katula, Holder-14-Z.Mesko.

The third to last New England Patriots offensive possession: 6 rushing plays, 3 pass plays, 1 big dropped pass

New England Patriots at 00:18
1-10-NE 39 :)18) 42-B.Green-Ellis left end pushed ob at NE 44 for 5 yards (93-D.Freeney).

END QUARTER 3

4th Quarter

2-5-NE 44 (15:00) 42-B.Green-Ellis left end to IND 40 for 16 yards (51-P.Angerer). IND-41-A.Bethea was injured during the play.
WATCH HIGHLIGHT
2-1-IND 31 (13:46) 42-B.Green-Ellis left guard to IND 28 for 3 yards (99-A.Johnson, 90-D.Muir).
1-10-IND 28 (13:08) 42-B.Green-Ellis right guard to IND 25 for 3 yards (51-P.Angerer, 26-K.Hayden).
2-7-IND 25 (12:33) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 84-D.Branch to IND 11 for 14 yards (25-J.Powers).
1-10-IND 11 (11:53) (Shotgun) 39-D.Woodhead left tackle to IND 8 for 3 yards (41-A.Bethea, 51-P.Angerer).
2-7-IND 8 (11:17) 42-B.Green-Ellis right guard to IND 7 for 1 yard (41-A.Bethea, 51-P.Angerer).
3-6-IND 7 (10:32) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 11-J.Edelman.
4-6-IND 7 (10:27) 5-S.Graham 25 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-48-M.Katula, Holder-14-Z.Mesko.

The third to last New England Patriots offensive possession: 6 rushing plays, 3 pass plays, 1 big dropped pass

5 yard run/end quarter
16 yard run
9 yard pass
3 yard run
3 yard run
14 yard pass
3 yard run
1 yard run
Incompletion that Edelman should have caught.

It's one big run play and a bunch of sub 4 yard runs in the 4th quarter portion of the drive, and one 5 yard run that ended the 3rd quarter. How was that a case of the Colts getting gashed on the ground?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back