PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Patriots prevent OFFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Not sure what you are saying. I imagine that runs are always called either up the middle or left or right. Otherwise, the o-line won't know where the runner is going. The thread asked what I thought of the Patriots prevent offense. I didn't like the play calling. I thought it was all wrong and it almost cost us the game. I am entitled to my opinion and that is all I am giving.

Runs that are called don't always happen as planned because holes open and close all the time, so that is why you get cutbacks and bounce outs.

The reason for the shotgun on first down on the last drive was because we ran it three times in the red zone the drive before and failed to convert that possession into a touchdown. The next drive, O'Brien was looking at a red-hot Brady who had been performing surgery on the Colts defense throughout the entire game and decided to put it in his hands. As it stands, it didn't work out too well.

By the way, I was the guy in the chat begging the team to keep running the ball throughout the entire game. With that in mind, it's not hard to see why O'Brien called what he did, when he did.

Again, you are just listing things that didnt happen and pretending they would have had a better result with no basis.

? Did you read the title of the thread?

The reason for the shotgun on first down on the last drive was because we ran it three times in the red zone the drive before and failed to convert that possession into a touchdown.

Yes, but empty backfield? That eliminates any guesswork, and Indy's free to pin its ears back and come at Brady. With someone in the backfield, the draw has to be respected, at the very least.

What? Not sure what you are saying. I imagine that runs are always called either up the middle or left or right. Otherwise, the o-line won't know where the runner is going. The thread asked what I thought of the Patriots prevent offense. I didn't like the play calling. I thought it was all wrong and it almost cost us the game. I am entitled to my opinion and that is all I am giving.

The Patriots are not a good running team up the middle over the guards and the center. They get the majority of their yards in the running games when they run off tackle. The Patriots running backs are also way to small to be running up the middle over the guard/center. Do you really think Woodhead would get anywhere doing that?

Again, you are just listing things that didnt happen and pretending they would have had a better result with no basis.

Just a thought Andy but when people start these lets look at my ****amamie whine threads instead of posting their kvetching in the post game thread, instead of engaging them why not just merge it or move it into the PS where it really belongs?

Just a thought Andy but when people start these lets look at my ****amamie whine threads instead of posting their kvetching in the post game thread, instead of engaging them why not just merge it or move it into the PS where it really belongs?

Probably because he's the one doing the kvetching!

Yes, but empty backfield? That eliminates any guesswork, and Indy's free to pin its ears back and come at Brady. With someone in the backfield, the draw has to be respected, at the very least.

Empty backfield puts all of Brady's best pass catchers out on the field at the same time. Essentially, O'Brien pushed all of the chips into Brady's corner and fully trusted him to bring home the win. It showed a good deal of trust in both Brady AND the offensive line. And, either way, Indy's defense was going to pin it's ears back anyway. Woodhead in the backfield or not.

Didn't they go shotgun, empty backfield on the first play of the second-to-last drive? That kind of kills some of the mystery for the D, I think.

Well said....

Apparently we're required to march down the field every time we touch the ball.:rolleyes:

Isn't that what all elite teams do? LOL

This game reminded me of the good old days in many respects. The Colts D played rope a dope defense throughout the first half. Then when Paymeaton got them right back in it the defense stiffened and they were getting a lot more pressure on Brady and the TE's were staying in to block because they had to because the new Colts defense is a little bigger up front and the new DC sends 5-6 a lot more than Dungy would let the former DC.

For this reason Bill has to get over his devotion to conservative prevent defense where Manning is concerned...because he's not some shmuck QB you can then stiffen against once that leads to a 50 or 60 yards in a couple of minutes and this young defense isn't mature enough to play that dangerous game just yet. We were lucky today that Cunningham got after him not to mention that Peyton was again willing to risk the certain tie for something bigger...just like he always used to.

Isn't that what all elite teams do? LOL

This game reminded me of the good old days in many respects. The Colts D played rope a dope defense throughout the first half. Then when Paymeaton got them right back in it the defense stiffened and they were getting a lot more pressure on Brady and the TE's were staying in to block because they had to because the new Colts defense is a little bigger up front and the new DC sends 5-6 a lot more than Dungy would let the former DC.

For this reason Bill has to get over his devotion to conservative prevent defense where Manning is concerned...because he's not some shmuck QB you can then stiffen against once that leads to a 50 or 60 yards in a couple of minutes and this young defense isn't mature enough to play that dangerous game just yet. We were lucky today that Cunningham got after him not to mention that Peyton was again willing to risk the certain tie for something bigger...just like he always used to.

Agreed. Once again, we almost cost ourselves the game against the Colts again. Hopefully, should we meet the Colts in the playoffs again, the prevent defense is tossed out the window with the rest of the trash... where it belongs.

Probably because he's the one doing the kvetching!
No, I am just asking why you have an opinion that you have not supported.

I dont know. If the teams met again in the playoffs and the Pats were up by 17 with 9 minutes left I would still say the Pats would go prevent. You just cannot blitz in that situation, it increases the probability for a big play in a short period of time. If the Pats tackled better then the prevent would have looked a lot better than it did

I'm not asking the team to blitz on every down. I'm asking them to continue to mix it up.

I'm not asking the team to blitz on every down. I'm asking them to continue to mix it up.

Its a tough call to make. I would still go with the prevent. I dont trust the Pats secondary just yet

In the 4th quarter our opponents were, in order:
1) The clock
2) The Colts

By using the run, we shortened the 4th quarter. We shortened it enough that the Colts were frenetically trying to score and had 25 seconds left when they failed.
If we threw the ball and had incompletions, the game is lengthened, what you do not want when you are ahead.
IT WORKED

Wow now this is some creative excuse making. The reality is the Patriots blew a big lead and their offense could not make a single 1st down on their last 2 possessions to keep the ball and put the game away. The reality is Manning was given the ball back with a chance to tie or win the game because Brady and Co couldn't make a simple 1st down coming down the stretch of the 4th qtr.
How many games did we lose last year because of that scenario?? More than one
The Colts have a small and quick defense. In the 4th qtr they were packing in that D. Why were we trying to throw to the smurfs instead of utilizing the big tall TE's??

Its a tough call to make. I would still go with the prevent. I dont trust the Pats secondary just yet

Going into the prevent is, arguably, putting just as much (if not more) pressure on the Pats secondary against a quarterback like Manning. At least Manning was relegated to going after the LB's on short dump-off passes in the first three quarters. When we went into the prevent, he was going after the LB's ON TOP of completing passes into the second level of the defense.

Last edited:
i think BOB has called 2 great games . just 1-2 play calls in this game down the stretch werent good but he is learning too . So hopefully they correct and improve it next time.

The last series could have been better, but outside of that I got no problems with the play calling today.

No, I am just asking why you have an opinion that you have not supported.

Andy, I don't want to argue with you. I have observed you are one not to let things go. The OP asked for what we thought of the prevent offense at the end of the game. I said it stunk (you keep saying everywhere that it worked, but I don't agree. We won the game despite the playcalling, not because of it). I then offered what I thought would have worked better. Of course I can't prove to you that it would have worked, because obviously, it didn't happen. I guess in your mind that means I haven't supported my argument. Whatever. If you think the Pats last two series were good, that's fine. You and I disagree.

Wow now this is some creative excuse making. The reality is the Patriots blew a big lead and their offense could not make a single 1st down on their last 2 possessions to keep the ball and put the game away. The reality is Manning was given the ball back with a chance to tie or win the game because Brady and Co couldn't make a simple 1st down coming down the stretch of the 4th qtr.
How many games did we lose last year because of that scenario?? More than one
The Colts have a small and quick defense. In the 4th qtr they were packing in that D. Why were we trying to throw to the smurfs instead of utilizing the big tall TE's??
There are no excuses to make when you win.
All of the facts I stated are accurate, using clock mattered.
To debate whether throwing to a TE or WR is ridiculous, unless you have reviewed the coaches film and noticed that they were open.
If you think the decision of who to throw to should be based upon height, have a nice time discussing football with someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes