PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thought experiment: If the Lions coughed up #1 for Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Detroits #1 pick in the draft?

Screw-ups like the Lions have been since Sanders left cannot be blamed on a coach. It's a disfunctional organization, much like the city it calls home.
Ex: see Oakland, Cincinnati, Cleveland....

You forgot to add in Sand Diego to that list. Though the organization has gotten light years better, the fans are still the screw ups they've always been

I'd throw in the Jets, but at least they have the good sense to try to be a Patriots clone. Unfortunately, Parcells left and they lost the blueprint. Had to love the way Pioli/BB lite (Tannenbaum/Mangini) crashed with T. throwing M. under the bus after the Favre fiasco.

Tannenbaum deserves as much credit for that fiasco as Mangini. I said when the Jets were going after Favre that it was a bad move and that Favre would joke when they needed him. Just like Favre did with the Packer the last 3 times they went to the play-offs.

1st off, the Patriots wouldn't make the trade for the #1 over-all pick. None of the players, ESPECIALLY Maualuga, are worth the financial investment that would be required.

The Patriots have the ability to add quality AND quantity. If they were to trade Cassel to the Lions, the two scenarios that would be best, IMHO, would be the following:

Option 1) The Pats receive the Dallas 1st round pick and Detroit's 3rd round pick this year

Option 2) The Patriots receive Detroit's 2nd round pick this year and Detroit's 2nd round pick next year with the potential for that 2nd rounder to become a 1st rounder depending on how Cassel performed.

That is the only way I'd consider trading Cassel to the Lions because the other way hurts the Patriots in the long run.

I completely agree with you. Those are the two scenarios. Also, Maualuga with the #1 overall would be a nightmare. Luckily, it would never, in a million years, EVER happen.

Martin Mayhew is the new GM there. I think that, if he were to draft a WR, the Detroit Fans would burn down the stadium..

Lets not damn him just because his initials are the same as the psycho they got rid of.
Um Dabruinz ol buddy...Millen's two most senior advisors were in the news:

"Mr. Ford firing Marinelli but making good on his threat and naming Tom Lewand president and Martin Mayhew general manager."

Millen can take the blame for the Lions miscues all he wants, for Detroit fans the news is horrible, Millen had people and Ford kept and promoted those people. WR with the #1 overall pick is not unreasonable given the organization's track record and the role those two played in building that track record.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't really know that many defensive players that are in the draft (I hear that Aaron Curry is supposed to be good) but I like what I've seen from Taylor Mays. So that's why I would pick him #1. :)
He looked interesting when I was watching Maualuga in the Rose Bowl, I need to rewatch the game and focus on him.

Um Dabruinz ol buddy...Millen's two most senior advisors were in the news:

"Mr. Ford firing Marinelli but making good on his threat and naming Tom Lewand president and Martin Mayhew general manager."

Millen can take the blame for the Lions miscues all he wants, for Detroit fans the news is horrible, Millen had people and Ford kept and promoted those people. WR with the #1 overall pick is not unreasonable given the organization's track record and the role those two played in building that track record.

It wouldn't be so bad if they drafted an OT with the Dallas pick and gave the Patriots #33 for Matt Cassel. :D

I highly doubt NE would even want the 1st overall pick. If they did aquire it the only realistic and logical choice would be OT Andre Smith from Alabama. It would be a reach to take any of the LB's, CB's, S's, or DL's. We don't need anymore QB's though i believe Sam Bradford could throw 25TD's for us as a rookie. I wouldn't even be surprised if NE would prefer three 2nd round picks and a 3rd rounder rather than a 1st and 3rd round pick for Cassel. They love the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I highly doubt NE would even want the 1st overall pick. If they did aquire it the only realistic and logical choice would be OT Andre Smith from Alabama. It would be a reach to take any of the LB's, CB's, S's, or DL's. We don't need anymore QB's though i believe Sam Bradford could throw 25TD's for us as a rookie. I wouldn't even be surprised if NE would prefer three 2nd round picks and a 3rd rounder rather than a 1st and 3rd round pick for Cassel. They love the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

What makes Andre Smith so special? Other than he's a junior and got himself suspended from his Bowl game, which his team went on to lose in an upset?

If you're looking for a top 10 pick for Cassel, the best option would be to trade him to Detroit for a 2009 2nd round pick, and a 2010 1st round pick. Detroit should be drafting top 10 next year, after going 0-16 this season. I believe Detroit would actually consider that.

It wouldn't be so bad if they drafted an OT with the Dallas pick and gave the Patriots #33 for Matt Cassel. :D
For Cassel's sake, I pray Detroit is not his destination.

For Cassel's sake, I pray Detroit is not his destination.

Agreed. I hope the kid goes to Minnesota. Seems to be the best fit out there.

True. The only question is . . . is Minnesota smart enough to realize this?

I agree, though Chicago could be a dark horse.

Contemplate: Aaron Rodgers is easily the best QB in that whole division.

Haven't been hearing much love for Laurinatis, LB, Ohio State? He was regarded as the #1 LB had he come out last year.

Haven't been hearing much love for Laurinatis, LB, Ohio State? He was regarded as the #1 LB had he come out last year.

Not on this board, he wasn't. Some people have come around on him. I'm not one of them. To be honest, I'd rather spend a fourth or fifth on McKillop than a first on Laurenaitis. He seems like a good enough player, but I don't see why he comes with a first round grade.

Or maybe it's just hard to imagine Belichick spending #1s on ILBs two consecutive years.

Detroit also has the #20 pick from Dallas in the Roy Williams trade which I would do in a heartbeat if I were the Pats FO....Good value but not overpaying and the Lions can use the #1 overall for a LT to protect Matt's blind side ala the Dolphins and Long........

THANK YOU!!! I've been waiting for SOMEONE to mention this as i believe this would be the BEST possible scenario for US! Trade MC to Detroit for 1st round pick #20(NEVER would we want #1, its not worth it) and maybe their 3rd rounder. I'd even take MC to Detroit for #20 in this draft straight up.

This would seem to work perfectly for both sides. Detroit gets a good/somewhat proven QB and still has the #1 pick to play with and build their team with. We get in return pick #20 and possible #1 in the 3rd round. We could then Trade up(Using our #24 pick in the 1st round) or down or for future picks.

Either Detroit or Minnesota's(#23 i believe) would be great. Minnesota is definitely more ready to win now. Should be exciting leading up to the draft!!

Not on this board, he wasn't. Some people have come around on him. I'm not one of them. To be honest, I'd rather spend a fourth or fifth on McKillop than a first on Laurenaitis. He seems like a good enough player, but I don't see why he comes with a first round grade.

Or maybe it's just hard to imagine Belichick spending #1s on ILBs two consecutive years.
Ochmed has been pleased with his "improvement" with taking on blockers, but I'm not sure that he's advocating spending a 1st on him...and I think you know my thoughts.

Of course, with two #1s this year, I'd strongly consider talking to Al Davis about Asomugha. We could sign him to a contract and hope Oakland doesn't match and owe them a first rounder this year and next, or even better, see if we could execute a trade for something less.

Asomugha, assuming he signs a long-term deal, > two late first rounders, in my opinion.

"What makes Andre Smith so special? Other than he's a junior and got himself suspended from his Bowl game, which his team went on to lose in an upset?"

Well he was the top high school senior of his class, and he is the #1 rated OT and player coming out of college this season...aside from that nothing really, don't know the guy personally, maybe he makes a great pasta dish?

Of course, with two #1s this year, I'd strongly consider talking to Al Davis about Asomugha. We could sign him to a contract and hope Oakland doesn't match and owe them a first rounder this year and next, or even better, see if we could execute a trade for something less.

Asomugha, assuming he signs a long-term deal, > two late first rounders, in my opinion.

Right now, I think if the Patriots offered Davis ten first-round draft picks for Asomugha, he still wouldn't do it. I guess the Pats will just have to settle for rescuing Shane Lechler. :D

Well he was the top high school senior of his class, and he is the #1 rated OT and player coming out of college this season...aside from that nothing really, don't know the guy personally, maybe he makes a great pasta dish?

Umm.. High school accomplishments mean nothing. As for him being the "#1 rated OT and player coming out of college this season," that's not been the case on any of the sites I've been to.

NFLDraftscout.com, the site that the NFL uses for most of its player information, has Smith rated as the #3 OT and his stock is falling. He's still in their top 10 overall. But you have to take into consideration that a player's stock is constantly rising or falling and that things such as Bowl Games, The College All-Star Games (East/West Shrine Game, Senior Bowl), the Combine and the Pro Days, as well as the underclassmen declaring, will all affect his standing.

What you didn't do is explain WHY you felt Smith was the best? OTher than what some list you looked at said. I was hoping for something a bit more comprehensive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes