PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This Young Defense Grew Up A Bit Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense has been growing every week. Leaders are emerging (Wilfork, Mayo, Chung), play-makers are emerging (Cunningham, Chung, McCourty) - this defense is getting better and better and better.

To all the ******ed idiots screaming and banging their keyboards in the first half because we weren't moving the ball, and especially to those taking yet more pot-shots at the defense.

You play for 60 minutes. Or in this case, 75.

Grow some balls.

Those idiots are probably half undercover trolls....and the others just don't understand football...just because a pass is completed on McCourty and he didn't turn around in time is cause for mass hysteria by these clowns.McCourty played another solid game today and looks like a major steal but some of these idiots just can't wait to scream their "junior G.M." opinions every time the other team makes a play.

The offense coudn't score 21 against the BALT defense. The defense did very, very well to keep us in the game. And the stops in OT were awesome!

Not that I'm not looking forward to the rest of the season, but imagine with some more experience and Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden next season :D

As the announcers mentioned several times, it was the defensive line that made the difference, and obviously the fine play by Mayo and Spikes.

Not one for normally bringing up what I said in the past but I said this D would keep improving and the bye week would be a huge turning point.

I said in another thread I thought turning point was when Cunningham drew personal foul on vet McClain. That's the kind of dumb play a rookie is supposed to make not bait a vet into.

Now let's see how they respond on road vs a great offense with their backs to the wall, as you know SD will be ready to go after laying sn egg in St Louis

Not that I'm not looking forward to the rest of the season, but imagine with some more experience and Ty Warren and Leigh Bodden next season :D

Imagine one of those young buck DE's from the draft plugged in alongside Vince and Ty. Nick Fairley, Cam Heyward, Jared Crick.....

Saying that, Deaderick had a really impressive game. He's got some wheels too for a big guy.

Last edited:
Yes, it's worth re-stating.

In a game tied 20-20,in the 4th quarter and overtime, the defense stopped the Ravens...

FOUR TIMES.

Last edited:
Although this may not be the most popular opinion, I'm going to say it. The game changed on the defensive side of the ball when that nasty Meriweather hit occurred over the middle. I'm not sure if one had anything to do with the other, because I didn't see too many receivers alligator arming the ball for the Ravens, but that's when the game turned around for us.

Pats D kept the Ravens from scoring in the 4th quarter and in overtime. I was really impressed. They are starting to get it done.....

The offense coudn't score 21 against the BALT defense. The defense did very, very well to keep us in the game. And the stops in OT were awesome!

Just one thing. 20 points is the most the Ravens have given up in regulation time in a game this season. The fact the Pats got 20 is not a huge negative although they played like crap from stretches.

As for the defense, we are starting to see these players getting better. They are starting to gain confidence and the good thing is that their schedule is looking easier and easier each week.

Last edited:
Loved the pursuit and the spirit. These guys didn't get down at all after such a lousy start. Everyone was everywhere. Spikes, Mayo, Cunningham, even Deaderick. Next week will be a nice test.

Re: This game a metaphor for the D this season

Watching this game and being on the board so much got me thinking this game is like a smaller version of this season for the D.

Starts of rough and scary then just gets better and better and at the end is nearly unstoppable

I hope I am rigt nad the D looks even better at the end of the year

what he said:rocker:

I don't know....I still think we should bring back Adalius..:bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks:

Although this may not be the most popular opinion, I'm going to say it. The game changed on the defensive side of the ball when that nasty Meriweather hit occurred over the middle. I'm not sure if one had anything to do with the other, because I didn't see too many receivers alligator arming the ball for the Ravens, but that's when the game turned around for us.
I feel the same way.

The D definitely stepped it up big this game. Honestly, they looked shaky up up through the TD drive by the Ravens in the 3rd qurater. After that, they made the key plays on key downs when needed. I thought after the first two punts in OT, the game was over, but the D stepped it up. Hopefully the progress continues next week!

This win belongs to the defense. The offense did sh&% for 3 qtrs and that kept the defense on the field. The D made some big plays to keep TD's off the scoreboard and held up well in OT.

Crable was effective on passing downs at the end of the half and in overtime! He was in there instead of Ninkovich.

Mike Wright got credit for the sack, but Crabel forced Flacco to step up into Wright's grasp. I thought he should have shared the sack. It is obvious that when healthy he has some talent. That explains Belichick's holding on to him so long, and then bringing him back. Even without the assumed draft of a big OLB, the OLB corps is turning out to have some talented developing athletes.

Merriweather's gonna see a pretty hefty fine for that helmet to helmet hit... other hits may have been borderline too

And while I don't want to see helmet to helmet, I think he picked up on the fact that part of Rodney Harrison path to success was the fear factor he created....

Receivers from all teams are going to be listening for his footsteps

Aside from that the CBs still looked young but there's potential here... might still be wise to go shopping in the offseason, regardless of the late game stops we saw today.

The D definitely stepped it up big this game. Honestly, they looked shaky up up through the TD drive by the Ravens in the 3rd qurater. After that, they made the key plays on key downs when needed. I thought after the first two punts in OT, the game was over, but the D stepped it up. Hopefully the progress continues next week!

I thought it ws over when Hernandez dropped those balls, if he catches the first one we may have won on the first OT drive. It was asking a lot of the D to keep holding them but they came through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News