PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is why we repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I find it bizarre how there's so much lip service paid to injuries and then confusion about poor play. "Next man up" doesn't cover injuries to both starting safeties, top LBs, defensive ends, running backs, wide receivers, and offensive linemen. My god.

They're coming back (and Oline play depends on a cohesive whole). Can they turn it around just like that?

Yep.
2 concerns.
1) People keep talking like all of the injuries will definitely be healed. I'm not sure that is realistic. I don't dismiss them not playing as believing they are 100% and just held out.
2) The ones that do return will be out of sync and not in game shape.

I think if we get EVERYONE back and get either a weak opponent or a number of breaks in the divisional round we can get through and then hopefully all of these players who have been sitting idle can be truly effective by the AFCCG.

I think you guys are going to be surprised at the team the Pats field in two weeks. It's not going to look like anything from the last month of the season. Edelman alone being back opens up so much more on the field. Having he and Amendola together will bring the quick passing game back to near where it was at the beginning of the season. I also think they'll get White more involved on third down in the postseason as well. Defensively, just getting bodies back somewhat rested where they have been able to lick their wounds will do wonders. McCourty will have had another few weeks to rest his ankle and Hightower will be fresher as well.

I think alot of people will be surprised one way or another. I just don't feel particularly good about so much of our postseason hope riding on a guy that hasn't played in two months. I still don't at all count out that he could come back and look better than expected, I just don't feel good having to rely on it.

1. Best QB in the league. Our offense with Edelman/DA/Gronk is the best in the league and his weapons should be back.
2. D-Line can rush the passer - It's going to be cold and tougher to run long routes. This our best line since the early SBs
3. Healthy Collins and Hightower together is deadly
4. Quietly our secondary has had a great season
5. We will be more prepared than any other team.

I know we've had injuries and the league hates us, but this team will prevail.

6 - we still have the best coaching staff
7 - we will play at very least one game 'at home'
8 - the team have been in this situation before - they can handle the pressure better
9 - Chandler Jones !!!
10 - fans will do their part at Gillette too

It can't be understated how important this bye week is.

This team hasn't had a break since Week 4! That's one hell of a long time. Injuries and fatigue eventually catch up to you.

I feel pretty confident the Pats will beat whomever they draw for their divisional game. The AFCCG is a whole other story. Let's see where the cards lie first.

The only way Denver advances is if both higher seeds win their first round games and they get Houston at home.

The only way Denver advances is if both higher seeds win their first round games and they get Houston at home.

I think Denver could beat Pittsburgh at home. If the game is anywhere close in the 4th that Pitt defense will collapse in the altitude, IMO.

I think alot of people will be surprised one way or another. I just don't feel particularly good about so much of our postseason hope riding on a guy that hasn't played in two months. I still don't at all count out that he could come back and look better than expected, I just don't feel good having to rely on it.

Of course he's not going to be fully himself. Unfortunately, he broke his foot. Anyone expecting Edelman to be back to himself needs to lower their expectations as much as posters like yourself need to raise them. What Edelman DOES give us is a receiver that can run every route in the route tree where the others (aside from maybe Amendola, who is hobbled himself) are limited. What that does to the defense determines:

1. How many extra rushers they can send.

2. The type of coverages they can play (man vs. zone concepts, the latter of which Brady eats alive).

3. Who gets double teamed and who doesn't.

4. Whether or not they can drop a safety down into the box and the frequency with which they can do so.

Essentially his presence helps Brady, the running game, and the other targets in our passing offense. Put White on the field more with him and you have a passing game that can literally threaten every level of the field and dictate to the defense that it's not a good idea to try to get cute with their blitz packages. It's not what we had at the beginning of the season with Edelman and Lewis in the line-up, but the Patriots can make due with that.

Another thing: people forget that Edelman was dropping passes at the beginning of 2015 at a clip higher than he had ever seen in his career because of the finger injury. I'd have to think/hope time off will have helped that injury heal up so he should be more sure handed in his return.

Of course he's not going to be fully himself. Unfortunately, he broke his foot. Anyone expecting Edelman to be back to himself needs to lower their expectations as much as posters like yourself need to raise them. What Edelman DOES give us is a receiver that can run every route in the route tree where the others (aside from maybe Amendola, who is hobbled himself) are limited. What that does to the defense determines:

2. The type of coverages they can play (man vs. zone concepts, the latter of which Brady eats alive).

4. Whether or not they can drop a safety down into the box and the frequency with which they can do so.

Essentially his presence helps Brady, the running game, and the other targets in our passing offense. Put White on the field more with him and you have a passing game that can literally threaten every level of the field and dictate to the defense that it's not a good idea to try to get cute with their blitz packages. It's not what we had at the beginning of the season with Edelman and Lewis in the line-up, but the Patriots can make due with that.

Another thing: people forget that Edelman was dropping passes at the beginning of 2015 at a clip higher than he had ever seen in his career because of the finger injury. I'd have to think/hope time off will have helped that injury heal up so he should be more sure handed in his return.

No I don't, I don't know what to expect. I have openly said this multiple times. I'm not really leaning one way or another when it comes to edelman. I unlike some others admit I have no idea how he will look in two weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if he came back and looked better than expected or worse than expected. I don't disagree with anything else you said. My expectations in this team and edelman right now, I think, are right where they should be.

Of course he's not going to be fully himself. Unfortunately, he broke his foot. Anyone expecting Edelman to be back to himself needs to lower their expectations as much as posters like yourself need to raise them.

Foot injuries are so hard to predict, it's definitely healthy to have some skepticism and lowered expectations. One thing I think that Edelman has going for him though is he's almost too "stupid" to care. There may be physical limitations (can't cut as sharply) or some rust after time off, but mentally I expect him to play just as tough and hard as he always has. I don't see Edelman as the type of player who has to convince himself that the injury is healed. If he's cleared, I'm sure in his head he's saying, "Finally!"

I think Denver could beat Pittsburgh at home. If the game is anywhere close in the 4th that Pitt defense will collapse in the altitude, IMO.

Fair enough I just think they are going with the good ship HGH MANNING and he would throw 5 picks against a high school team.

Fair enough I just think they are going with the good ship HGH MANNING and he would throw 5 picks against a high school team.

A one-and-done would be a fitting end to his career.

I actually think Edelman will last the playoffs and be big play for them, it's Amendola I'm really worried about. Here as tough as they get and I feel like he and Hightower returned early because they were desperate and are now playing on really bad wheels. My hope is that Martin has learned enough to play the Amendola role to some degree and that will allow them to run their offense to about 75-80% of what it really is.

This is a really tough team and I think that quality is being vastly overlooked and recent play has driven the discussion. You can't argue they have played will but you can make a strong argument that they will be closer to the first half team than the second when they get a third of their starters back. Winners tend to win in the tourney and the Patriots are loaded with winners, I like their chances but still don't see them as more than 25% going into the divisional round, of they get past it then that goes up, and so on and so on.

Not backpedalling at all.
Giving an assessment not regurgitating someone numbers that don't mean what you think they mean.
Many hear seem to agree with me.

Are you 12 years old?

You falsely claimed that the Chiefs offense is flawed when they are actually ranked directly after NE per football outsiders. Anyone that's actually been paying attention to other teams throughout the NFL knows that KC is 9th out of 32 in scoring.

If you choose to ignorant that is certainly your choice.

With any luck, we'll be playing in the AFC Championship game at Gillette again. This, of course, requires that the Pats win the Divisional Round and the Broncos go 'One and Done."

I think Peyton gets the start, folds under tremendous pressure again, and finishes his career with TEN "One and Dones". THAT is the only record he holds that will never be broken. That is his legacy.

1. Best QB in the league. Our offense with Edelman/DA/Gronk is the best in the league and his weapons should be back.
2. D-Line can rush the passer - It's going to be cold and tougher to run long routes. This our best line since the early SBs
3. Healthy Collins and Hightower together is deadly
4. Quietly our secondary has had a great season
5. We will be more prepared than any other team.

I know we've had injuries and the league hates us, but this team will prevail.
This is why we don't repeat:

1. Worst OL in the playoffs.

2. Worst WRs in the playoffs.

3. Worst RBs in the playoffs.

4. Worst Offensive Co-ordinator in the playoffs.

5. Worst interior pass rush in the playoffs.

6. Hightower is even slower than ever, as hard as that is to believe; Collins' tackling & coverage instincts
are shockingly poor; and Jonny Freeny is actually expected to take snaps with the regular defense.

7. Worst CB depth in the playoffs.

8. Worst Safety depth in the playoffs.

There are only 2 teams we are capable of defeating: Houston, and Cincy without Dalton.
Against KC, PitsDirt & the Donkeys, the Patsies are one-and-done.

Are you 12 years old?

You falsely claimed that the Chiefs offense is flawed when they are actually ranked directly after NE per football outsiders. Anyone that's actually been paying attention to other teams throughout the NFL knows that KC is 9th out of 32 in scoring.

If you choose to ignorant that is certainly your choice.
No, I correctly claimed that the Chiefs offense is flawed. You used someone's stats that you don't understand to say I was wrong. You should learn to think for yourself.

This is why we don't repeat:

1. Worst OL in the playoffs.

2. Worst WRs in the playoffs.

3. Worst RBs in the playoffs.

4. Worst Offensive Co-ordinator in the playoffs.

5. Worst interior pass rush in the playoffs.

6. Hightower is even slower than ever, as hard as that is to believe; Collins' tackling & coverage instincts
are shockingly poor; and Jonny Freeny is actually expected to take snaps with the regular defense.

7. Worst CB depth in the playoffs.

8. Worst Safety depth in the playoffs.

There are only 2 teams we are capable of defeating: Houston, and Cincy without Dalton.
Against KC, PitsDirt & the Donkeys, the Patsies are one-and-done.

I'm not optimistic about our chances but this is just really fuc.king stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back