PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This game will come down to the Chargers special teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chargers have an explosive offense this season, but not a consistent one. They are 18th on 3rd down %, while the Patriots are 3rd. The patriots hae also played the two best defenses in the NFL, while the Chargers haven't played a team that will finish above .500 this year (nor a really good defense). How many 3 and outs did the Chargers have against Oak and Stl? The patriots will win this game because SD can't convert on third downs. The Chargers are much worse on defense than the ever-improving Pats defense. Don't kid yourself into thinking the chargers would win a zero turnover game without any big special teams plays on either side.

you do realize that the pats are the worst in the league in stops on 3rd down ...right ? until that last 3 drives of the 4th quarter and overtime our 3rd down defense was nowhere to be found and this isnt flacco .So chargers may have struggled on 3rd down but they will be better against our D for sure...
Regarding STL, they are much better outfit than people think. People are going on last yr's record but this is a different team and they were playing at home in front of their crowd which was a big advantage especially in disrupting the chargers o-line. Chargers wont have any such issues at home IMO.

Hello, from a Chargers fan. It's been a while since the Chargers have played the Pats so I haven't gotten a chance to post here for a long time. Anyways, my prediction might seem obvious to chargers fans but Pats fans might not accept it as much. In my opinion, the only thing that will determine this game is how well the chargers special teams play.

If we have no special teams mistakes then the Chargers will win in my opinion; we have a red hot offense and our defense is better than the Pats defense so while it might turn into a shootout, the Chargers should win the game, especially since we're at home. If this game were in Boston I wouldn't give it to the chargers but the fact that we tend to play very well at home will give us the edge as long as our special teams doesn't commit anymore costly errors.

When you are playing from behind and have repeated offensive drives because of ST TDs, your offense's stats tend to be padded. I'd stick with the 2-4 record as a more decisive account of your team.

Chargers have an explosive offense this season, but not a consistent one. They are 18th on 3rd down %, while the Patriots are 3rd. The patriots hae also played the two best defenses in the NFL, while the Chargers haven't played a team that will finish above .500 this year (nor a really good defense). How many 3 and outs did the Chargers have against Oak and Stl? The patriots will win this game because SD can't convert on third downs. The Chargers are much worse on defense than the ever-improving Pats defense. Don't kid yourself into thinking the chargers would win a zero turnover game without any big special teams plays on either side.

Now this is pretty delusional. Even after our 5 stops in a row last week to win the game we're STILL 32nd in the league in allowing 3rd down conversions. I still expect Rivers to march down the field on us, tearing up our secondary. However, I think we dominate on STs and our offense gives us a buffer zone allowing our defense to play soft and prevent Rivers from throwing deep as he loves, maybe even causing an INT or two.

Now this is pretty delusional. Even after our 5 stops in a row last week to win the game we're STILL 32nd in the league in allowing 3rd down conversions. I still expect Rivers to march down the field on us, tearing up our secondary. However, I think we dominate on STs and our offense gives us a buffer zone allowing our defense to play soft and prevent Rivers from throwing deep as he loves, maybe even causing an INT or two.

I think the 5 stops in a row speak to a level of maturity and consistency that the 3rd down defense is beginning to achieve. The question will be whether the defense can bring that consistency and maturity into this game. I think they will.

Over the last 2 games, the Pats defense has matured significantly. I believe that the younger guys are showing a lot more confidence in their understanding of the defense and understanding that they need to execute the way they've been shown.

Rivers isn't going to have Floyd as his top receiver and Crayton is best out of the slot. That leaves Buster Davis or Legendu Nanee as the top WR. Nanee has the speed, but not the route running ability. And Davis isn't 100% healthy.

As for Gates, there is a huge question as to whether or not he'll play and just how effective he'll be if he does. Randy McMichael is a good pass-catching TE, but he's 2-3 rungs below Gates' level.

I think that the Pats can shut down this offense. I don't think they have the weapons to hurt the Pats as much as if they had Jackson, Floyd, and a healthy Gates and Mathews.

I am expecting at least a blocked kick or kick return for the pats if not both of them.

The Chargers need a lot more help then people think but always make a late year run adn i think they will finish 9-7 and lose the West in a tiebreaker to KC

Even after our 5 stops in a row last week to win the game we're STILL 32nd in the league in allowing 3rd down conversions. I still expect Rivers to march down the field on us, tearing up our secondary. However, I think we dominate on STs and our offense gives us a buffer zone allowing our defense to play soft and prevent Rivers from throwing deep as he loves, maybe even causing an INT or two.

Sobering fact except that I really like the second derivitave here as indicative of a maturation process that suddenly jelled.

Ya don't get me wrong, I think we're growing and getting better each and every game, but each week is a new test where we must attempt to learn consistancy if we truly want to be a dominant team. We are playing too many good teams down the stretch, and in to the playoffs, that continuing to allow offenses to walk all over us for most of a game will burn us bad enough that even a few critical stops at the end of the game won't be enough for us to come back.

My guess is that the Offense will have to put up 24+ points to beat the Boltz...

Let's sum this up:

Pats offense- clearly good enough to score against good defensive teams, especially during critical moments in the game

Chargers offense- clearly NOT good enough to score against BAD defensive teams, especially during critical moments in the game

Pats defense- clearly good enough to stop good offensive teams, especially during critical moments in the game

Chargers defense- clearly NOT good enough to stop BAD offensive teams, especially during critical moments in the game

Pats special teams- spectacular

Chargers special teams- joke

Pats coaching- best head coach in the NFL

Chargers coaching- best head coach in the NFL at almost getting fired

Verdict- you figure it out

:rocker:

you rock

I don't think it's delusional. The Patriots are 4-1 despite a 32nd ranked 3rd down Defense. The chargers are 2-4 in part because of a poor 3rd down offense, among other things

This charger's fans point was that 'hey we're #1 in yards on offense and defense and soon enough, probably this week vs NE, our scoring numbers will correctly reflect the yards gained/given up on defense." What i'm saying is that the chargers gain yards, but cant consistently convert on 3rd down. I think there will continue to be a huge inconsistence with the high number of yards they gain and the relatively few points they score. I think this will remain true because of their poor 3rd down offense. it's the way their offensive personnel is set-up that both allows them to have explosive plays that garner long yards, yet not convert consistently enough on 3rd down to score touchdowns as often as the Patriots. So, ignoring our 3rd down defense is not delusional on my part. Our team is playing well even if our 3rd down D sucks. if it continues to improve, like we all expect it to and like we are all seeing in recent play, then our team can be a super bowl contender. But that's not the point here.

When you are playing from behind and have repeated offensive drives because of ST TDs, your offense's stats tend to be padded. I'd stick with the 2-4 record as a more decisive account of your team.

Last edited:
My guess is that the Offense will have to put up 24+ points to beat the Boltz...

With the Bolts top 2 WR likely not playing on Sunday and with Gates playing injured, who is going to provide the offense for them? Crayton?

Well, technically I was right as this game did come down to the Chargers special teams. If they hadn't gotten that 5 yard penalty that kick would have probably been made as it was very close; hit the goal post and we'd have gone to overtime with the momentum on our side.

At least the chargers defense proved that they are as good as their ranking. Rest of the team is totally undisciplined. Norv needs to be fired at the end of the season.

Last edited:
that penalty was THE signature of the current Charger state of affairs. Looks like Coach Grimace is done there...who do they go after? Chuckie?..The Chin?

that penalty was THE signature of the current Charger state of affairs. Looks like Coach Grimace is done there...who do they go after? Chuckie?..The Chin?

I would love to have Bill Cowher or Bill Parcells as our coach. I think guys like that are the only ones who can discipline a team like the chargers, as we have the most immature team in the league; bunch of undisciplined punks with only a few well behaved guys who don't get tons of penalties like Antonio Gates, Rivers, Jammer, etc.

However, we probably won't get coaches like that because AJ Smith can't handle a strong coach who thinks for himself; he'll get another weakling that he can control easily. Norv Turner is a great offensive coordinator but a horrible head coach as he doesn't know how to manage an entire team. Another year down the drain.

Last edited:
Well, technically I was right as this game did come down to the Chargers special teams. If they hadn't gotten that 5 yard penalty that kick would have probably been made as it was very close; hit the goal post and we'd have gone to overtime with the momentum on our side.

At least the chargers defense proved that they are as good as their ranking. Rest of the team is totally undisciplined. Norv needs to be fired at the end of the season.

If the Chargers were healthy and had a top level coach, they'd be the favorites to win the Super Bowl. Great passing game, great defense...they just are a bunch of undisciplined knuckleheads. And you have to look at coaching when that's the case.

If the Chargers were healthy and had a top level coach, they'd be the favorites to win the Super Bowl. Great passing game, great defense...they just are a bunch of undisciplined knuckleheads. And you have to look at coaching when that's the case.

Yup. If it was one game you could say that the players just screwed up, but when it's happening on a regular basis like it's been happening to the Chargers then it comes down to coaching because the coaches should have addressed these issues already but they keep happening. It's so frustrating to have such a great team that keeps losing because of undisciplined play. Wish we had a good coach.

Yup. If it was one game you could say that the players just screwed up, but when it's happening on a regular basis like it's been happening to the Chargers then it comes down to coaching because the coaches should have addressed these issues already but they keep happening. It's so frustrating to have such a great team that keeps losing because of undisciplined play. Wish we had a good coach.

Honestly you guys really beat yourselves sunday... its never a good feeling. I can't see AJ Smith wanting another personnel guy in Bill Parcells around his team. That would be a mess. Cowher sounds more realistic. Some thoughts though.

1) Fast forward to week 17 - SD is 6-10. What are the chances the Spanos family lets go of AJ Smith AND Norv Turner? If Parcells is available, would they shake things up to move on? I'll bet Parcells would do it - plus SD already plays 3-4, which would make it an attractive destination for him.

2) How about Skippy? I think McDaniels is gonna be a great coach someday. His offensive record speaks for itself. In Denver he's brought in a lot of "character" guys to fit the whole winning thing, but also made some very questionable personnel decisions.He shipped out Marshall but replaced him pretty easily, and upgraded Cutler to Orton, despite both moves being awfully unpopular. But he also let Hillis go and drafted Tebow. Bottom line is, I think he's the kind of coach that rides his players hard and expects perfection. While he's set the team back with a few mistakes, he's improved it in other impressive ways. Reminds me of BB in Cleveland. The promise is there and the polish will come.

Last edited:
Honestly you guys really beat yourselves sunday... its never a good feeling. I can't see AJ Smith wanting another personnel guy in Bill Parcells around his team. That would be a mess. Cowher sounds more realistic. Some thoughts though.

Cowher is a disciple of Marty Schottenheimer whom A.J. hates so he wouldn't bring him here for that reason alone. Cowher was one of the guys who criticized him harshly for firing Schottenheimer, and that is probably still in A.J. Smith's mind. He's a bitter type of man who likes to hold grudges.

1) Fast forward to week 17 - SD is 6-10. What are the chances the Spanos family lets go of AJ Smith AND Norv Turner? If Parcells is available, would they shake things up to move on? I'll bet Parcells would do it - plus SD already plays 3-4, which would make it an attractive destination for him.

I doubt they will fire A.J. Smith since he was recently signed to a new contract so he's here till 2015, whereas Norv could be fired because his extension was only 2 years. Bill Parcells would definitely shake things up and improve our team like he did for Miami, and I like his hard nosed attitude. If he came in as the head coach and we got a great offensive coordinator, that would really give us a good chance to finally become a great team that can win on a consistent basis.

2) How about Skippy? I think McDaniels is gonna be a great coach someday. His offensive record speaks for itself. In Denver he's brought in a lot of "character" guys to fit the whole winning thing, but also made some very questionable personnel decisions.He shipped out Marshall but replaced him pretty easily, and upgraded Cutler to Orton, despite both moves being awfully unpopular. But he also let Hillis go and drafted Tebow. Bottom line is, I think he's the kind of coach that rides his players har d and expects perfection. Reminds me of BB in Cleveland. The promise is there and the polish will come.

He might become a great coach but the chargers window of opportunity is closing and I'd rather have a coach with a proven track record come in and help us win now before guys like Gates, Jammer, etc. get too old. We need to win within the next 5 years or else it's pretty much over. Wish we could clone Belichick and have him be our head coach; I would love to see what he could do with a team like the Chargers; we'd have at least 12 wins every season and probably win 3 super bowls within the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Cowher is a disciple of Marty Schottenheimer whom A.J. hates so he wouldn't bring him here for that reason alone. Cowher was one of the guys who criticized him harshly for firing Schottenheimer, and that is probably still in A.J. Smith's mind. He's a bitter type of man who likes to hold grudges.

I doubt they will fire A.J. Smith since he was recently signed to a new contract so he's here till 2015, whereas Norv could be fired because his extension was only 2 years. Bill Parcells would definitely shake things up and improve our team like he did for Miami, and I like his hard nosed attitude. If he came in as the head coach and we got a great offensive coordinator, that would really give us a good chance to finally become a great team that can win on a consistent basis.

He might become a great coach but the chargers window of opportunity is closing and I'd rather have a coach with a proven track record come in and help us win now before guys like Gates, Jammer, etc. get too old. We need to win within the next 5 years or else it's pretty much over. Wish we could clone Belichick and have him be our head coach; I would love to see what he could do with a team like the Chargers; we'd have at least 12 wins every season and probably win 3 super bowls within the next 5 years.
Interesting, thanks for that insight, and thanks for the pre-game perspective from the perspective of a Chargers fan. Wish we could have had a couple more (civil) opposing fans to talk about the game leading up to Sunday.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for that insight, and thanks for the pre-game perspective from the perspective of a Chargers fan. Wish we could have had a couple more (civil) opposing fans to talk about the game leading up to Sunday.

No problem bro. I like coming to this Pats forum; the IQ level here is higher than on most other football forums so I know that I can have a discussion that doesn't resort to childish name calling. I only come here whenever the Chargers face the Pats which isn't often because I feel like it's disrespectful to post on another teams forums for no reason whatsoever; it sort of becomes trolling after a while. So, hopefully the chargers end up somehow making the playoffs and facing the Pats so I can come back here a couple of months from now; I'm not holding my breath though. Anyways, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft