PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Play to Run for Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The play to run for Tim Tebow? As long as TFB is the starter it doesn't exist.

Keep underestimating him. He's about to once again prove his haters wrong.

I'm pretty sure there are very very very few plays where it's designed to go to Fells or any other receiver over Gronk. Sometimes it just happens Gronk is covered and he had to throw to the next guy in the progression.

The difference is you're guaranteeing that Tebow is either running or throwing the ball.

There is a difference between going through progressions and throwing to Fells, and deciding to go to Fells over Gronkowski.

There is a huge difference between going through your progressions and hitting the 4th option, and deciding to bench Brady in favor of Tim Freaking Tebow.

I have never, not once, advocated "benching Brady in favor of Tim Freaking Tebow". Holy crap get a grip.

I said, in short yardage situations, where Tebow almost always converts when he runs the ball, have Brady in the shotgun and have Tebow lined up next to him as a RB. Then, from there, you either: (1) Snap to Brady and let him throw, which is what the Pats very often do anyway, and Tebow stays in to block, (2) direct snap to Tebow, like the Pats occasionally do in such situations or on 2-point conversions, and Tebow is a quality short-yardage runner, (3) direct snap to Tebow, and he fakes a run and then throws to Gronk or Hernandez...and while Tebow isn't as good a thrower as a QB, he's MUCH better a thrower than a RB is, and many teams run HB option plays so that's a possibility, (4) snap to Brady and he hands off to Tebow, which is something the Pats often do as well, and again, Tebow is a very good short-yardage runner, or (5) snap to Brady, hand off to Tebow, and then have Tebow throw it.

I would see (1), (2), or (3) being the most likely scenarios, but the defense *would* have to account for Tebow. He's a very strong runner and, unlike running backs, if you pile everyone in to stop the run, he can hurt you with a pass. Yes, he really can.

Why this *might* be an effective thing to run on occasion is that the defense would have to account for all these possibilities. When they hand off to Ridley, they never, ever have to even think about him stopping and throwing the ball. So the moment he touches it, it's all hands on deck in run support. With Tebow, one of the reasons he has such a good YPC is because defenses do actually have to give some respect to him passing.

So to your point, no, Brady is not being benched for a play. He's in and defenses have to prepare for him to get the snap and do his usual thing.

While I agree with all of you, I can see a situation for the original post. It involves us being up 40 or so points vs. the Jets and/or Denver, but ...:D

The reason for the OP is because if the Pats are going to have him on the team, then BB thinks he's useful for a reason. Maybe it's just as a 3rd string QB and he'll never play, and that's fine with me. But if they do look to use him some, I'm trying to envision a scenario whereby it might make sense. I definitely can't see him replacing Brady just to throw the ball normally. I also don't see him as a regular RB or TE. So this is the best I could come up with.

Cut before August 31st.

See you guys Week 1.

I WILL pay you for making me feel better...
fest30.gif

Keep underestimating him. He's about to once again prove his haters wrong.
By doing what exactly? Replacing Tom Brady? I'm not sure I'd like him to see the field ahead of any of our Running Backs let alone Tight Ends.

I have never, not once, advocated "benching Brady in favor of Tim Freaking Tebow". Holy crap get a grip.

I said, in short yardage situations, where Tebow almost always converts when he runs the ball, have Brady in the shotgun and have Tebow lined up next to him as a RB. Then, from there, you either: (1) Snap to Brady and let him throw, which is what the Pats very often do anyway, and Tebow stays in to block, (2) direct snap to Tebow, like the Pats occasionally do in such situations or on 2-point conversions, and Tebow is a quality short-yardage runner, (3) direct snap to Tebow, and he fakes a run and then throws to Gronk or Hernandez...and while Tebow isn't as good a thrower as a QB, he's MUCH better a thrower than a RB is, and many teams run HB option plays so that's a possibility, (4) snap to Brady and he hands off to Tebow, which is something the Pats often do as well, and again, Tebow is a very good short-yardage runner, or (5) snap to Brady, hand off to Tebow, and then have Tebow throw it.

I would see (1), (2), or (3) being the most likely scenarios, but the defense *would* have to account for Tebow. He's a very strong runner and, unlike running backs, if you pile everyone in to stop the run, he can hurt you with a pass. Yes, he really can.

Why this *might* be an effective thing to run on occasion is that the defense would have to account for all these possibilities. When they hand off to Ridley, they never, ever have to even think about him stopping and throwing the ball. So the moment he touches it, it's all hands on deck in run support. With Tebow, one of the reasons he has such a good YPC is because defenses do actually have to give some respect to him passing.

So to your point, no, Brady is not being benched for a play. He's in and defenses have to prepare for him to get the snap and do his usual thing.

Sorry, but Tebow is never going to get touches over Brady, except maybe in a blow out.

Sorry, but Tebow is not a good blocker. I saw a gif of him recently as the protector for the punter and he got run over by some DB. I'm not going to leave him as the last line of defense for Brady. Heck, even Vereen had a hard time earning that trust.

Sorry, but Tebow is not a good passer. Direct snap to Tebow to throw is completely pointless. You are better off direct snapping to Brady and letting him throw it.

Sorry, but Tebow is just not that good.

Letting Tebow run it over Ridley is stupid.
Letting Tebow pass it over Brady is stupid.
Letting Tebow run it instead of a Brady QB sneak is stupid.
Letting Tebow pass protect instead of Vereen/Ridley is stupid.
Letting Tebow catch the ball instead of Vereen is stupid.

Sorry, he is just not a starter calibre player. Maybe if we had Mallett or Tannehill or some other mediocre QB I'd be okay with letting Tebow run it out of the shotgun, or even occasionally pass it. But we're not the Dolphins or Jets. We are the #3 scoring offense of all time with Greatest of All Time, Tom Freaking Brady. Every Tebow pass is a chance to take away a possession from Brady to do what he's proven he can do better than anyone in the NFL - score points.

Maybe a direct snap run for a 2 point conversion is viable as a surprise, but that's about it.

4th and one - Brady sneak
4th and two - Brady pass/Ridley run
4th and long - Brady pass

We have our work horse RB/short yardage back.
We have a HOF QB.

There is no need for Tebow to be getting any playing time besides as a backup or maybe some trick plays in garbage time.

Have Tebow lining up as a blocking TE when we're 1st down on the 30ish, make him like a normal TE each time, maybe attempt a pass to him, then on the 6th or 7th go, have him drop back. Direct snap, Brady and the running back go right. Reciever goes deep, nobody near him and Tebow launches it deep. TD Patriots. Patriots 50-0 Jets.

;)

Red Zone Play:

Gronk-Solder-Mankins-Wendell-Cannon-Vollmer-Ballard-Hernandez
---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------Brady-Tebow-----------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------Ridley------------------------------------

Hernandez, Gronk, and Ballard can go out wide or stay inline to block. Pass from Brady or Tebow punches a hole for Ridley. Alternatively a direct snap to Tebow.

I WILL pay you for making me feel better...
fest30.gif

Pretty sure he doesnt get to choose who makes the team....so you'll just have to stay miserable....which is the default around here anywhere.

Gronkowski is one of the best players in the NFL at catching passes. Why on earth would you ever run a play designed to throw at a lesser receiver, like, say, Daniel Fells? Every pass that is designed to go at Fells is a pass that could have been designed for Gronk. What idiotic coaches the Patriots must have.

Fells can catch a pass, which makes him valuable. Also, you typically have multiple receivers on the field anyway.

Tebow can't throw for ****, which makes him slightly less than ideal as a backup QB. Also, note that there are literally zero teams in the NFL that have a quarterback rotation. One starter and one or more backups, every time.

Fells can catch a pass, which makes him valuable. Also, you typically have multiple receivers on the field anyway.

Tebow can't throw for ****, which makes him slightly less than ideal as a backup QB. Also, note that there are literally zero teams in the NFL that have a quarterback rotation. One starter and one or more backups, every time.

are you on the west coast, FTW??

if so, what is the media response out there so far???...any at all?

well...I just wanted to be sure...already there's a significant "under the radar...nothing to see here" presence being felt here...Ocho Stinko caught 30 days for contempt of court today...normally that would be a hot button topic here...it's as if he doesn't even exist now, though...

Day one....this is as quiet as it's ever going to get this summer...watch....

"he's going to be a great role model for the Gronk!!!!"...I should copyright THAT one

Let's see him make the 53 man roster first.

But I generally agree with the OP and not the haters - Tebow is a guy that Defenses must gameplan for, not knowing if he's going to throw or run if he's given the ball - and that's on top of having to defend against Brady first and foremost.

Seriously folks - why all the hate? I wouldn't want to be a DC trying to defend against that.

Who said anything about a quarterback rotation? I'm talking about a *trick play* when you hand off to Tebow and he throws. You know, the Patriots did this at times with Kevin Faulk. The Steelers did it with Antwan Randle El. Teams have other people besides their QB throw the ball. Trick plays do not equal a "QB rotation".

The premise of the OP is this: imagine if Tebow makes the team, and imagine he's not on the team just to be a 3rd QB (which is what I think he should be). So imagine they actually plan to *USE* him. What situation can you envision them using him?

I came up with the most realistic thing I could think of. Given the premise of the OP, can you come up with a more realistic idea?

Who said anything about a quarterback rotation? I'm talking about a *trick play* when you hand off to Tebow and he throws. You know, the Patriots did this at times with Kevin Faulk. The Steelers did it with Antwan Randle El. Teams have other people besides their QB throw the ball. Trick plays do not equal a "QB rotation".

The premise of the OP is this: imagine if Tebow makes the team, and imagine he's not on the team just to be a 3rd QB (which is what I think he should be). So imagine they actually plan to *USE* him. What situation can you envision them using him?

I came up with the most realistic thing I could think of. Given the premise of the OP, can you come up with a more realistic idea?

The difference is that Kevin Faulk was a good running back, and Antwan Randle El was a pretty good wide receiver. They had real positions that they were able to play at a high level, and the trick plays were a small thing that was nice enough, but would never have earned them a roster spot in its own right. Tebow does not have that, and if his refusal to be anything other than a QB is still a thing, then he won't be developing that, by a long shot.

The difference is that Kevin Faulk was a good running back, and Antwan Randle El was a pretty good wide receiver. They had real positions that they were able to play at a high level, and the trick plays were a small thing that was nice enough, but would never have earned them a roster spot in its own right. Tebow does not have that, and if his refusal to be anything other than a QB is still a thing, then he won't be developing that, by a long shot.

Tim Tebow is a very good runner of the football. Have you seen his career rushing stats? They're terrific, with plenty of sample size to go from.

If he's a QB3 on this roster, that can come in a couple of times a game and give the defense a different look and maybe make a couple of things happen, isn't that better than a QB3 who just sits on the bench and does....NOTHING?

If Tebow makes the roster , I think BB will experiment with 2 point conversions. That is a possibility of him getting on the field and playing to one of Tebow's strengths and It does not affect Brady being on the field at all as he wouldn't be on the field anyway .

It's the type of innovation BB loves .

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore