Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Play to Run for Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ivanvamp, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Short yardage situation (preferably within the 5 yard line). Brady in the shotgun, Tebow next to him as a RB in shotgun formation. The Pats obviously do this all the time anyway, even with Hernandez. You've got Gronk and Hernandez at TE and Amendola split wide. We know Tebow is terrific on taking those handoffs and pounding ahead for a handful of yards. So they can go direct snap to him. They can use him to block for Brady. They can snap to Brady, fake the handoff to Tebow, and hit Gronk or Hernandez. Or then can direct snap to Tebow and he hits Gronk (a huge target that even Tebow might have a hard time missing) for a short TD.

:D:D:D
  2. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 4 / -2

#51 Jersey

I'd rather the Patriots handed the ball off to a Running Back. I also like my Quarterbacks with high completion percentages and my Wide Receivers and Tight Ends running crisp routes catching the football.
  3. Big-T

Big-T On the Roster

Ratings:
    +332 / 11 / -4

#51 Jersey

OR they could use Blount, or Vereen (who was pretty much 100% at the short yardage TD).

There's 53 roster spots and a ton of RBs, WRs and TEs who would benefit the team more in the long run.
  4. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -2

#24 Jersey

Brady throws the ball, chief.
  5. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No kidding, Kimosabe.
  6. tonyto3690

tonyto3690 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Direct snap run: Better off giving to Ridley
    Direct snap pass: Better off letting Brady throw
    Handoff to Tebow: Better off giving to Ridley
    Catcher out of the backfield: Better off giving to Vereen
    Decoy/Playaction: Better off with Hernandez or Vereen
    Blocker for Brady: Better of QB sneak under center

He'll be alright as an emergency 3rd string QB, or as a part time FB, or 5th string TE. Along with some mediocre STs play. His value isn't in any starting level play. It's in that he can do a bunch of different things as a backup player.
  7. pdangle

pdangle Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

These are all true in a vacuum. But when you add in the fact that the opposing D needs to ACCOUNT for a Tebow like threat in addition to Brady, it leaves a possible exploitable hole or weakness that could be larger than any of the single options above alone.
  8. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 4 / -2

#51 Jersey

It leaves an exploitable hole for a Running Back, not a player who thinks he's a Quarterback being forced to play another position so he can stay in the NFL.

I'm not going to hide the fact that I have very strong negative feelings toward the signing of Tebow in any way, shape, form or duration as a football move.
  9. TheFlyingWedge

TheFlyingWedge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dont want Brady running around out there trying to block anyone - He'll get killed and he'd be a liability on the field doing anything but throwing the ball.
  10. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 13 / -8

Who needs to account for Tebow?
  11. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Tebow has a career rushing average of 5.0. Most teams account for a running back that has a rushing average of 5.0.

And, while he cannot throw nearly as well as other quarterbacks, he *can* throw much better than most running backs. Since many teams have a HB option trick play, if Tebow gets the ball in the backfield it at least means that other teams have to *consider* the fact that he can throw it to a guy that's downfield.

So yes, teams will account for Tebow.
  12. tonyto3690

tonyto3690 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You hugely overestimate how much teams "account" for Tebow as a passer.

Ridley can gain over 4 YPC and is a threat for 20+ gains
    Brady is playing at an all time level- arguably the all time best

Tebow is a minimal threat as a runner
    Tebow is not a threat as a passer

You're missing the point.

Taking snaps away from either Ridley or Brady is a huge mistake. Ridley has the potential to be a top 5 running back. Brady is arguably having the greatest 3 year stretch in NFL history.
  13. Nitro

Nitro Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

Only play I want to see tebow run is named the "release and locker cleanout". The guy's only offer was from some team called the omaha steaks or something like that.. and a cfl team but only as a backup... That says a lot right there.
  14. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Gronkowski is one of the best players in the NFL at catching passes. Why on earth would you ever run a play designed to throw at a lesser receiver, like, say, Daniel Fells? Every pass that is designed to go at Fells is a pass that could have been designed for Gronk. What idiotic coaches the Patriots must have.
  15. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +635 / 13 / -12

The play to run for Tim Tebow???

well...first off , the Pats have to move the practice field to the side of RT 1...either side, north or south will do...then wait for about five or ten tractor trailers highballing it about 80 mph ...as they roll past the Razor the coaches yell..."Timmy!!...Go long!!!!..."..and then run the Chosen Turd right out into the oncoming semis....best play I can think of...
  16. tonyto3690

tonyto3690 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm pretty sure there are very very very few plays where it's designed to go to Fells or any other receiver over Gronk. Sometimes it just happens Gronk is covered and he had to throw to the next guy in the progression.

The difference is you're guaranteeing that Tebow is either running or throwing the ball.

There is a difference between going through progressions and throwing to Fells, and deciding to go to Fells over Gronkowski.

There is a huge difference between going through your progressions and hitting the 4th option, and deciding to bench Brady in favor of Tim Freaking Tebow.
  17. Ironman44

Ironman44 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

He had 32 career TDs before the Jets debacle ( in a limited time ) , he also has a career 5.0 yards per carry , was also #1 in the nfl TD efficiency in the red zone in 2011 , but keep believing he's the worst player ever , no need for facts to get in the way of that narrative .
  18. lurker1965

lurker1965 Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 6 / -7

No Jersey Selected

While I agree with all of you, I can see a situation for the original post. It involves us being up 40 or so points vs. the Jets and/or Denver, but ...:D

Snarky answer, the Steelers.:) (I know what you mean, but any chance to rib the Steelers is good.)
  19. Nitro

Nitro Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

He once completed only 2 passes in an entire nfl game.. do you understand how hard that is to do without just firing the ball directly at your feet over and over? He's worthless as a QB and he's dead last on the RB depth chart here too.
  20. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +635 / 13 / -12

Nitro...you should offer the Chosen Lummox a libation that uses your nick as the main ingredient....just a thought...can't....stop...thinking....bad...things...arrrgghhhh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.