PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Eagles "Tush Push" QB sneak

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I'm sure the rest of the league's D-Coordinators are looking forward to seeing what BB can scheme up to stop the sneak with 5 months of preparation.

Why doesn't a team just try to time the snap to go over J Kelce and crush Hurts? Good chance to stop it and maybe force a TO and I thought a leaping penalty only applied to kicks. Worst thing that can happen is offsides. Either way you're inflicting pain on the QB and sending a message this is going to happen every time they try it.

I'm sure the rest of the league's D-Coordinators are looking forward to seeing what BB can scheme up to stop the sneak with 5 months of preparation.

Why doesn't a team just try to time the snap to go over J Kelce and crush Hurts? Good chance to stop it and maybe force a TO and I thought a leaping penalty only applied to kicks. Worst thing that can happen is offsides. Either way you're inflicting pain on the QB and sending a message this is going to happen every time they try it.
that play should be flagged everytime its run

that play should be flagged everytime its run
Or at least allow the defense to do it too. Makes no sense that the QB can be pushed but LBs can’t push D-Lineman forward to defend that play.

I’d love to see refs start calling false starts seems like there’s a lot of them out of that lineup.

Or at least allow the defense to do it too. Makes no sense that the QB can be pushed but LBs can’t push D-Lineman forward to defend that play.

I’d love to see refs start calling false starts seems like there’s a lot of them out of that lineup.
its basically the linemen carrying the runner, which is against the rules...

maybe if we start doing it, the league will outlaw it

17:56

its basically the linemen carrying the runner, which is against the rules...

maybe if we start doing it, the league will outlaw it
Payton says the Broncos will start doing it if the league didn’t ban it. Guess we’ll find out.

Imagine your HC asking you to put your hands on another grown man’s ass to assist him to get extra yards.

What if the defense mirrors what they do? Have a lb and/or safety push our linemen against them at the point of attack. It would boil down to who pushes harder.

Take their ankles out ...

Yet another example that "Player Safety" is a Lie.

Chicks Dig the Long Ball. That's their Truth now.

I don't think it was stopped more than once or twice all of last season if at all.
Hurts can squat some ridiculous weight. So the combo of his legs moving and the linemen pushing is basically unstoppable.

Like I said, they won't change the rule until Lurie and the Eagles win another Super Bowl. Good chance that is this season.

What if the defense mirrors what they do? Have a lb and/or safety push our linemen against them at the point of attack. It would boil down to who pushes harder.
That’s the problem. I think it’s illegal for defensive players to do that but it’s ok for the offense. Makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

It was stopped a few times. I see the Cowboys were trying to time a jump like I suggested. I like how the Packers stopped it at 2:36. Almost like an OLB blitz where they recognized Hurts was leaning one way after the pile stopped.

Don’t know why the Eages don’t PA off of this more. Or I don’t follow them that closely so maybe they do….

Last edited:
This is simply a bad play. A very DANGEROUS play. For most of football history since the 1920's, its been an ILLEGAL play. It's just ANOTHER example of the Park Av boys hypocrisy. I couldn't believe that the rules committee legalized this play for this season. It is simply UNFAIR.

Unfortunately it is going to take a couple of guys getting injured to stop it.

BTW- there is only ONE way for a defense you successfully stop that kind of mass attack. The front 5 have to ATTACK the OL leading with their helmets LOWER than OL. Plant their FOREHEADS into the OLman numbers. If the use of the term head offends you, substitute shoulder. The point is you CANNOT use your hands an be high and expect to stop that mass. You have to be lower and hit with more power at the point of attack. Then you need at least 4 guys to be there when Hurts starts to try and "leak" out when the pile doesn't move.

Power punches to the DL's chest WILL NOT work. Repeat, WILL NOT work. Foreheads and shoulders, CAN safely repel this invasion.

Last edited:
maybe Eagles will sign that ***ot guy to help with the Tush Push play

i really cant help myself

On Thursday night, the refs blew a play dead when a RB wasn't down yet....can't remember the RB/play. The RB gained about 5 yards and was still upright in the middle of a scrum...could have gotten 6-7 more yards if the OL men pushed the scrum forward.

It was stopped a few times. I see the Cowboys were trying to time a jump like I suggested. I like how the Packers stopped it at 2:36. Almost like an OLB blitz where they recognized Hurts was leaning one way after the pile stopped.

Don’t know why the Eages don’t PA off of this more. Or I don’t follow them that closely so maybe they do….

They didn't play action off it last year, but I'm sure they'll have something off the look this year.

Thanks for the clip, it was really informative. It solidified my belief that this is the most DANGEROUS play in football. It REQUIRES the players on the LOS to make helmet to helmet contact. REQUIRES it. The eagle OL is ALWAYS lower than the defense. THey are literally firing out at the defense's ankles forcing them to the ground and thereby allowing Hurts and his bodyguards to crawl over them.

I saw a few teams try sending someone over the top. None looked successful. Hurts was always lower than the flier and he kind of sails over his back all the time. There was one successful stop where the blitzer came in very quickly from the side, got his legs and stopped his momentum, but the straight over the top of the center guy didn't seem to work.

I think the biggest reason for the success of the play is Kelce. Even though he is snapping the ball, he is always the first guy off the ball and he almost always gets that bit of forward movement they need. Remember 2 yds is a long gain with this play. They don't need much.

the more I think on it, I wouldn't necessarily use my biggest players on the inside, but rather the DL on my team that have the fastest reactions with movement. He who is first and he who is LOWEST will win.

I don't know why I'm pissed at how dangerous this play is. This is the way I played EVERY play I ever played during the 10 years I played tackle football, leading with my head and trying to put my forehead and shoulder into his chest, whether it was blocking on offense or taking on blockers and ball carriers on D. The only blocks you took on with your hands were when someone dove at your feet. (you saw that a lot at LB) Everything else was with you helmet shoulders, and forearm shiver. I SHOULD be celebrating the damned play........and now I'm just rambling.......

Take their ankles out ...
Animated GIF

That’s the problem. I think it’s illegal for defensive players to do that but it’s ok for the offense. Makes no sense at all.

Really? I had no idea. I only thought you couldn’t use a fellow defender to propel yourself. If so that’s something the competition committee really has to address.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back