Welcome to PatsFans.com

The officially merged all Patriots draft choice threads

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MossWelkowski, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think we need official threads with any analysis and news on the player. I hate running through multiple threads.
  2. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Official Ras-I Dowling Thread

I think we need official threads with any analysis and news on the player. I hate running through multiple threads.
  3. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Official Shane Vareen Thread

4. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Official Stevan Ridley Thread

5. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Official Ryan Mallet Thread

Edit: Mallett
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  6. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Official Marcus Cannon Thread

7. Frezo

Frezo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

He's in a state of flux.
  8. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Official 6th and 7th rounds, and FA prospect Thread

Please post any analysis and comments on the 6th and 7th rounders, as well as FA prospects in this thread
  9. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

I don't think that is much more to say. Solder was the #2 OT on most boards, although some had him behind Castonzo. For example, Gosselin had Solder as the #13 best player and Castonzo as #16.

Solder will likely be our LT for the next 5-6 years, will probably ready to start by midseason like Vollmer, although camp delays could slow down his progress.
    ================================================

The pick of Solder seems to mean that Light will not be back. There is disagreement with regard to Kaczur coming back, and to who will be the Day 1 starter at LT. My preference is Kaczur at LT until Solder is ready.
  10. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You know what the best thing is? You know the colts wanted Solder BAD... I think BB not only picked him for OL help but to spite Manning... LOL.. Colts were easily drafting solder if not for the pats
  11. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I would be willing to bet my life savings that spiting the colts had no part in the decision making process of the franchise.
  12. MossWelkowski

MossWelkowski Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Re: Official Shane Vareen Thread

Intersting Tidbit here... Shane Vareen put up the second most reps in the bench at 31 reps! Thats a ton for a half back. The most put up 32 reps and he looks like a fullback.

Def and strong kid
  13. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

14. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

then I think you should start 10 new threads.
  15. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Vereen is the son of the cousin of Dancer/Actor Ben Vereen. Let's hope he doesn't dance behind the line like Maroney, sorry, bad joke. That being said, watching the YouTube highlights of Vereen, he might be the Pats shiftiest back since Curtis Martin. He's got some great moves in the open field, cuts really well, and though short, has obvious strength. He's gonna bring some excitement to the Pat's backfield, great receiver too ! Let's post some videos in here too.

YouTube - Shane Vereen 2010 Highlights
  16. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just like the Colts were dying to get Maroney :(

We showed em up then too.
  17. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Re: Official Ryan Mallet Thread

Man, Mallett has a sick arm, what a cannon. Can't wait to see him play in a Pat's uni.
  18. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57 / 2 / -2

Re: Official Ryan Mallet Thread

that's why he's been called the human juggs machine
  19. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Official 6th and 7th rounds, and FA prospect Thread

This thread Officially Sucks :rocker:
  20. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

21. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nice, all theese threads are merged, now I don't got to look through them all. :rocker:
  22. Don Kipines

Don Kipines Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I admit to being terrified that Mark Ingram will haunt us a la Clay Matthews. But the one thing I can say about Vereen is that it looks like he's above-average at everything. Better-than-average speed, better-than-average elusiveness, he gets his pads low, he breaks tackles, good balance, very good receiving ability, and so on. Maybe not great at anything, but very good at most things. I would bet the attraction for the Patriots is that he allows them to run any kind of play on offense, unlike BJGE (where they know he's not running pass routes) or to a lesser extent Woodhead (you can't really rely on him to pass-block, although he tries).

He's not going to punish a defense physically but he looks like he'll be a headache to defend, especially in this offense. You can easily imagine him hovering near 5 yards a carry.
  23. Isaac

Isaac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Official Nate Solder Thread

I wholehardedly agree. Thread merging by the mods is critical for a good board, but the one exception should be that each draft pick should have a thread. We used to do it that way a few years ago and it was very nice and clean. I'm not sure why that changed. My 2 cents.
  24. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I think that we need only one thread to discuss the Patriots drafts choices, as they have been discussed over and over again on previous threads.

EDIT: if there is any new information regarding any of the Patriots draft choices then a new thread is certainly in order.
  25. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

lolz567890
  26. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

I direct you to post #10 and post #11 in this thread.
  27. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I'm definitely looking forward to Lee Smith completely dominating Clay Matthews in the run game in the near future.
  28. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Can we talk just a little more about Dowling. I know this has been discussed, and I know it's been alluded to, but I'd like to see more analysis about Dowling's style of play.

A couple points:

1. We have Bodden and McCourty at CB, backed up by Arrington, Butler, Wilhite. That's not a bad situation to be in for CBs. Remember, with the backups, they are very young. A player like Asante Samuel didn't come on until his 3rd year.

2. We have a 2 time Pro Bowler in Meriweather who will be in the last year of his contract at FS. He's backed up by a solid but slow guy who is earning $3 million plus. Opposing players seem to think a lot of Meriweather as an intimidator. But the Patriots probably value his play a lot less than the 2 Pro Bowls would intimate. They are not going to overpay to retain him.

3. If we're worried about replacing Meriweather, we want to make preparations NOW, because bringing in a rookie--or a vet for that matter--to become QB of the defense--that's too risky.

4. McCourty is a physical presence at CB and he played fantastically. Dowling is not McCourty accoridng to some scouts because he's a little tight in the hips. His sped is mostly straight line. As such, he might play like a bigger better Kyle Arrington. And that's fine for a #2 Cb. However, I remain totally unconvinced that Belichick has moved away from his preferred munchkin style of CB who is highly capable of staying with WRs or cutting them off at the path precisely because of their quick hips and overall quickness. Just because McCourty can do it does not mean that suddenly Belichick prefers big CBs.

These four factors lead me to conclude that Dowling was brought here as a FS.

I guess I want to see if people can discuss Dowling's technique and skill set when it comes to the possibility of him being a CB. Can he be a CB in a Belichick defense?
  29. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If they don't value his play, why did he get almost 100% of the snaps from week 4 on? The guy litterally sat out 17 snaps between week 4 and week 14. Thats a play and a half on the bench each week.

During that same time, and this is completly ignoring the two games he was inactive (so you can add 120 or so snaps), Pat Chung sat out roughly 140 snaps.

Brandon Merriweather isn't just A Starter at Safety, hes at the top of the depth chart.

Dowling is not a safety. He's here as Bodden Insurance/to replace Bodden in the next couple years.
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  30. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I didn't say they didn't value his play. I said they didn't value him at the level of giving him Pro Bowlers salary. Clearly, it's not the fan vote that gets Meriweather to the PB. It's the opposing coaches and players. If the Patriots thought of him that highly, they wouldn't have sat him or benched him to start games a couple times.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.