PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Richard Seymour is OVERRATED Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a surprise a thread like this coming from "National Sports Advisors". Exactly what sports do you give advise to? Are you a paid consultant?

That's quite the handle you have given to yourself as a user name. Mine describes me perfectly. But I'm wondering why such the loftly user name?

Because he's a troll trying to disguise himself. The Sey comment makes it very obvious. My guess is a Bronco fan. I'm sick of him spamming the board with his baiting threads (which is what they are). I say ban him. At least with Aqua you know he's a fish head. :D

How come everyone is ignoring the topic of my thread and taking their little 9th grade shots at me? What's the matter, can't find any excuses to excuse the lackluster play from our BIG MONEY defensive lineman?

I'm not ignoring your topic. In fact, if you look at my earleir post, I picked up on one of your points and asked you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Sports Advisors
Upset? Bro, I have major concerns with this team. 12-0 doesn't mean anything. Look how the defense is playing. Are you confident that we can stop the Peyton Manning's and Tony Romo's of the world? Bro, we have problems. The 2005 Colts started off 12-0 too. How did they finish? People can sweep everything under the rug all they want, but our football team has some serious issues. Our defense doesn't tackle well, gets no pass rush far too much, and has become vulnerable to the run. This is not championship level defense. Big Sey needs to step up his game.

But not nearly the quantity and quality of problems every other team in the league has.
Who is playing championship level football right now, if not the Pats?

and yet, you ignored me. Your posts consistenlty pick on one or two players, Seymor and LoMo, for example, and then you make sweepingt statments of gloom and doom, like, "how can we stop Mannign and Romo and this isn't champioinship level defense."
You look at the rankings and I think the Pats D is doing fine overall. Especially when coupled with our offense.
No other team can match that combo. Name one.

Upset? Bro, I have major concerns with this team. 12-0 doesn't mean anything.
I think to you 12-0 does mean something,but it is the wrong thing.
You(and many others) are equating a perfect record with a perfect team and that is not the way it is.
Neither the 2001 or 2003 SB teams were perfect.
Are you impressed with the Colts wins at home against KC & Jacksonville?
HFA is important and will dull the Colts pass rush a tad.
Focus less on the Pats record and enjoy the season!

I'm not ignoring your topic. In fact, if you look at my earleir post, I picked up on one of your points and asked you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Sports Advisors
Upset? Bro, I have major concerns with this team. 12-0 doesn't mean anything. Look how the defense is playing. Are you confident that we can stop the Peyton Manning's and Tony Romo's of the world? Bro, we have problems. The 2005 Colts started off 12-0 too. How did they finish? People can sweep everything under the rug all they want, but our football team has some serious issues. Our defense doesn't tackle well, gets no pass rush far too much, and has become vulnerable to the run. This is not championship level defense. Big Sey needs to step up his game.

But not nearly the quantity and quality of problems every other team in the league has.
Who is playing championship level football right now, if not the Pats?

and yet, you ignored me. Your posts consistenlty pick on one or two players, Seymor and LoMo, for example, and then you make sweepingt statments of gloom and doom, like, "how can we stop Mannign and Romo and this isn't champioinship level defense."
You look at the rankings and I think the Pats D is doing fine overall. Especially when coupled with our offense.
No other team can match that combo. Name one.

The defense is playing terrible RIGHT NOW. Do you think our defense is playing the kind of football needed to win the super bowl? Do you honestly think our defense is going to be able to play like this and stop Tony Romo and Peyton Manning? I mean, seriously. The problem with BIG SEY is NOT that he is a bad player, but that he is NOT playing like a GREAT PLAYER. That's why he gets paid the big money. No sacks, no hurries, no forced fumbles, no tackles behind the line of scrimmage, no tackles at the line of scrimmage, nothing.

I think to you 12-0 does mean something,but it is the wrong thing.
You(and many others) are equating a perfect record with a perfect team and that is not the way it is.
Neither the 2001 or 2003 SB teams were perfect.
Are you impressed with the Colts wins at home against KC & Jacksonville?
HFA is important and will dull the Colts pass rush a tad.
Focus less on the Pats record and enjoy the season!

Wrong. I had more confidence in the 2003 and 2004 teams at this point even though they weren't undefeated. Those teams could dominate defensively. This team has not shown me it can. This defense worries me big time.

Stupid? If the guy was getting sacks, hurries, forcing fumbles, or shutting down the run, than we would all notice. Did he do any of that last night? Has he done anything all year? Puhleaze. The guy isn't playing like the pro bowler he is paid to be and you know it.

He didn't play that bad last night, at least in the first half which I studied a little bit. He is probably not playing up to pro bowl level right now, and may be gaining attention based on his reputation over his level of play too, its possible. From your list I would say that he did contribute to shutting down the run at points, and he also did force a few QB hurries. I heard his named called for applying pressure, if that is the scale by which you choose to measure his performance. I'd say the lack of fumbles should be credited to the Raven's backs who probably made that a true point of emphasis for their game.

Also, keep in mind that the Patriots 3-4 defense often requires 3 defensive linemen to occupy multiple blockers, which isn't really conducive to them getting strip sacks and dropping RB's for 5 yard losses.

How about this, when you see a bunch of OL's getting massed together at the point of attack (where the RB runs after the handoff) and the RB is forced outside to be tackled by the safety or OLB, know that the defense worked to its design and, if Seymour was on the field, he probably had a lot to do with the success.

No one except Danny belives you are a fan. Your outrages, consistant, and continued hatred for everything Patriots is too black and white.
You're not a fan.

The defense is playing terrible RIGHT NOW. Do you think our defense is playing the kind of football needed to win the super bowl? Do you honestly think our defense is going to be able to play like this and stop Tony Romo and Peyton Manning? I mean, seriously. The problem with BIG SEY is NOT that he is a bad player, but that he is NOT playing like a GREAT PLAYER. That's why he gets paid the big money. No sacks, no hurries, no forced fumbles, no tackles behind the line of scrimmage, no tackles at the line of scrimmage, nothing.

You STILL didn't answer my question, all you did was repeat yourself.
I understand already you think that Sey stinks, and the D is terrible.
I disagree, the D isn't "terrible", it has problems but it made key stops late in the game against the Colts, Eagles and Ravens when absolutely necessary. Yes, the Pats can win the Super Bowl like this. They dont' have to shut out anyone, all they have to do is make more key stops than the other team's D, and so far, they have been perfect in that department this year.
Which leads me back to my question, the one you refuse to answer: Who's D is better than ours right now, and what type of offense does that team have? The other D not only has to be bgetter than ours, but the other O has to be as well...and that team does not exist in teh NFL this year (and that includes teh team you root for.....:D )

Been a Pats fan since the age of 4. Remember watching the 3-13 (and similar) seasons with my Dad while growing up. Definitely not a troll in this thread, but trying to be unbiased. So here goes: I've been reading comments here (in particular, by NSA) and feel that NSA is not trolling, but being critically aware of this team's actual and potential weaknesses. He is constantly being bashed while making generally intelligent and valid critical statements. The Pats have been showing holes (big ones) in the defense at times, but do make the big stop when the game is on the line. Seymour and company were getting bullied last night. Read this thread in particular: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=69509.
I feel that there is a big homeristic (is this a word?) effect on this site at times, and that's normal for any home team's website. However, I feel that sometimes we put on blinders when talking about something we don't want to see/hear about our beloved Patriots. I am not saying I always agree or disagree with NSA and others, but just giving my $0.02.

How can a player on any team at any position who is game planned for by the opposition be considered overrated? The whole point of those gameplans are to make those players ineffective. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Last edited:
Been a Pats fan since the age of 4. Remember watching the 3-13 (and similar) seasons with my Dad while growing up. Definitely not a troll in this thread, but trying to be unbiased. So here goes: I've been reading comments here (in particular, by NSA) and feel that NSA is not trolling, but being critically aware of this team's actual and potential weaknesses. He is constantly being bashed while making generally intelligent and valid critical statements. The Pats have been showing holes (big ones) in the defense at times, but do make the big stop when the game is on the line. Seymour and company were getting bullied last night. Read this thread in particular: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=69509.
I feel that there is a big homeristic (is this a word?) effect on this site at times, and that's normal for any home team's website. However, I feel that sometimes we put on blinders when talking about something we don't want to see/hear about our beloved Patriots. I am not saying I always agree or disagree with NSA and others, but just giving my $0.02.

I agree 100%. And the funny thing about some of the most "Hardcore Homers" on this site... is that they are not even from NE!!!! :rolleyes:

This team has not shown me it can. This defense worries me big time.
I didn't mention the 2004 team did I?
In 2003 What were your thoughts after the Denver game,A 30-26 Pats win were Portis ran for over 100YDS?
The game against the Colts,A 38-34 win for the Pats?
People like to complain and you are one of those people!

Last edited:
I know I will get blasted for being "negative" again, but such is life. Richard Seymour just may be the most OVERRATED defensive player in football. Hands down. Everyone talks about Freeney on these boards like he is overrated, but at least that guy has an IMPACT on some games!! When was the last time Big Sey did ANYTHING during a game that the announcers or fans noticed???? The guy gets paid TOP DOLLAR to be a dominant defensive lineman. Dominant defenseive linemen get sacks, force fumbles, get hurries on the QB, shut down the run, etc.... I'm sorry, but would our defense miss this guy at all if he went down and Jarvis Green had to fill in?? Would we not miss Asante Samuel more? It's going to be a shame if we lose Samuel over money, when we are paying Big Sey a boat load of money and not getting the big time production that should accompany it. Big Sey might be a great guy and a team captain, but that does not excuse the fact that he is always hurt and does not give pro bowl level production when he is on the field.
....... more like the official NSA is OVERRATED Thread.

National Sports Advisors = NEM ??:confused:

Thank you. Well said.

People like to complain and you are one of those people!

In case you havent noticed... up until the last few years, that's what us "Chowds" do!!! WE COMPLAIN!! :D How do you think the "Whiner Line" got it's name? lol

In case you havent noticed... up until the last few years, that's what us "Chowds" do!!! WE COMPLAIN!! :D How do you think the "Whiner Line" got it's name? lol

Exactly. The Whiner Line is the best part of the show. Hey, maybe I whine too much. That's just how I was raised watching sports in Boston, LOL! It's what we do best.:D

Last edited:
I know I will get blasted for being "negative" again, but such is life. Richard Seymour just may be the most OVERRATED defensive player in football.

I have a bad feeling about Richard's health. I cannot imagine him being dominated without something being wrong.

It's possible that the lack of strength in the knee is causing him to be sub-par. I don't really know, but I don't think you're out of line calling him out. I just wouldn't overlook the injury possibility, or go to such great lengths to exaggerate his lack of worth to the team. If he was not worth putting on the field, they simply would bench him.

I think there's something wrong. I wouldn't rag on a warrior like Richard until proven otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes