PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Pats-Jets post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Force the ball to Gronk much?

For those keeping score at home, Gronk was targetted 17 times today and Brady had a total of 46 attempts.

I was disappointed to not see Hooman and Gronk more on the field at the same time. I imagine that would have fortified our run game more and given us some flexibility.

Targets- Catches:
Gronk 17 8
Edelman 7 5
Dobson 7 3
KT 5 2
Collie 5 1

Brady 22 of 46 today.

I wouldn't have let Woodhead walk, and I would have signed Welker--if for now other reason so he couldn't go to Peyton.

The rest of the receiving crew needed a reboot. The Wilfork and Mayo injuries fall into the bad luck column.

Anyway, this game sucked, but the Pats rolling through the regular season hasn't led to any titles the last ten years. Struggle now instead--what the hell.

What about the illegal pick on Gronk?

PF on Chandler for little push?

No PI on Dobson's back shoulder drop?

The illegal pick on Gronk was ridiculous.

If Brady had actually thrown it accurately to Gronk they would have won. Missed a TD on the last drive. It wasn't who he missed it was his frequent misses.

Roses go to:

Chandler Jones - 11 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFLs, 2 QB hits. Except for the 15 yard penalty, great day.

I don't remember the players involved, but a Jets player did EXACTLY what Jones did in the prior series, with no call.

it was on the previous offensive series, when Brady threw behind KT. After the play was dead the DB pushed KT into the ground for good measure.

Last edited:
What about the illegal pick on Gronk?

PF on Chandler for little push?

No PI on Dobson's back shoulder drop?

The illegal pick on Gronk was ridiculous.

I was really confused about that call as well. What is the rule on picks? I just thought you can't set a moving pick. Gronk was definitely stationary... Another strange call.

Force the ball to Gronk much?

If Brady had actually thrown it accurately to Gronk they would have won. Missed a TD on the last drive. It wasn't who he missed it was his frequent misses.

The pic 6 is on Tom. Gronk should have had a TD at the end of regulation. Why he tried to 1 hand catch it is beyond me.

Anyway, this game sucked, but the Pats rolling through the regular season hasn't led to any titles the last ten years. Struggle now instead--what the hell.

You're right about that...

But it's nonetheless disappointing to see the offense continue to struggle (for what it's worth, the Jets DEF played well). I was hoping the defense would rise to the challenge and make a statement, despite the injuries, against a mediocre offense.

Stupid wasted game by our offense

I'm gonna vent a little:

Our offense is humming using the no-huddle, spreading the ball, and letting Brady decide where to go with the ball.

We then get the ball in midfield before halftime with about 6 minutes left, up 21-10 and a chance to bury these guys, but then we come out and slow it down. WTF?!?! Come out in an I formation, get stuffed, use the same personnel, in shotgun, but all bunched up, incomplete. And then fail on 3rd down.

We get another chance before the half thanks to our defense, and we do the same *****.

In the second half, we again come out in running formation, and Brady proceeds to get creamed, then throw an INT.

Rinse repeat (minus the INT) for the next few series.

We finally get a first down and then we go to a spread no-huddle and start moving the ball again.

WHY DID WE WAIT TO GO NO-HUDDLE FOR SO LONG WHEN IT WORKED IN THE FIRST HALF?

Brady is at his best orchestrating this offense when we are going no-huddle spreading it out. We moved it well, why did we get away from it? It allows Brady good vision to see jailbreak rushers, and he doesn't have to take a seven step drop to get rid of the ball. We can run it from this formation as well. Last year, we ran it down people's throat from this formation.

Just freaking frustrating to see a change-up when they were moving the ball so well.

Another gripe is the play selection on 3rd down. Especially the 3rd and 5 yards or closer. A few times Brady decided to go to a low percentage plays. Lobbing it to Gronk a few times. It didn't make sense when all you needed was a few yards.

Brady seriously needs to work on his deep throws. He needs a bit more air under these throws. His line-drives when he throws it deep are almost always an incomplete. He doesn't give his receivers a chance.

Defense did what they could today. Arrington is awful on the outside, but we all knew that.

End rant.:mad:

It takes some real talent to turn the best third down offense into the worst third down offense in one off season. Thanks for the memories Bill.

That being said, I don't think a 5 and 2 team should be called a steaming turd, just yet. If they end up 5-11, then I'd have to agree.

I'm not going to get into the whole thing, but I had to respond to this....

I didn't call the entire team a steaming turd, and I appreciate the difficult position the defense was in today. I was referring specifically to the offense, which has been a steaming turd for much of this season.

Ok, now for thread ignore.*

*Damn it! I forgot something......

Everyone *****ing about Brady needs to take a long, hard look at where the throws are being made. We're not seeing the Welker throws which have been the engine of the offense since 2007. Anyone who doesn't understand that the absence of that huge aspect of the game is throwing off the entire passing game should probably just become Jets fans.

I really wonder what the emphasis is.

Think about this. If you get blocked out of your straight-head spot and you end up behind your own guy, what do you do? Do you stop? It seems this rule forces you to stop.

Heck, offenses should use that rule to their advantage on fake kicks. If you know there's no gimmickry on the line, you can move these DLs and gain some yards.

I'm sure that there's going to be a lot of really bad posts made in this thread, so I'm just going to take a post from the game thread, modify it and add a bit at the end, and them I'm outta here so the two extreme sides can lob grenades at each other:

The Patriots defense is missing both of its NFL starting-level DTs. It's missing it's best LB, who happens to be the only LB capable of covering against the pass. It's missing its CB1, which leads to the CB3 and S2 being exposed.

The Patriots offense is missing it's best WR. It's dealing with a TE who's playing his first game of the year. It's missing it's only RB receiving weapon. It's got a pair of rookie WRs who are inconsistent, at best, and who struggle mightily against man coverage. It's got a center who is not starting quality going against an excellent pair of DTs. It's got a LT who's been struggling for much of this young season.

All this, and the team is coming off a last-second win in an emotional game, against an excellent opponent.

With that in mind, why were people posting as if they were shocked that this game was a struggle and ended in a loss?

Now, having done that, I'll just make one quick rant:

It took an offseason of incredible incompetence on the part of the "GM" to get this team to the point where the greatest offensive lineups in history have turned into this steaming turd.

Congrats Bill! You've taken the best team in the league and turned it into a mediocrity, in just one season. I sure as hell hope your changes improve by the factor of about 1000 that they'll need to in order to get this team just back to where it should have been.

Great post. With Kelly, Wilfork, Mayo and Talib, the Patriots would have blown out the Jets. The Jets would not have been able to repeatedly pick up 4+ yards up the middle on 1st down.

The offense, to me, looks like it could be effective if it adapted better to the talent on the field and not some vision of what might be possible if it was hitting on all cylinders. This offense is not good enough to impose its will on other teams like it did with other personnel. Belichick and McDaniels have to take what the defense is giving them, like the early 2000s.

I'm not going to get into the whole thing, but I had to respond to this....

I didn't call the entire team a steaming turd, and I appreciate the difficult position the defense was in today. I was referring specifically to the offense, which has been a steaming turd for much of this season.

Ok, now for thread ignore.

I bet you're reading every single post... liar!!!

Might be a complete coincidence but Brady (IMHO) has been really poor(compared to his own high standards) since Tom Martinez passed away.

His deep ball has been Sanchez standard!

Whether it's the mechanical adjustments that Martinez used to help him with or some sort of mental issue I'm not sure but he's been way off all season!

That said I don't think for a minute he's on the decline I just think he's playing b0llocks so far this season

Stupid wasted game by our offense

Oline I contribute to Brady forcing it to gronk. Brady went to a reliable (was) and big target. He wasn't gonna wait to get sacked anymore. The oline failed, trickling down the whole offense. And yeah, why no no huddle. It's our bread and butter right now, why not use it!!!

Great post. With Kelly, Wilfork, Mayo and Talib, the Patriots would have blown out the Jets. The Jets would not have been able to repeatedly pick up 4+ yards up the middle on 1st down.

The offense, to me, looks like it could be effective if it adapted better to the talent on the field and not some vision of what might be possible if it was hitting on all cylinders. This offense is not good enough to impose its will on other teams like it did with other personnel. Belichick and McDaniels have to take what the defense is giving them, like the early 2000s.

Didn't the Jets center own WIlfork when we played them earlier? You are assuming things. With Kelly, Wilfork, Mayo and Talib, we may or may not have beat the Jets. They aren't a complete joke of a team.

Might be a complete coincidence but Brady (IMHO) has been really poor(compared to his own high standards) since Tom Martinez passed away.

His deep ball has been Sanchez standard!

Whether it's the mechanical adjustments that Martinez used to help him with or some sort of mental issue I'm not sure but he's been way off all season!

That said I don't think for a minute he's on the decline I just think he's playing b0llocks so far this season

I couldn't help think about Martinez during some of his bad throws today... I guess he really did have a huge impact. Or maybe this correlation is the wrong one...

He was locked onto Gronk most of the day. This was not a good game by Brady or the defense by any stretch of the imagination. The WR's were getting open too but Brady wasn't throwing the ball their way. Maybe it's the drops and maybe he just felt better about the match-ups Gronk was giving him.

I think you're being hard on the defense. Aside from the first drive or so, I thought they played very well considering the limitations forced upon them. Defense kept us in that game.

It was a 56 yd kick outside. Don't get cute. Just rush normally and allow him to miss the kick. Why allow the officials the chance to make the call?

I don't think Jones was getting cute. No one would be dumb enough from that range, to try an be cute. I honestly think the guy never heard of the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes