PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Pats-Jets post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been overlooked because of Aqib Talib's dominance, but make no mistake about it, McCourty has been a very steadying FORCE at safety. He is usually in good position to make a play and he has played corner or taken a TE man-to-man very well this season. That guy will never get the respect he's due, I suspect, because of that atrocious second year at CB.

However, I am bummed. I'm not bummed so much over the loss as I am over the discouraging D. We finally had a top-five D that I really really really felt was going to frustrate the remaining teams on the schedule. I really felt we finally had a championship caliber D, as it could defend the run AND the pass. We finally had a top player and all levels of the D.

What happens? Wilfork done. Mayo done. Talib out indefinitely. That's three defensive captains and all would have likely made the Pro Bowl/All-Pro teams (usually used as some sort of measuring stick). You can't really replace any of those players, especially in the relatively short amount of time that each injury occurred (Mayo and Talib in the same game). Even Tommy Kelly was a big loss. Now we have a D that looks more like the last few seasons again.

Hightower looked lost for long stretches of the game. I remember a big thing being made of the fact that he wore the green dot at times in training camp/preseason, but he was just downright confused on some of the plays yesterday. The guys on the interior D-Line played about as well as you could ask. Chris Jones was a monster. It just wasn't enough. It's really a lot to ask of so many young players. We'll just have to hope they continue to improve as the season progresses, but there will be a lot of frustrating moments and possibly losses as they continue to develop on the job.

Kelly was playing better than Wilfork this year. If he and Talib come back healthy we'll be very solid on D. If they can somehow get a LB (Fletcher?) to cover in man-to-man, we'll be elite again.

So we lost, its the NFL.

TBH i dont really thin we deserved to win, we were sloppy and didnt manage our clock well. it wasnt a good game for us since the second half. as long as we learn from our mistakes and our lousy abillity to execute its all good.

gopats.

I think McDaniels is in love with the vertical game. It's the only reason I can think of for getting rid of Welker and Woodhead who excelled in the short, posession, passing game.

McDaniels is trying to make Brady into something he's never been.

I don't buy this idea that Brady has never thrown the long ball well. Used to throw overt the top to Deion Brnch all the time. Not going to mention Randy Moss.

Fact is, if you watched the Broncos-Colts last night, both Manning and Luck just heave it up there with little accuracy, and watch their guys come down with the ball. They also throw a lot of inaccurate passes. Dobson needs to come down with the ball. The long bomb was thrown perfectly but he slowed down for some reason. The throw to the sideline when Dobson broke open was way off. The backshoulder throw late to Dobson that was dropped was not Dobson's fault. He was interfered with.

Point is, Brady and Dobson should keep going over the top to stretch the D, and they will start connecting. If they don't, it's because Dobson is not a long ball threat. You see it all over the league: WRs grab those balls. They are rarely acuracte passes.

Reading a lot of these posts, I think fans have an inflated opinion of the Patriots. I'm on edge every week hoping for another win, when I know the team is struggling to put it together. People here are dismissing the ridiculously bad call because the Patriots played poorly and played down to the Jets. This ignores the fact that the Jets are much stronger on defense and have more talent (especially with the big 4 Patriots injuries on D), and that our offensive line struggles.

It was a miracle to be in that game at 27-27. And the Patriots are not that much better than the Jets.

This is why that ridiculous call in OT really hurts. People can say all they want about what someone "deserves" but at the end of the day, this Patriot team needs to scrape and scrap. I don't care how pretty it looks. As long as they win.

What's happened to this fanbase that is now judging games by style points? Total opposite of where we used to be.

The loss sucks the morning after but on the plus side, the Pats would be in a 3-way tie for the bye given that the Chiefs and Broncos are in the same division. Am I correct on this? I'm on my first cup of coffee and am not awake yet, lol...

The chiefs being 7-0 is not going to help us. That means effectively there is only 1 wild card spot to play for if this keeps going and pats have a tougher task ahead of winning the division and maybe be fighting more teams for a single WC spot if they dont. This team is so inconsistent and without an identity on offense that I dont know what to expect from them. 7 weeks in and they havent play a single complete game on offense.

So we lost, its the NFL.

TBH i dont really thin we deserved to win, we were sloppy and didnt manage our clock well. it wasnt a good game for us since the second half. as long as we learn from our mistakes and our lousy abillity to execute its all good.

gopats.

learning from mistakes wont automatically help the oline block better. 5 returning starters and they have got brady killed last 3 games.

It's a new rule so your years of watching football are irrelevant. And it doesn't matter if it impacted the play or not (what penalty does such a thing matter?)

No ref has ever decided the outcome of a game by making the right call. Put the blame where it belongs.

Except that it wasn't the right call. Furthermore, the Jets were doing it all game long..

BB drafted Hightower and put him in that role. I'm a big Hightower fan but he needs to be an MLB who at most drops into zone coverage. If BB wants a LB who can cover in man, he should be drafting a faster smaller guy, not a slower 270 lber.

Sorry, Manx, but faster/slower isn't the issue. It's quickness that is the issue. Hightower at 270lbs is only .05 seconds slower than Lavonte David at 233lbs. The differences come in the quickness and agility where David is better.

Ninkovich - Helloooooo....anybody home? One sack in 7 games? No QB hits, no sacks today....you were invisible.

Rookie receivers - Looked like rookies again today.

Maybe you should pay more attention. Ninkovich's primary job today wasn't pass rushing as much as sealing the edge and keeping the runner inside. Which he did very well.

Dobson had one mistake on the back shoulder throw. Other than that, he caught the stuff thrown to him that was actually catchable.

I can't blame Thompkins for Brady putting the ball in the dirt. This idea that putting the ball at his receiver's feet is the only way to protect the ball is just ridiculous.

Dobson had one mistake on the back shoulder throw. Other than that, he caught the stuff thrown to him that was actually catchable.
That should have been PI, the Jets DB was draped all over Dobson's shoulders.

The penalty was on Chris Jones....

Chandler Jones had a 15 yard Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty as well. Because he rolled the Jets player over onto his back after he tackled him. It was another ticky-tack (WTF) penalty.

Sorry, Manx, but faster/slower isn't the issue. It's quickness that is the issue. Hightower at 270lbs is only .05 seconds slower than Lavonte David at 233lbs. The differences come in the quickness and agility where David is better.

That's fair enough. I really meant "quicker" and should have been more precise.

It takes some real talent to turn the best third down offense into the worst third down offense in one off season. Thanks for the memories Bill.

That being said, I don't think a 5 and 2 team should be called a steaming turd, just yet. If they end up 5-11, then I'd have to agree.

It's Belichick's fault that Connolly and Wendell aren't playing up to expectations?

It's Belichick's fault that Welker didn't take the $8M per year deal he was offered prior to last year?

It's Belichick's fault that Aaron Hernandez is somehow involved in 3 murders?

It's Belichick's fault that Brandon Lloyd was a negative influence in the locker-room?

It's Belichick's fault that Gronkowski got injured last year and had to have 4 surgeries to fix it?

It's Belichick's fault that Vereen broke his wrist in the opening game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back