PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

Trent Brown I wonder what is Mayo's dealings with him?? Why do I ask we know the feelings between BB and Brown are mutual. I would Resign Trent Brown the Draft is not Deep at Tackle. Draft some Developmental types on Day 3. Trent Brown is worlds better than those Garbage BB signed last FA. :rolleyes: A Young QB is going to need decent protection. Our Offense needs a QB - WR and TE in that order.

I just can't fathom how you make a 4-yr LB coach a head coach overnight
Really? I can.

Actually, Mayo was more than that. As co-DC, he set up the schematics for the defense for the following week’s opponent, and Stevie Punchable Face Belichick called the defense on game day.

As LBers coach he can’t be faulted—unless he failed to push back on BB’s quirky traditionalism of inside big guys. The scheme allowed Detroit Reclamation Project Tavai to shine this season, and Bentley also—as long as the other team obliged by running between the tackles. The thumper is an obvious liability in pass coverage. Miami simply targeted him for easy peasey third down conversions.

But back to Mayo. In a perfectly just world he’d be promoted to DC, without relinquishing its responsibilities. HC would follow at least a year or two after that.

But we live in a crazy world.

You must not work at a Fortune 50 company like I do where I witness incompetents and barely adequate people being promoted to management positions solely on the basis of accidents of birth over which they had no control. The practice is engrained, practically legion, and now self-perpetuating even though internal humit knows it comes with cost and production decreases.

I hope that’s not the case with the Patriots. Players will be happy having Mayo as HC. But it won’t last without winning.

Jerod is a born leader though.
And he’s been lucky. Good looks, good marriage, beautiful healthy family, got a phenomenal job in the private sector—vice president of business development at Optum—while he did his TV gig. Not bad for a Sports Management major with zero work experience except playing ball.

There are probably at least two hundred men out there who know more football X’s and O’s than Mayo, but his leadership, drive, charisma, and luck have prevailed.

Last edited:
And he’s been lucky. Good looks, good marriage, beautiful healthy family, got a phenomenal job in the private sector while he did his TV gig.

There are probably at least two hundred men out there who know more football X’s and O’s than Mayo, but his leadership, drive, charisma, and luck have prevailed.

Did not know that! We could use some good mojo from the new hc. We all know the team was bad but the amount of injuries last year was off the charts. Lost a bunch of one score games, and caught the wrong end or borderline to bad offficiating more often then not.

I doubt Mayo, in his first game as coach, will be dropping his pants at half time in front of the whole team to make a stupid point.
Singletary clearly was a little over his head.
haha. I loved Singletary as a player, but he was out of his element as a coach.

I don't know how this puts Bill in a positive light. Davis Mills lost his job within 2 years, and over those 2 years had a 2 and 3 win season. If Bill did that, he probably would have been fired by now anyways.

It's pretty clear to me at this point that Bill Belichick hasn't had a real plan at QB for years and was content just kicking the can down the road and letting people go like it was any other position.

And that's assuming this report is even real.

I really hope this isn't true. The timing with Vrabel out seemed to line up so perfectly and now we hear that they already decided on Mayo and aren't planning to look externally for a GM? It's lunacy. I like Mayo, but wouldn't have made more sense to promote him to official DC, bring Vrabel in as the HC, and find someone who he'd agree to work with in GM/player personal decisions (I know it's reported he wanted GM power)? All the talk on the Pats not wanting to lose Mayo, are there any teams that would have actually hired him as the HC with such little experience? It seems a bit unreasonable. At least interview some candidates.
If Kraft thinks they can replicate the Patriot way and keep things the same just without Bill, this could be a long couple of years...
Mayo was hot name last HC cycle so yeah there was a good chance we lose him. Most people around the league understood that Mayo was the real DC without the title because the other guy on the staff was the coaches son.

I don't know how this puts Bill in a positive light. Davis Mills lost his job within 2 years, and over those 2 years had a 2 and 3 win season. If Bill did that, he probably would have been fired by now anyways.

It's pretty clear to me at this point that Bill Belichick hasn't had a real plan at QB for years and was content just kicking the can down the road and letting people go like it was any other position.

I guess you aren't one of those "but look at who we could a had instead" guys?
Me either, but it's interesting.

It doesn't put him in a positive light at all. Bill was the GM not a member of a GM-by-committee. The buck stops with him. If he let someone override his choice then he should have been relieved of his GM duties years ago. Jones was his pick, period. For better or worse. Unless he had plans to move up for Parsons then I'm not sure Mills would have worked out here.

This "league source" like revisionist history from someone on the team Bill side.

I guess you aren't one of those "but look at who we could a had instead" guys?
Me either, but it's interesting.
Mills was drafted at 67. We likely either were going to draft him with our 2nd and lose Barmore. Trade down and lose Barmore. Or get Barmore and trade up with our 3rd which probably costs us Stevenson.

So we would have at minimum lost someone decent to get a bust QB who was destined to fail.

Then on top of it, the 2021 draft just wasn't that special. The consensus best WR that we could tave taken was that bum Toney. The best OT at that point was Leatherwood who is practice squad now. Collins and Davis were the best LB's available and they proved to not be special. The best players drafted after us were Najee Harris who was an RB we didn't need and then Center Landon ****erson who we could have traded up from the 2nd to get which made way more sense than drafting early.

In all reality, the 15 overall that year was basically the point where the draft dried up a lot and we would have needed to trade up to get someone worthwhile. It's really not discussed enough how a meaningless win against the Jets that year negatively impacted us. We would have been in play for Micah Parsons or Rashawn Slater.

It doesn't put him in a positive light at all. Bill was the GM not a member of a GM-by-committee. The buck stops with him. If he let someone override his choice then he should have been relieved of his GM duties years ago. Jones was his pick, period. For better or worse. Unless he had plans to move up for Parsons then I'm not sure Mills would have worked out here.

This "league source" like revisionist history from someone on the team Bill side.
I still maintain Bill got extremely passive in his old age and stayed put in 2021 so that he could have one foot in and one foot out on whoever he drafted. That way he could claim to be a genius for letting his guy fall to him if it worked out and could claim "well I didn't really want him anyways" if he didn't.

The problem is Bill didn't have a real concrete vision at QB. His vision was value first. Which is why he was okay letting Brady walk without a plan.

Bill is so often criticized as being a dictator and not listening to his people. This story suggests that he did listen, even to the point of going against his better judgement at times. My impression was Bill listened, was open to being challenged, had the last word, but also had enough flexibility to recognize he might not always be right. Seems like textbook good leadership to me.

Perhaps #15 could have been a starting OT, or traded down for one.

It puts him in a positive light because at that point he was asked to relinquish complete control and work in a more collaborative manner... He did so...

If the team was looking for a consensus on the Patriots draft picks, he acquiesced to the majority opinion and drafted Mac Jones, for better or worse...

Its a moot point now that he is gone; However, it does indicate that he had the self awareness to recognize the short falls of prior drafts and worked to improve that critical process in team building.

...One of the brilliant, great things about Walter Brown was that he acknowledged right off the bat that he knew nothing about basketball.

This alone makes him one of the greatest owners ever.

Walter Brown was absolutely the Best owner in the History of Boston-area sports.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back