PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official OC/DC are really bad thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick should take over playcalling on defense

I started a thread a while back saying that I think Belichick should strip Pees of the playcalling duties. What do you guys think about this? I just feel like our defense is not a Belichick defense anymore.

Re: Belichick should Take over Playcalling on Defenes

I would welcome the change, whenever hes been miced up for games he always seems like he wants the defense to play more aggressively than what Pees is calling.

i dont think BB is doing anything different than what pees wants. he is involved in the defense and can certainly tell pees and will be telling him to do what is needed if he felt so.

I would welcome the change, whenever hes been miced up for games he always seems like he wants the defense to play more aggressively than what Pees is calling.

I'd like to see him take over as well and BB does like to get a little more physical and aggressive on D than Pees, but he'd probably be better off just firing the dude. What's the point of even having Pees on the staff if he's not gonna call plays or contribute effective game plans?

BB trusts the offense so much that he's often seen with his back to the sideline with Brady and Co. on the field trying to straighten out the issues on defense. I also think BB knows how to utilize his personnel much better than Pees.

BB should take over the play calling. It's literally impossible for him to do a worse job, even if he does retain much of Pees' sh*t stain of a game plan.

Re: Belichick should take over playcalling on defense

Do any of us really know if BB ISN'T calling the plays, or overseeing them at least, on defense? If you know for sure, feel free to present evidence of such. For me, the playcalling changes on offense are enough to see visually. McDaniels offense from '06-'08 was a lot different than it is now. So I can say with conviction that O'Brien is calling those plays. However, I am uncertain with the defense.

By the way, our defense has always been a "bend but don't break" type of defense. The only difference is that it breaks a lot more nowadays. But one can attribute that to the personnel available more than coaching.

Hate to tell you foks this, but he is not listening to Bon Jovi on those headphones...

Pees has no control over his boys....1 million votes towards BB as defensive coach and as the pic suggests.....
596843_canned_peas_2.jpg

Doesn't matter what play you call when the players miss assignments. Even Pees said himself last night had the most miscues of the entire season. If he wasn't calling the best plays you'd expect him to take the blame. This one is on execution or lack their of.

Do any of us really know if BB ISN'T calling the plays, or overseeing them at least, on defense? If you know for sure, feel free to present evidence of such. For me, the playcalling changes on offense are enough to see visually. McDaniels offense from '06-'08 was a lot different than it is now. So I can say with conviction that O'Brien is calling those plays. However, I am uncertain with the defense.

By the way, our defense has always been a "bend but don't break" type of defense. The only difference is that it breaks a lot more nowadays. But one can attribute that to the personnel available more than coaching.

i agree . somehow we dont want to blame bb .not saying i dont trust bill but he has to have some say in what is being called and overule it. if he is allowing them to call those plays then he is complicit in it. Blame OC/DC all you want but BB knows what is happening and if he is waiting for the end of the game to change it up then its been the same always. I doubt Pees is doing something BB is not agreeing in.

If Belichick is calling the shots, then that's a whole different problem, because whoever's doing it isn't doing a very good job.

Re: The official OC/DC are really bad thread ( merged)

I can't blame the CB's for last night's loss. What I saw last night from NO offensively was a revelation. While the Pats are mired in the "old way" of play design, what NO has done with offensive pass plays amounts to a paradigm shift for the entire NFL. The Colts use some of the "new way" but NO has embraced it 100%. The Pats' version amounts to Moss on a fly pattern. It used to work but defenses are ready for it now. So...we have to graduate to the "new way", with fresh well executed and unpredictable pass play design. Just my ho.

I can't blame the CB's for last night's loss. What I saw last night from NO offensively was a revelation. While the Pats are mired in the "old way" of play design, what NO has done with offensive pass plays amounts to a paradigm shift for the entire NFL. The Colts use some of the "new way" but NO has embraced it 100%.

Interesting. Not to sound stupid but what's the "new offense" exactly? Was it something Josh had begun to adopt or would have if he was still here? I wonder if we'll embrace any of this after last night? I wouldn't mind that a bit :)

If Belichick reads this thread we will finish the year at 16-4 ... :woot:

Hate to tell you foks this, but he is not listening to Bon Jovi on those headphones...

LOL.......

I honestly believe some of them think Pees is holding BB hostage in some battle of wills...

They don't understand he's the guy who ultimately sets the game plan and he has the power and the equipment to over rule any call. I got a chuckle a couple of weeks ago watching him calling in 4-4 anticipating a run and getting burned on a pass play. He said today they played mostly nickle and dime again because their focus was on stopping the pass. Said they played the run well except for a couple of long ones where blown assignments and tackling was an issue. Said that the bulk of the yardage and scoring came on 7-8 plays where there was simply blown coverage or assignments. That's failure to execute and that's on the players. Said not to take anything away from Payton but NO didn't do anything different than what they'd seen on film all season, run a lot of plays out of a variety of sets. Didn't mention any paradigm shifts... Said they are just more of a big play, vertical team while the Colts generally take what the defense is giving. There #3 WR had 16 catches coming into the game last night...

Two weeks ago he sounded dissappointed that after handling the Colts for three and a half quarters they came up a few plays short. This week he had that clipped, pissed off to the point of almost seething tone he has when he's disgusted with the performance he just witnessed. I wouldn't want to be part of his young secondary this week. I hope he saves a little something for his offense.

I do not like Pees but here is something I just posted in the weaker thread/poll

----------------------------------------

Pee's lacks an experienced defensive unit and he has to work with young bucks learning the NFL......I do not like Pees but I cannot blame him for a consistently bad pass rush..... we are lacking defensive personnel on the line at DE etc.... and we are not deep w/ solid LB's who can rush the passer.

I think the problem is a lack of pressure from the defense on the opposing QB. We give good QB's like Peyton and Brees way to much time by not applying sufficient pressure. Pees or no Pees we are lacking significant components on the defense, which during our glory years was not the case b/c we had a dominant defense.

edit:- I am a Pees critic...... but a realist. He is limited due to players he does not have in his arsenal.

This is not a personnel problem.

You know it's a coordinator issue on both sides of the ball because:
- Our 2nd half numbers, especially in the losses, have been pathetic.
- We can't win an away game

If it were a personnel problem we wouldn't have such great 1st half stats.

If it were a coordinator problem we wouldn't have such great first half stats since the first 15 or so plays are scripted by coordinators to probe a defense/offense. Based on those both teams make adjustments continually as best they can within personnel limits on both sides of the ball. Halftime adjustments are a ficticious creation of the media. There are 12 minutes available in a half and 5 of those are spent getting the teams on and off the field and into locker rooms. Then there are equipment issues and hydration issues and rest issues to deal with. A HC or position coach is lucky if they can address a single issue in the remaining time.

If it were the coordinator we couldn't win a home game either... Players make plays on the field regardless of location when they execute. When they don't, dim witted fans blame coordinators. Here some have taken that to a new level of dim wittedness considering they were blaming coordinators for not winning the last game in an 18-1 season...when the repeated failures to execute were right there for everyone to see. Some fans simply cannot accept the fact that every team loses games over the course of a 20+ game NFL season, incredible as that age old simple concept may seem.

I thought you were against using stats to make a point about the team. Really, dude, you bounce around more than a pimp in Compton. :rolleyes:

If it were a coordinator problem we wouldn't have such great first half stats since the first 15 or so plays are scripted by coordinators to probe a defense/offense.

This is more moronic thinking from you, constant excuse making for crappy coordinators.

The first half stats are indicative of what this team's talent can do when put in position to succeed, and is more indicative of Belichick's pre-game input than anything else, based on the pre-game scouting and identifying how to initially play against an opponent.

The coordinators call the actual in-game plays and the longer the game goes on, their influence upon how the team performs increases.

Pointing to the first 15 plays of a game as proof that a coordinator is good, is ridiculous. The entire rest of the game is a chess match that we LOSE because of your coordinators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back