PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Devin McCourty Fan Club Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Random picture of the day: Patriots CB Devin McCourty meets Hall of Famer Mike Haynes

Cool photo. I never saw Haynes play so can't compare, but I think it's cool that one legendary franchise CB shakes hands with the guy we hope is the next legendary franchise CB.

I love it.

I hope this isn't blasphemy when I say it, but I think McCourty will Exceed what Ty Law did in his career. I feel bad saying that but I got a feeling.

I love it.

I hope this isn't blasphemy when I say it, but I think McCourty will Exceed what Ty Law did in his career. I feel bad saying that but I got a feeling.

If McCourty gets anywhere near Law, I'll be thrilled. But he does seem to have unlimited potential and his work ethic and intelligence are off the charts.

nflgmccourtybl400.jpg

Saw this photo today and had to post it here. I'm not 100% certain, but it seems to be after Arrington's pick-6 against Green Bay.

What I love about it is how happy McCourty is. He looks equally as excited as Arrington does even.

Devin has made his share of big plays for us this year, but this photo says, to me at least, that it's all about the team, and he gets just as excited about the team's success even when he's not the guy making the play.

nflgmccourtybl400.jpg

Saw this photo today and had to post it here. I'm not 100% certain, but it seems to be after Arrington's pick-6 against Green Bay.

What I love about it is how happy McCourty is. He looks equally as excited as Arrington does even.

Devin has made his share of big plays for us this year, but this photo says, to me at least, that it's all about the team, and he gets just as excited about the team's success even when he's not the guy making the play.

That is Devin in a nutshell. He is a team guy. Period.

I hope he did not strain Arrington's neck :D. The guy is a dream come true.

So congrats to Devin McCourty on being named to the Pro Bowl. He absolutely deserved it.

Against the Bills, Devin did get burned early on around the end zone but the pass sailed a bit and the receiver caught it out of bounds. The rest of the time, he was his usual self, contributing 4 tackles and forcing a fumble on a Fitzpatrick scramble. The game was a blow-out by this time so it didn't matter much, but it was 2nd and 14 and Fitzpatrick had picked up the first down with his feet when Devin took the ball away, with Moore recovering.

It seemed the Bills didn't throw his way very often. I could only recall one pass in his area which looked like a crossing pattern caught between Guyton and McCourty.

Also, lots of people hate ProFootballFocus, but they had Devin listed as their DROY after week 15:

The Race for Rookie of the Year: A New No. 1 | ProFootballFocus.com

Our No. 6 graded cornerback had another good game against Green Bay and his consistency as much as anything is impressive. Remarkable year for McCourty. Last week: 3rd

Their metrics might be a bit wonky, but they've got McCourty near the top 5 overall for corners.

Last edited:
I am surprised and pleased to hear McCourty got selected to the pro bowl his rookie season. He definitely deserves it. I don't give too much weight to weird unproven metrics but DMac definitely passes the eye test. He is a football player and BB definitely made the right pick. Without Dmac this secondary looks a lot worse and we wouldn't be looking at the #1 seed in the AFC this year imo.

Beginning at Monday at around 7 a.m., we jumped in our car and headed down to Piscataway, N.J. on a feature we called Discovery Devin.

Since that time, I’ve been cruising around, trying to learn about Devin McCourty, the Patriots first round pick. The thought was, why not take you guys along for the journey? We’ve never really done this before, so I hope you liked it.
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Discovering Devin

I hope the team extends him early rather than waiting for the eventual tag and/or trade.

He's gets it.

I love it.

I dont think this can be said at this moment but man what a corner he has turned into..if he has another amazing year next year..hes going to be a HUGE star in this league

I love it.

He'll have to collect at least a few rings to surpass Ty Law. so I hope he does manage that. McCourty's future is looking bright that's for sure. But as a wise man once said, "Let's not put him in Canton yet." :D

That's a great link, thanks. Read that earlier in the season but definitely worth mentioning again for those who haven't seen it.

BTW, below is what Devin had to say about being named to the Pro Bowl. Look at the first question, and how he answers it. Spoken like a true Patriot.

Q: Does it feel good to be recognized for making plays back there in the secondary as a group with two of you making the Pro Bowl?

DM: I don't think it's as important that we were selected for the Pro Bowl, but I think we are happy about the progress we've made looking back at Week 1 and Week 2 and those early weeks in the season. We felt like we made a lot of mistakes that we knew better about and then being able to see our performance just get better and better is really exciting.

Q: How important is the role that the coaching staff plays?

DM: They play an incredible role in my part of this team because I'm a rookie. Coming into this situation I didn't know much about being out there playing in the NFL. Just all of the meetings and extra film watching and meetings with the coaches – that's the only reason I am still on the field making plays.

Q: What is your approach and the team's approach to this Sunday's game?

DM: We're competing. I think each week when we get ready for a game, our focus is to get better, learn about our opponent and then go out there and compete on Sunday.

Q: You still have a long way to go, but did this year go as well as you could have imagined it going?

DM: I really didn't imagine it. I'm not really into trying to make out your whole season before it has even started. I've kind of just taken it one week at a time, each practice at a time. [I'm] just trying to get better.

Q: Have you gotten a lot of reaction in the past 24 hours from friends and family congratulating you?

DM: Yeah, definitely. As soon as it came out a lot of friends and family sent text messages and phone calls. A lot of people that know me are just as excited as I am. PATRIOTS

Read more at: Official New England Patriots - Media Center - Patriots Video

There isn't really much insightful to be honest. But just the way he is conducting himself off the field throughout his rookie season has been amazing. Many have discussed and compared him to Revis's rookie season in terms of performance, and the numbers and impact are comparable. Obviously he has a long way to go over the next few years to continue to improve to that level.

But we shouldn't overlook his conduct off the field either. Revis held out his rookie season for a bigger contract, which he would then hold out from a few years later on. In his interviews, it's always about him, unless he wants to talk trash about another competitor. Meanwhile, McCourty got into training camp on time, has dealt with the media like a vet, and been a team player since day 1.

We're quick to recognize his massive contributions on the field, but I continue to become more and more impressed with him off the field.

I found this item when trying to find pre-season predictions:

2010 NFL draft: New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick went sound, not sexy, as usual - ESPN Boston

It's Reiss's take on the McCourty pick the day after the selection. Kudos to Reiss for understanding it's not always about the sizzle:

The Patriots felt so strongly about McCourty that coach Bill Belichick said he was ready to select him with the 22nd pick. Belichick got him at 27 instead, while picking up a third-round draft choice (90th overall) and improving the team's fourth-round pick by six spots.

That added 90th pick was Taylor Price; the pick with the improved fourth-round spot was Aaron Hernandez.

That added 90th pick was Taylor Price; the pick with the improved fourth-round spot was Aaron Hernandez.

That's just not fair to the rest of the league :rofl:

Also, the Herald took a look back on draft night when McCourty was selected and the reaction from Vince Wilfork's charity draft party:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive A look back at the draft day reaction to Patriots CB Devin McCourtyIn her story that ran on April 23, Karen hung out at Vince Wilfork’s charity event that night to see how the fans would treat the pick.

Now that McCourty looks like a big hit, it’s educational to look back at what she wrote when it was announced:

First, there was silence. The place, which packed in roughly 500-to-600 for Wilfork’s event, was numb.

Then, one fan shouted, ”Who’s that?”

The expectation was for the Pats to select linebacker Sergio Kindle, who was still on the board, or defensive lineman Jared Odrick, who was also there. They were on many mock drafts. Jerry Hughes name also had some recognition. He would also help with the pass rush, the Pat’s top need.

Then a second shouted, ”Why did they draft a cornerback?”

Soon after, those remaining either in the bowling alley, or at the bar, began to file out.

Last edited:
Another week, another great performance from our DROY candidate.

McCourty had a huge interception to start the game, handing the ball to the offense on the Miami side of the field. He finished with 1 INT, 2 passes defensed, and 1 tackle. He did give up one 3rd-down catch for 17 yards on a crossing pattern, but made a good recovery and tackle. The Dolphins QBs generally avoided throwing to his side after that though.

For the season, McCourty finishes with 82 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 24 (edited) PDs, and 7 INTs.

Some like to compare his rookie numbers to Darrelle Revis. I think McCourty has a long way to go before we can make that comparison, but for the hell of it, here are Revis's rookie numbers: 87 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 17 PDs, and 3 INTs.

McCourty's 7 INTs are second in Patriots history for a rookie, and most amongst rookies this season.

Last edited:
Another week, another great performance from our DROY candidate.

McCourty had a huge interception to start the game, handing the ball to the offense on the Miami side of the field. He finished with 1 INT, 2 passes defensed, and 1 tackle. He did give up one 3rd-down catch for 17 yards on a crossing pattern, but made a good recovery and tackle. The Dolphins QBs generally avoided throwing to his side after that though.

For the season, McCourty finishes with 82 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 17 PDs, and 7 INTs.

Some like to compare his rookie numbers to Darrelle Revis. I think McCourty has a long way to go before we can make that comparison, but for the hell of it, here are Revis's rookie numbers: 87 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 17 PDs, and 3 INTs.

McCourty's 7 INTs are second in Patriots history for a rookie, and most amongst rookies this season.

I think those numbers are pretty comparable. In fact McCourty doubles up on Revis in the INT category. Man who would have thought the kid would be this good, this fast? I thought he was a good one. But I didn't expect the maturation process to happen so quickly!

McCourty is a top 3 CB in the NFL right now. Anyone disagree?

I think those numbers are pretty comparable. In fact McCourty doubles up on Revis in the INT category. Man who would have thought the kid would be this good, this fast? I thought he was a good one. But I didn't expect the maturation process to happen so quickly!

Heck of a rookie season. And one big difference is Revis didn't get a chance to play in the play-offs, while McCourty does :D

McCourty is a top 3 CB in the NFL right now. Anyone disagree?

Top 5 for sure. 3 is pretty lofty company. I don't know who you bump out of Nnamdi, Darrelle, and Tramont Williams/Charles Woodson. But there's still time to make the argument, especially with a few big play-off games.

For the season, McCourty finishes with 82 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 17 PDs, and 7 INTs.
McCourty actually has 24PD's according to NFL.com here.

Even more impressive when you think about it. What a draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST