PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Devin McCourty Fan Club Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCourty actually has 24PD's according to NFL.com here.

Even more impressive when you think about it. What a draft pick.

Strange, his profile shows 17.

I'm more than happy to revise my original number to 24 though :D

Was just looking at his contract too. 5 years, total of $10 million, with an additional $3.2 million in escalators making the max value $13.2 million. What a deal.

McCourty is a top 3 CB in the NFL right now. Anyone disagree?

Yep I do.

Charles Woodson

Derrel revis

Nnamdi asomogua

Winfield, Asante samule, Cortland finnigan

Not saying mccourty isn't great just saying give the other cb's some respect too

Strange, his profile shows 17.

I'm more than happy to revise my original number to 24 though :D

Was just looking at his contract too. 5 years, total of $10 million, with an additional $3.2 million in escalators making the max value $13.2 million. What a deal.
I fell for that a few weeks ago too convertedpatsfan. McCourty's season has been outrageous (so has Joe Haden's for a rookie).

Devin McCourty has performed to a top 5 cornerback level in his rookie season. He's set the bar high for the rest of his career now. After observing the improvement on a weekly basis, I'm confident in saying we may just have found our beast total corner.

Yep I do.

Charles Woodson

Derrel revis

Nnamdi asomogua

Winfield, Asante samule, Cortland finnigan

Not saying mccourty isn't great just saying give the other cb's some respect too

Sorry, but Charles Woodson no longer belongs on that list, and anyone who says he does is still stuck in last year. The guy is still good, but he's basically a nickel corner for Green Bay this year, and he's been inconsistent at that.

I can't take Revis away because the man is just dominant. Nnamdi hasn't really done it statistically this year, but I'm sure many are going to say that's because teams are staying away from him. Asante makes plays on the ball when he's on the field but oft-injured. The man still won't tackle to save his own life. That makes him an incomplete corner.

I'll take McCourty in the top three. He tackles better than pretty much anyone on the list except for Woodson (I'll still give him that). He covers well in man and zone. He's smart, has speed and quickness, and is just always around the ball. I don't know the actual stat, but I'm willing to say he's among the leaders among corners in tackles behind the LOS. Oh, and he plays ST to boot. The guy is just a complete corner and belongs in the top three.

Last edited:
i gotta get a McCourty jersey ASAP :rocker:

His technique is just too good for a rookie CB. His coverage on that deep pass today was just :singing:

What will this kid be in a couple of years? :eek:

Sorry, but Charles Woodson no longer belongs on that list, and anyone who says he does is still stuck in last year. The guy is still good, but he's basically a nickel corner for Green Bay this year, and he's been inconsistent at that.

I can't take Revis away because the man is just dominant. Nnamdi hasn't really done it statistically this year, but I'm sure many are going to say that's because teams are staying away from him. Asante makes plays on the ball when he's on the field but oft-injured. The man still won't tackle to save his own life. That makes him an incomplete corner.

I'll take McCourty in the top three. He tackles better than pretty much anyone on the list except for Woodson (I'll still give him that). He covers well in man and zone. He's smart, has speed and quickness, and is just always around the ball. I don't know the actual stat, but I'm willing to say he's among the leaders among corners in tackles behind the LOS. Oh, and he plays ST to boot. The guy is just a complete corner and belongs in the top three.

Teams do stay away from Nhamdi.

I wouldn't be opposed to having him above every CB not named Asomugha or Revis. It's arguable, but darn impressive either way. Samuel doesn't even belong in this discussion. The only thing he's good for is making plays, and McCourty was just as impressive as him in that regard. McCourty is light years better against the run and at preventing YAC. Remember Woodson's DPOY season last year? That's the type of CB that McCourty has been toward the end of this season and will be next season.

I'd take him too but younger and costs 2 mil a year.

But Woodson is coming off a year where he was the best defensive player in the NFL

I left out champ baily... Still a dominant corner

Also ronde barber has been great for Tampa all year

This isn't degrading mccourty all I am saying is there is a lot of talent in the league and I love our guys as much as the next pats fan but I am not as quick as some to annoint a rookie cb as top 3 in the NFL whe there are guys like, Woodson (you see the impact he had against us?) rev is, nnamdi, as ante (hate all you want the guys a numerous pro bowl corner) champ baily and Winfield who are very good also.

I'd take him too but younger and costs 2 mil a year.

But Woodson is coming off a year where he was the best defensive player in the NFL

I left out champ baily... Still a dominant corner

Also ronde barber has been great for Tampa all year

This isn't degrading mccourty all I am saying is there is a lot of talent in the league and I love our guys as much as the next pats fan but I am not as quick as some to annoint a rookie cb as top 3 in the NFL whe there are guys like, Woodson (you see the impact he had against us?) rev is, nnamdi, as ante (hate all you want the guys a numerous pro bowl corner) champ baily and Winfield who are very good also.

I totally agree with you. Even if McCourty was a top 20 CB that is amazing value for a rookie. Top 3 is probably a little over the top and I'm not trying to hate on him just being realistic.

From CHFF:

4. It’s going to be an interesting decision between Detroit’s Ndamukong Suh and New England’s Devin McCourty as Defensive Rookie of the Year. It may be that Suh has this category all locked up with 10 sacks and a huge national profile. But McCourty has been pretty incredible over the season’s second half.

McCourty has seven interceptions, all in the last 11 weeks, and has been the No. 1 cornerback all year for a 14-2 team that has improved each week.

New England was one of the worst teams in Defensive Passer Rating for the first half of the year. They ranked 27th in DPR as recently as Week 11 (94.7). They skyrocketed up the list over the last six week and end the year at 81.2 in Defensive Passer Rating, with a league-high 25 INT, thanks in large part to McCourty’s strong play

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Hoo-RAH! 10 things we learned in Week 17

Ever since the Lions game, there were several posts about McCourty for DROY over Suh. I felt Suh was going to win it because he had done so much early on. While McCourty was gaining momentum among voters, it seemed too late.

But he's continued to get better and better, and now I wonder if he has a shot. I think he's just as deserving as Suh, who has faded a bit. And McCourty was a major part of this defense's turn-around. He has swung the momentum in many games with big plays. I think he's got a shot at it.

Heck of a rookie season. And one big difference is Revis didn't get a chance to play in the play-offs, while McCourty does :D

Top 5 for sure. 3 is pretty lofty company. I don't know who you bump out of Nnamdi, Darrelle, and Tramont Williams/Charles Woodson. But there's still time to make the argument, especially with a few big play-off games.

True, I'll put him at #4 behind Nnamdi, Woodson, and Revis.

If we just forget that he's a rookie and also forget about the previous success of other corners and only focus on 2010, I think McCourty can easily be considered top 3. Physical, can tackle, outstanding coverage. As I said above though, I'll give him the #4 spot.

If we just forget that he's a rookie and also forget about the previous success of other corners and only focus on 2010, I think McCourty can easily be considered top 3. Physical, can tackle, outstanding coverage. As I said above though, I'll give him the #4 spot.

i guess we'll just have to disagree about it.

McCourty is a star and a worthy pro bowler and i have all the hope that he becomes the best in the NFL. And the fact we are even arguing about him being top 3... 5...10 is enough to show what a season he has had... but kyle wilson... he bench presses so much.... who cares if he can push you hard is he can't cover anyone

i guess we'll just have to disagree about it.

McCourty is a star and a worthy pro bowler and i have all the hope that he becomes the best in the NFL. And the fact we are even arguing about him being top 3... 5...10 is enough to show what a season he has had... but kyle wilson... he bench presses so much.... who cares if he can push you hard is he can't cover anyone
Yeah, Wilson did have a monstrous 25 reps for a CB.

That's the point I was trying to make. They're making a case for body of work and reputation, whereas I was making a case for strictly this season. I decided I wasn't going to get into a back-and-forth, especially after the insinuation that I was being a homer of some sort, so I just didn't respond.

Last edited:
That's the point I was trying to make. They're making a case for body of work and reputation, whereas I was making a case for strictly this season. I decided I wasn't going to get into a back-and-forth, especially after the insinuation that I was being a homer of some sort, so I just didn't respond.

Exactly. People think that because he's a rookie, you can't consider him "The best" or among "The best". I don't care what Darelle Revis did last year or how great of a career Charles Woodson has had. Devin McCourty is having one of the best seasons for a CB in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST