PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Day Two Patriots Pre-Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I originally put this in at the end of the day one thread, but it really belongs here. This is a look at some of the players available Friday and who's picking when. Pats start the day out with the 12th, 15th, and 21st pick of the day.

QB: Clausen, McCoy
RB: Gerhart, McCluster, McKnight, Dwyer
TE: Gronkowski, ****erson, McCoy, Pitta, ****son, Hernandez, Graham
WR: Tate, Benn, Decker, LaFell, Williams, Briscoe, Shipley
OT: Saffold, Brown, Campbell, Ducasse, Jerry, Veldheer, Beadles
G/C: Asamoah

DL: Cody, Wooten, Price, Houston, Joseph
DE/OLB: Kindle, Griffen, Misi, Sapp, Dunlap, Carrington
LB: Washington, Lee, Bowman, Spikes
S: Mays, Allen, Burnett
CB: Murphy, Cook, Franks

Obviously the Pats aren't going to draft a QB here but it's worth noting, as picks such as those by other teams move the Pats closer to a player that they may want to grab.

Draft Order:
2.33 - Rams
2.34 - Vikings
2.35 - Bucs
2.36 - Chiefs
2.37 - Eagles
2.38 - Browns
2.39 - Raiders
2.40 - Chargers
2.41 - Bills
2.42 - Bucs
2.43 - Ravens
2.44 - PATS
2.45 - Broncos
2.46 - Giants
2.47 - PATS
2.48 - Panthers
2.49 - 49ers
2.50 - Chiefs
2.51 - Texans
2.52 - Steelers
2.53 - PATS
2.54 - Bengals
2.55 - Eagles
2.56 - Packers
2.57 - Bengals
2.58 - Cardinals
2.59 - Cowboys
2.60 - Seahawks
2.61 - Jets
2.62 - Vikings
2.63 - Colts
2.64 - Saints

3.90 - Pats
4.113 - Pats

In addition to Clausen, and possibly McCoy, the NFLN commentators (Lombardi and Casserley) are expecting the 3 remaining OT who were potential first rounders to go early, as in the first ten picks, in the second.

DE
OLB
ILB
OG
TE
P (?, as I haven't seen the Aussie)

Other than a possible flip-flop at the top, that's pretty much the order of need now that the CB has been taken.

Second and third round imo should be used to upgrade the front 7 on defense and some fire power for Brady, maybe even a punter.

If he takes a punter in the third he will deserve half the wrath you and others have been spewing tonight...

DE
OLB
ILB
OG
TE

Other than a possible flip-flop at the top, that's pretty much the order of need now that the CB has been taken.

How bout a WR?

DE
OLB
ILB
OG
TE

You have TE way too low.

And we may turn out to have enough young OGs already. ILBs as well.

But good for you not having WR on the list.

DE - Probably Griffen if he falls to 44

I am hoping Dunlap is there as well

Brian Price and Golden Tate and Ben Tate are the guys I really like in this round as well

DE
OLB
ILB
OG
TE

I'd still like to see them take a WR although Roberts or White would be my preferences in the 3rd or 4th. Curren reported today that Brady is very high on Tate (the one we already have...). And a TE with some upside...I like Moeaki because he can block and catch. But if his durability is a concern, Pitta is there. I'm really hoping they get Misi. I think the ILB was drafted last year. I would love Asamoah but we didn't trade back for my extra picks...

TE is a need slot -- fill it.
OLB is a need slot, assuming Thomas is gone -- fill it.
RDE is a need, but will be tough to fill. Try to fill it.
BJE is expendable -- take a flyer on an RB.
We're full up w/ WRs -- don't bother.

By the way, BB said there were other values close to McCourty on the board when he picked. I wouldn't be shocked if he traded up to get one of them. I imagine the essence of the deal would be two 2nds for a 2nd and 3rd.

Damn I am hung over, McCourty was what I call a "4 beer pick". I have no idea what to expect at this point, I never know, and my ability to assess players is well, what you would expect from a high school English teacher. I don't want to be right but I see......

a 2nd rounder traded for G. Olsen TE
a 3rd rounder traded for A. Haynesworth DL OR for Kirk Morrison

Pats switching to a base 4-3

drafting OLB & WR with the other 2 2's

I am always way off, and let's face it maybe not hung over, maybe a wee bit drunk still. Just trying to make sense of it all. BB said something in the press conference that struck me funny, paraphrasing [we will improve again tomorrow how ever that may happen] or something like that.

Who needs a drink?

Kindle has medical issues that include narcolepsy which is being treated with medication and ADD which is also being treated with medication... That may be why he fell. And it may be why he falls a ways farther or Bill passes on him.
The Herald had this nugget today:
Why did Kindle fall?

Allow me to point you to an article written by respected Longhorns beat reporter Chip Brown of the UT Rivals.com site. It reports on what he terms “a potential bombshell brewing” regarding the knee injury Kindle played with in 2009.

“There are a handful of teams who have graded Kindle as a ’serious’ medical risk because of his knee, which one team said looks like it could require Kindle to have microfracture surgery,” Brown wrote in the article.
So there's that too.

By the way, BB said there were other values close to McCourty on the board when he picked. I wouldn't be shocked if he traded up to get one of them. I imagine the essence of the deal would be two 2nds for a 2nd and 3rd.

I agree. The Pats have 12 picks left and they won't use them all. They will package to move up at some point and it could be early tonight.

Areas of need appear to be DE, OLB, WR, TE, OL, RB. NE current picks are 44, 47, 53, 90. They will have several additional picks on Saturday beginning at 114. There are still quite a few OLB and DE candidates and TE's and WR's and OLmen and RB's available.

13. Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
30. Rodger Saffold OT Indiana
32. Sergio Kindle OLB Texas
33. Taylor Mays S Southern Cal
34. Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona
36. Brian Price DT UCLA
38. Sean Lee MLB Penn State
39. Nate Allen S S. Florida
40. Koa Misi DE Utah
41. Golden Tate WR Notre Dame
42. Daryl Washington OLB TCU
43. Chris Cook CB Virginia
44. Charles Brown OT Southern Cal
45. Everson Griffen DE Southern Cal
46. Terrence Cody NT Alabama
47. Damian Williams WR Southern Cal
48. Tony Moeaki TE Iowa
49. Ben Tate HB Auburn
50. Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State
51. Regus Benn WR Illinois
52. Colt McCoy QB Texas
53. Aaron Hernandez TE Florida
54. Jonathan Asamoah G Illinois
55. Dexter McCluster WR Mississippi
56. Linval Joseph NT E.Carolina
57. Dominique Franks CB Oklahoma
58. Corey Wootton DE Northwestern
59. Dennis Pitta TE BYU
60. Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
61. Jerome Murphy CB S.Florida
62. Zane Beadles G Utah
63. Thaddeus Gibson DE Ohio State
64. Javier Arenas CB Alabama
65. Toby Gerhart HB Stanford
66. Vladimir Ducasse OT UMass
68. Eric Decker WR Minnesota
69. Jimmy Graham TE Miami-F
70. Lamarr Houston DT Texas
71. Morgan Burnett S Ga. Tech
72. Corey Peters DT Kentucky
73. Brandon LaFell WR LSU
74. Chad Jones S LSU
75. Taylor Price WR Ohio
76. Montario Hardesty HB Tennessee
77. Brandon Spikes MLB Florida
78. Emmanuel Sanders WR SMU
79. Ricky Sapp OLB Clemson
80. Al Woods DT LSU
81. Andre Roberts WR Citadel
82. Aaron Spievey CB Iowa
83. Jordan Shipley WR Texas
84. Jason Worilds DE Virginia Tech
85. Andrew Quarless TE Penn State
86. Alex Carrington DE Arkansas St.
87. Myron Lewis CB Vanderbilt
88. D'Anthony Smith DT La.Tech
89. Major Wright S Florida
90. Joe McKnight HB Southern Cal
91. Torrell Troup NT Central Fla.
92. Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
93. Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinnati
94. Jermaine Cunningham DE Florida
95. Selvish Capers OT W.Virginia
96. Brandon Ghee CB Wake Forest
97. T.J. Ward S Oregon
98. Ed ****son TE Oregon
99. Eric Norwood OLB S. Carolina
100. Dorin ****erson

I bolded those I think NE would strongly consider. For obvious reasons, I'm omitting all CBs and Safeties this early with the thought the roster looks set in the secondary -- and there are other positions to start addressing.

At DE, look for Peters and Woods as full-sized DTs who can play outside, w/ Carrington as a slighter option. Because we passed on Odrick, these three were always options.

At OLB/DE, we have Misi, Sapp, and Wootten.

At TE, Gronko and Pitta are tops, w/ the oft-injured Moeaki in the mix.

At WR, Gilyard, Decker, Sanders, Roberts and McCluster, are all on my list, w/ several others available.

At OG, Asamoah is a serious Pats prospect.

At RB, Hardesty appears to be a board favorite, although I'll pass on the position this early.

Lastly, if NE does draft McCluster, don't be surprised if they still select another WR, as McCluster would be selected for his versatility, and we seriously need a classic NFL-ready type WR -- which DM is not.

If the Pats come away with Kindle somehow tomorrow, Ill call it a win.

Never going to happen. If they liked him that much to trade up in the 2nd round, they would have taken him in the last 1st round due to the glaring need at OLB. There is something about him that they don't like and they are looking at other pass rushers down the board. They are in "lust" with some other guy that they believe could help the pass rush.

Kindle has Narcolepsy,that is what brought him down...more than his injury issues

Last edited:
OK day One was a total bust (except for picking up pick #90) on to the dissapointment that will be day two...

Who I think that should take...

Ricky Sapp, OLB Clemson
Taylor Mays, OLB USC (that's right, move him to OLB)
Carlos Dunlap, DE Florida
Corey Wooten, DE Northwestern
Jimmy Graham, TE Miami

Guarenteed, they take none of them.

There are reports that Kindle also has ADD

Look to me like Kindle could drop to the 3rd

OK day One was a total bust (except for picking up pick #90) on to the dissapointment that will be day two...

Who I think that should take...

Ricky Sapp, OLB Clemson
Taylor Mays, OLB USC (that's right, move him to OLB)
Carlos Dunlap, DE Florida
Corey Wooten, DE Northwestern
Jimmy Graham, TE Miami

Guarenteed, they take none of them.

I really like Sapp and Wooten, think they'd be great value in the 2nd.

But Taylor Mays at OLB? really? I know he's a physical freak but he's like 230... he's too small to play ILB for us.

Kindle has a possible mircofracture of the knee. It's a possible career ender. It has been for most athletes, football and basketball players especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes