PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Brandon Meriweather is a bust thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has to be a joke. How can you label anyone a bust six games into their career? Personally, I think Pees and Belichick made a mistake with him by bouncing him around if they wanted any type of significant impact this year. The Pats' defense is hard enough to learn as a rookie, but making him learn responsibilities of multiple positions on top of it is tough for even a veteran.

I think Meriweather gets a pass this year unless there are injuries to the starters. We have five or six guys who are seasoned pros in the secondary capable of being quality starters including Samuel, Hobbs, Wilson, Harrison, Sanders, and Gay. No need to rush the guy into a starting position.

Anyone who thought Meriweather was the next Ronnie Lott might be ready to label Meriweather a bust because from what I have seen I don't know if he will ever reach that level. But even then, it is really too early to even say that.

He's playing behind some talented players, like Rodney, Sanders, and Wilson.
The Patriots defense takes time to learn. Especially when he worked at corner in training camp, but more at safety lately.
He's a rookie! Give him time....

I know all this, but he's already well behind where ***ante $amuel and Eugene Wilson were at this point in their careers. This is panning out more like a Tebucky Jones 1st rounder. Could be our Worst First of the Belichick Era. At least it makes me feel better about losing the #32 pick next April.

I really hope that this is tongue in cheek because if its not, this has got to be your worst post ever.

Meriweather is behind Samuel, Wilson, Gay and Sanders. Meriweather is regularly playing on special teams, including the punt return team, kick return team, kick and punt coverages and FG blocking team.

So, if this isn't tongue in cheek, I don't know wtf you expect considering the talent ahead of him.

I really hope that this is tongue in cheek because if its not, this has got to be your worst post ever.

Meriweather is behind Samuel, Wilson, Gay and Sanders. Meriweather is regularly playing on special teams, including the punt return team, kick return team, kick and punt coverages and FG blocking team.

So, if this isn't tongue in cheek, I don't know wtf you expect considering the talent ahead of him.

It's not tongue-in-cheek. Shaka is part of the growing crowd who thinks Maroney's made of glass and unlikely to ever contribute, Seymour's replacement of Green would tip the balance of "chemistry" on D, and now this. I don't know what to say. We've been infiltrated by the lunatic fringe.

There's only one explanation..........He's a witch!

It's not tongue-in-cheek. Shaka is part of the growing crowd who thinks Maroney's made of glass and unlikely to ever contribute, Seymour's replacement of Green would tip the balance of "chemistry" on D, and now this. I don't know what to say. We've been infiltrated by the lunatic fringe.

Comparing Maroney to glass is an insult..................to glass.

Meriweather is going to be a tremendous player fo us. He still has some maturing to do.

He is cut from the same cloth as Rodney and Rodney still does some stupid stuff.

Once he learns the D a little better and tightens up his game and emotions, he'll be a GREAT successor to Rodney.

Last edited:
And people routinely ignore everything I post? Good God.

Will one of you die-hards please note this to yourself and make it resurface in 2-3 years when people consider him amongst the best safeties in the game, barring injury?

He's playing behind some talented players, like Rodney, Sanders, and Wilson.
The Patriots defense takes time to learn. Especially when he worked at corner in training camp, but more at safety lately.
He's a rookie! Give him time....

I know all this, but he's already well behind where ***ante $amuel and Eugene Wilson were at this point in their careers. This is panning out more like a Tebucky Jones 1st rounder. Could be our Worst First of the Belichick Era. At least it makes me feel better about losing the #32 pick next April.

Give me a break.

Give you a brick. :bricks:

Where is "The official ShakaDave is paranoid" thread?

Comparing Maroney to glass is an insult..................to glass.

Meriweather is going to be a tremendous player fo us. He still has some maturing to do.

He is cut from the same cloth as Rodney and Rodney still does some stupid stuff.

Once he learns the D a little better and tightens up his game and emotions, he'll be a GREAT successor to Rodney.

Good God. I'm a fan of Meriweather and of patience, but I find it the height of ludicrous to judge Maroney so harshly and so quickly while at the same time pronouncing definitively the idea that Meriweather is going to be "a tremendous player for us."

Is there ANYTHING you don't have a kneejerk reaction to?

Good God. I'm a fan of Meriweather and of patience, but I find it the height of ludicrous to judge Maroney so harshly and so quickly while at the same time pronouncing definitively the idea that Meriweather is going to be "a tremendous player for us."

Is there ANYTHING you don't have a kneejerk reaction to?

Sox. If Maroney was forced to carry the ball 25 - 30 times per game for only 10 consecutive games do you think he could do it?

Warren and Wilfork both played very sparingly in their first years, too, and Seymour wasn't even an every-down starter. Wilson is the exception (born out of frantic necessity following Antwan Harris getting torched in that 31-0 romp), not the rule, to Patriots rookies, where most do not start until their second year, when they often shine.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do. Has he done it yet? No. Will he be asked to? Looking at BB's history, it's very unlikely. So my answer to your little hypothetical, while slimey and disingenuous and useless, is yeah, I think he could.

He has had some durability issues but from EVERYTHING we've read and EVERYTHING we've heard Belichick say, Maroney COULD'VE played in the last 3 games, but the Pats chose to be careful with him because that was a luxury they could afford.

We're not looking at a little scatback here. He's not a battering ram or anything, but he's closer to battering ram than scatback. He's a good, tough, physical player who is fast and dynamic. I'm willing to give him a chance. If you want to throw him under the bus - and you've made it plain that you do - that's fine. But I'm not willing to. I'm willing to be patient.

It's called being a grownup and having perspective. Try it sometime, Captain Kneejerk.

My apologies for succumbing to danny's hijacking YET ANOTHER thread. I'd almost forgotten that this is supposed to be about MERIWEATHER.

I think Brandon looks fine in limited action so far. I think 6 weeks is an INSANELY small sample-size. And I think Shaka, danny and whoever else taint this board with their snapshot analysis of larger issues that require a longer view than the ones they insist on taking.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do. Has he done it yet? No. Will he be asked to? Looking at BB's history, it's very unlikely. So my answer to your little hypothetical, while slimey and disingenuous and useless, is yeah, I think he could.

He has had some durability issues but from EVERYTHING we've read and EVERYTHING we've heard Belichick say, Maroney COULD'VE played in the last 3 games, but the Pats chose to be careful with him because that was a luxury they could afford.

We're not looking at a little scatback here. He's not a battering ram or anything, but he's closer to battering ram than scatback. He's a good, tough, physical player who is fast and dynamic. I'm willing to give him a chance. If you want to throw him under the bus - and you've made it plain that you do - that's fine. But I'm not willing to. I'm willing to be patient.

It's called being a grownup and having perspective. Try it sometime, Captain Kneejerk.

Ok I tried to ask you a serious question and you start insulting me. You wonder why I post like I do. I should know better then to converse with the captain of the homer brigade.

For the record I hope MAroney proves me wrong, and runs like he did in the cinci game last year.

Ok I tried to ask you a serious question and you start insulting me. You wonder why I post like I do. I should know better then to converse with the captain of the homer brigade.

For the record I hope MAroney proves me wrong, and runs like he did in the cinci game last year.

I have no interest in being a Homer. I have plenty of criticism for the team where it is warranted. I think you're being outrageously impatient when it comes to Maroney, and I think you're disingenuous in trying to play both sides.

Now...LET'S TALK ABOUT MERIWEATHER. It's been 6 games. He's shown up some. I think he could be good, but it's far too early to tell, either way.

I'm going to be politically incorrect.

I'm not declaring him a bust, but Meriweather is on the fast track to becoming one.

There's some holes in some of the arguments I'm hearing.

"This, that, and so-and-so did nothing in their rookie years."

Wilson was starting at FS in 2003. Asante played in dime and nickel packages that same year. Warren and Wilfork are DLs and rookie DLs have a longer adjustment period than DBs. That said, Warren and Wilfork played meaningful minutes with the regular D. They weren't as good as they are now, but they weren't clueless either. Sanders was seeing quality time with the regular D in his rookie year before getting injured in 2005. Watson sucked when he was asked to carry too much of the burden. Yet, even Watson showed flashes in his rookie season before getting hurt, and he joined the team after a lengthy holdout.

So far, Meriweather hasn't appeared in any injury reports, hasn't shown any flashes of ability, hasn't had more than cameos with the regular D, and came to camp on time.

"Meriweather is playing behind a talented group."

Oh really? Rashod Baker is talented, who would have guessed? Wilson has missed games (currently injured), RH has been suspended, and Meriweather's PT is decreasing. According to Reiss, Meriweather played only one snap. The Pats rather have two SS-types, plus Baker rather than play their #1 pick in a week 9 game against the speedy Colts. But hey, Meriweather needs time.

Every first round DB has started and played significant time with the regular D. Not Meriweather. But hey, how dare I judge!

There are only two mid to high picks that made a poor 1st impression: Guss Scott and Dexter Reid. Foulweather makes strike #3.

Here's my theory:

Seattle screwed us by eeking out Ws, which push the pick to 24. The team knew it was a strong draft for DBs and sat on their hands expecting a quality DB to fall to them. When the run on DBs hit the top 20, the Pats took what they felt as the best of the rest in a weak remaining draft.

At the time, Asante was promising to hold out 'til week 10, Wilson was coming off two years of injuries, and both he and Gay were on the final year of their deals. The Pats were desperate for young secondary talent.

Hopefully, SF will continue to stink and we can get South FLA's Michael Jenkins. I doubt the team will count on Meriweather to fill the void if Wilson leaves or RH gets hurt. Since Wilson's market value is low right now, I like the team's chances of re-signing him.

I'm not declaring him a bust, but Meriweather is on the fast track to becoming one.

Wilson was starting at FS in 2003. Asante played in dime and nickel packages that same year. Warren and Wilfork are DLs and rookie DLs have a longer adjustment period than DBs. That said, Warren and Wilfork played meaningful minutes with the regular D. They weren't as good as they are now, but they weren't clueless either. Sanders was seeing quality time with the regular D in his rookie year before getting injured in 2005. Watson sucked when he was asked to carry too much of the burden. Yet, even Watson showed flashes in his rookie season before getting hurt, and he joined the team after a lengthy holdout.

So far, Meriweather hasn't appeared in any injury reports, hasn't shown any flashes of ability, hasn't had more than cameos with the regular D, and came to camp on time.

Oh really? Rashod Baker is talented, who would have guessed? Wilson has missed games (currently injured), RH has been suspended, and Meriweather's PT is decreasing. According to Reiss, Meriweather played only one snap. The Pats rather have two SS-types, plus Baker rather than play their #1 pick in a week 9 game against the speedy Colts. But hey, Meriweather needs time.

Every first round DB has started and played significant time with the regular D. Not Meriweather. But hey, how dare I judge!

There are only two mid to high picks that made a poor 1st impression: Guss Scott and Dexter Reid. Foulweather makes strike #3.

Here's my theory:

Seattle screwed us by eeking out Ws, which push the pick to 24. The team knew it was a strong draft for DBs and sat on their hands expecting a quality DB to fall to them. When the run on DBs hit the top 20, the Pats took what they felt as the best of the rest in a weak remaining draft.

At the time, Asante was promising to hold out 'til week 10, Wilson was coming off two years of injuries, and both he and Gay were on the final year of their deals. The Pats were desperate for young secondary talent.

Hopefully, SF will continue to stink and we can get South FLA's Michael Jenkins. I doubt the team will count on Meriweather to fill the void if Wilson leaves or RH gets hurt. Since Wilson's market value is low right now, I like the team's chances of re-signing him.

Wow! There must be something in the water today. People have simply lost their minds.

Wow! There must be something in the water today. People have simply lost their minds.

Welcome To The Site

thats how many people are. just ignore it..im learning before i flip out and go nuts

Here's my theory:

This is the second time you have talked about the adjustment periods with no evidence beyond anecdotal, and largely irrelevent, observations about Wilson and Samuel. There is no proof to that statement. Either come with something stronger or stop bringing it up.

Warren played next to nothing for the first portion of the year and was only forced into the lineup when Washington got hurt. He went back to being a role guy when Big Ted returned. Wilfork *clearly* had more opportunity with only a guy who had never played 3-4 NT ahead of him.

Are you really going to point to 2005 as evidence of Sanders' abilities? Meriweather would be starting too under those circumstances.

Maybe Baker is better than you think? Again, BOR was high on him at the end of last year. Also, it seems pretty clear that NE relied solely on guys with more experience in the system against Indy. I don't think it is a coincidence that AD also barely played in that game.

Your comments about decreasing playing time and comparisons to other DBs don't make the point that you are trying to make. Why wouldn't Harrison's return impact Meriweather's playing time? Couldn't Meriweather's lower minutes played help prove that he has guys in front of him?

I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying that you are using a lot of circumstantial, anecdotal and completely incorrect observations to make your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft