PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Brandon Meriweather is a bust thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez, were people saying the same things about Brady after his first year? he didnt do squat, either. Seems like a luxury to not be forced to play rookies in big, must-win games against undefeated teams. If not playing Merriweather was part of the Colts gameplan because he's a green, know-nothing rookie, then let me be the first to praise the coaches. Good call. Keep this kid's nose in a playbook and in the film room, and we'll see what he can do when he's called on.

To assume this kid is a bust in his first year is like the Colts complaining about the calls that go against them in a game, stupid

Meriweather has looked okay to me. In the beginning of the year he was on the field in dime situations a lot, and he's on at least a couple of the coverage teams now. Look, we know the guy is a great athlete and we've seen him in preseason make some nice, sure tackles. Not everyone can be Asante or Wilson and just come into the league and do well as a DB. It's early to freak out.

The Pats may also have overplayed their hand with this kid by trying to make him into a corner early in camp. Having to go back to being a safety may have slowed him down. We have to take that into consideration.

For my part I still think Chad Jackson is going to be a good player. Not sure about Maroney. But looking back, rookies take different amounts of time to pan out. Wilfork struggled at first, as did Warren. Watson was hurt and then took a while to be productive. Graham never really blossomed but did eventually become a productive player -- and that took a while.

I do agree that it's too bad that Brandon didn't come in and just blow everyone away. The one thing that's holding the Pats back is the lack of an uber-fast, punishing, playmaking DB in the backfield. Excepting Asante, all of our guys back there are just serviceable, and Asante's value is limited to a guy who breaks on the ball well -- he doesn't light guys up in the backfield or fill the alley well or erase big receivers in the end zone. It'd be nice to have someone like that back there, someone like Kerry Rhodes or Ed Reed who causes a few extra turnovers a year with big hits.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about this thread until it was (unwisely?) unburied yesterday, so let me face the music....

This thread got me more negative comments than any other, so I conclude I'm probably off base. I shouldn't have given it such a provocative title. A better title would have been What's Your Guess On Whether Meriweather Will Become Good? or something. I should only have raised the possibility --- as Brady-to-Branch did better than I could --- that Meriweather could be heading in the bust direction.

He could also turn out to be good. A bust and a good-by-Year-3 player can look an awful lot alike in Year 1.

Patsox23, of the options you present, I was probably most guilty of stirring up crap. I meant only to start a debate; I HAVE learned from this thread, which is good. DaBruinz, I'll try to get back to maintaining the usual level of my posts (for better or worse!)

I am hazy on the context of Wilson's and $amuel's rookie years, being at that time still in transition from lifelong fan to obsessed fan. I just thought that if a 4th rounder and 2nd rounder could play so much DB as rookies (not to mention Hobbs), a 1st rounder could do even better. I got my hopes too high for Year 1 contributions from Meriweather. I'm all for the idea of meeting back here in 2-3 years when we know.

Another issue: I hear the clock ticking on rookies more than most. The whole beauty of a first-round pick is getting the cheap slave labor for 5 years or so. By the second contract, you're basically stuck paying market price, but if he can contribute early in the rookie contract, you (the employer) make out. That's why it's been frustrating to see Watson and Maroney's early years marred by injury. By the time they're really good, we'll get only a couple years of great service at bargain prices.

I think some of my points were not addressed. Who IS the Worst First of the BB Era, if you had to name one? Then if you had to guess, where will Meriweather rank compared to that player?

Brady Quinn's name came up. I do consider him overrated.

Was that ME being called a witch? I had a good laugh about that.

Obviously it's too early to know about Meriweather for sure. But it HAS now been NINE WEEKS....;)

Now, I want you all to go out there, and let this thread sink to Page 46.

Last edited:
He's playing behind some talented players, like Rodney, Sanders, and Wilson.
The Patriots defense takes time to learn. Especially when he worked at corner in training camp, but more at safety lately.
He's a rookie! Give him time....

I know all this, but he's already well behind where ***ante $amuel and Eugene Wilson were at this point in their careers. This is panning out more like a Tebucky Jones 1st rounder. Could be our Worst First of the Belichick Era. At least it makes me feel better about losing the #32 pick next April.

Put a sock in it.

Do read post #45.

Whatever. I disliked the thread and didn't want to read it, so that was my honest opinion. No big deal.

I just think judgments need to be based on something not on nothing.

Thread's from early October? Don't take this the wrong way, but that makes it even sillier.

I'm smiling when I say that.:)

Last edited:
Whatever. I disliked the thread and didn't want to read it, so that was my honest opinion. No big deal.

Unless he's had a career ending injury, I have to agree with RayClay on the thread title. You're evaluating a guy after 1/2 season of more spec. team work than secondary work?!?!?!?!

Are you guys on crack? Why does this thread exist?

PFnV

I had forgotten about this thread until it was (unwisely?) unburied yesterday, so let me face the music....

This thread got me more negative comments than any other, so I conclude I'm probably off base. I shouldn't have given it such a provocative title. A better title would have been What's Your Guess On Whether Meriweather Will Become Good? or something. I should only have raised the possibility --- as Brady-to-Branch did better than I could --- that Meriweather could be heading in the bust direction.

He could also turn out to be good. A bust and a good-by-Year-3 player can look an awful lot alike in Year 1.

Patsox23, of the options you present, I was probably most guilty of stirring up crap. I meant only to start a debate; I HAVE learned from this thread, which is good. DaBruinz, I'll try to get back to maintaining the usual level of my posts (for better or worse!)

I am hazy on the context of Wilson's and $amuel's rookie years, being at that time still in transition from lifelong fan to obsessed fan. I just thought that if a 4th rounder and 2nd rounder could play so much DB as rookies (not to mention Hobbs), a 1st rounder could do even better. I got my hopes too high for Year 1 contributions from Meriweather. I'm all for the idea of meeting back here in 2-3 years when we know.

Another issue: I hear the clock ticking on rookies more than most. The whole beauty of a first-round pick is getting the cheap slave labor for 5 years or so. By the second contract, you're basically stuck paying market price, but if he can contribute early in the rookie contract, you (the employer) make out. That's why it's been frustrating to see Watson and Maroney's early years marred by injury. By the time they're really good, we'll get only a couple years of great service at bargain prices.

I think some of my points were not addressed. Who IS the Worst First of the BB Era, if you had to name one? Then if you had to guess, where will Meriweather rank compared to that player?

Brady Quinn's name came up. I do consider him overrated.

Was that ME being called a witch? I had a good laugh about that.

Obviously it's too early to know about Meriweather for sure. But it HAS now been NINE WEEKS....;)

Now, I want you all to go out there, and let this thread sink to Page 46.

Bump! LOL

I'm going to be politically incorrect.

I'm not declaring him a bust, but Meriweather is on the fast track to becoming one.

There's some holes in some of the arguments I'm hearing.

"This, that, and so-and-so did nothing in their rookie years."

Wilson was starting at FS in 2003. Asante played in dime and nickel packages that same year. Warren and Wilfork are DLs and rookie DLs have a longer adjustment period than DBs. That said, Warren and Wilfork played meaningful minutes with the regular D. They weren't as good as they are now, but they weren't clueless either. Sanders was seeing quality time with the regular D in his rookie year before getting injured in 2005. Watson sucked when he was asked to carry too much of the burden. Yet, even Watson showed flashes in his rookie season before getting hurt, and he joined the team after a lengthy holdout.

So far, Meriweather hasn't appeared in any injury reports, hasn't shown any flashes of ability, hasn't had more than cameos with the regular D, and came to camp on time.

"Meriweather is playing behind a talented group."

Oh really? Rashod Baker is talented, who would have guessed? Wilson has missed games (currently injured), RH has been suspended, and Meriweather's PT is decreasing. According to Reiss, Meriweather played only one snap. The Pats rather have two SS-types, plus Baker rather than play their #1 pick in a week 9 game against the speedy Colts. But hey, Meriweather needs time.

Every first round DB has started and played significant time with the regular D. Not Meriweather. But hey, how dare I judge!

There are only two mid to high picks that made a poor 1st impression: Guss Scott and Dexter Reid. Foulweather makes strike #3.

Here's my theory:

Seattle screwed us by eeking out Ws, which push the pick to 24. The team knew it was a strong draft for DBs and sat on their hands expecting a quality DB to fall to them. When the run on DBs hit the top 20, the Pats took what they felt as the best of the rest in a weak remaining draft.

At the time, Asante was promising to hold out 'til week 10, Wilson was coming off two years of injuries, and both he and Gay were on the final year of their deals. The Pats were desperate for young secondary talent.

Hopefully, SF will continue to stink and we can get South FLA's Michael Jenkins. I doubt the team will count on Meriweather to fill the void if Wilson leaves or RH gets hurt. Since Wilson's market value is low right now, I like the team's chances of re-signing him.

Good post. My sentiments exactly. A first round draft pick DB should at a minimum be getting reps in nickle and dime packages.

Face it folks. Not every thing that BB/Pioli do turns to gold.

Good post. My sentiments exactly. A first round draft pick DB should at a minimum be getting reps in nickle and dime packages.

Face it folks. Not every thing that BB/Pioli do turns to gold.

You've got to be kidding me. First of all, I've seen Meriweather in these packages. Playing like the rookie he is. Do some of you really think this guy should come in and star like Ed Reed or something? The same thing with Maroney; you guys see Adrian Peterson and think Maroney should be just like him.

He is an NFL rookie. This will be only his tenth game of the year. Things take time. Do you hear me? THINGS TAKE TIME. I don't think you hear me, things take time for a lot of rookies.

When Maroney and Meriweather do fine in this league we don't want to hear any of you guys who shave no patience. Brandon is in his rookie season. This is absurd.

You've got to be kidding me. First of all, I've seen Meriweather in these packages. Playing like the rookie he is. Do some of you really think this guy should come in and star like Ed Reed or something? The same thing with Maroney; you guys see Adrian Peterson and think Maroney should be just like him.

He is an NFL rookie. This will be only his tenth game of the year. Things take time. Do you hear me? THINGS TAKE TIME. I don't think you hear me, things take time for a lot of rookies.

When Maroney and Meriweather do fine in this league we don't want to hear any of you guys who shave no patience. Brandon is in his rookie season. This is absurd.

You dont want to hear anyone question anything. If you think Meriweather is no reason to be concerned you are more of a homer then this post makes you seem.

Honestly be subjective for a second or two :rolleyes:

You dont want to hear anyone question anything. If you think Meriweather is no reason to be concerned you are more of a homer then this post makes you seem.

Honestly be subjective for a second or two :rolleyes:

How am I a homer. I am cognizant of the facts you have posted about Maroney, and aware of Meriweathers limited playing time. My point is that it makes no sense to call a rookie who hasn't completed his first season a bust.

How am I a homer. I am cognizant of the facts you have posted about Maroney, and aware of Meriweathers limited playing time. My point is that it makes no sense to call a rookie who hasn't completed his first season a bust.

I agree but you make it seem to question his ability at all is insane. I don't have beef with Brandon. Nor do I have a problem with Maroney. I hope they both succeed. I just call it like I see it.

I think Meriweather should be a bit more advanced considering his 1st round tag.

A lot of guys on here confuse me with every yahoo who calls maroney made out of glass. Some of the things people claim I said where other posters.

Oh well.

And this non-sense thread was pulled out of the thread grave yard, why?

Compare BM to Marlin Jackson of the the classy Colts. Jackson played in dime packages his rookie year and that was about it. So, was Marlin Jackson a bust now that he is a starter. Since when is it written that all 1st round picks have to start and become impact players in their rookie year.

I was not going to reply to this stupid thread but it was near the top so I didn't advance it much.

How many 1st round BUSTS have these guys drafted again since 2000? Not one. We need to be thankful that our team actually knows what theyre doing with players. And trust that the best coaches in the league actually have a clue. I mean who seriously questions their team during week 11 of an undefeated season???? This stuff is amazing to me.

Compare BM to Marlin Jackson of the the classy Colts. Jackson played in dime packages his rookie year and that was about it. So, was Marlin Jackson a bust now that he is a starter. Since when is it written that all 1st round picks have to start and become impact players in their rookie year.QUOTE]

I don't recall BM playing as a regular in dime coverage? I could be wrong. It concerns me he does not see significant action in the second half of games, especially when most are blow outs!

Compare BM to Marlin Jackson of the the classy Colts. Jackson played in dime packages his rookie year and that was about it. So, was Marlin Jackson a bust now that he is a starter. Since when is it written that all 1st round picks have to start and become impact players in their rookie year.QUOTE]

I don't recall BM playing as a regular in dime coverage? I could be wrong. It concerns me he does not see significant action in the second half of games, especially when most are blow outs!

I do see # 31 out there. With most players on D you really only notice them if they screw up or make a big play. He has done neither.

• But he is a BUST the Patriots should cut him now.

Meriweather isn't a bust (at least not yet). He is definitely a disapointment. He played one defensive snap vs. Indy and not much more the week before against Washington. The only time he has stood out on the field in a month was when Cooley burnt him for a TD.

You can't give up on the guy yet, but you can be very disapointed with his production so far. No excuses for the guy. A first round pick should be producing more than he does. It doesn't mean that he won't be a solid starter at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes