PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Brandon Meriweather is a bust thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm laughing my butt off right now at the people who seem to think that Meriweather, 9 games into his career, is a bust. This is probably the stupidest thing I have heard regarding pro sports. I'm sure if you told Belichick Meriweather was a bust he'd look at you like you were an idiot. I'll reserve my judgement on him for another 2-3 years.

Last edited:
IF Mods are using different user names, isn't that a banable offense?

Actually, YES. It is. That's the point.

But let's not hijack the thread. Again, I'd like to see newbies post good stuff - and some do, and when they do, I praise them for it and ask them to post more. I just would like to think this site is better than some of this kneejerk nonsense about guys who've played a season and a half or less.

Last edited:
I have no problem with that. I just think a handful of the newbies - along with some short-sighted vets, apparently - are making RIDICULOUS, way WAY premature pronouncements that never would've seen the light of day in years past.

The term newbie is ******ed. What is this rocket science? Do we need extensive training prior to posting? Maybe we could have minor/major league forums and the MODS could send people to & fro as they see fit. Anyway, are you talking about some of the newbies who suggested the PATS needed to overhaul their receiving corp or at least add a stud received for Brady after last season and who were among the completely ridiculed by some of the vetern posters, including yourself, for such a suggestion?

[/QUOTE]patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract Posts: 6,562

Re: We Do Not Need Any More Receivers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick4
Receiver is not an area of need for this team. We almost reached the Superbowl with what we had, and came up short in that game mostly due to a tanked/injured defense, a missed Caldwell catch, and two bad penalties (Troy Brown PI and Ellis Hobbs PI). We can win with our receivers, and they are not as big a liability as people here seem to think.

Among our receivers...Reche Caldwell out-performed Branch this year. Jabar Gaffney came in and immediately produced for us. Chad Jackson, as his HS and college history have shown, always comes back strong in his second year after learning a new system. We still have Troy as well.

We have stacked our offense with talent over the past two years, and they just need an off-season to gel. Our primary needs this year in free agency and the draft, in order of importance, are:
- Inside Linebacker: a run-stuffer who can also cover tight ends
- Safety: a Rodney replacement
- Cornerback: only if Asante isn't coming back
- Get Josh McDaniels in the film room and have him scout his own tendencies and faults

GOD

BLESS

MAVERICK!!!!

Thank you for being a voice in the F-ing insane wilderness of this site. The Patriots may have looked iffy at WR early in the year. Fine. Chad Jackson did pretty much nothing as a rookie. Fine. BUT:

Caldwell had a very good year and is now fully acclimated to the system.

Gaffney really put it together once he learned the system, and had a very solid post-season.

Chad Jackson, while deeply disappointing, was a rookie who missed all of T.C. He showed flashes and while that doesn't prove a thing, the fact that most rookies make a big jump from freshman to sophomore, makes me feel okay about him. Especially considering, as Maverick points out, Chad's history in terms of blossoming in his 2nd and 3rd years. I'm very excitied to see how he looks in training camp.

The Patriots did not lose to the Colts because of their WRs. Were they perfect? No. But the offense did put up plenty of points. You people going off about WR being our #1 priority are way, WAY too spoiled by the Deion Branch effect. The vast majority of top-ranked college WRs do not come in and pick up a system - especially one as complex as the Patriots' - from Day One.
[/QUOTE]

Hell, some veteran posters were still arguing that what we were seeing with our own eyes wasn't actually happening, but soon Belichick's obvious agreement put an end to the argument.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=50348

Last edited:
Meriweather is behind Samuel, Wilson, Gay and Sanders. Meriweather is regularly playing on special teams, including the punt return team, kick return team, kick and punt coverages and FG blocking team.

I don't think he can be labeled a bust yet either. But he's also playing behind Baker on D at safety.

In my Madden franchise Merriweather is a absolute beast on defense and just like in the game let it be in reality.
No seriously though people I don't believe he is even near bust potential.\
BB and SP wouldn't of had such a desire to draft him when they knew they might of been able to dial up good ol Romeos number and take em behind the woodshed for Brady Quinn.

BB and SP wouldn't of had such a desire to draft him when they knew they might of been able to dial up good ol Romeos number and take em behind the woodshed for Brady Quinn.

Quinn was already drafted at #22 when Meriweather was drafted at #24. However, unless Phil Savage was positive that KC would take Quinn, I wonder if he talked trade with BB/SP; and, if he did, how close they came to a deal. Meriweather would have supposedly been taken by Philly at #26, but at #36, CB Chris Houston, FS Eric Weddle, OLB Lamarr Woodley and ILB David Harris would have still been available.

A few thoughts

1. A few posters mentioned Wilson starting right away. Should we cut Rodney before the Buffalo game and see if Meriweather repeats the performance?:confused:

By the way, How well has Wilson's career gone since that thrilling 1st year?

2. HE'S BEHIND BAKER!!!!!!!!!!! Yes he is. Baker is in his 4th year in the NFL having played in 28 games in Buff. and some emergency duty last year for us.

Rodney, Wilson, Gay and Samuel could be gone. Do we rush the rookie in to please impatient fans, or try to develop a guy that's a little further along instead of letting him rot on the bench and eventually be cut.

Before you answer, remember this is the Patriots, not the AZ Cardinals.

Meriweather's signed, he's not going anywhere.

Also he's a rookie. As long as he can stand on a table and sing his school fight song, his progress is fine.

Along these lines, don't become suicidal if the try to work Mitchekll into the regular D too.

Also, all the "rush 'em in now" fans.

If you want to know how the Patriots operate just recall Ellis Hobbs first year.

Rather than put a raw rookie in, the Pats suffered through watching Starks try to play on one arm and one leg. Hobbs was 100% healthy.

Hobbs has turned into a starter. Many teams would have allowed Hobbs to be thrown in there despite bad habits and never develop right.

That's the difference between the Pats and other teams.

This is ridiculous. There's so many things wrong with this argument that I'm not sure where to start except maybe...

Wilson and Asante had far less depth to break through than Meriweather.

It's been 6 games.

Wilfork and Watson had done about the same, or less, at this point in their rookie years.

It's really not even worth the time of anyone on the thread to reply to this so I'm not really sure why I am. Shakadave, this is the kind thread that's either trolly or short-sighted or meant to stir up sh!t. It is a thread you'll get killed for, and rightfully so. Pathetic.

Unless, of course, you're joking. In which case, Bravo. You got me. 'Course I just woke up 5 minutes ago, but still...well played.

I have waited four long years for this moment! :singing: I said at the time that it was early yet, it takes time to learn the D, etc., but I sensed something not right with Meriweather. (I followed training camp and the Patriots in general much closer then than I've had time to lately.) It was a post about my football instincts, which are sometimes right. It was a post of prediction. Was it too early then to know for sure? Duh! Do I enjoy predicting? Definitely. I even used to be good at predicting scores.

For fun, scroll down and read Patsox23 defending the honor of Maroney.

Read Rob0729, the voice of reason.

Read me suggesting we "meet back here in 2-3 years when we know."

Read RayClay's unwillingness to hear my thoughts.

Read how many say essentially that we don't know anything about a rookie by mid-October. (Really?)

Read xmarkd400x smugly "knowing" that Brady Quinn was destined for stardom. (I called Quinn overrated later in the thread.)

Now I will sit back and enjoy the inevitable post that I am stupid because of Meriweather's two Pro Bowls...

People who bump their own 4 year old threads to gloat about a player not panning out...

...I shouldn't finish that sentence, because whatever I invariably write will not be very nice.

Last edited:
Jack, we know Meri was your version of a kids favorite stuffed animal. But, give it up. Meriweather was a giant disappointment and never developed in coverage, learning defense schemes or gaining Belichick's trust. There's also the urban legend that he's a good tackler because he can hit hard, but he should have been more famous for his whiffs.

Every year he would be up and down the depth chart and when he started getting outplayed by guys like Brandon McGowan, it was pretty obvious BM wasn't cut out to be a Pats safety.

Good riddance, BM.

Last edited:
Jack, we know Meri was your version of a kids favorite stuffed animal.

He was? That's news to me.

How's that relevant to bumping a thread to gloat about him not panning out? Were none of the other handful of Meriweather-related threads floating around good enough?

I have waited four long years for this moment! :singing: I said at the time that it was early yet, it takes time to learn the D, etc., but I sensed something not right with Meriweather. (I followed training camp and the Patriots in general much closer then than I've had time to lately.) It was a post about my football instincts, which are sometimes right. It was a post of prediction. Was it too early then to know for sure? Duh! Do I enjoy predicting? Definitely. I even used to be good at predicting scores.

For fun, scroll down and read Patsox23 defending the honor of Maroney.

Read Rob0729, the voice of reason.

Read me suggesting we "meet back here in 2-3 years when we know."

Read RayClay's unwillingness to hear my thoughts.

Read how many say essentially that we don't know anything about a rookie by mid-October. (Really?)

Read xmarkd400x smugly "knowing" that Brady Quinn was destined for stardom. (I called Quinn overrated later in the thread.)

Now I will sit back and enjoy the inevitable post that I am stupid because of Meriweather's two Pro Bowls...

Fail......

BM may have been a bust in this system but that doesn't mean hes a bust as a football player. The year he was drafted he was the Last DB left on the board that was considered First round material. Could be that BB took him because he saw potential and thought he could mold him into a player that could work in his system.

Last edited:
It's relevant because he turned out to be a bust and just got cut. Bumping old threads on messageboards isn't something that happens rarely...

I will say, at least you weren't one of the posters calling other users racist for bashing BM.

I think that we have more than enough current threads on Meriweather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back