PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2015 NFL Rounds 4-7draft thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality depth. Injuries happen. We have three guys in the receiving corps with injury histories: Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola. Four if you count Dobson. Do you really want to roll into a game with the kind of depth that we had in the 2013 playoffs? Because I know I don't. I suspect the team knows this because they weren't working out later round WR's and trying to sign Stevie Johnson for ****s and gigs.

I agree that they view WR as a depth need- but not a critical one.

You can't layer your roster with so much depth at one position that other positions that also require quality depth are also neglected. You know this.

That's what I posted that in the event that a TE or WR or two go down, TB has more than enough targets to throw to. The key is to have as many guys on your roster than can catch the football and have positional and schematic flexibility as opposed to stockpiling wide receivers.

That's what I see. I don't think they've given up on Aaron. Cadet taking over for Shane, building a 3 TE rotation, Lafell, Julian and Danny.

Tom Brady is not going to throw throw the ball 800 times. The most passes he's put up is 637 in a season. The most receptions he's completed is 401. There's only 1football on the field at a time.

Explain to me in detail how drafting a WR correlates to Tom Brady throwing the ball 800 times? Are you expecting the Pats to roll out 8 WR packages?

What's the under/over on the number of picks traded today (excluding our compensatory 7th rounder)?

My guess is either 2 or 3. No way in hell Bill is using all his day 3 picks.

While I think its in BB's nature to wheel and deal, I think the spread of picks currently is pretty good from a Pats perspective. If they like someone they may move up, or they could move down and add even more picks.

I don't think it would be crazy for BB to use all 7 picks today, or maybe even another trade down to add another pick. I think one of the big disconnects we have as fans and the teams is we look at a 53 man roster. BB is trying to build the best 90 man roster for training camp to create the most competition and depth to account for injuries. If you go into camp with a focus on 53 guys, its harder to adjust when guys inevitably get hurt.

I'm all for drafting as many guys as we can because we are going to fill those roster spots anyway as UDFA. One of the other benefits of potentially adding another pick or two is we could be more aggressive in adding UDFA's. Because of the way the system is now with a cap on UDFA signing bonuses, the less roster spots to fill the more talented undrafted players we can target. For example, if we only have 4 roster spots to fill with UDFA's, we could split the approx $80k bonus pool among 4 players each at $20k. Other teams with more roster spots to fill might have to spread that over more players, giving the Pats a better shot at the top guys.

I agree that they view WR as a depth need- but not a critical one.

You can't layer your roster with so much depth at one position that other positions that also require quality depth are also neglected. You know this.

That's what I posted that in the event that a TE or WR or two go down, TB has more than enough targets to throw to. The key is to have as many guys on your roster than can catch the football as opposed to stockpiling wide receivers.

Since when is a day 3 selection at a position a critical depth move? Further, where have I called the need a critical one?

They would have been wrong to drop a top pick on a receiver not named Cooper, White, or Parker. The draft is too deep at the position to do that. I suspect that Belichick knows this too. And I don't need any more evidence. I saw them try to land Johnson and get outbid and I saw them do extensive workouts with later round prospects at the position. So I ask the same question that I did before (which you conveniently ducked): Why work out these prospects? For the hell of it or because they know there's a need? Because I don't see any other reason why they would have done it.
You work them out so when they become available they know the could sign with the defending World Champions and the best run orginaztion in all 4 major sports leagues in North America.

Un-ducked.

Since when is a day 3 selection at a position a critical depth move? Further, where have I called the need a critical one?
You didn't say it was critical.

Essentially we are saying the same thing.

You work them out so when they become available they know the could sign with the defending World Champions and the best run orginaztion in all 4 major sports leagues in North America.

Un-ducked.

So you're arguing just for the hell of it, then. Got it. The Patriots are expending draft resources and time showing up at all of those pro days and trying to sign Stevie Johnson so that one day, they may sign with the 2014 Super Bowl champions or they may not. That makes so much sense.

You didn't say it was critical.

Essentially we are saying the same thing.

No, it's not critical in the same vein that DT was and CB is, but it is a pressing need. I don't think I have to remind you of the injury histories of Gronk, Edelman, and especially Amendola. I'm pretty sure I don't need to remind you that Dobson missed the better part of two seasons with injury either. The need for depth is there and, unless you think Brandon Gibson is the answer, the need should be filled at some point today if their guy is available.

Thats the thing. Whomever they pick up at WR for 2015 and 2016 is not going get more than at most ~50 targets in this offense. Not w/ Gronk, Jules and LaFell here.

Why burn a >4th rounder on a WR for that?

That may be the case if everyone stays healthy, but this is a very unpredictable and physical sport.

How many people would have thought that Victor Cruz would catch 96 balls his first 2 seasons? Brandon Marshall 161 catches in his first 2 seasons. Marques Colston 134 catches in his first 2 years? Guys can exceed their draft position and right now we are thin at WR. We might be set for starters, but if you have injuries you need to have depth. Why not use a 4th round pick for that depth?

That may be the case if everyone stays healthy, but this is a very unpredictable and physical sport.

How many people would have thought that Victor Cruz would catch 96 balls his first 2 seasons? Brandon Marshall 161 catches in his first 2 seasons. Marques Colston 134 catches in his first 2 years? Guys can exceed their draft position and right now we are thin at WR. We might be set for starters, but if you have injuries you need to have depth. Why not use a 4th round pick for that depth?

beardedguyheadnod.gif

No, it's not critical in the same vein that DT was and CB is, but it is a pressing need. I don't think I have to remind you of the injury histories of Gronk, Edelman, and especially Amendola. I'm pretty sure I don't need to remind you that Dobson missed the better part of two seasons with injury either. The need for depth is there and, unless you think Brandon Gibson is the answer, the need should be filled at some point today if their guy is available.

No. You don't.

We view the priority and the urgency to fill that need differently.

I do think Brandon Gibson is good depth. Is he a Wr1 or Wr2-no. Is he a potential 30/400yds/ 2 TD guy in this offense? Absolutely.

I think DT was a helluva lot more "critical" than WR. Especially when a talent like Brown that can stop the run and collapse the pocket falls on you doorstep and something this team desperately needed.

The Draft model that BB implemented in New England (Which evaluates players that fit our schemes, personnel and philosophy) is really great at the edges of the draft. Usually, i am more pleased with the third day prospects that we pick than the 2nd day ones (More talking about Richards than Grisson, honestly)

Let's see what happens, still plenty of great players. Very, very deep draft. Keep'em coming

We have a different definition for depth.

My definition for depth is to have as many reliable pass-catchers for TB to throw to. With that said, it is important that these players can line up in as many offensive formations as possible.

As of right now, TB has a ton of guys to throw to.

I like Rashad Greene, Justin Hardy

I'm optimistic about Dobson though. Still think he warrants 1 more year

I agree about Dobson, but the kid needs to stay healthy.

No. You don't.

We view the priority and the urgency to fill that need differently.

I do think Brandon Gibson is good depth. Is he a Wr1 or Wr2-no. Is he a potential 30/400yds/ 2 TD guy in this offense? Absolutely.

I think DT was a helluva lot more "critical" than WR. Especially when a talent like Brown that can stop the run and collapse the pocket falls on you doorstep and something this team desperately needed.

Gibson hasn't eclipsed the 400 yard mark in 3 seasons and has slowly lost playing time. The team may not even look at him as anything more than TC fodder. In no world should Brandon Gibson prevent the team from bolstering WR depth in a deeper draft at the position.

And yes, I do agree with DT being more critical. CB as well. But that doesn't mean that WR is not a need.

So you're arguing just for the hell of it, then. Got it. The Patriots are expending draft resources and time showing up at all of those pro days and trying to sign Stevie Johnson so that one day, they may sign with the 2014 Super Bowl champions or they may not. That makes so much sense.
They didn't sign Stevie Johnson, they didn't sign Brian Hartline, they didn't draft Cooper or White or Parker or Perriman or Dorsett or DGB or Lockett or Strong or Conley or Coates or Montgomery.

Randy Moss hasn't worn a Patriot uniform since 2010. Stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back