PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2015 NFL Rounds 4-7draft thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I think its in BB's nature to wheel and deal, I think the spread of picks currently is pretty good from a Pats perspective. If they like someone they may move up, or they could move down and add even more picks.

I don't think it would be crazy for BB to use all 7 picks today, or maybe even another trade down to add another pick. I think one of the big disconnects we have as fans and the teams is we look at a 53 man roster. BB is trying to build the best 90 man roster for training camp to create the most competition and depth to account for injuries. If you go into camp with a focus on 53 guys, its harder to adjust when guys inevitably get hurt.

I'm all for drafting as many guys as we can because we are going to fill those roster spots anyway as UDFA. One of the other benefits of potentially adding another pick or two is we could be more aggressive in adding UDFA's. Because of the way the system is now with a cap on UDFA signing bonuses, the less roster spots to fill the more talented undrafted players we can target. For example, if we only have 4 roster spots to fill with UDFA's, we could split the approx $80k bonus pool among 4 players each at $20k. Other teams with more roster spots to fill might have to spread that over more players, giving the Pats a better shot at the top guys.

Just to add to my point about making more picks and filling less holes through UDFA.
Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 3m3 minutes ago
The biggest signing bonus received by a 2014 undrafted free agent was $20,000.

I think this number shows that limiting the number of UDFA's required, the better chance we have of getting the top guys. I believe before the draft our roster was at 75 and we have made 3 picks already. If we make our remaining 7 picks we only have space for 5 more. That could make us very competitive for the top 5 UDFA's available.

Gibson hasn't eclipsed the 400 yard mark in 3 seasons and has slowly lost playing time. The team may not even look at him as anything more than TC fodder.

His 1 year deal indicates that the team is hedging its commitment to him. However, he did produce in STL when JMD was OC which increases his chances to sticking. I think he is a tick above camp fodder though, Kontra. Depending how things shake out with Dobson, he could stick.

In no world should Brandon Gibson prevent the team from bolstering WR depth in a deeper draft at the position.

I agree. If better talent/fit present itself that is superior to Gibson than cut him.

Just to add to my point about making more picks and filling less holes through UDFA.

That "stat" is somewhat meaningless, since the CBA limits rookie signing bonuses for UDFAs to something like $25,000, and per team to something like $75,000. [At least the latter number has gone up with the salary cap; can't remember if the former does.]

The real question is what's the largest amount of salary guaranteed to a rookie UDFA. IIRC the Patriots guaranteed Armond Armstead's entire rookie salary.

I'm also not convinced that having fewer UDFA roster spots makes it easier to sign top UDFAs; if your roster is already full up, it might convince rookies to sign elsewhere.

We need a Dennard type pick to cancel out Richards today (not attacking the kid, just saying value wise).

Collins or Clemmings would fit the bill

Been saying if for a while now, but this is the round where we draft us some big O-lineman. Surprised that there are good players left at the postion as well. Also hoping we can get a CB or two and possibly a wr or rb. Should be more focused on Offense today...keeping my fingers crossed :)

That "stat" is somewhat meaningless, since the CBA limits rookie signing bonuses for UDFAs to something like $25,000, and per team to something like $75,000. [At least the latter number has gone up with the salary cap; can't remember if the former does.]

The real question is what's the largest amount of salary guaranteed to a rookie UDFA. IIRC the Patriots guaranteed Armond Armstead's entire rookie salary.

I'm also not convinced that having fewer UDFA roster spots makes it easier to sign top UDFAs; if your roster is already full up, it might convince rookies to sign elsewhere.

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 16m16 minutes ago
Ethan Westbrooks had the most guaranteed for 2014 undrafted free agents w/$50k. Rams gave him $20k signing bonus & $30k salary guarantee.

champinships are won in rounds 3-7. let's go BB - get it done!

Explain to me in detail how drafting a WR correlates to Tom Brady throwing the ball 800 times? Are you expecting the Pats to roll out 8 WR packages?
Fine. Last year Patriot WR's caught 92 (J. Edelman), 74 (B.Lafell), 27 (Amendola). Our TE's caught 82 (Gronk), 26 (Wright). That's 76.7% of all receptionts thrown by by Brady.

Vereen and his 52 catches are gone to the Giants. That's 13.2% of the total receptions. We got Cadet to make up for that as he caught 38 passes last year. I don't understand where all these extra receptions are coming from. All of these players are under contract and the miniscule #'s from the rest are also still on the team.

392 catches on 609 throws and 27 of those throws were from our back-up JG. Besides letting Vereen walk (and getting Cadet to take his spot), who are we tossing the ball an extra 100x to?

champinships are won in rounds 3-7. let's go BB - get it done!

Completely agree. I think round 4 in particular is important because you get to step back, re-set your board and plan your moves before things get crazy and you have to react to the board later on. I think the trade back from 96 was a great move.

I love that some people don't think WR is a need. It makes for good comedy.

They didn't sign Stevie Johnson,

Though they were clearly interested and got outbid.

they didn't sign Brian Hartline,

Again, there was interest. Hartline said the Patriots were a "close second" to the Browns, indicating that the Pats offered him a lower contract than the Browns did.

they didn't draft Cooper or White or Parker or Perriman or Dorsett

Illogical since the Pats didn't have the draft resources to do this without a trade up. You have no idea where those players were on BB's board.

Unexpected due to character issues.

or Lockett or Strong or Conley or Coates or Montgomery.

Belichick himself was reported to have watched Coates closely at Auburn's pro day and Conley had a personal workout. I guess this is maybe so that they can sign with the 2014 world champs in the future or maybe not.

Randy Moss hasn't worn a Patriot uniform since 2010. Stop it.

This is called a strawman. Nobody is asking for the next Randy Moss. People are simply looking at the WR position, the history of injuries with the personnel, and the fact that this is a physical sport coupled with the depth (or lack thereof) behind the starters, and correctly pointing out that there is a need here. It really doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to piece this all together. The Patriots made a contract offer to Stevie Johnson, they probably made one to Hartline (based on his words), and they worked out Agholor, Conley, Crowder, Kennedy, and Parker and Belichick was reportedly keeping a close eye on Coates at Auburn's pro day. How much more proof do you need that they consider depth at the position a need?

I would be very happy with any combination of:

David Cobb, Jay Ajayi, Mike Davis, Malcolm Agnew (RB's)
Stefon Diggs, Vince Mayle, Tre McBride, DeAndre Smelter, Tony Lippet, Neale Sterling, Nigel King (WR's)
Tre Jackson, TJ Clemmings, Josue Matias, Shaq Mason, Max Garcia (OL)*
Grady Jarret, Michael Bennet, Marcus Hardison Gabe Wright, Joey Mbu, Rakeem Nunes-Roches (DL)
Max Valles, Ben Heeney, Davis Tull (LB)
Josh Shaw, Doran Grant, Damien Swann, Nick Marshall, JaCorey Shepherd, Dexter McDonald, Justin Coleman, Tray Walker (CB's)
Ibraheim Campbell (SS) Tevin McDonald (FS)

*Not sure what's happening with La'el Collins, with him not wanting to sign for anyone today, but he would be my first pick, regardless of his current predicament.

Diggs Smelter McBride Hardy out of all these guys I like Diggs and Smelter double dipping would make me a happy camper.

I love that some people don't think WR is a need. It makes for good comedy.
I think they are saying, that there are much bigger needs at other positions, LB, OL, and possibly CB.

Tyrell Williams in the 6th man I have a wide receiver fetish.

I'm sure we like some o lineman no one has ever heard of when we draft him In the 5th it will be from such a small college that Marshal Faulk will laugh he then will go on to be the best pick of the draft.

Fine. Last year Patriot WR's caught 92 (J. Edelman), 74 (B.Lafell), 27 (Amendola). Our TE's caught 82 (Gronk), 26 (Wright). That's 76.7% of all receptionts thrown by by Brady.

Vereen and his 52 catches are gone to the Giants. That's 13.2% of the total receptions. We got Cadet to make up for that as he caught 38 passes last year. I don't understand where all these extra receptions are coming from. All of these players are under contract and the miniscule #'s from the rest are also still on the team.

392 catches on 609 throws and 27 of those throws were from our back-up JG. Besides letting Vereen walk (and getting Cadet to take his spot), who are we tossing the ball an extra 100x to?

You're clearly having trouble with the term "depth" and just exactly what it means. Dictionary.com should be able to provide some support in the matter. Once again, you seem to be operating under the belief that the Patriots are going to be putting 8 WR's on the field at the same time.

I think they are saying, that there are much bigger needs at other positions, LB, OL, and possibly CB.

People have been saying WR is not a need all offseason, Makoute, even as the Patriots were offering contracts to multiple WRs in the offseason. The comedy has been there for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes