PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

***THE OFFICIAL 2015 NFL Rounds 4-7draft thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Binkies remaining:

WR: Greene, Crowder, Davis
CB: Olomu (redshirt year)
QB: Bridge (rounds 6-7)

Doesn't matter what I think. The FO has made the decisions. We're on to the 4th RD. of the draft. No Madden/Fantasy WR's to report.

How long have you followed this draft? Most people didn't expect the Pats to even look at receivers until late day 2 at the earliest, day 3 at the latest. Again, the team was EXTREMELY fortunate when it came to health in the receiving corps last season. The depth there was only slightly better than 2013 where we ended the season with only a couple of healthy WR's. It's a need. Most sensible people know this and the team seems to know it, given their activity in FA and the pre-draft workouts.

BTW, EVERY POSITION IS A POSITION OF NEED.

How long have you followed this draft? Most people didn't expect the Pats to even look at receivers until late day 2 at the earliest, day 3 at the latest. Again, the team was EXTREMELY fortunate when it came to health in the receiving corps last season. The depth there was only slightly better than 2013 where we ended the season with only a couple of healthy WR's. It's a need. Most sensible people know this and the team seems to know it, given their activity in FA and the pre-draft workouts.
So far the "sensible" philosophy has rung hollow. Just as I expected.

So far the "sensible" philosophy has rung hollow. Just as I expected.

So the team tried to sign the likes of Stevie Johnson and worked out all of these WR's for the hell of it? Because, if not for that reason or because they know they need another WR, why else would they do it? I'll await your answer.

So the team tried to sign the likes of Stevie Johnson and worked out all of these WR's for the hell of it? Because, if not for that reason or because they know they need another WR, why else would they do it? I'll await your answer.
They had the cap space and didn't pull the trigger on any of these big name WR's and haven't dropped a pick on a WR in the first 3 Rd's. What more evidence do you need?

What's the under/over on the number of picks traded today (excluding our compensatory 7th rounder)?

My guess is either 2 or 3. No way in hell Bill is using all his day 3 picks.

How worried are you about Ajayi's fumbling? He seems to hold the ball away from his body a lot.

At this point its not a huge concern. He is such a good runner and seems a consensus 2nd round talent. The bigger issue is the knee injury which has caused him to drop this far. But I think there are still other talented backs available as well. So the fumbling may not be a concern in terms of his individual value at this stage, but it may be the difference between Ajayi and another RB like Langford or Davis.

Why would you want another WR anyway? A late round pick sure why not but there's more pressing needs.

2 receivers last season would have got 1000 yards each if they didn't miss a couple of games and they signed a pretty good receiver in Gibson, Dobson is coming off IR and then throw in the best TE duo in the league to compliment the passing game further.

I think it all comes down to what they think they will get out of Dobson. If they think that he will contribute, it is not a need. If they think he is cooked, they would have cut him and drafted a WR.

I think that the fact that they didn't go WR in Days 1 and 2, they project (at this time) Dobson on the 2015 roster.

Jules
LaFell
Amendola
Dobson
Tyms
Boyce
~Slater
Assorted camp fodder.

With Gronk, Chandler and Wright, you have 3 guys who split out.

Cadet is also a guy who you will split out.

TB has tons of guys to throw to so while its a need, it's not a huge priority.

You can upgrade Tyms and Boyce for sure.

You must have been surprised @OhExaulted1 that I put you in the same sentence as "insightful" lol

Well keep in mind, I was speaking strictly about the draft, not golf! :p

From my perspective it seems like they want to add another WR, but they still need to stick to their valuations. Would they love to add Stevie Johnson? I'm sure they would at the right price. Unfortunately other teams are sometimes willing to pay more. I think its the same for some of the RB's they looked at in free agency.

I think the draft is the same. Would they have liked to add a WR? Maybe, if they had a WR at or near the top of their board. Could they still add a WR in teh 4th, 5th, 6th round? Absolutely, I wouldn't at all be surprised if #101 was a WR like Rashad Greene or Stefon Diggs.

Scenario 1: Edelman & LaFell stay healthy, Amendola keeps playing like he did in the playoffs last year and doesn't badly injure himself again, Dobson gets back on track, Gibson recovers and plays well, Tyms develops. Really not much room for another WR.

Scenario 2: Edelman hurts himself for a 2 month span, pushing Amendola into action, who is made of glass too and ends up on IR himself. LaFell gets an injury but Dobson never got back on track and Gibson never recovered. Tyms didn't develop much, but you need to rely on him anyway. In this situation you're looking at a starting WR corps of Tyms, Boyce and someone off the street.

Conclusion: They may not end up NEEDING the WR, but they also could end up REALLY needing the WR. You need appropriate depth and insurance.

They had the cap space and didn't pull the trigger on any of these big name WR's and haven't dropped a pick on a WR in the first 3 Rd's. What more evidence do you need?

They would have been wrong to drop a top pick on a receiver not named Cooper, White, or Parker. The draft is too deep at the position to do that. I suspect that Belichick knows this too. And I don't need any more evidence. I saw them try to land Johnson and get outbid and I saw them do extensive workouts with later round prospects at the position. So I ask the same question that I did before (which you conveniently ducked): Why work out these prospects? For the hell of it or because they know there's a need? Because I don't see any other reason why they would have done it.

I think it all comes down to what they think they will get out of Dobson. If they think that he will contribute, it is not a need. If they think he is cooked, they would have cut him and drafted a WR.

I think that the fact that they didn't go WR in Days 1 and 2, they project (at this time) Dobson on the 2015 roster.

Jules
LaFell
Amendola
Dobson
Tyms
Boyce
~Slater
Assorted camp fodder.

Quality depth. Injuries happen. We have three guys in the receiving corps with injury histories: Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola. Four if you count Dobson. Do you really want to roll into a game with the kind of depth that we had in the 2013 playoffs? Because I know I don't. I suspect the team knows this because they weren't working out later round WR's and trying to sign Stevie Johnson for ****s and gigs.

From my perspective it seems like they want to add another WR, but they still need to stick to their valuations. Would they love to add Stevie Johnson? I'm sure they would at the right price. Unfortunately other teams are sometimes willing to pay more. I think its the same for some of the RB's they looked at in free agency.

I think the draft is the same. Would they have liked to add a WR? Maybe, if they had a WR at or near the top of their board. Could they still add a WR in teh 4th, 5th, 6th round? Absolutely, I wouldn't at all be surprised if #101 was a WR like Rashad Greene or Stefon Diggs.

Thats the thing. Whomever they pick up at WR for 2015 and 2016 is not going get more than at most ~50 targets in this offense. Not w/ Gronk, Jules and LaFell here.

Why burn a >4th rounder on a WR for that?

Jules
LaFell
Amendola
Dobson
Tyms
Boyce
~Slater
Assorted camp fodder.

That's what I see. I don't think they've given up on Aaron. Cadet taking over for Shane, building a 3 TE rotation, Lafell, Julian and Danny.

Tom Brady is not going to throw throw the ball 800 times. The most passes he's put up is 637 in a season. The most receptions he's completed is 401. There's only 1football on the field at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back