PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL is basically a criminal organization

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what he's going to do.

I thought I read somewhere that he didn't want to coach into his 70's. That timeline would put him at the probable end of Brady's career.

Add their cynical pandering "pink October" breast cancer "awareness" and phony "Salute to Service" PR campaigns to the list.

There is no oversight monitoring this mega industry. No SEC or EPA or FDA etc. I'm surprised the US senators or congressmen from states like Mass, Louisiana, Florida, Missouri, Maryland, Minnesota ….states that have been slapped around by Goodell and his henchmen…. haven't been more vocal in their support of their hometown teams. Not even fake outrage. Where's Elizabeth Warren on this one? Form a committee…hold a hearing. Ask Goodell the questions his media partners refuse to.

Not to defend the NFL, but this is also par for the course among for-profit entities.

I thought I read somewhere that he didn't want to coach into his 70's. That timeline would put him at the probable end of Brady's career.
He said that in the A Football Life in 2009. I think he is 64 now or so.

As long as his heath is good, has a great energy level, still has the drive and passion to win and doesn't get complacent he can coach till whenever. The key is to not get stagnant. Tom Landry stopped innovating which led to his retirement. I don't think that'll happen to BB but you never know.

Not to defend the NFL, but this is also par for the course among for-profit entities.

I don't know about you, but I'm not a "fan" of Monsanto or Dow Chemicals or any of these other for-profit entities you're talking about. If I'm going to be a fan of something, I want it to have enough redeeming qualities so I don't feel like taking a shower every time I learn what they're actually doing.

WOnder where this league will be in 5-10 years
Probably where big tobacco is now. More regulated. Not doing some of the more morally egregious things (overtly trying to hook kids on smoking). Not cooking the data anymore. Without an all powerful dictator corrupted by power and money in charge. Providing a product / job to adults who know the risks and choose to go ahead anyway. Where big tobacco is now.

I would argue that would actually be a better NFL than the corrupt and morally bankrupt organization we have today.:(

There is no oversight monitoring this mega industry. No SEC or EPA or FDA etc. I'm surprised the US senators or congressmen from states like Mass, Louisiana, Florida, Missouri, Maryland, Minnesota ….states that have been slapped around by Goodell and his henchmen…. haven't been more vocal in their support of their hometown teams. Not even fake outrage. Where's Elizabeth Warren on this one? Form a committee…hold a hearing. Ask Goodell the questions his media partners refuse to.

Either nationalize sports leagues a la Amtrak or else keep Congress the hell away from them. The baseball steroid commission was a national embarrassment and should never be repeated. States and cities should stop subsidizing sports stadiums. They aren't getting "slapped around" by Goodell but by corrupt and idiotic mayors and city council members who are in the pockets of real estate developers.

I don't know about you, but I'm not a "fan" of Monsanto or Dow Chemicals or any of these other for-profit entities you're talking about. If I'm going to be a fan of something, I want it to have enough redeeming qualities so I don't feel like taking a shower every time I learn what they're actually doing.

This is all ideology, though. In the end, you're a fan of a billion dollar for-profit brand that plays dirty with both its employees and consumers to pump out money. I am too. But that's true of the Patriots as much as it is of Dow Chemicals. There's very little to be done about it, fans "voting with their wallet" against the NFL is like a gnat trying to swat a lion. I will certainly say that the more the veil is pierced, the more depressing it becomes.

This is all ideology, though. In the end, you're a fan of a billion dollar for-profit brand that plays dirty with both its employees and consumers to pump out money. I am too. But that's true of the Patriots as much as it is of Dow Chemicals. There's very little to be done about it, fans "voting with their wallet" against the NFL is like a gnat trying to swat a lion. I will certainly say that the more the veil is pierced, the more depressing it becomes.

Then I'm a gnat, since it's all I can be. Even a lion can be made quite uncomfortable by a swarm of gnats.

Seriously, if you're using this excuse to justify your own continued purchase of tickets and merchandise, shame on you.

Then I'm a gnat, since it's all I can be. Even a lion can be made quite uncomfortable by a swarm of gnats.

Seriously, if you're using this excuse to justify your own continued purchase of tickets and merchandise, shame on you.

I don't buy tickets and the jerseys I've bought have come straight from China, bypassing the NFL middleman and the rent they collect on their intellectual property. Doesn't matter either way. The NFL's big money dumps come from the networks, and the consumer, even in a 'swarm,' has absolutely no control over it. I'm rooting for the players to strike and will stand with them in solidarity if they do, because that's about the one thing that could actually change things.

I don't buy tickets and the jerseys I've bought have come straight from China, bypassing the NFL middleman and the rent they collect on their intellectual property. Doesn't matter either way. The NFL's big money dumps come from the networks, and the consumer, even in a 'swarm,' has absolutely no control over it. I'm rooting for the players to strike and will stand with them in solidarity if they do, because that's about the one thing that could actually change things.

Good for you. I don't care if it actually shows up on their eventual bottom line or not, they are not getting any more of my money.

You're right that a few ex-fans not tuning in on TV, or even a few thousand, isn't going to affect ratings enough to hurt their TV contracts, but every landslide starts with a pebble, so continue to do what you can, and try to spread the word to others. It's all we can do.

I would have no problem if the NFL implodes and becomes nothing more than a blip on sports fans radar. I agree with the OP that the NFL is being run similar to a criminal organization. They could care less about the fans and the players, it really is all about the $$$$$. I am holding out hope that a journalist will investigate the NFL and inform the people of his findings. ESPN could do a 30 for 30 about the fraud that is happening in the NFL offices but won't because they are in bed with them.

I grew up a strong baseball fan, stopped caring about the game in my 30s, and haven't particularly missed it.

I long ago stopped caring about college sports as well.

If I stop being a football fan, I'll be OK too.

I was a fan of the RedSox and the Celtics. Loved the Russell era.
But for different reasons, I stopped following each.
Rabid Pats fan since 1960. Went to games every year.
But last season for obvious reasons for the first time ever, I deliberately boycotted Kraft's revenue stream, not buying tickets, not paying for parking, not buying food & drink.
I'm deciding what to do about this season. So far refused the ticket opportunities from friends. If I ever do decide to go to a game again, it will be to see Brady before he's gone forever.
With the NYJFL's pervasive perfidy, rising concerns about concussions on players, I'm confident that when Brady & BB depart, so will I. Just like with MLB and the NBA.

Probably where big tobacco is now. More regulated. Not doing some of the more morally egregious things (overtly trying to hook kids on smoking). Not cooking the data anymore. Without an all powerful dictator corrupted by power and money in charge. Providing a product / job to adults who know the risks and choose to go ahead anyway. Where big tobacco is now.

I would argue that would actually be a better NFL than the corrupt and morally bankrupt organization we have today.:(

Except that's not where big tobacco is now. It is in Asia and Africa, overtly trying to hook kids on smoking, and doing it quite successfully. And switching to other tobacco delivery systems that are less deadly, but still addictive. They just did what they could in the western developed economies, then moved overseas.

Kind of like what the NFL is looking to do now. Go from a regional to an international business.

Our hopes for their demise are premature, I'm afraid.

It would be awesome if a bunch of fans got together and built a huge parking, free parking lot near the stadium. Charge a few food trucks a fee to pay for security and port-o-potties and you'd be all set.

It would be awesome if a bunch of fans got together and built a huge parking, free parking lot near the stadium. Charge a few food trucks a fee to pay for security and port-o-potties and you'd be all set.

The property taxes will kill you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents