PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The JimmyG pick(s)

Just so we can let him go at the end of the season because he will want crazy money at a position that we don't have an immediate need ?

He'd be on his fifth year option at around 8m. As good as Hopkins is there is no space on our offense for a WR on a market setting deal mostly because Brady spreads the ball around enough so no WR can ever be worth that crazy amount of money.

We reportedly almost traded Collins for Hopkins earlier this year. FWIW.

If the pats get the 12th pick from Cleveland and if Deshaun Watson is there, would you guys take him?

We reportedly almost traded Collins for Hopkins earlier this year. FWIW.

Yes I know. But there is a difference between having him for almost two seasons for 9 million in total or just one season for 8 million with no realistic chance of extending him.

Issues for NE

-With 9 current picks
-Fixed $$$ slotted for these picks
-An immense amount of maneuvering required by NE to fit potential 2017 JG draft picks into their rookie cap alotment
-The minimal # of trades out of current draft years into later draft years (recent trend)
-The additional workload required by NE scouts to know the top half of the draft

I have to believe BB would want any trade to be completed well in advance of the draft because of so many moving parts/obstacles. Proactive teams might gain a minor discount if they come to the table early.

Issues for NE

-With 9 current picks
-Fixed $$$ slotted for these picks
-An immense amount of maneuvering required by NE to fit potential 2017 JG draft picks into their rookie cap alotment
-The minimal # of trades out of current draft years into later draft years (recent trend)
-The additional workload required by NE scouts to know the top half of the draft

I have to believe BB would want any trade to be completed well in advance of the draft because of so many moving parts/obstacles. Proactive teams might gain a minor discount if they come to the table early.
It would advantage the acquiring team to get JG in ASAP but the rest I disagree with. Rookie cap numbers come with the pick. As long as it's before the draft we have no issue with the rookie cap. And the scouts, Casserio and Belichick will know the players they like. No extra scouting work needed for more picks.

trade back or Myles Garrett. No-one else should go no 1.

Not sold on Garrett. Honestly think he will be a bust can't see him putting up the numbers of JJ watt. Trade down and get me Hooker/Adams and second rounders and I'd rather have that then Myles Garrett. I think I'm the only person who isn't sold on him. Just can't see him being the player that everyone thinks he will be.

Not sold on Garrett. Honestly think he will be a bust can't see him putting up the numbers of JJ watt. Trade down and get me Hooker/Adams and second rounders and I'd rather have that then Myles Garrett. I think I'm the only person who isn't sold on him. Just can't see him being the player that everyone thinks he will be.

I like Garrett just fine but trading down the first pick of a draft can set you up for at least 2-3 years with so much day1/day2 flexibility that I just don't think any single player is worth it except for an Andrew Luck level QB.

I like Garrett just fine but trading down the first pick of a draft can set you up for at least 2-3 years with so much day1/day2 flexibility that I just don't think any single player is worth it except for an Andrew Luck level QB.
I don't know I'm just not sold on him, I'm not even sure what it is about him but he doesn't scream 1st pick to me. There's not a lot in this draft that do.. anyone who goes top 5/10 could be classed as reaching. This year the value is all in the late 1st and up to the 3rd round. Anyone with plenty of picks in those rounds could build their team for the next 5 years

Fans always say that though but you have to find a trade partner willing to give up lots of picks.

One thing worth pointing out is that, I believe, all the money paid to a first round rookie is guaranteed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That's a lot of risk in a high pick, particularly if picking in the top three. As highlighted by these tweets.

Although I think he's wrong on the safeties. Isn't McCourty guaranteed 28m?

The only consolation of loosing JG to me would be Foster (Howard) + 2018 first to pick a QB high next year.

And even those two come with bigger future Q than JG (Foster injuries w his aggressive undersized playing style; Howard character)

The only consolation of loosing JG to me would be Foster (Howard) + 2018 first to pick a QB high next year.

And even those two come with bigger future Q than JG (Foster injuries w his aggressive undersized playing style; Howard character)

I like those two but I lean towards Jamal Adams, Solomon Thomas or Njoku (I'm fine with Howard though) depending on whether we get the 3 or 12 (Njoku at 12).

I like those two but I lean towards Jamal Adams, Solomon Thomas or Njoku (I'm fine with Howard though) depending on whether we get the 3 or 12 (Njoku at 12).

I thought of trading down to mid 1st and to 2018 (w potentially great QB class).
1. Foster is the player I love the most and believe in the most if he can stay on the field. He could fall to mid round.
2. Its a great TE class but Howard is the only potential alfa Pro Bowl TE w complete game (with Gronk health Id like that - depending on assessment of his character)
3. You have great versatile DB options also further down (Baker, Desmond King, Wilson, Jackson, Williams, Conley, White, Douglas, Awuzie..)
4. If Thomas could fall there .. that would be a big consolation pick as well, no doubt

Fans always say that though but you have to find a trade partner willing to give up lots of picks.

Easier with a top 3 pick than with any other. Not saying you will easily get the biggest haul of all time but just setting yourself up for then next 2-3 years in terms of additional day1/day2 picks is immensely huge.

Easier with a top 3 pick than with any other. Not saying you will easily get the biggest haul of all time but just setting yourself up for then next 2-3 years in terms of additional day1/day2 picks is immensely huge.

Why easier? The cost is more punitive for the trading up team as we've seen in recent years. Unless you're prepared to trade for cents on the dollar. Is Trent Richardson the only top 3 non-QB traded up for in the last few years? Genuine question. I have a lousy memory and am at work so don't have time to research it.

Why easier? The cost is more punitive for the trading up team as we've seen in recent years. Unless you're prepared to trade for cents on the dollar. Is Trent Richardson the only top 3 non-QB traded up for in the last few years? Genuine question. I have a lousy memory and am at work so don't have time to research it.

Because as always there will be someone in the top 8 that is immensely in love with Garrett who didn't think there was any realistic chance to get him. And then the same will happen with the traded top 8 pick and another player.

Will it be the almost criminal haul that the Rams got for RG3 ? No, of course not. But there is a lot of space between a robbery like that and getting "cents on the dollar" like you suggest. It just requires careful navigating and bargaining.

There is no one else I'd trust more to exploit a top 3 pick into future assets than Bill Belichick.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back