PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The GOAT is 9-10 overall in PO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Some Interesting Facts About Peyton Manning in the Playoffs....

Peyton Manning now has more home playoff losses than any other starting quarterback in playoff history: four.

Peyton Manning has lost 8 career playoff games up for grabs in 4th quarter.

In 12 of 19 playoff games The Colts D has given up 21 points or less in regulation. They lost 6 of those 12 games. That's the most prolific waste of defensive effort in the history of the NFL. No other QB has lost more than 3. Mannings winning % in those 11 games is .500; No other QB who has started more than 10 playoff games has a winning % below .600 when their D allows 21 or less in regulation. Most are well above .800.

For reference:
Marino 7-1
Elway 10-1
Brady 12-1
Montana 12-2
Young 4-1
Favre 11-1
Peyton Manning: 6-6

Case closed.

I wasn't letting Manning off the hook in any way. I was talking specifically about what the Pats were able to do v the Jets and what the Colts couldn't. I think you can make a case that Welker-Branch-Hernandez-Gronkowski-Woodhead-BJGE-Tate-Crumpler is a better group of skill players than what the Colts had last night.
If Manning had those players, they would say he was doing it with no one.
Those guys look like a good group in large part because of what they have done WITH BRADY.

Coaching and especially QB play come into it too -- like someone said in Bedard's Globe piece today, it's amazing how Brady is able to keep the options straight and make the right call.

I'd also make the case that what the Pats did v the Jets got into the Colts' heads: Patriots didn't target Revis once on MNF. SO the Colts take that strategy and pretty much ignore Reggie Wayne all night.
Patriots don't really target anyone. They run their plays. If Revis were on an inside receiver he would have seen a lot of throws. I don't think not throwing to Wayne is a big issue yesterday, because he had open receivers. The graphics they were showing indicated a good amount of help for Revis. The idea is to throw to the guy the coverage dictates. If they take Wayne away with scheme and leave someone else open, thats not a great scheme. If Manning hadn't F-ed up 3rd and 1s with poor play calls and with 0 yard throws on 3rd and 1, the Colts would have put up 30 throwing to whoever is open.
The reason Wayne seems to be a better option that their other receivers is that he is the guy open the most. When the defense leaves someone else open and Wayne is covered, they become better than Wayne on that play.
It is very overrated that taking one receiver away is a huge deal. Unless its a guy who is great running after the catch, his value is his ability to get open. If the D allows the other WR to get open, its the same result.

And, by the way: Look back on the first page of this thread. It's pretty clear I dismissed the notion that Manning is GOAT. And what Brady did in '06, with his weapon shortage is waaaaaaaaaay better than what Manning did this year
Of course. There isnt even a debate at this point. I don't think I believed you didnt know that.

The flu excuse? Really?

If players being out or under the weather is an excuse, the Colts had 18 guys on IR this season.

Like I said - Manning played well enough to get the win if his D could keep the opposing offense from scoring with less than a minute left. If I recall correctly, many of the early playoff victories for Brady weren't exactly blowouts.
Manning played well enough to win if his D only allowed 14 points.
He did not play well enough to win if his D allowed 17.
You can rationalize that the D played well enough for his weak offensive effort to be just good enough for 59 1/2 minutes.
Look at it this way. If the game was 49-48 and ended with a missed FG by Vinatieri would you be saying that the defense played well enough to win and it was the offense/kickers fault, and saying the D played well?

It's just typical Peyton Manning postseason choking. I don't understand why so many of you are defending the guy when his team scored 16 points. How are some of you blaming the defense of Indianapolis when they only allowed 17 points?

Manning couldn't get it done...plain and simple. He's a completely different postseason QB from the regular season. We all know that. He's had some recent playoff success, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he still chokes in the playoffs.

That doesnt add up.
You are saying that either Manning is blameless for losing a game he only put up 16 points in, or Brady scoring 14 is one of the biggest chokes ever.
There are millions of miles in between those extremes.

Blah blah blah, more excuses for Manning. Doesn't this repeated theme sound familiar to you, Andy? There's really no excuses in football. You either did your job and won or you didn't. Manning choked on the biggest stage in New Orleans and he was held in check against the Jets, a team they were expected to beat at home. The Colts offense executed poorly, couldn't sustain drives and couldn't score points.

Bottom line, they didn't do enough to win. Peyton can't be considered the greatest of all time because he consistently just can't get it done in the playoffs. Sub .500 playoff record. What is he Norv Turner? Nobody will be considering Norv '1 and done' Turner as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Colts fans comparing this to the 07 SB is hilarious. Brady was lucky to be in one piece in that game, he was sacked 5 times and knocked down on pretty much every single snap. Peyton never saw consistent pressure and seemed content to call running plays on third down, never once putting the game on his shoulders. He didn't play badly, but he wasn't good either. Very misleading stat line, as that 57 yard TD pass skewed his statistics significantly, and apart from that one play he pretty much dumped the ball off to his TE all game long.

Blah blah blah, more excuses for Manning. Doesn't this repeated theme sound familiar to you, Andy? There's really no excuses in football. You either did your job and won or you didn't. Manning choked on the biggest stage in New Orleans and he was held in check against the Jets, a team they were expected to beat at home. The Colts offense executed poorly, couldn't sustain drives and couldn't score points.

Bottom line, they didn't do enough to win. Peyton can't be considered the greatest of all time because he consistently just can't get it done in the playoffs. Sub .500 playoff record. What is he Norv Turner? Nobody will be considering Norv '1 and done' Turner as one of the greatest coaches of all time.
Right, that was my point.
Its the Marino argument to me.
A) Marino is great because he 'carries his team'
B) The only reason Marino didnt win a SB was that he was forced to carry his team

Accept the excuse of B and you lose the value of A.

Pats have already caused him enough torment in the post season. Pounding the Jets on the way to a rematch with a good AFC North is the fitting path for this season. If the Colts ever finally address their run defense, we'll probably see him in the playoffs next year. The Colts were not the nemesis this year. Brady shredding "top defenses" has been the story, and I'm looking forward to the last few chapters. :cool:

Oh, yes, let's not forget what happened the last time the JEST came to Gillette in the playoffs . . . the worst loss in JEST playoff history.

It's just typical Peyton Manning postseason choking. I don't understand why so many of you are defending the guy when his team scored 16 points. How are some of you blaming the defense of Indianapolis when they only allowed 17 points?

Manning couldn't get it done...plain and simple. He's a completely different postseason QB from the regular season. We all know that. He's had some recent playoff success, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he still chokes in the playoffs.

Honestly, the way "choking" has been defined on this thread, any playoff or SB loss, for any reason, is an example of the QB choking.

So, if ya look at Brady since '04...well, you can do the math.

Honestly, the way "choking" has been defined on this thread, any playoff or SB loss, for any reason, is an example of the QB choking.

Peyton Manning didn't "choke" on this game. He is, however, 9-10 all time in the postseason, and that track record of coming up short at the biggest stage is what gave him the label of "choker", so whenever he fails to win in the postseason that word will undoubtedly be uttered.

Brady has won it 3 times and has a stellar postseason record, so even when he has crappy playoff games, or the Patriots are eliminated in january, people won't associate it to a "choke" because he is regarded as a clutch performer. It's pretty simple, really. No one is calling Manning a choker based on the Jets game and the Jets game alone. You can argue the merits of that line of thought, but that's the way it is.

Last edited:
Peyton Manning didn't "choke" on this game. He is, however, 9-10 all time in the postseason, and that track record of coming up short at the biggest stage is what gave him the label of "choker", so whenever he fails to win in the postseason that word will undoubtedly be uttered.

Brady has won it 3 times and has a stellar postseason record, so even when he has crappy playoff games, or the Patriots are eliminated in january, people won't associate it to a "choke" because he is regarded as a clutch performer. It's pretty simple, really. No one is calling Manning a choker based on th Jets game and the Jets game alone. You can argue the merits of that line of thought, but that's the way it is.

Yeah; I get it. Just in the microcosm of this season & the game yesterday, I thought he did a very good job of getting a pretty mediocre team to the playoffs, and getting them in a good position to win the 1st playoff game. I didn't see anything that I would overtly call a "choke."

But I get the history...

Yeah; I get it. Just in the microcosm of this season & the game yesterday, I thought he did a very good job of getting a pretty mediocre team to the playoffs, and getting them in a good position to win the 1st playoff game. I didn't see anything that I would overtly call a "choke."

But I get the history...

To say he choked yesterday is utterly ridiculous. Personally I think he should have put the team on his shoulders a little more, and I believe he tried to shy away from the responsibility a bit, but he still played a good game.

How long have you and Peyton been sleeping together? Seriously, Manning was healthy, his top 2 receivers were healthy, his top RB was healthy, and Tamme's been an admirable replacement at TE, and he only managed to put up 16 points.

Last edited:
i cant believe mannings post season record is so bad! Obviously it is a team game, but when you have the "goat" qb or the qb who is the "best" in this past decade, 9-10? Really?

Mannings team might not have been that great this year with the injuries, but look at what brady did in 2006.

16 points and people have the gaul to say it wasnt his fault. He didn't get touched all game either. He was playing in his little dome too.

Another playoff CHOKE. 9-10, 7 one and dones.

:rofl:

To say he choked yesterday is utterly ridiculous. Personally I think he should have put the team on his shoulders a little more, and I believe he tried to shy away from the responsibility a bit, but he still played a good game.

You're kidding right? The guy was responsible for scoring 16 points. The Colts defense played a good game. Manning didn't get it done plain and simple. The numbers he put up look OK from a statistical standpoint, but once again he only put up 16 points.

16 points and people have the gaul to say it wasnt his fault. He didn't get touched all game either. He was playing in his little dome too.

Another playoff CHOKE. 9-10, 7 one and dones.

:rofl:

Fitzy just called. He asked, "Don't you mean sh***y?" :)

the running play on 3rd and long which failed was definitely on him...he selected the wrong play...doesn't he study a lot? how come he can make this kind of mistake? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe