PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The GOAT is 9-10 overall in PO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manning could have played better but in the end the Jets were the better team.

Manning could have played better but in the end the Jets were the better team.

This loss by the Colts isn't on Manning but it's the type of game that a truly great QB could have and should have won.
Colts are at home, ALL the playoff expectation pressure is on the Jets, Sanchez was awful all night.......Peyton Manning had a free pass, a pressure free mulligan because nobody had any SB expectations for the Colts this year and he still couldn't get it done.

It's just like the rest of his playoff losses. No, it's not completely his fault, but at the same time this isn't the dominant playmaker showing up in the playoffs that some still insist is the best in the game. Perfect example when you're down by 4 and about 5 minutes left in the game, you know your defense if playing like crap. And you opt to run the ball on 3rd and 7. I understand it worked previously but we're talking about one of the 2 or 3 plays that define the game here and he put the ball in Dominic Rhodes hands instead of his. This is why he has a losing record in the playoffs, you can't put it all on the defense. How many 3 and outs did that defense force in the first half? How many POINTS did they allow in the first half? Manning should have given his team a comfortable lead before they got it rolling.

This loss by the Colts isn't on Manning but it's the type of game that a truly great QB could have and should have won.

His team was down 14-13. He drove them down the field and put them in position to win the game. They were successful. It is not his fault their D collapsed. Gotta give the Jets D some credit here. They played their best game in about 2 months. If the Dolts hang on, people are signing a different tune.

Colts are at home, ALL the playoff expectation pressure is on the Jets, Sanchez was awful all night.......Peyton Manning had a free pass, a pressure free mulligan because nobody had any SB expectations for the Colts this year and he still couldn't get it done.

Pressure free? If there is one thing you must give Manning credit for is that he puts too much pressure on himself to be the man- which has a great deal to do with his lack of playoff success. Part of it is coaching. Part of it is personnel.

Manning completed a lot of passes but didn't really play that well. He made a lot of bad decisions, and a lot of his changes at the line weren't very effective.

His team wasn't very good, but that wasn't Manning's best game either.

Fun fact. With this loss, Manning is the only SB winning QB to carry a losing record overall in post-season play. Jim McMahon is the next closest at 3-3....

Cool stat. Think about it: You can only get one layoff loss per year, but up to four wins. So the year the Colts won it, that's 4-0, leaving him 5-9 in other years.

not his fault his D stinks..

This same excuse has been used for over a decade when the Colts lose. He gets all the credit when they win, the D gets all the blame when they lose.

16, 17, 0, 14, 3, 18, 24, 17, 17, 16

Those are the 10 point totals the Colts offense produced in the playoff losses on Peyton's resume. That is a consistent pattern of underproducing over a decade long. Other than maybe the 28-24 loss to the Chargers in 2007, you can't make the case that the Colts offense did their job in any of the losses.

I was surprised the number of times they ran the ball on third down to kill drives. Cannot see that happening here. If you have a big gun, shoot it.

Last edited:
I was surprised the number of times they ran the ball on third down to kill drives. Cannot see that happening here. If you have a big gun, shoot it.

Definitely not. Pats won by keeping away from Revis; Colts didn't have enough go-to guys to pull that off. That said I do think the Pats can get more out of the running game than the Colts did.

Definitely not. Pats won by keeping away from Revis; Colts didn't have enough go-to guys to pull that off. That said I do think the Pats can get more out of the running game than the Colts did.

Poor coaching and playcalling really hurt Indy as well. Calling timeouts with 29 sec left??? Ug. I give credit to Revis but for your best offensive player (besides the QB) to have only one catch in a playoff game is unacceptable. Put the guy in motion. Set up a WR screen. Do something to keep the Jets honest on that side of the field. By making him a non-threat, that really hurt the Colts offense. See Moss.

In a sense, I put a lot of blame on Caldwell, Clyde Christensen and especially Manning. That was awful.

Last edited:
This same excuse has been used for over a decade when the Colts lose. He gets all the credit when they win, the D gets all the blame when they lose.

16, 17, 0, 14, 3, 18, 24, 17, 17, 16

Those are the 10 point totals the Colts offense produced in the playoff losses on Peyton's resume. That is a consistent pattern of underproducing over a decade long. Other than maybe the 28-24 loss to the Chargers in 2007, you can't make the case that the Colts offense did their job in any of the losses.

That's a really good point. And considering the resources they've dedicated to the offense, it's more than fair to say the offense should carry more of the weight.

The low production in PO has an explanation. Not everyday you play again the bottom 3 secondaries in the league( Texans, Jags, Titans) . Last time Brady faced the Jags he missed 2 passes( 2 Ben Watson drops, BTW) . Manning numbers in regular season are on *.

Poor coaching and playcalling really hurt Indy as well. Calling timeouts with 29 sec left??? Ug. ...

That shot of Manning, standing behind Caldwell when the TO was called and putting his arms out in the WTF position for just a second, was priceless. Almost felt bad for Manning there.

That shot of Manning, standing behind Caldwell when the TO was called and putting his arms out in the WTF position for just a second, was priceless. Almost felt bad for Manning there.

Yeah, what was the point of that???

The Jets seemed content to try their long FG. They only had 1 timeout left, ran LT for 2 yards, then looked like they'd let the clock run down and call their timeout and kick.

Instead, they get a free stoppage of time, take a shot and pick up 18 yards of field position, making it a 32-yard attempt instead of a 50-yard attempt.

I laughed when they threw up the graphic, "Jim Caldwell has been to the NFL playoffs in every year as a coach."

Jim Caldwell= KC Jones. Great guys. They know the game. Players respect him but hes a checker player.....

Last edited:
I laughed when they threw up the graphic, "Jim Caldwell has been to the NFL playoffs in every year as a coach."

Jim Caldwell= KC Jones. Great guys. They know the game. Players respect him but hes a checker player.....
I didn't see that but that is the funniest thing ever. That dude never speaks at all. He just stands there looking slightly befuddled the entire time. I almost wonder if he has his IPod streaming in through his headphones.

OK, I did see him say "Throw a flag!". But that was it.

I also thought it was funny when they put up the graphic that said "Nick Folk says his range is 56 yards." Cool, Nick, we'll just take your word for it.

you know what andy, we will see next week.. wright wont play, this week, pryor deaderick and hernadez are a big ? at best.. so we will see.. i just dont want to hear more jets stuff from ny radio another week.. it could be trouble.. both teams will have the same time to prepare...

Yeah, we'll definitely miss Hernandez' tackling.

Same old story for that franchise. A couple of huge mental mistakes down the stretch; Manning outthinks himself. Not sure how you can have an all-pro WR who goes for 1500 yards on the season and take him out of the game before it starts.

However, the most satisfying part of the game is the long-term implications for the Jets. Now that Sanchez has achieved cult-status for beating Manning, there is no way he'll ever be benched, and Sanchez will now be "the guy." That is good news for divisional rivals, considering that he's in the bottom five starting QBs in the NFL.

A sign featuring a large foot with the three superbowl rings on the toes...and below in large letters "KISS THE RINGS"

And lick the toe jam and fromunder cheese from them!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye