PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The GOAT is 9-10 overall in PO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same old story for that franchise. A couple of huge mental mistakes down the stretch; Manning outthinks himself. Not sure how you can have an all-pro WR who goes for 1500 yards on the season and take him out of the game before it starts.

Wayne agrees with you: "I was irrelevant."

"I give everything I've got no matter what. Every day, I give it everything. And . . . one ball, that's all."

It's almost like you root for the Pats to lose.

I guess the fans are getting into the 0-0 bit. I remember when the Pats were 0-0 at the beginning of the season and most fans thought the record for 2010 was going to be somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7. Same mindset rears its head again. Have you guys even watched this team this year?

Almost?

Pessimistic Pete isn't a quarter as pessimistic as Sean pa is and the word is in his friggin handle.

Hmm I live 30 minutes from Indiana so I get all of the colts games but I have to ask have any of you watched them this year? They were terrible all season and they barely made it into the playoffs. I kinda had a feeling the Jets would win but gave benefit of the doubt becasue the Colts were at home. Manning was not an all star this year so I knew he would stink it up in the playoffs. He's just lucky he had no picks. And this myth that Manning runs the offense is just that, a myth. The playcalling was atricious and not utilizing his number 1 reciever is ridiculous. Revis is good but he's not that good. How do you not even attempt to throw to Wayne. It was vanilla offense all night. The Colts were just not that good this year. And that game helped show why.

Definitely not. Pats won by keeping away from Revis; Colts didn't have enough go-to guys to pull that off. That said I do think the Pats can get more out of the running game than the Colts did.
I'm so sick of hearing that crap. The Jets put receivers on the field who can run those routes that the Jets don't cover. One of them was open on the last 3rd down and Manning bounced it to him.
You dont need a Hall of Fame receiver to run a freaking route. If they made the routine plays (including Manning not calling runs into the strength of the D or throwing zero yard passes on 3rd and 1) they would have scored 30 points last night.
You can't talking about Manning in the GOAT debate and then say he is excused from blame because he wasnt overloaded with talent surrounding him.
You are either the best and you overcome that stuff, or you need help and cant overcome not having it and dont belong in the conversation.

Are we really saying he had great excuses that the GOAT couldnt overcome in 7 one and dones?

you know what andy, we will see next week.. wright wont play, this week, pryor deaderick and hernadez are a big ? at best.. so we will see.. i just dont want to hear more jets stuff from ny radio another week.. it could be trouble.. both teams will have the same time to prepare...
What are you talking about?
We will see next week if our DL, missing Wright and Pryor was healthy last time?
Thats what you said.
We can see TODAY that you were wrong, and the DL is equally healthy.
Why are Pryor and Deaderick big ? and what does Hernandez have to do with the DL?

I think there is a big difference between a QB playing poorly and causing his team to lose and playing well but still coming up on the losing end.

I would agree that Manning has played poorly in most of his playoff losses but I don't think that was the case here. One could argue that putting up only 16 points is a poor performance, especially considering the game was indoors where weather wasn't a factor but you must also consider that the Jets brought their "A" game on defense and used a very effective ball control offense to limit Peyton's opportunities, especially in the second half.

All in all, I'd give Peyton a pass on this one. Criticizing this type of loss diminishes well earned criticism when he actually plays poorly.
Did the Jets bring their A game or did Manning fail (with play call and/or exection) on 3rd down, even 3rd and 1 all day?

I'm so sick of hearing that crap. The Jets put receivers on the field who can run those routes that the Jets don't cover. One of them was open on the last 3rd down and Manning bounced it to him.
You dont need a Hall of Fame receiver to run a freaking route. If they made the routine plays (including Manning not calling runs into the strength of the D or throwing zero yard passes on 3rd and 1) they would have scored 30 points last night.
You can't talking about Manning in the GOAT debate and then say he is excused from blame because he wasnt overloaded with talent surrounding him.
You are either the best and you overcome that stuff, or you need help and cant overcome not having it and dont belong in the conversation.

Are we really saying he had great excuses that the GOAT couldnt overcome in 7 one and dones?

I wasn't letting Manning off the hook in any way. I was talking specifically about what the Pats were able to do v the Jets and what the Colts couldn't. I think you can make a case that Welker-Branch-Hernandez-Gronkowski-Woodhead-BJGE-Tate-Crumpler is a better group of skill players than what the Colts had last night.

Coaching and especially QB play come into it too -- like someone said in Bedard's Globe piece today, it's amazing how Brady is able to keep the options straight and make the right call.

I'd also make the case that what the Pats did v the Jets got into the Colts' heads: Patriots didn't target Revis once on MNF. SO the Colts take that strategy and pretty much ignore Reggie Wayne all night.

And, by the way: Look back on the first page of this thread. It's pretty clear I dismissed the notion that Manning is GOAT. And what Brady did in '06, with his weapon shortage is waaaaaaaaaay better than what Manning did this year

Last edited:
Lots of nitpicky stuff on this thread. Manning played a solid game, and drove the Colts down for what should have been the game winner.

How many times has Brady done that in his career and be able to rely on a D to hold the lead w/ a minute left?

Not saying Manning is the GOAT, because he's not, but it's silly to put a loss like yesterday's on him. He had 3 possessions in the 2nd half...

Lots of nitpicky stuff on this thread. Manning played a solid game, and drove the Colts down for what should have been the game winner.

How many times has Brady done that in his career and be able to rely on a D to hold the lead w/ a minute left?

Not saying Manning is the GOAT, because he's not, but it's silly to put a loss like yesterday's on him. He had 3 possessions in the 2nd half...

Pats had the ball for 19 minutes against the Pack in a game to clinch the #1 seed and scored 31. Closers close.

By itself, Manning's game is no big deal. But given the totality of his playoff performances/record, it's just par for the course.

They scored 16 points at home against Mark Sanchez at his worst. They scored one TD at home against the #6 seed, a team that struggled down the stretch.

How can you not put this loss on Manning and the offense?

Pats had the ball for 19 minutes against the Pack in a game to clinch the #1 seed and scored 31. Closers close.

By itself, Manning's game is no big deal. But given the totality of his playoff performances/record, it's just par for the course.

Pretty good case in point; your D made the stop at the end. The Colts D didn't.

Some Interesting Facts About Peyton Manning in the Playoffs....

Peyton Manning now has more home playoff losses than any other starting quarterback in playoff history: four.

Peyton Manning has lost 8 career playoff games up for grabs in 4th quarter.

In 12 of 19 playoff games The Colts D has given up 21 points or less in regulation. They lost 6 of those 12 games. That's the most prolific waste of defensive effort in the history of the NFL. No other QB has lost more than 3. Mannings winning % in those 11 games is .500; No other QB who has started more than 10 playoff games has a winning % below .600 when their D allows 21 or less in regulation. Most are well above .800.

For reference:
Marino 7-1
Elway 10-1
Brady 12-1
Montana 12-2
Young 4-1
Favre 11-1
Peyton Manning: 6-6

Last edited:
Pretty good case in point; your D made the stop at the end. The Colts D didn't.

The D gave up 7 points less than their season average, but the O scored about 10 points lower.

Unless you're up by a bunch or you score with no time left, the D always has to make a stop. That's not an excuse. It's not for Brady in SB 42, and it's not for Manning pretty much all the time.

Regular Season Peyton just doesn't show up in the playoffs, unless he's playing Denver or the other team has the flu.

The D gave up 7 points less than their season average, but the O scored about 10 points lower.

Unless you're up by a bunch or you score with no time left, the D always has to make a stop. That's not an excuse. It's not for Brady in SB 42, and it's not for Manning pretty much all the time.

Regular Season Peyton just doesn't show up in the playoffs, unless he's playing Denver or the other team has the flu.

The flu excuse? Really?

If players being out or under the weather is an excuse, the Colts had 18 guys on IR this season.

Like I said - Manning played well enough to get the win if his D could keep the opposing offense from scoring with less than a minute left. If I recall correctly, many of the early playoff victories for Brady weren't exactly blowouts.

The flu excuse? Really?

If players being out or under the weather is an excuse, the Colts had 18 guys on IR this season.

Like I said - Manning played well enough to get the win if his D could keep the opposing offense from scoring with less than a minute left. If I recall correctly, many of the early playoff victories for Brady weren't exactly blowouts.

Yeah, but they were wins.

Here's a timely thread: Manning in the playoffs

There's also another one floating around about his success when he has a Top 5 defense.

Manning is a fail in the playoffs

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Peyton Manning in the Playoffs....

Peyton Manning now has more home playoff losses than any other starting quarterback in playoff history: four.

In 12 of 19 playoff games The Colts D has given up 21 points or less in regulation. They lost 6 of those 12 games. That's the most prolific waste of defensive effort in the history of the NFL. No other QB has lost more than 3. Mannings winning % in those 11 games is .500; No other QB who has started more than 10 playoff games has a winning % below .600 when their D allows 21 or less in regulation. Most are well above .800.

For reference:
Marino 7-1
Elway 10-1
Brady 12-1
Montana 12-2
Young 4-1
Favre 11-1

Interesting, hadn't seen it broken down like this before. thanks.

Yeah, we'll definitely miss Hernandez' tackling.

Look at Reiss' defense stats. Hernandez was in at safety on 2 plays. I'm assuming he took over the Randy Moss Hail Mary last line of defense role after Mr. Moss took his act on the road......

Re: Some Interesting Facts About Peyton Manning in the Playoffs....

For reference:
Marino 7-1
Elway 10-1
Brady 12-1
Montana 12-2
Young 4-1
Favre 11-1

Great stuff !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back