PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Giants, The Super Bowl, The FEAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow really? We wont revoke your fan status for a negative comment about Brady. He said himself he "sucked". That deep ball to Matt Slater in double coverage was a bonehead play. You'll probably try to rationalize it, I don't know why.

I made negative comments about Brady, he made 3 poor throws.
Brady will always say he sucked if he makes 3 poor throws that turn into key plays.
There was not double coverage. Go watch the play. Slater had inside position on a post route. Pollard was behind him, Smith was 5 yards further outside, not a threat at all to the reciever.
If Brady throws the ball to the left hash, Pollard has no chance to make a play and its a TD. Instead he threw it to the right hash, and Pollard had to fully extend to touch the ball.
I understand guys like you search to find things to criticize, but try something new, go to NFL.com and watch the replay of the play you are MISdescribing and learn something.
Saying Brady made a bad decision or a bad throw is eqaully critical.
Of course, I'm trying to be accurate. I'm not sure what you are trying for.

Under 30? I'd say we need to keep them in the 20-24 range, maybe better. Not saying we can't do it but we can't rely on scoring over 30 on that D

Not to disparage your opinion but your feeling is the target audience the OP was aiming for. When you say "that D", you are speaking of a D that is not on par with a D that we just put 23 up on with a -2 TO ratio. That isn't my hunch, that is a quantifiable conclusion.
The Patriot no huddle attack is a force that, imho, will only be slowed by our own error or a poor OL performance. I did quite a bit of freeze framing on the NFL Replay and I give credit to the Raven D. Frequently their coverage was damn good. They closed on receivers lighting fast and limited YAC as well as I have seen any team do all year (HUGE credit for how well Baltimore limited YAC). Yet we still had 5 long RZ drives. I feel very confident in saying the Giants will not have coverage and not limit YAC like I saw the Ravens do.
I do not see any way we will not put up 30+ unless a poor OL performance or too many TOs (like against the Ravens).

Last edited:
Stop the video at 5 seconds. Smith looks in good position to me.

For the situation in the game, complete bonehead play.

Smith is 5 yards outside the receiver. His only possible impact on the play is a tipped ball.
Pollard is OUTSIDE a player running to the post.
There is no way a QB can not make that decision on that play call unless they never intended to carry out the play as called.
The primary target was a deep post. The receiver had inside leverage and there wasn't another defender on the field in position to challenge the throw.
Sadly, Brady threw it back inside.

The Giants aren't the second coming of the 85 Bears on defense, i'm concerned but thats about it.

Ravens at Patriots Highlights: Brady is intercepted by Rookie CB Jimmy Smith in the 4th Quarter - YouTube

If Brady would of thrown that ball more to his left it is a TD.It sould of negated double coverage and Slater would of had his defender beat going to the inside. Bad throw, the mediots have it wrong again. Not boneheaded, just a sucky throw.

And its not really double coverage, Smith is simply trailing the play.
Remove Pollard from the picture and smith has the worst coverage you have ever seen. At no point does he even attempt to play double coverage on Slater, it looks like a zone and he has the deep outside 1/3. He only ends up in the play because he runs to the ball when its in the air.

I will admit that Andy is a lot closer to being right than I initially thought.

There wasn't necessarily double coverage at all, and I still don't agree with the call at the time, but it was definitely Brady who made a horrible throw.

I think this is what happens when there is a lack of chemistry with your WR.

In this case, I may have actually preferred Ochocinco out there on that route...really anyone but Slater, but then that negates the whole 'speed' factor.

I guess it wasn't as bad of a playcall as I first thought, but it certainly was a poor decision and throw by Brady.

Last edited:
Not following you Andy, my opinion is back a few pages

OK. I tohght you were saying Brady must have played badly because the callins are saying so. I must have misunderstood you.

There wasn't necessarily double coverage at all, and I still don't agree with the call at the time, but it was definitely Brady who made a horrible throw.

In this case, I may have actually preferred Ochocinco out there on that route...really anyone but Slater, but then that negates the whole 'speed' factor.

I guess it wasn't as bad of a playcall as I first thought, but it certainly was a poor decision and throw by Brady.

It certainly was a bad throw, but I don't think you can say bad decision.
With that play call, the QB is instructed to look at Slater as the 1st read. When he has inside position running a post and there is no other defender on the field that could threaten the throw, he would have to just say FU to the play call to not throw it.
Given that a TD ends the game, I don't know how you would want a QB whose lack of balls would cause him to be afraid to throw a 50 yard pass to an open reciever.

I dont think they do it with any other reciever other than Slater, they needed speed, hes the fastest guy we have. I still think that its a good percentage play unless its a really bad throw, even then it took a great athletic play and a tip to be intercepted.

OK. I tohght you were saying Brady must have played badly because the callins are saying so. I must have misunderstood you.

No, Cmass was bad mouthing all the Negative Nancy mouth breathers calling into sports radio and crying that the Pats have no chance in this game.

The Raven secondary was very good on Sunday. They closed the passing lanes into narrow gaps. I have to wonder if the Giants secondary can do the same? Pats offensive line handled their front 7 handily which I think bodes well for this team in 2 weeks.

Agreed. The NFL replay is better in a way because it gives frequent secondary replay of the play with a field view. A pause and slo mo with the DVR revealed tight coverage frequently. The more I watch it the more I understand why TB had some of the mistakes. The Raven defense certainly have earned their reputation.

The other thing I would say is IF the Giants play D as well as the Ravens did, congratulations to the SB winning Giants. They just played their best D of the year in the biggest game of the year. The difference with Baltimore is the D they played against the Patriots is their norm. And for those who think it was Raven like D that allowed the Giants to beat GB, I suggest re-watching that game. GB was in full on bonehead, give it away mode that was unforced in many ways.

Brady's done an amazing job this season, especially coming down the stretch with those comebacks and playing lights out against the Donkeys never mind a 5th SB appearance. I don't mind the name calling personally, just a bit of color commentary but don't expect others not to react.

that's all:eat1:

What choices were boneheaeded?

1) Long Bomb to Slater. Replay shows WW on a crossing pattern, open to the right, for probably a 9 or 10 yard gain (the Patriots probably only needed another two first downs to secure the victory).

2) 3rd and 10 from the 11, Brady throws to WW who is covered like a blanket. AH is quite open at the 4 and probably gets the first down if not the TD

3) Brady misses a VERY open Gronkowski for the TD

4) Brady misses a fairly open AH for a long gainer

5) Brady underthrows to Edelman for the Int. Edelman is covered underneath and sorta over the top. Underneath to (I think) WW is semi open for a 4 or 5 yard gain.

6) Brady throws too quickly with 2 mins to go to a covered AH. No pass rush at all. Ravens had 10 men on the line and were playing the quick coverage gamble. Holding the ball a second or two longer and open receivers would have been likely.....game over.

I hate being in the position to have to prove TB played sub par. And after re-watching the game and seeing the Raven D in action, I am more apt to say TB played better considering the conditions the opposition were creating.

Yes, I don't think that the Ravens are the best team to come up with enough of a sample size from, obviously due to their #1 ranking in the RZ.

I believe that those issues are indeed, very correctable, and expect them to be much better next Sunday night. We certainly need TD's, not FG's...sometimes with all of this 'overanalysis' that can be done leading up to the game, it remains to be that simple.

Score TD's, not FG's..hold them to FG's, not TD's..

And don't turn the ball over.

Those 2 factors will go a long way into determining this game, and many others after it. Unfortunately, there's only one game remaining. The good thing is that we've got to follow the NFL with both eyes open through the whole entire process this yr. I would hate the thought of losing another SB again though, not to mention the fact that it would be against the same team.

I agree. And I would also use your post to circle back to the point of the OP. What you spell out above is not a dreadfully high hill to climb, not at all. I remain perplexed as to why so many fans are joining in to play the part of the frightened masses. They are imagining this unstoppable juggernaut Giants team. Where "that D" is so scary our very potent Patriot O won't be able to move the ball on them. It simply flies in the face of the evidence.

As to the scoring TDs and keeping them to FGs, I am counting on the O to do what they did against the Ravens. Many long drives that limit the Giant possessions and keeps their D on the field. IMHO it all starts with the O. If the O doesn't do what they can and should do, the Patriots are in deep trouble.

I agree. And I would also use your post to circle back to the point of the OP. What you spell out above is not a dreadfully high hill to climb, not at all. I remain perplexed as to why so many fans are joining in to play the part of the frightened masses. They are imagining this unstoppable juggernaut Giants team. Where "that D" is so scary our very potent Patriot O won't be able to move the ball on them. It simply flies in the face of the evidence.

As to the scoring TDs and keeping them to FGs, I am counting on the O to do what they did against the Ravens. Many long drives that limit the Giant possessions and keeps their D on the field. IMHO it all starts with the O. If the O doesn't do what they can and should do, the Patriots are in deep trouble.

I bet I have a good clue as to who wrote your signature post.

Give me a hint...just one hint.

I bet I have a good clue as to who wrote your signature post.

Give me a hint...just one hint.

If you are talking about my signature, that's funny......but it wasn't an AndyJ post.

Ironically his post was in response to someone saying Brady sucks and has sucked since his 08 injury. The post was so inane it deserved a slap in the head comeback. That comeback is now my signature :D

Last edited:
If you are talking about my signature, that's funny......but it wasn't an AndyJ post.

Ironically his post was in response to someone saying Brady sucks and has sucked since his 08 injury. The post was so inane it deserved a slap in the head comeback. That comeback is now my signature :D

Nooooo. Not even remotely close to who I thought it may be.

Andy Johnson is a great poster. A bit of a homer in many people's eyes, but he is respectful, fair, and very knowledgable. I think he's one of the better posters on the forum.

I had a feeling it may have been someone who is well-known to throw out insults at the drop of a hat.

gee...I wonder who THAT could be, Supafly?

Nooooo. Not even remotely close to who I thought it may be.

Andy Johnson is a great poster. A bit of a homer in many people's eyes, but he is respectful, fair, and very knowledgable. I think he's one of the better posters on the forum.

I had a feeling it may have been someone who is well-known to throw out insults at the drop of a hat.

Because the thread was knee deep in AndyJ vs other posters, I incorrectly assumed you must be thinking of him ((On a side note, I do see some 'less than friendly' posts throw his way....but I agree 100% with your view on his posting))
I believe the poster was DaBruinz (not 100% sure but I do believe it was him).
Is the blond in your avatar an earlier pic of Scarlett Johansson? (it's going to be a slow week :D)

No fear here. I think the Patriots are going to win this game on most fronts. I think Belichik wins the coaching battle, the Patriots win the battles in the trenches, and Brady is the MVP once again. I have a great feeling about this game, hopefully it's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back