PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Giants, The Super Bowl, The FEAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat unrelated, but I do get the feeling sometimes Brady does get the itch time to time to 'unleash the dragon' to quote a wonderful meme. (Rex Grossman circa Bears '06)

He hasn't had anyone to go deep to in quite some time, and I would think that's probably one of the more satisfying ways to score a touchdown. That and all the 'dink and dunk' criticism must annoy him, considering he lit up the league in 07 with long bombs.

Here's hoping Slater develops or we find someone else to relieve that itch next season. Hopefully pick #32.

not to get over-emotional or anything but here's how I feel about this game...

KILL KILL KILL!!!!!!!

for those of you who have bad eyes....here...try THIS...

kill-kill-kill.jpg

Because the thread was knee deep in AndyJ vs other posters, I incorrectly assumed you must be thinking of him ((On a side note, I do see some 'less than friendly' posts throw his way....but I agree 100% with your view on his posting))
I believe the poster was DaBruinz (not 100% sure but I do believe it was him).
Is the blond in your avatar an earlier pic of Scarlett Johansson? (it's going to be a slow week :D)

Yeah, that's ScarJo alright...

Now that I am married, I suppose that I should change it, and lose the obsession that went with it :cool:

I agree, it is going to be a long 2 weeks ;)

Somewhat unrelated, but I do get the feeling sometimes Brady does get the itch time to time to 'unleash the dragon' to quote a wonderful meme. (Rex Grossman circa Bears '06)

He hasn't had anyone to go deep to in quite some time, and I would think that's probably one of the more satisfying ways to score a touchdown. That and all the 'dink and dunk' criticism must annoy him, considering he lit up the league in 07 with long bombs.

Here's hoping Slater develops or we find someone else to relieve that itch next season. Hopefully pick #32.

After reviewing the replay, I have changed my mind to some degree.

I think their thoughts were that "if Reed comes up to the line or mid-range LB area, you may want to consider a shot downfield." While he may not have come all the way up as I am thinking, he at least stayed on the other side of the field, so the thought remains that they liked their matchup.

Since they did so much of their pre-snap adjustments and reads based on Reed's locality, this makes a lot of sense.

As some others have pointed out, if Brady puts the ball a bit to the left, he has a pretty good shot at a TD. However, this is part of the problem IMO that goes with poor chemistry with Slater.

As far as the thoughts of a stretch the field WR go, I certainly believe that issue will be addressed. I am quite sure that they expected a bit more out of #85, and we should probably explore that option during free agency or via the draft (hopefully not, if past indicators are a clue at WR).

I think the potential for a long(er) range WR will be there come the 2012 season.

I think their thoughts were that "if Reed comes up to the line or mid-range LB area, you may want to consider a shot downfield." While he may not have come all the way up as I am thinking, he at least stayed on the other side of the field, so the thought remains that they liked their matchup.

Since they did so much of their pre-snap adjustments and reads based on Reed's locality, this makes a lot of sense.

As some others have pointed out, if Brady puts the ball a bit to the left, he has a pretty good shot at a TD. However, this is part of the problem IMO that goes with poor chemistry with Slater.

As far as the thoughts of a stretch the field WR go, I certainly believe that issue will be addressed. I am quite sure that they expected a bit more out of #85, and we should probably explore that option during free agency or via the draft (hopefully not, if past indicators are a clue at WR).

I think the potential for a long(er) range WR will be there come the 2012 season.

Since week 9(last 10 games TB's throw 5INTs, 3 went to Tiquan, Edelman and Slater guy's he hadn't built any chemistry with. Can't recall who the other to passes were intended for. Not taking the blame off TB, just spreading it out a bit.:p

The risk-reward doesn't justify it imho. First, when you are throwing it that far, the ability to put it a bit to the left has a low percentage chance of success. Second, the Patriots had been, almost at will, moving the ball into scoring position with short to medium passes. Why go away from what was working? Lastly, as I watched these plays a bit too much using DVR, WW had a very high percentage chance of success being open about 7 yards from the LOS to the right (on a crossing pattern). The Patriots would then have a very high probability of a first down or a second and short. Again, why not go with what has been working to run out the clock versus a low percentage play that also brings a higher percentage of interception?

The one thing I liked is Slater took 2 guys with him completely out of the play. That leaves our 4 best - Gronk, AH, WW and Branch - being covered by 5 defenders in a large swath of field with great YAC possibilities.

The risk-reward doesn't justify it imho. First, when you are throwing it that far, the ability to put it a bit to the left has a low percentage chance of success. Second, the Patriots had been, almost at will, moving the ball into scoring position with short to medium passes. Why go away from what was working? Lastly, as I watched these plays a bit too much using DVR, WW had a very high percentage chance of success being open about 7 yards from the LOS to the right (on a crossing pattern). The Patriots would then have a very high probability of a first down or a second and short. Again, why not go with what has been working to run out the clock versus a low percentage play that also brings a higher percentage of interception?

The one thing I liked is Slater took 2 guys with him completely out of the play. That leaves our 4 best - Gronk, AH, WW and Branch - being covered by 5 defenders in a large swath of field with great YAC possibilities.

I'm not a psychologist and I don't even play one on TV, but there's also the psychological aspect to this turnover. Another risk from an interception was giving the Ravens a tremendous psychological lift. Flacco has just thrown a pick and maybe the seed of doubt was entering the minds of the Ravens: The idea that Flacco really couldn't get it done.

It seems huge to me that the Pats needed to be very careful with the ball and let the Ravens stew in that doubt, while moving the ball down the field and taking time off the clock. How much more crushing would it have been for the Pats to have killed time and gotten a TD after a long drive. Then the game is truly over as there is less time for a comeback and the Ravens belief in Flacco remains shaken.

This seems to me to be the essence of BB's situational football and a bomb to a receiver TB rarely has thrown to goes away from that situational awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back