PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Full Seven Round Order

This doesn't add up. Looks like 1, 2, 3, early 4, early-mid 4, 6, 6 and 7. :confused: Where did the second 4 come from?

Those are two late fourths. The second came as a compensatory pick.

Those are two late fourths. The second came as a compensatory pick.

Wow. I've been busy, and just saw this. Wasn't expecting a late 4th round comp pick. In a draft this deep, that has some real value.

After our customary trade down, we'll prob have two second's, 2 third's and 2 fourth's. In no particular order I'd like; de, dt, c/g, s, olb, te with those first 6. Then, another OL and RB in the sixth. Maybe, another olb in the 7th.

Wow. I've been busy, and just saw this. Wasn't expecting a late 4th round comp pick. In a draft this deep, that has some real value.

It also gives them much more wiggle room to trade around with their other picks without leaving huge gaps in the draft.

The value of that forth can not be overstated really in a draft like this.

I was so excited to hear we got it.

You can make an argument for trading up even more now as i don't think we really need all 8 of these picks & the UDFA class will have a certain amount of value as well.

The value of that forth can not be overstated really in a draft like this.

I was so excited to hear we got it.

You can make an argument for trading up even more now as i don't think we really need all 8 of these picks & the UDFA class will have a certain amount of value as well.

The UDFA class will have a ton of value, especially in a draft this deep. I could see bringing in a dozen guys who realistically have a shot at seriously competing for a roster spot.

One thought: if a Mallett trade is somehow actually a possibility (which we may not know until draft day), that 4th round comp pick might allow the team to get a quality replacement prospect. Guys like Logan Thomas, David Fales, maybe even Aaron Murray, would probably be long gone by the 6th round, but could be available.

One thought: if a Mallett trade is somehow actually a possibility (which we may not know until draft day), that 4th round comp pick might allow the team to get a quality replacement prospect. Guys like Logan Thomas, David Fales, maybe even Aaron Murray, would probably be long gone by the 6th round, but could be available.

Thinking about this one some more ...

I assume that something like Mallett to Texas for #33 isn't going to happen. But is it completely far-fetched that on draft day, the 4 top QBs end up going in the top 15 picks (Carr could be a riser) and someone reaches for Jimmy Garroppolo late 1st/early 2nd round, and then by the mid/late 2nd or even early 3rd round a QB-needy team looks at the remaining options and doesn't like them? What if a team like Oakland picking at 67 offered BB that pick and a conditional 2015 pick, and there was someone on the Pats' draft board who BB liked a lot who looked to be available?

For example, suppose the draft went like this:

- 29: Pats take a DT. Call it Ra'Shede Hageman for now.
- Around pick 60 or so, Oakland calls the Pats. Troy Niklas is still on the board, as well as a couple of OL prospects that BB likes (say Joel Bitonio and Weston Richburg, of argument's sake).
- BB takes the trade, takes Niklas at 62, then one of the linemen at 67.

At this point, BB has addressed 3 major needs, and he could possibly use 93 on Zach Mettenberger or AJ McCarron and then double up on defense at 130/140, or take a defensive player at 93 (Jordan Tripp/Christian Jones, for example) and get someone like Aaron Murray at 130/140.

Having that extra draft pick and knowing that you should be able to get a solid player who can come in and be a backup QB could have a big impact on making such a trade. Still a long shot, but perhaps a bit less of one.

Thinking about this one some more ...

I assume that something like Mallett to Texas for #33 isn't going to happen. But is it completely far-fetched that on draft day, the 4 top QBs end up going in the top 15 picks (Carr could be a riser) and someone reaches for Jimmy Garroppolo late 1st/early 2nd round, and then by the mid/late 2nd or even early 3rd round a QB-needy team looks at the remaining options and doesn't like them? What if a team like Oakland picking at 67 offered BB that pick and a conditional 2015 pick, and there was someone on the Pats' draft board who BB liked a lot who looked to be available?

For example, suppose the draft went like this:

- 29: Pats take a DT. Call it Ra'Shede Hageman for now.
- Around pick 60 or so, Oakland calls the Pats. Troy Niklas is still on the board, as well as a couple of OL prospects that BB likes (say Joel Bitonio and Weston Richburg, of argument's sake).
- BB takes the trade, takes Niklas at 62, then one of the linemen at 67.

At this point, BB has addressed 3 major needs, and he could possibly use 93 on Zach Mettenberger or AJ McCarron and then double up on defense at 130/140, or take a defensive player at 93 (Jordan Tripp/Christian Jones, for example) and get someone like Aaron Murray at 130/140.

Having that extra draft pick and knowing that you should be able to get a solid player who can come in and be a backup QB could have a big impact on making such a trade. Still a long shot, but perhaps a bit less of one.

I think we need to wait for the visits to get a better view on how BB plans to proceed at QB. If we're drafting a QB to be the primary backup, there's going to have to be a comfort level that any drafted QB has the smarts to step right in. Now, because of BB's access to Nick Saban, I could see them getting an appreciation of McCarron without much contact but I think they'd need to sit down with any other QB. My view is that Mallett is here to ,at least, camp and if we have a QB like Guiton or Shaw that they're comfortable making the primary QB, then Mallett could get traded to a team not happy with their incumbent.

I think we need to wait for the visits to get a better view on how BB plans to proceed at QB. If we're drafting a QB to be the primary backup, there's going to have to be a comfort level that any drafted QB has the smarts to step right in. Now, because of BB's access to Nick Saban, I could see them getting an appreciation of McCarron without much contact but I think they'd need to sit down with any other QB. My view is that Mallett is here to ,at least, camp and if we have a QB like Guiton or Shaw that they're comfortable making the primary QB, then Mallett could get traded to a team not happy with their incumbent.

Maybe. It all depends on how things end up falling. I agree that we can't count on any trade occurring - if it happens, it will be something that develops quickly on draft day based on how the draft falls.

Trade down the #198 one spot and you know the rest of the story.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back