PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Chad Ryland - Round 4 - 112th overall

I must have read that incorrectly I hope McDermott doesn't make this squad we never want to get to him.

No team wants to get to their 4th OT. But when you do, you're generally lucky if it's someone as serviceable as McDermott.

I must have read that incorrectly I hope McDermott doesn't make this squad we never want to get to him.

I read that Sow was taking some reps at RT, so let's hope he shines. If we depend on McDermott as Tackle #4, he is not bad in that position. Myles Bryant and James Ferentz are examples of bad backups, not McDermott. Can't have All-Pros everywhere.

I read that Sow was taking some reps at RT, so let's hope he shines. If we depend on McDermott as Tackle #4, he is not bad in that position. Myles Bryant and James Ferentz are examples of bad backups, not McDermott. Can't have All-Pros everywhere.
What detractors here or whiners saying they took a kicker instead of an OT seem to miss about Sow... he's a great athlete for his size... and he's big.

something like 20-25% of players in 4th round even make it to a 2nd contract.So 4 out of 5 players don't make it more than 4 years in the league. This doesnt even speak to the role of player - just that they made a roster... I'm sure many are back-ups and STers

So given that a 4th rounder is a bit of a crapshoot league-wide, why is drafting a Kicker such a horrible thing?? I dont know much about Ryland, but assuming he's a good kicker, why is it such a bad thing to take the best one in draft over a potential back-up or ST player. So many games are won/lost on field goals/extra points and field position (kickoffs).

I'd trade a 4th in a heartbeat for the next Gostowski, Vinatieri, Tucker etc..

What detractors here or whiners saying they took a kicker instead of an OT seem to miss about Sow... he's a great athlete for his size... and he's big.
And he's learned to CONTROL his weight. It's how he has gotten down to 324 and stayed there.

And he's learned to CONTROL his weight. It's how he has gotten down to 324 and stayed there.
Even at that weight he was one of the most athletic guys at the combine among the bigs.

He's extremely mobile, explosive, strong and fast. If he doesn't make it as a Pro, a lack of athleticism won't be the reason why.

Last edited:
Sidy Sow played left tackle as a freshman in college, he has the size, length and athleticism to play tackle now.
Good response.

Sow may well become a superior nfl lineman.

And I know he played LT. But that needs further clarification. It was in 2018. 2018!

And it’s a mystery why he was asked to move inside. I guess the Eagles had more talent on the outside than the inside, a rare occurrence.

It’s easy to be dubious about his move to LT. I’m rooting for him, though.

If he flames out at LT, he will be right there nipping at Strange’s heels at LG. If this is how it plays out, it makes the Mafi pick (another LG but with limited playing experience) even more of a head scratcher than it already is.

I still hold out hopes for Chasen Hines. He’s the natural backup at RG behind Onwenu.

Good response.

And I know he played LT. But that needs further clarification. It was in 2018. 2018!

And it’s a mystery why he was asked to move inside. I guess the Eagles had more talent on the outside than the inside, a rare occurrence.

If he flames out at LT, he will be right there nipping at Strange’s heels at LG. If this is how it plays out, it makes the Mafi pick (another LG but with limited playing experience) even more of a head scratcher than it already is.

I still hold out hopes for Chasen Hines. He’s the natural backup at RG behind Onwenu.
Maybe the emphasis is giving Mac better Protection this year also OL Coach Klemm probably saw Mafi quite a bit.

Good response.

I think people still have it in their minds that OT is as uber important as ten years ago and I don’t think that’s the case anymore.

Teams regularly run nickel defenses as their base, big immobile Nose Tackles are all but extinct, replaced by dual purpose pass rushers on the interior. Keeping a clean pocket is just as big a worry as rushers off the edge.

I also don’t put too much stock into 2018 being a long time ago… all these kids lives got pushed back due to covid.

According to Sow’s coach at E Michigan they moved him inside because they needed him there more than an inability to play outside.

Sow is a massive dancing bear, a really good athlete for his size and he has decent length to play OT. What any OT lacks in length he can make up for with superior mobility and movement… Sow has that. His college tape also showed great hands and balance in pass protection.

He may need some development, but his athleticism is unquestionably great.

Last edited:
...it makes the Mafi pick (another LG but with limited playing experience) even more of a head scratcher than it already is.

Mafi impressed the Pats coaches at the Shrine Bowl game. His limited experience at OL probably actually helped because he's improving and has an unknown ceiling.

Quietly one of the best weeks at the Shrine Bowl came for UCLA’s Atonio Mafi. He wasn’t even the highest profile player from his own school there with Dorian Thompson-Robinson quarterbacking the West, but Mafi looked like one of the five most pro-ready offensive prospects in Vegas.

A massive mauler, Mafi excelled in one-on-one pass rush with a violent punch and strong base. It felt like every rep he’d immediately defeat the defensive tackles first move with his hands and then just anchor down and it would be game over.

He was even better in team drills and run drills where his strength and leverage kept popping off the tape. Mafi is a power merchant and tone-setter in the run game at left guard; teams will love the edge he plays with too.

Fit for a gap scheme, Mafi’s leverage and power make him a menace as a down blocker and puller but he does have enough athleticism to reach the second level and seal off linebackers when needed. Given how this offensive line class looks, Mafi could be an early Day 3 selection.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back