Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Chung issue

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brady_to_Moss, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

i say let the guy go...getting worse and worse..no need to keep him. Use the $$ on depth on the D
  2. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

I'd only give him vet min at most. Would not pay Chung any signficant money to stay. His coverage is god-awful and there's a reason he has been a healthy scratch lately or was it 1 snap out of 79?
  3. randomk1

randomk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

God what the hell happened to him? At one point in like early 2010 he looked so promising.
  4. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Yup...and now he blows and bad...dump him
  5. Get it shawtaay

Get it shawtaay Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately, Chung has made this decision rather easy for us.
  6. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -2

The Chung issue??...oh, yeah, forgot...I just got mine a few days ago...I opened it up and it looks like it was one page but somebody ripped the page out...nice pic of him on the cover though...flexing biceps after tackling the ball carrier 15 yards downfield...
  7. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Chung should change his last name to Dung because he played like sh1t and isn't getting better.....almost Meriweather like.

Let Patrick and Kyle hold hands in Belichick's office while he cuts both their asses

A lousy safety and even worse cornerback

Replacing those 2 bums along with a soft playing Gregory and then the secondary will be instantly improved.
  8. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

As far as I'm concerned there's no real issue. His level of play has depreciated on a yearly basis and he's expendable.
  9. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

Issue implies there is some controversy or a difficult decision. I think it's obvious that Chung will not be back with the Patriots. Really too bad, seems like a great teammate and plays with a lot of fire. Unfortunately he cannot cover or stay healthy.

That hit he put on Nicks in the SB last year looked painful. He nearly knocked him out of the game.
  10. Bravo777

Bravo777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I say we trade him. Someone will take him. Remember, we traded Maroney and he was terrible.
  11. voluntarysaftey

voluntarysaftey Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think its given he's gone. He has no reason to stay here.
    The bigger question is what caused not just his decline, but lack of progress?
    Was it just injuries?

Seems we've had too many promising DBs just peak at their first or second season. Merriweather and Chung should've both been probowl safetys. McCourty should've been a probowl CB - luckily he's turned himself into a good safety. hopefully he doesn't fall into to decline at that position as well.
  12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

???

You cannot trade an unrestricted free agent.

13. naF staP

naF staP Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

No doubt about it, Chung will be gone before preseason games begin.
  14. Get it shawtaay

Get it shawtaay Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not to be a d!ck, but Meriweather was a Pro Bowl safety, so you probably want to choose another way to choose another qualifier.

Anyway, its interesting that neither Chung or Meriweather really ever improved at safety. Chung always seemed like a competitive, try-hard, team first guy and the coaches loved him, so with him effort wasn't the issue. But watching him unravel the way he has since the team tried to move him away from the LOS, it seems like he just doesn't have what it takes.

On the other hand, Meriweather always had what it takes, but didn't have the attitude and desire to improve his game, was in the doghouse often for his play on the field, was always gambling for personal glory, etc. Seemed like he could have been better had he applied himself.

So in summary, Meriweather would have been successful had he had some Chung in him, and Chung would have been successful if he had some Meriweather in him. Oy vey.
  15. Bravo777

Bravo777 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Oops! I didn't realize he was unrestricted.
  16. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There is no Chung issue. He's a FA, and it's not in the team's interest to retain him. You can only carry so many roster spots or allocate so much cap space to a given position, and to allocate any space or money to a defensive back with Chung's coverage liabilities would be an egregious error.
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

He needs to take a geometry class....
  18. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What issue? Chung is too slow to cover and too small to hit without injuring himself.
  19. DarrylStingley

DarrylStingley Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like others, I see no issue. Chung needs a fresh start. He lost his starting job in NE and really, since his moronic fake punt attempt in the 2010 playoff loss, he's been sort of dead to me, and I think many others.

Yeah, if he could play, it would fade away, but he's got a LB's brain and a safety's body, and he really can't play either position. He also routinely bites on fakes and gets out of position.

See ya, Patrick.
  20. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I say bring Arrington back because A) he's not going to cost you anything. B) While you don't want him starting, he CAN fill in and play decent in specific roles. And C) Right now without Talib signed, and assuming McCourty is staying at safety, we have Dennard, Cole, and Dowling at CB. Even with Talib, we're probably looking to add two more corners anyway, so you might as well keep Arrington for his special teams and bring in bodies to hopefully beat him out for corner snaps.
  21. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Chung? Eugene Chung??

Dissapointing first round offensive lineman from 1992? 13th payer overall in that draft, three seasons with NE and damn near got Drew killed in his rookie year.

Oh Patrick Chung, right, wsted 2nd rounder, showed great promise until he could not raise his game to a high level, I for one thought he would. When he decided to go for that fake punt call in a playoff game and botch it he was never quite the same. Too bad, good kid, ended up as a piss poor player.

No more Chungs please - I don't even want any part of Connie Chung at this point.
  22. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

As a former Chung apologist, I would have to say that his time here looks to be at an end. I don't mind giving him a new deal on the Cheap, but he really has not made the most of his opportunities.
  23. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chung came into the league as one of the better safety prospects in his rookie class or the year before him. He never improved enough to play all 3 downs.

The PROBLEM is that the Patriots have maybe the worst secondary coaching in the entire league. Name ONE player who has actually improved significantly in the secondary due to Patriot coaching?

The Patriots spent a lot of 1st round and 2nd round draft picks for 3 years in a row on multiple corners and safeties. Almost none of them got better. That is on coaching when zero of your players improve.
  24. jnug

jnug Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If the receiver can just elevate to a level above you that you just cannot achieve or can hold you off while he catches the ball just because of his size, there is very little about coaching that will resolve those issues. We need some bigger more physical people ala' Talib and either the Pats realize it now and get them or they don't
  25. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Pats have not done well selecting or developing DBs. But as has been pointed out, they don't flourish elsewhere either, so that would point to lack of talent. I hope Tavon Wilson proves to be an exception, but the early returns there are not encouraging.
  26. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I haven't re-watched the Ravens game, so I can't comment there, but I thought Wilson did a good job on Owen Daniels in the chances he got against Houston. His rookie year was up and down for sure, but I saw enough good things to feel optimistic that he can find a good role on this team.
  27. Walpole Pats Fan

Walpole Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think we should keep Arrington around for special teams which is where he is actually a good player. He made his way onto the team as a ST player and was more or less forced into the 1st unit of D out of injury/poor drafting at the CB spot. I'm fine with him as CB depth and sometimes at the nickel spot on the slot wr.
  28. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

He was always a liability in coverage. That was the knock on him right from the start. The hope was that he could improve on it, but he just can't. He did make the effort, about two years ago, in training camp, but his ceiling is just not that high, and everyone knows it, including him.

This is why he makes so many mistakes, because he feels he has to cheat to compensate for his inability to cover, and consequently you see him often take bad angles, give too much of a cushion, or simply get caught out of position.
  29. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

We don't have Eric Mangini to develop the young backs.
  30. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He's an undersized strong safety in a coverage-starved secondary that needs two coverage free safeties because it's corners cannot cover.

Meaning its a bad fit, we move on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.