PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 NFL Mock Draft Thread

Really nice drafts, Illegal. I could live with either of those scenarios.

Henry and Fuller are hard to pass up, but I think I like the 2nd one better as it seems to provide more value and fill the roster better

I haven't done a mock on Fanspeak for a week, so here's mine, using Walter Football's rankings:

2016 NFL Mock Draft via Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator

I chose Shepherd & his plug-n-play ability ahead of Braxton Miller & his potential. I would be happy with either one of them however.

No Jason Spriggs, so LeRaven Clark is the next-best LT prospect, and it's not even close.
Shilique Calhoun & Robert Nkemdiche were still available, but our need for a 3rd OT is so great that I chose Clark over the higher-ranked DLmen.

An athletic DT has now become a top-100 priority (thanks, "genius"), and Ridgeway is the best available.
He & Malcolm Brown can wreak havoc in NE like they did at UT.

Devontae Booker has the chance to become a true 3-down RB, moreso than the others remaining who are either mostly runners or mostly receivers.
There should be a lot of good RBs available at the end of the 3rd, so Bill has no excuse to reach for one.

CB is always a need here, so I chose Kalan Reed mostly out of deference to Manx & others who seem to really like him more than others I might have chosen ahead of him.

Jordan Payton in the 6th round could become the next David Givens for us.

OT Caleb Benenoch is raw, but is athletic & coachable, and is the best OT available and I want to double-dip at this position more than at any other position.

SS Jayron Kearse is swing-n-miss, but has the height, length & growth potential to perhaps become a Nickel LB; he really just needs a fire lit under his ass.

I didn't know much about Roy Robertson-Harris or Greg Milhouse before now, but they look like athletic
guys with production at their levels who would be worthy 6th/7th-round depth with upside.

And Beau Sandland is just way too athletic to pass-up here. Finally, our Prisoner replacement?

I haven't done a mock on Fanspeak for a week, so here's mine, using Walter Football's rankings:

I chose Shepherd & his plug-n-play ability ahead of Braxton Miller & his potential. I would be happy with either one of them however.

No Jason Spriggs, so LeRaven Clark is the next-best LT prospect, and it's not even close.
Shilique Calhoun & Robert Nkemdiche were still available, but our need for a 3rd OT is so great that I chose Clark over the higher-ranked DLmen.

An athletic DT has now become a top-100 priority (thanks, "genius"), and Ridgeway is the best available.

Devontae Booker has the chance to become a true 3-down RB, moreso than the others remaining who are either mostly runners or mostly receivers.
There should be a lot of good RBs available at the end of the 3rd, so Bill has no excuse to reach for one.

CB is always a need here, so I chose Kalan Reed mostly out of deference to Manx & others who seem to really like him more than others I might have chosen ahead of him.

OT Caleb Benenoch is raw, but is athletic & coachable, and is the best OT available and I want to double-dip at this position more than at any other position.

SS Jayron Kearse is swing-n-miss, but has the height, length & growth potential to perhaps become a Nickel LB; he really just needs a fire lit under his ass.

I didn't know much about Roy Robertson-Harris or Greg Milhouse before now, but they look like athletic
guys with production at their levels who would be worthy 6th/7th-round depth with upside.

And Beau Sandland is just way too athletic to pass-up here. Finally, our Prisoner replacement?

Not a fan of the Kearse pick, but I can see why someone would do it, but I love the rest of the mock. Thanks for the Reed pick :)

Yeah I was going back and forth over the Kearse pick, because in that mock there were still some decent CBs available, but in the end I chose Kearse with the hope that his uncle & cousin could explain to him what a good opportunity he would have here. There were no coverage LBs remaining at 221 that I liked, but even if Kearse doesn't have the instincts to play an east-west game with the regular defense, perhaps he could earn his keep on STs playing a north-south game.

first pick

Round 2 Pick 30: Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
Round 2 Pick 31 (CAR): Artie Burns, CB, Miami (Fla.)
Round 3 Pick 28: Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska
Round 4 Pick 31 (CAR): C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame
Round 5 Pick 29 (CAR): Brandon Shell, OT, South Carolina
Round 6 Pick 21: Tajae Sharpe, WR, Massachusetts
Round 6 Pick 29: Moritz Boehringer, WR/TE, Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi
Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Tyvis Powell, FS/CB, Ohio State
Round 6 Pick 46 (COMP): Brandon Allen, QB, Arkansas
Round 7 Pick 22: Cody Kessler, QB, Southern California
Round 7 Pick 29: Caleb Benenoch, OT, UCLA

good stuff, though if cujuste is sitting there in round 7 I would take him over the TE

FanSpeak CBS version:
60: R2P29 WR STERLING SHEPARD OKLAHOMA
61: R2P30 OLB KYLER FACKRELL UTAH STATE
91: R3P28 RB JONATHAN WILLIAMS ARKANSAS
96: R3P33 DE BRONSON KAUFUSI BRIGHAM YOUNG
196: R6P21 CB JAMES BRADBERRY SAMFORD
204: R6P29 WR MORITZ BOEHRINGER SCHWABISCH HALL
208: R6P33 RB KEENAN REYNOLDS NAVY
214: R6P39 OT CALEB BENENOCH UCLA
221: R6P46 OLB STEVE LONGA RUTGERS
243: R7P22 TE JAKE MCGEE FLORIDA
250: R7P29 DE SHAWN OAKMAN BAYLOR

First pick simulator w/trades

Round 3 Pick 2 : Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech
Round 3 Pick 7 : Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina State
Round 3 Pick 20: Sean Davis, FS/CB, Maryland
Round 3 Pick 33 : Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State
Round 4 Pick 6: Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
Round 4 Pick 8 : Bronson Kaufusi, DE/OLB, Brigham Young
Round 4 Pick 18 : Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
Round 4 Pick 32 :Scooby Wright III, ILB, Arizona
Round 6 Pick 29: Kevin Peterson, CB, Oklahoma State
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Moritz Boehringer, WR/TE, Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns
Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Keenan Reynolds, RB, Navy
Round 6 Pick 46 (COMP): Daniel Braverman, WR, Western Michigan
Round 7 Pick 29: Chris Swain, FB, Navy

FanSpeak Walter version:
60: R2P29 DT ROBERT NKEMDICHE OLE MISS
61: R2P30 OT SHON COLEMAN AUBURN
91: R3P28 RB KENNETH DIXON LOUISIANA TECH
96: R3P33 OLB JORDAN JENKINS GEORGIA
196: R6P21 RB KEENAN REYNOLDS NAVY
204: R6P29 DT SHAWN OAKMAN BAYLOR
208: R6P33 WR DEVON CAJUSTE STANFORD
214: R6P39 S JAYRON KEARSE CLEMSON
221: R6P46 QB KEVIN HOGAN STANFORD
243: R7P22 RB DEANDRE WASHINGTON TEXAS TECH
250: R7P29 OT CALEB BENENOCH UCLA

Fanspeak Easterling version:
60: R2P29 RB DERRICK HENRY ALABAMA
61: R2P30 WR WILL FULLER NOTRE DAME
91: R3P28 OT LE'RAVEN CLARK TEXAS TECH
96: R3P33 DT SHELDON DAY NOTRE DAME
196: R6P21 DT ADAM GOTSIS GEORGIA TECH
204: R6P29 ILB SCOOBY WRIGHT III ARIZONA
208: R6P33 FB DAN VITALE NORTHWESTERN
214: R6P39 QB KEVIN HOGAN STANFORD
221: R6P46 RB KEENAN REYNOLDS NAVY
243: R7P22 G DARRELL GREENE SAN DIEGO STATE
250: R7P29 WR DANIEL BRAVERMAN WESTERN MICHIGAN

giphy.gif

good stuff, though if cujuste is sitting there in round 7 I would take him over the TE
I was hoping that Saint Moritz Boehringer would be available at that pick; I would've taken him ahead of either Sandland or Cajuste, though I would be fine if any of them are available in the 7th round. It would not surprise to see all 3 of them be drafted higher than the mocks are predicting.

first pick

Round 2 Pick 30: Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
Round 2 Pick 31 (CAR): Artie Burns, CB, Miami (Fla.)
Round 3 Pick 28: Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska
Round 4 Pick 31 (CAR): C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame
Round 5 Pick 29 (CAR): Brandon Shell, OT, South Carolina
Round 6 Pick 21: Tajae Sharpe, WR, Massachusetts
Round 6 Pick 29: Moritz Boehringer, WR/TE, Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi
Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Tyvis Powell, FS/CB, Ohio State
Round 6 Pick 46 (COMP): Brandon Allen, QB, Arkansas
Round 7 Pick 22: Cody Kessler, QB, Southern California
Round 7 Pick 29: Caleb Benenoch, OT, UCLA

Drafting Jonathan Williams and CJ Prosise would be really interesting.cwe'd have an interesting running game then.

FanSpeak CBS version:
60: R2P29 WR STERLING SHEPARD OKLAHOMA
61: R2P30 OLB KYLER FACKRELL UTAH STATE
91: R3P28 RB JONATHAN WILLIAMS ARKANSAS
96: R3P33 DE BRONSON KAUFUSI BRIGHAM YOUNG
196: R6P21 CB JAMES BRADBERRY SAMFORD
204: R6P29 WR MORITZ BOEHRINGER SCHWABISCH HALL
208: R6P33 RB KEENAN REYNOLDS NAVY
214: R6P39 OT CALEB BENENOCH UCLA
221: R6P46 OLB STEVE LONGA RUTGERS
243: R7P22 TE JAKE MCGEE FLORIDA
250: R7P29 DE SHAWN OAKMAN BAYLOR

This is my version from Fanspeak's CBS list, including the Eagles at #2:

VIEW EACH TEAM'S DRAFT

60: R2P29
WR STERLING SHEPARD\
OKLAHOMA

61: R2P30
RB DERRICK HENRY
ALABAMA

91: R3P28
DE BRONSON KAUFUSI
BRIGHAM YOUNG

96: R3P33
G CONNOR MCGOVERN
MISSOURI

196: R6P21
CB JAMES BRADBERRY
SAMFORD

204: R6P29
OT CALEB BENENOCH
UCLA

208: R6P33
OLB DE'VONDRE CAMPBELL
MINNESOTA

214: R6P39
WR MITCH MATHEWS
BRIGHAM YOUNG

221: R6P46
CB DARYL WORLEY
WEST VIRGINIA

243: R7P22
RB KEENAN REYNOLDS
NAVY

250: R7P29
DT QUINTON JEFFERSON
MARYLAND

We agree with Shepherd, Kaufusi, Bradberry & Benenoch. I was torn between Boehringer and Mitch Mathews, both of whom have similar height/weight/athletic #s, and decided to choose the one with more experience.

I've now decided that if neither Jason Spriggs nor LeRaven Clark is available at 60/61, then I will draft the best available LG before the end of Day 2, with the intent of starting him on Opening Night. I will then draft an OT of the future as early on Day 3 as possible, though I now fear that Caleb Benenoch will be gone - long gone even - by 204.

I chose Keenan Reynolds at 243 because that's where his talent says he belongs, though I suppose that I could live with his selection sometime during the late 6th round. I still like all 5 of the guys I chose in the 6th round much, much better than him, however.

Last edited:
This is my version from Fanspeak's CBS list, including the Eagles at #2:

VIEW EACH TEAM'S DRAFT

60: R2P29
WR STERLING SHEPARD\
OKLAHOMA

61: R2P30
RB DERRICK HENRY
ALABAMA

91: R3P28
DE BRONSON KAUFUSI
BRIGHAM YOUNG

96: R3P33
G CONNOR MCGOVERN
MISSOURI

196: R6P21
CB JAMES BRADBERRY
SAMFORD

204: R6P29
OT CALEB BENENOCH
UCLA

208: R6P33
OLB DE'VONDRE CAMPBELL
MINNESOTA

214: R6P39
WR MITCH MATHEWS
BRIGHAM YOUNG

221: R6P46
CB DARYL WORLEY
WEST VIRGINIA

243: R7P22
RB KEENAN REYNOLDS
NAVY

250: R7P29
DT QUINTON JEFFERSON
MARYLAND

We agree with Shepherd, Kaufusi, Bradberry & Benenoch. I was torn between Boehringer and Mitch Mathews, both of whom have similar height/weight/athletic #s, and decided to choose the one with more experience.

I've now decided that if neither Jason Spriggs nor LeRaven Clark is available at 60/61, then I will draft the best available LG before the end of Day 2, with the intent of starting him on Opening Night. I will then draft an OT of the future as early on Day 3 as possible, though I now fear that Caleb Benenoch will be gone - long gone even - by 204.

I chose Keenan Reynolds at 243 because that's where his talent says he belongs, though I suppose that I could live with his selection sometime during the late 6th round. I still like all 5 of the guys I chose in the 6th round much, much better than him.

Thumbs up with everything but the LG.....ill put my faith in scar turning Mason into a good one

I needed a break from writing up Corners and Safeties, so I did one over at Fanspeak using CBS.
60. Sterling Shephard, WR
61. Chris Jones, DT

both guys I felt were too good to pass up and the CB position had been wiped out

91. Joe Haeg, OT
96. Jonathan Williams, RB

Again, CB did not have anyone I really loved. Looking back, this might have been the case to take a reach though.

196. James Bradberry, CB
204. Dan Vitale, FB/TE
208. Dominique Robertson, OT
214. Daryl Worley, CB
221. Moritz Boerhinger, WR

Loved my 6th round hall here. I got great value with the Bradberry and Robertson picks. Vitale can do a little of everything, Worley is a physical #2 type corner and Boerhinger is a lottery ticket that has impressive physical traits.

243. Victor Ochi, Edge
247. Justin Zimmer, DT

Ochi can come in and be a situational pass rusher and Zimmer is another physical freak that could develop into a good player.

2016 Patriots Mock Draft - PatsPropaganda

Note, this is NOT mine :

60. Shon Coleman, OT
61. Austin Johnson, DT
91. Alex Collins,RB
96. DJ White, CB
196. Nelson Spruce, WR
204. Blake Martinez, LB
208. Dan Vitale, H Back
214. Keenan Reynolds, RB
221. Ben Braunecker, TE
243. Mike Thomas, WR
250. Joel Heath, DL

There's a nice writeup on each pick at the site.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back