PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 NFL Mock Draft Thread

Well Dixon over Marshall is easy although there are RBs I prefer over Dixon. As for Davis over Bradberry, I've not seen enough of Bradberry to really make a fine distinction. I like Davis' fit here. He's got length and arhleticism and is an excellent tackler, an underrated but key skillset for a Patriots CB.

why is dixon over marshall easy? I think Marshall is more complete and the way RBs go around here, we'll only need him for a few years....faster, stronger, a better pass blocker

bradberry has the same skill set but project to CB better while they're talking about Davis being more of a safety

can you justify the value of
davis in round 2 over james bradberry in round 6
dixon in round 2 over keith marshall in round 6

I'm not our resident expert, but I'll take a crack at this.

Davis has more experience at a variety of positions, while Bradberry does not. Davis plays special teams, and based on interviews I've watched, he takes pride in playing special teams, because he is of the opinion that the best players should be on the field for those snaps, since it's a third of the game. He also has played against a much higher level of competition, and currently has significantly better technique. He tested better. Etc. I think that's worth several rounds. Besides, why not double-dip? :p

Dixon is a much more complete back than Marshall. I'm not convinced Marshall will be a starter, or even used in a heavy rotation. He's a marginal talent who happened to run really fast at the combine. I think he lacks vision, and doesn't break tackles the way a 220 pound back should. White, for example, has a better feel for the game than Marshall, who is just a fast guy at this point. Dixon has a good chance of developing into a true featured back and being productive.

(I got pulled into something at work and didn't get to finish writing this until after Manx posted a response. So, um, I guess I'll put this out there anyway.)

why is dixon over marshall easy? I think Marshall is more complete and the way RBs go around here, we'll only need him for a few years....faster, stronger, a better pass blocker

bradberry has the same skill set but project to CB better while they're talking about Davis being more of a safety

Save for his first year, Marshall barely played. He's very good at running in space. I'm less convinced by his ability to create that space for himself.

As for Bradberry, personally I think the discussion is moot. He'll go way before the end of the 3rd round. I think he's certain to go in round 4 and may even jump up into the end of the 3rd. I like Bradberry and have had him on my big boards. I just like Davis as a better fit.

Davis has more experience at a variety of positions, while Bradberry does not. Davis plays special teams, and based on interviews I've watched, he takes pride in playing special teams, because he is of the opinion that the best players should be on the field for those snaps, since it's a third of the game. He also has played against a much higher level of competition, and currently has significantly better technique. He tested better. Etc. I think that's worth several rounds. Besides, why not double-dip? :p

Dixon is a much more complete back than Marshall. I'm not convinced Marshall will be a starter, or even used in a heavy rotation. He's a marginal talent who happened to run really fast at the combine. I think he lacks vision, and doesn't break tackles the way a 220 pound back should. White, for example, has a better feel for the game than Marshall, who is just a fast guy at this point. Dixon has a good chance of developing into a true featured back and being productive.

(I got pulled into something at work and didn't get to finish writing this until after Manx posted a response. So, um, I guess I'll put this out there anyway.)

If you had posted first, all I'd have needed to say is "^this". You nailed it.

we certainly don't need a safety, and if that's where davis is projecting, then we have no use for him...we need someone who can play corner, and nobody's sure that davis can.....bradberry is superior in man coverage

as for marshall, the only thing that kept him back was missing a year due to injury....since GA has an endless line of RB's, he lost his spot in line and that was that......the pats have no business spending 2nd rounders on RB's since they never get re-signed....

as for special teams, my draft has plenty of those guys

Davis DOES play corner, though, and against a much higher level of competition than Bradberry, whom I like just fine as a developmental prospect, but not as a potential starter this year. Davis could see significantly more play. I don't know why people project Davis to safety only, when his change of direction numbers are essentially the top of the entire combine this year. SS: 3.97 Three-cone: 6.64

Watch his press man ability. He can mirror downfield in good trail position, and then make a clean play on the ball:

I don't dislike Bradberry, but his technique is an absolute jumble. Why do we think he's more likely to play than a prospect from a more established conference?

Watch Marshall play, and all you'll see are long runs when he has a big hole. Yes, he's fast. We know that. But I rarely see him run with authority, or find a small crease. He does not run with any patience or intuitive feel. Remember how that worked out with Maroney? (And I actually liked him until his confidence disappeared.)

If you had posted first, all I'd have needed to say is "^this". You nailed it.

davis may not even be able to play corner in the NFL........
dixon would be a couple of fumbles away from being at the end of the bench

in the 2nd round, I'd like guys with some smaller warts

davis may not even be able to play corner in the NFL........
dixon would be a couple of fumbles away from being at the end of the bench

in the 2nd round, I'd like guys with some smaller warts

Bear in mind that wasn't my mock, it was Dane Bruglers. I'd have Jonathan Williams as my preferred choice at RB and I'd probably go DT in round two and a CB in round three.

Davis DOES play corner, though, and against a much higher level of competition than Bradberry, whom I like just fine as a developmental prospect, but not as a potential starter this year. Davis could see significantly more play. I don't know why people project Davis to safety only, when his change of direction numbers are essentially the top of the entire combine this year. SS: 3.97 Three-cone: 6.64

Watch his press man ability. He can mirror downfield in good trail position, and then make a clean play on the ball:

I don't dislike Bradberry, but his technique is an absolute jumble. Why do we think he's more likely to play than a prospect from a more established conference?

Watch Marshall play, and all you'll see are long runs when he has a big hole. Yes, he's fast. We know that. But I rarely see him run with authority, or find a small crease. He does not run with any patience or intuitive feel. Remember how that worked out with Maroney? (And I actually liked him until his confidence disappeared.)

he's nothing like maroney........marshall is well versed in the passing game too

Davis:
From nfl.com
WEAKNESSES
At times, was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.
NFL COMPARISON
Duke Ihenacho
BOTTOM LINE
Miscast this season as an outside cornerback, Davis battled through adversity and bounced back with ball production, tackles and forced fumbles. Davis has the ability to cover, but his strengths would best be utilized at safety where he has fewer man responsibilities and can be deployed near the line of scrimmage a little more often. Davis is an eventual starter at safety and a big backup at cornerback.

does tebucky jones ring a bell?

Bear in mind that wasn't my mock, it was Dane Bruglers. I'd have Jonathan Williams as my preferred choice at RB and I'd probably go DT in round two and a CB in round three.

I realized that......pardon my assumption it was your choosing though you do like both guys.....I just think the ability risk is too high to take these guys.....each has a pretty big wart when it comes to the on field product

my preference is for line guys and meatheads earlier though I do like Tyler Boyd because of his production as well as return man capabilities

I realized that......pardon my assumption it was your choosing though you do like both guys.....I just think the ability risk is too high to take these guys.....each has a pretty big wart when it comes to the on field product

my preference is for line guys and meatheads earlier though I do like Tyler Boyd because of his production as well as return man capabilities

My problem with Tyler Boyd is that I worry he'll get open in the NFL. His skills are excellent, his athleticism is ordinary.

I did have Davis at 60 in my last mock, not because it's my personal preference, but because he's such a good fit compared to the type of picks we've made in the past at the position. My facourite CBs in the draft are actually Kalan Reed, Eric Murray and Kevin Peterson, with Bradberry and Ryan Smith just behind.

As for RB, I've always been cautious about Dixon because of his fumbles. I'd take Jonathan Williams and Prosise over him. However, in our 2 TE system, I can see the type of tactical edge Dixon would give us. There would be no way for a defense to know whether we are running and passing - a reason I like Prosise's fit here too.

Fan Speak simulator (no trades version)

60:
RB KENNETH DIXON
LOUISIANA TECH

61:
DT AUSTIN JOHNSON
PENN STATE

91:
OT JOE HAEG
NORTH DAKOTA STATE

96:
DT HASSAN RIDGEWAY
TEXAS

196:
CB KALAN REED
SOUTHERN MISS

204:
WR MORITZ WILHELM BOEHRINGER
GERMANY

208:
QB KEVIN HOGAN
STANFORD

214:
RB KEENAN REYNOLDS
NAVY

221:
DE D.J. PETTWAY
ALABAMA

243:
WR KOLBY LISTENBEE
TCU

250:
ILB JOSH FORREST
KENTUCKY

Trade #61 and #204 to the Bears for #72, #127 and #150

#60 Shon Coleman, OL, Auburn
#72 Sean Davis, DB, Maryland
#91 Hassan Ridgeway, DL, Texas
#96 Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
#127 Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
#150 Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa
#196 Keenan Reynolds, RB, Navy
#208 Jalin Marshall, WR, Ohio State
#214 Brennan Scarlett, EDGE, Stanford
#221 Cre'Von Leblanc, DB, Florida Atlantic
#243 Peyton Barber, RB, Auburn
#250 A.J. Zuttah, DL, Dartmouth

For those who are worrying about the Pats taking Keenan Reynolds higher than they would like, I too hope they can get him later, but remember that just like with Joe Cardona who they also may have been able to get later, the higher pick shows the kind of commitment that may persuade the Navy to allow him to play.

Fan Speak simulator (no trades version)

60:
RB KENNETH DIXON
LOUISIANA TECH

61:
DT AUSTIN JOHNSON
PENN STATE

91:
OT JOE HAEG
NORTH DAKOTA STATE

96:
DT HASSAN RIDGEWAY
TEXAS

196:
CB KALAN REED
SOUTHERN MISS

204:
WR MORITZ WILHELM BOEHRINGER
GERMANY

208:
QB KEVIN HOGAN
STANFORD

214:
RB KEENAN REYNOLDS
NAVY

221:
DE D.J. PETTWAY
ALABAMA

243:
WR KOLBY LISTENBEE
TCU

250:
ILB JOSH FORREST
KENTUCKY

Wow! Monster draft. I could not complain at all about this mock.

I know someone we do not expect will fall to us in the second round, if it is Johnson, then I am happy.

My Fanspeak Mock.....The NFL would be really unhappy if it worked out this way:
60: R2P29 RB DERRICK HENRY ALABAMA
61: R2P30 WR WILL FULLER NOTRE DAME
91: R3P28 DT JAVON HARGRAVE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
96: R3P33 OT JOE HAEG NORTH DAKOTA STATE
196: R6P21 RB JONATHAN WILLIAMS ARKANSAS
204: R6P29 DE ANTHONY ZETTEL PENN STATE
208: R6P33 QB KEVIN HOGAN STANFORD
214: R6P39 CB CLEVELAND WALLACE SAN JOSE STATE
221: R6P46 OLB STEVE LONGA RUTGERS
243: R7P22 FB DAN VITALE NORTHWESTERN
250: R7P29 OLB DE'VONDRE CAMPBELL MINNESOTA

Very disappointed not to see Stephen Anderson in any of your mocks :)

another stab using NFL.COM data:
60: R2P29 RB JORDAN HOWARD INDIANA
61: R2P30 OT JASON SPRIGGS INDIANA
91: R3P28 CB CYRUS JONES ALABAMA
96: R3P33 DT JAVON HARGRAVE SOUTH CAROLINA ST.
196: R6P21 DE MATT JUDON GRAND VALLEY ST.
204: R6P29 OT JOHN THEUS GEORGIA
208: R6P33 OLB TYLER MATAKEVICH TEMPLE
214: R6P39 CB JAMES BRADBERRY SAMFORD
221: R6P46 QB KEVIN HOGAN STANFORD
243: R7P22 OT CALEB BENENOCH UCLA
250: R7P29 WR KEYARRIS GARRETT TULSA

I wonder if offensive talent slipping to the bottom of the 2nd round is a trend

another stab using NFL.COM data:
60: R2P29 RB JORDAN HOWARD INDIANA
61: R2P30 OT JASON SPRIGGS INDIANA
91: R3P28 CB CYRUS JONES ALABAMA
96: R3P33 DT JAVON HARGRAVE SOUTH CAROLINA ST.
196: R6P21 DE MATT JUDON GRAND VALLEY ST.
204: R6P29 OT JOHN THEUS GEORGIA
208: R6P33 OLB TYLER MATAKEVICH TEMPLE
214: R6P39 CB JAMES BRADBERRY SAMFORD
221: R6P46 QB KEVIN HOGAN STANFORD
243: R7P22 OT CALEB BENENOCH UCLA
250: R7P29 WR KEYARRIS GARRETT TULSA

I wonder if offensive talent slipping to the bottom of the 2nd round is a trend

Like the Jones, Hargrave, Bradberry (although too low I suspect) and Hogan picks. I'd be amazed if Spriggs fell to the bottom of the 2nd and gobsmacked if Garrett fell to the 7th.

Really nice drafts, Illegal. I could live with either of those scenarios.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back