PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 NFL Mock Draft Thread

using the FanSpeak composite:
60: R2P29 RB DERRICK HENRY ALABAMA......obvious
61: R2P30 WR STERLING SHEPARD OKLAHOMA....obvious
91: R3P28 DT JAVON HARGRAVE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE...obvious
96: R3P33 OLB KAMALEI CORREA BOISE STATE....is there something new about this guy? why has he fallen?
196: R6P21 CB JAMES BRADBERRY SAMFORD
204: R6P29 OT JOHN THEUS GEORGIA
208: R6P33 CB MORGAN BURNS KANSAS STATE.....monster in the return game
214: R6P39 WR DANIEL BRAVERMAN WESTERN MICHIGAN
221: R6P46 QB JEFF DRISKEL LOUISIANA TECH
243: R7P22 CB BRANDON WILLIAMS TEXAS A&M
250: R7P29 DE ERIC LEE SOUTH FLORIDA....placed Lee since the composite did not have him

Interesting composite. Hard to argue with the top half of the draft, and most likely the lower rounds are fliers and camp bodies, anyway, so I wouldn't quibble too much about names I don't like. Useful stuff, Illegal.

Interesting composite. Hard to argue with the top half of the draft, and most likely the lower rounds are fliers and camp bodies, anyway, so I wouldn't quibble too much about names I don't like. Useful stuff, Illegal.

thx....I like going for proven capabilities early and chasing beefcakes with off the chart atletic qualities late....you only need a couple to actually be football players

I mentioned this trade in another thread so I'll do a mock based upon it.

Patriots trade 61 & 91 to Cleveland for picks 77, 99, 100. That gives us the first two picks of day 3.

60 - Le'Raven Clark

61 - Traded to Cleveland

77 (CLE) - Hassan Ridgeway

91 - Traded to Cleveland

96 (Comp) - Jonathan Williams

99 (CLE) - Traded to Houston with 196, 204 for 158, 166 and 2017 3rd.

100 (CLE) - Cyrus Jones

158 (HOU) - Kevin Hogan (Kalan Reed if they sign Hoyer).

166 (HOU) - Keenan Reynolds

196 - To Houston

204 - To Houston

208 - Marquez North or Devin Lucien

214 - Taveze Calhoun

221 - David Morgan II

243 - Steven Daniels

250 - Dillon Lee

Last edited:
using the FanSpeak composite:
60: R2P29 RB DERRICK HENRY ALABAMA......obvious
61: R2P30 WR STERLING SHEPARD OKLAHOMA....obvious
91: R3P28 DT JAVON HARGRAVE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE...obvious
96: R3P33 OLB KAMALEI CORREA BOISE STATE....is there something new about this guy? why has he fallen?
196: R6P21 CB JAMES BRADBERRY SAMFORD
204: R6P29 OT JOHN THEUS GEORGIA
208: R6P33 CB MORGAN BURNS KANSAS STATE.....monster in the return game
214: R6P39 WR DANIEL BRAVERMAN WESTERN MICHIGAN
221: R6P46 QB JEFF DRISKEL LOUISIANA TECH
243: R7P22 CB BRANDON WILLIAMS TEXAS A&M
250: R7P29 DE ERIC LEE SOUTH FLORIDA....placed Lee since the composite did not have him
I would have drafted the best OLman available at 96 instead of Correa, and 3 CBs (although Burns is really a Returner) might be too much at one position. I do like the other 2 CBs, and would switch Burns with a LB, since I didn't take one at 96.

First I've heard of Eric Lee; I'm gonna have to do some research on him.

I would have drafted the best OLman available at 96 instead of Correa, and 3 CBs (although Burns is really a Returner) might be too much at one position. I do like the other 2 CBs, and would switch Burns with a LB, since I didn't take one at 96.

First I've heard of Eric Lee; I'm gonna have to do some research on him.

there was poor OL value at 91 or 96....not just picking one to pick one...got just as good at 204 as what was available at 96
Correa is good value and adds depth
the 3 CB's are all physical specimens.......unless value is there, I'm going with athleticism in rounds 6 and 7

Ok, where do we fit a new backup QB into our draft plans

Ok, where do we fit a new backup QB into our draft plans

Day 3. We only need him for 4 games and then can effectivelt redshirt him for the redt of the year and have him ready in case we trade JimmY G the following year. Kevin Hogan and Vad Lee would be my two guys but I could see Jake Rudock or Brandon Allen (hand size?) getting a look.

You're probably right, but after that miserable performance in the POs vs KC, he might have to settle
for the so-called "prove-it" deal, and what better way to prove it than by being the starting QB of the
NEP for 4 games and leading them to a 3-1 record? Then maybe a contender with a QB injury trades
for him at the deadline.

My last 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft

60. Vonn Bell SS Ohio State

This is just a typical BB move. BB loves his safeties in the 2nd Round.

61. TRADED TO RAIDERS FOR #75, #114, #154
Patriots get picks in the 3rd round and 1 in the 4th and 1 in the 5th where we have no picks.

75. Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech
Dixon is one of my favorite RB's in this draft.

91. Jalen Mills CB LSU
We need depth at CB and he is a tall corner that can be the #2 and move Ryan to the slot.

96. (COMP) Yannick Ngakoue OLB Maryland
He is my draft binky, he has been flying up draft boards and he is a sack machine.

114. Keyarris Garrett WR Tulsa
He is a tall WR that has speed and can stretch the field. Some compare him to Randy Moss.

154. Kevin Hogan QB Stanford
With Brady suspended, Grop in his final year of his contract, it is time to develop another QB. HE has a wonderlic score of 38.

204. TRADED TO JAGUARS FOR 2017 5th

208. (COMP) Joe Haeg OT NDSU
We need solid depth on the Oline.

214. (COMP) Glen Gronkowski FB Kansas State
Gronk's brother, can run and catch. Why not give him a try?

221. (COMP) Nile Lawrence-Stample DT Florida State
After losing Easley, this is a need.

243. TRADED TO EAGLES FOR 2017 6th

250. Antonio Morrison ILB Florida
We are thin at LB so he would add solid depth.

154. Kevin Hogan QB Stanford
With Brady suspended, Grop in his final year of his contract, it is time to develop another QB. HE has a wonderlic score of 38.

243. TRADED TO EAGLES FOR 2017 6th

Two points here:
(1) Garoppolo has two more years on his deal.
(2) The trade you suggest here almost never happens. Teams don't generally view 7s as anything more than more shots at the dartboard. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing a trade like this.

Two points here:
(2) The trade you suggest here almost never happens. Teams don't generally view 7s as anything more than more shots at the dartboard. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing a trade like this.

Well, 7s are essentially cheap, high-priority UDFA signings. So I could see a scenario where a teams would do it.

Two points here:

Happened last year. Dallas traded their 2016 6th for SF's 7th last year.

No sense in starting a whole new thread, but here is my final 7 round mock for the patriots that I posted over at nepatriotsdraft.com.
My Patriots 7-Round Mock Draft | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

Round 2 (60)-Xavien Howard, CB-Baylor: The Patriots fill one of their biggest needs with one of my favorite players, it’s almost too perfect.

Round 2 (61)- Austin Johnson, DT- Penn St.: Highly productive big man who can play the run and bring some interior pass rush. He and Brown would create a great young interior defensive line.

Round 3(91)- Trade to New Orleans for (113 and a 2017 3rd round pick)

Round 3(96 compensatory)- Joe Haeg, OT-South Dakota State: I get my developmental Tackle that can be a swing Tackle year one while he develops his strength. Long term answer at LT but could be ready to play RT full time by next year.

Round 4 (113)(from New Orleans)-Jonathan Williams, RB- Arkansas: I get a steal here with a guy I am higher on apparently than the rest of the draft community. My future bell cow can rotate with Blount this year and then be ready to take over as the lead back next year.

Round 5 (169) (from Detroit)-Keyarris Garrett,WR- Tulsa: The Patriots trade picks 196 and 204 to move up for Garrett. Garrett has great size for the position who can win at all levels. He is a body type that the Patriots do not have and while he may not be a burner on the outside, he can win jump balls down field and he uses his body to shield out defenders on slants and comebacks. He should be an ideal #2 after some developmental time.

Round 6 (208) (compensatory)- Brandon Allen, QB-Arkansas: Allen does not have great measurables, but he has “it” when you watch him. I think he will develop into a good backup who could come in and win a game or two when needed

Round 6 (214) (compensatory)- Dominique Robertson, OT- West Georgia: With this pick I get another young developmental Tackle that I can groom. He has all the athletic traits you look for, just needs some time to acclimate to the speed and power of the NFL.

Round 6 (221) (compensatory)- Dan Vitale, FB/TE- Northwestern: The Patriots bring in the “super” back to do a whole bunch of things. Year 1 he is an emergency option at TE and a backup at the FB position. His versatility will be appealing.

Round 7 (243)- Justin Zimmer, DT- Ferris State: It’s that time of the draft where you start playing the lottery. Zimmer is an intriguing prospect from a size and athleticism standpoint. He put up good production at a very low level of competition, but his traits are what NFL teams look for.

Round 7 (250)- Ed Eagan, WR- Northwestern State: Belichick and company just cannot pass up on another Julien Edelman type receiver to groom for the future. Eagan will be a practice squad player for a year or two and then we all will be talking about how we don’t need Edelman anymore because we have the younger version of him on the bench.

BB have made some Major Draft Reaches in the past so I am not opposed to WR:Keyarris Garrett with any of our early picks...one of these years we will get it right at WR.

No sense in starting a whole new thread, but here is my final 7 round mock for the patriots that I posted over at nepatriotsdraft.com.
My Patriots 7-Round Mock Draft | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

Round 2 (60)-Xavien Howard, CB-Baylor: The Patriots fill one of their biggest needs with one of my favorite players, it’s almost too perfect.

Round 2 (61)- Austin Johnson, DT- Penn St.: Highly productive big man who can play the run and bring some interior pass rush. He and Brown would create a great young interior defensive line.

Round 3(91)- Trade to New Orleans for (113 and a 2017 3rd round pick)

Round 3(96 compensatory)- Joe Haeg, OT-South Dakota State: I get my developmental Tackle that can be a swing Tackle year one while he develops his strength. Long term answer at LT but could be ready to play RT full time by next year.

Round 4 (113)(from New Orleans)-Jonathan Williams, RB- Arkansas: I get a steal here with a guy I am higher on apparently than the rest of the draft community. My future bell cow can rotate with Blount this year and then be ready to take over as the lead back next year.

Round 5 (169) (from Detroit)-Keyarris Garrett,WR- Tulsa: The Patriots trade picks 196 and 204 to move up for Garrett. Garrett has great size for the position who can win at all levels. He is a body type that the Patriots do not have and while he may not be a burner on the outside, he can win jump balls down field and he uses his body to shield out defenders on slants and comebacks. He should be an ideal #2 after some developmental time.

Round 6 (208) (compensatory)- Brandon Allen, QB-Arkansas: Allen does not have great measurables, but he has “it” when you watch him. I think he will develop into a good backup who could come in and win a game or two when needed

Round 6 (214) (compensatory)- Dominique Robertson, OT- West Georgia: With this pick I get another young developmental Tackle that I can groom. He has all the athletic traits you look for, just needs some time to acclimate to the speed and power of the NFL.

Round 6 (221) (compensatory)- Dan Vitale, FB/TE- Northwestern: The Patriots bring in the “super” back to do a whole bunch of things. Year 1 he is an emergency option at TE and a backup at the FB position. His versatility will be appealing.

Round 7 (243)- Justin Zimmer, DT- Ferris State: It’s that time of the draft where you start playing the lottery. Zimmer is an intriguing prospect from a size and athleticism standpoint. He put up good production at a very low level of competition, but his traits are what NFL teams look for.

Round 7 (250)- Ed Eagan, WR- Northwestern State: Belichick and company just cannot pass up on another Julien Edelman type receiver to groom for the future. Eagan will be a practice squad player for a year or two and then we all will be talking about how we don’t need Edelman anymore because we have the younger version of him on the bench.

Nice mock.mwe can agree to disagree on your first as pick as discussed. But liking Jonathan Williams more than the rest of the draft community?should have read " the rest of the draft community bar one". ;)

Your day three picks are interesting. It will be interesting to look into Zimmer, Robertson and Eagan if we end up with any of them.

One question. How would you feel about Marquez North if Garrett was off the board? Who would be your second choice if Garrett is off the board there?

Realizing that most of the guys I like, Kenny Clark, Jason Spriggs, and A Shawn Robinson will be well off the board before we pick, therefore I am mocking the following:

Round 2 (60)-Ridgeway DT Texas - Not because he was a teammate of Browns, but because of his ability to take on blockers and stand his ground. He is out of shape, but in year 1 he will be rotating with Branch.

Round 2 (61)- Jenkins OLB Georgia - There has to be a reason the Pats have made contact with him so much this offseason.

Round 3 (91)- Haeg OT North Dakota State - Dancing Bear feet.

Round 3 (96 compensatory)- Ward DE Illinois - 5 Technique that can set the edge.

Round 6 (196) - Reynolds RB/WR/KR/QB - BB kind of player. Mr. Versatility.

Round 6 (204) - Powell FS Ohio State - Throwing Urban a bone.

Round 6 (208) (compensatory)- Kwiatkowski LB - Special teams demon in training.

Round 6 (214) (compensatory)- Killebrew SS/LB Southern Utah - Hard hitter and potential special teams demon.

Round 6 (221) (compensatory)- Vitale, FB Northwestern - Jack of all trades, master of none.

Round 7 (243)- Seau LB- Nevada - Purely sentimental BB.

Round 7 (250)- North WR Tenn - Can he be a "Z"?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back